Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738006

Subject: "Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Sat Feb-15-20 09:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma, 2019)"

some old guys walked out on this in the theatre. it disgusted them, LOL.

France, 1770. Marianne, a painter, is commissioned to do the wedding portrait of
Héloïse, a young woman who has just left the convent. Héloïse is a reluctant bride
to be and Marianne must paint her without her knowing. She observes her by day,
to paint her secretly.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma, 2019)
Feb 18th 2020
legit
Feb 18th 2020
Excellent film.
Feb 21st 2020
great acting but the excessive classicism held the movie back
Mar 02nd 2020

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 05:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma, 2019)"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw this at TIFF back in September, think NA premiere, was one of my favourite films of the festival, really well done. I'd highly recommend to anyone who I didn't have reason to think would walk out on it lol.

I watched Moonlight again a little while ago and sort of feel that they make pretty solid companion pieces, a lot of the promotion for Portrait has involved the director discussing it as being about the 'female gaze' and desire and waiting, and I feel Moonlight in that romantic sense is about the same thing between two different characters, while having two separate backdrops concerning race or gender respectively.

---------------------
Obviously White

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 06:01 PM

2. "legit"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Feb-18-20 06:08 PM by Crash Bandacoot

it might be one of the best love/relationship movies i've ever seen. not saying it's
perfect but, the way in which it conveys love is basically art. really good movie to
watch with a significant other (good or bad). yeah moonlight was a different take
on the same subject matter ("forbidden" love).

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 01:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Excellent film. "
In response to Reply # 0

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Mon Mar-02-20 11:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "great acting but the excessive classicism held the movie back"
In response to Reply # 0

I was really engrossed by the specific focus on the role of female artists, a topic that historically has been mostly absent to say the least (Camille Claudel being the one example I can think of), which is likely explained in part to how few opportunities have been given to women to direct movies. The film has some gorgeous shots, with bright lighting that serves as reflection of the titular character's boundless spirit. But overall I thought the movie was much too didactic and scholarly, with the love story at its core not that interesting despite Haenel and Merlant (a real revelation here) being incandescent at times. Ultimately I thought the heightened formal restraint worked against the movie, though I'd be willing to try it again sometime (still, I saw it last fall and haven't felt any desire to catch it on its current theatrical run).

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738006 Previous topic | Next topic