Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738065

Subject: "Hunters (Prime, 2020)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Mon Feb-24-20 09:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hunters (Prime, 2020)"
Mon Feb-24-20 09:03 AM by navajo joe

Holy shit is this show a hot fucking mess. The premise is great, hell there are even some good things about it. But there are so many mindbogglingly bad choices that just sink this and it was pretty much a slog to get through. The showrunners are not nearly as clever as they think they are and with every cutaway you can hear the writers' room patting itself on the back.

The casting of The Hunters (aka The Uncharasmatic Basterds) outside of Al Pacino, Saul Rubinek and Carol Kane ranges from medicore to 'how do you have a job as an actor?' I spent many scenes wondering if those three veterans were at all embarrassed by the writing. There's a way to make this show that's a success but this ain't it.

There's some fun and even great work turned in by a really going for it Dylan Baker, Jerrika Hinton (who more than holds her own in a scene w/ Pacino), Greg Austin, Lena Olin, and that gas station from 'The Irishman' but ultimately they are letdown by their writers and directors.

Josh Radnor's character is hands down one of the worst characters in anything I've seen in anything and the dips dramatically in quality every time he's on screen.

The show is setup to continue but I can't imagine it will. Grindhouse pastiche already has a limited audience even when it's done well. For it to be done poorly and about the Holocaust is enough to sink this on its own. But the resolution of this season heading into season 2 nearly ensures this will be a one-and-done. A single season 'Hey Remember that show about Al Pacino as a Jewish Nazi Hunter? What were they thinking?!' curio.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
haha i might not be as passionate but i pretty much agree
Mar 11th 2020
Honestly, I think I had that same question at the time
Mar 11th 2020
I couldn’t finish this
Mar 14th 2020

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Mar-11-20 04:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "haha i might not be as passionate but i pretty much agree "
In response to Reply # 0

there was definitely potential for it to be great. definitely thinks i enjoyed but overall it is a mess. my biggest gripe is that there was so much exposition. it really felt like what freshman in college for design would make if someone gave them money.

hoping you or someone else that watched it can answer the below.

there was a flashback showing meyer helping ruth get on a truck in the camp right? then he gets shot and ruth drives away with some other dude. uhm...how did they both end up back in camp? did i miss that? i would expect meyer to be dead at that point and for ruth to also be killed if they were caught. that was kind of weird.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Wed Mar-11-20 08:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Honestly, I think I had that same question at the time"
In response to Reply # 1

and forgot about it (like the show did). I legit have no idea how or if that was made clear in the show.

Yeah this had all the pieces to be a great show but they fumbled tremendously. I would be SHOCKED if they got a second season. This came and went so fast and got no discussion here or anywhere else not even much for the "controversy" which no one cared about enough to really become an actual controversy.

Damn shame.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 08:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I couldn’t finish this"
In response to Reply # 0

I made the decision to bail at the point where they referenced “fan fiction” in the 1970s or when they shot a flamingo.

>Holy shit is this show a hot fucking mess. The premise is
>great, hell there are even some good things about it. But
>there are so many mindbogglingly bad choices that just sink
>this and it was pretty much a slog to get through. The
>showrunners are not nearly as clever as they think they are
>and with every cutaway you can hear the writers' room patting
>itself on the back.
>
>The casting of The Hunters (aka The Uncharasmatic Basterds)
>outside of Al Pacino, Saul Rubinek and Carol Kane ranges from
>medicore to 'how do you have a job as an actor?' I spent many
>scenes wondering if those three veterans were at all
>embarrassed by the writing. There's a way to make this show
>that's a success but this ain't it.
>
>There's some fun and even great work turned in by a really
>going for it Dylan Baker, Jerrika Hinton (who more than holds
>her own in a scene w/ Pacino), Greg Austin, Lena Olin, and
>that gas station from 'The Irishman' but ultimately they are
>letdown by their writers and directors.
>
>Josh Radnor's character is hands down one of the worst
>characters in anything I've seen in anything and the dips
>dramatically in quality every time he's on screen.
>
>The show is setup to continue but I can't imagine it will.
>Grindhouse pastiche already has a limited audience even when
>it's done well. For it to be done poorly and about the
>Holocaust is enough to sink this on its own. But the
>resolution of this season heading into season 2 nearly ensures
>this will be a one-and-done. A single season 'Hey Remember
>that show about Al Pacino as a Jewish Nazi Hunter? What were
>they thinking?!' curio.
>
>

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738065 Previous topic | Next topic