Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737791

Subject: "Picard" First topic | Next topic
stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12097 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 10:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Picard"

Starts tonight.

There doesn't seem to be much of a Star Trek contingent around here. But maybe there are a few who, like me, have been looking forward to it for months.

Stewart, Chabon, Borg, "Synths", Romulan refugees, a big pile of money, and a pitbull named "Number One." If this show delivers on its promise it could be the best thing to ever come out of the franchise.

We'll see.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It might be because a lot of us don't fux with CBS Access
Jan 23rd 2020
^^ this
Jan 23rd 2020
I'm pretty sure they have a free option.
Jan 23rd 2020
      oh I didn't know this...thanks for the heads up
Jan 28th 2020
           Turns out I was wrong.
Jan 28th 2020
I’m in this boat. I love Star Trek but I don’t have CBS Access
Jan 24th 2020
My wife is bonkers excited for it
Jan 23rd 2020
Okay, the first episode is FUCKING fantastic.
Jan 23rd 2020
Yeah yo I'm excited
Jan 24th 2020
Good first ep, IMO
Jan 25th 2020
RE: Picard
Jan 29th 2020
This was fun as hell / dumb TNG questions
Jan 30th 2020
RE: This was fun as hell / dumb TNG questions
Jan 31st 2020
      Thanks!
Jan 31st 2020
Episode 3:
Feb 06th 2020
That was kinda weird.
Feb 07th 2020
RE: That was kinda weird.
Feb 08th 2020
Spoiler:
Feb 21st 2020

BigWorm
Charter member
10365 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It might be because a lot of us don't fux with CBS Access"
In response to Reply # 0

I even borrowed a friend's account to watch the new Twilight Zone and the first two eps of Discovery. After that I was like nah I'm good.

Maaaayybe if people start raving about Picard. That's a big maybe. With Netflix and Amazon and Hulu and Disney+ and HBO Now, I personally might have reached my limit.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
3658 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 03:35 PM

2. "^^ this"
In response to Reply # 1

I was never a huge Trek guy, but the trailers for this look cool. I'm intrigued...but not enough to cop yet another streaming service.

If this were on Amazon or some shit I'd be down.

I haven't seen a single episode of the other new Trek for the same reason.

They should put old Letterman episodes on that shit. I'm trying to think of anything else CBS has that could sweeten the pot, and I got nothing.

stravinskian
12097 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 05:42 PM

3. "I'm pretty sure they have a free option."
In response to Reply # 2

It plays commercials during act-breaks or something, like a network broadcast. I haven't used it though.

I'm enough of a Trek fanatic that I've had CBS All Access from the start, even between seasons. But I've never watched anything other than Discovery and the three or four disappointing episodes of Twilight Zone that I got through. Occasionally I go there to catch a Colbert interview or something. Even the old Star Trek shows I still watch on Netflix, maybe just out of habit.

I'd definitely watch old Lettermans if they posted them, but I'm probably one of very few. More importantly, Dave's CBS deal was so good that I think now he actually owns the episodes. So they'd have to cut a deal for that.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
3658 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 06:30 PM

9. "oh I didn't know this...thanks for the heads up"
In response to Reply # 3

>
>It plays commercials during act-breaks or something, like a
>network broadcast. I haven't used it though.

I'll have to look into this...

>
>I'm enough of a Trek fanatic that I've had CBS All Access from
>the start, even between seasons. But I've never watched
>anything other than Discovery and the three or four
>disappointing episodes of Twilight Zone that I got through.
>Occasionally I go there to catch a Colbert interview or
>something. Even the old Star Trek shows I still watch on
>Netflix, maybe just out of habit.
>
>I'd definitely watch old Lettermans if they posted them, but
>I'm probably one of very few. More importantly, Dave's CBS
>deal was so good that I think now he actually owns the
>episodes. So they'd have to cut a deal for that.
>

Didn't know that, good for him. Of course, that makes me feel it is far less likely old episodes will ever see the light of day...

stravinskian
12097 posts
Tue Jan-28-20 08:55 PM

10. "Turns out I was wrong."
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Jan-28-20 09:22 PM by stravinskian

The tier with commercials is cheaper ($6 instead of $10), but there isn't a free option, other than a 1 week trial period.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
11692 posts
Fri Jan-24-20 07:55 PM

7. "I’m in this boat. I love Star Trek but I don’t have CBS Access"
In response to Reply # 1

Walleye
Charter member
14691 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 08:08 PM

4. "My wife is bonkers excited for it"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not averse, but I didn't watch it growing up and this will be the first Star Trek series that I may actually watch in any sort of complete, systematic way.

In any event, I'm gonna watch it. I'm actually more curious to see how committed TNG fans react to it than anything.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

stravinskian
12097 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 10:02 PM

5. "Okay, the first episode is FUCKING fantastic."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-23-20 10:06 PM by stravinskian

A LOT of shit in there for the hardest of the hardcore Trek fans. Callbacks to isolated incidents and characters from major and minor episodes, quotes of musical themes going all the way back to the original series. We've been getting A LOT of hokey fan service from Star Trek lately. This is not that. The writers are the fans here.

But it's very much also modern, 'gritty', world-building, peak-streaming TV. I don't think you'd have to have seen a single episode of Star Trek to get into it. I'm obviously very biased, so I could be wrong about that.

The first episode of Discovery made me a little sad and embarrassed (though it eventually had its moments, and I think it's set up something great for next season). The first episode of Picard has exceeded my stratospheric expectations.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52147 posts
Fri Jan-24-20 12:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Yeah yo I'm excited"
In response to Reply # 5

I think there was really solid world building going on here. I can't wait to see where this story goes.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Rockscissorspaper
Charter member
2024 posts
Sat Jan-25-20 11:00 PM

8. "Good first ep, IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing mind blowing. Mostly set up for the rest of the season, obviously.

-----------------------------

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
3743 posts
Wed Jan-29-20 10:18 AM

11. "RE: Picard"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll wait for it to finish, do a 7 day trial and binge.

Walleye
Charter member
14691 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 01:00 PM

12. "This was fun as hell / dumb TNG questions"
In response to Reply # 0

I really liked it. In my view, sci-fi as a genre inherited a film/literature project that came more from westerns (like, cowboy shit - not "the west" as a cultural phenomenon) than from hardboiled/noir. The latter has an anthropology that fits more closely with my own in the sense that it has a Catholic view of the perfectibility of the human person rather than a Calvinist one - but that observation isn't a necessity. Nobody has to do it that way, and I've really enjoyed some of the exceptions, like Blade Runner.

This one is starting off structurally like noir. It's got a central mystery that really feels like it's going to pull the noir feint of not ending up as the actual mystery. And we've got a tired and (sorta) reluctant "detective" in Picard. That makes me really happy.

I have one dumb TNG question that I'm just going to ask here because I was embarrassed to ask my wife: was Data canonically different from all other synthetic beings in the series as well? or is that new information?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Nopayne
52147 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 12:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: This was fun as hell / dumb TNG questions"
In response to Reply # 12

>
>I have one dumb TNG question that I'm just going to ask here
>because I was embarrassed to ask my wife: was Data canonically
>different from all other synthetic beings in the series as
>well? or is that new information?

Data was always considered unique. At the time, he was the most advanced synthetic lifeform in terms of his ability to learn and adapt to others around him (technically there were a few others who were his relatives but we can ignore them for now).

---
Love,
Nopayne

Walleye
Charter member
14691 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 10:24 AM

14. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 13

That's heartening. I was curious how they'd deal with new viewers for a continuation (of sorts) for a series that had such a devoted following. Seems like they found a fluid way to do exactly enough exposition for a newbie like me. Not clunky (and was that Allison Pill?) and only the information that I need to follow the Picard plot without doing homework.

--Walleye's Dad

Nopayne
52147 posts
Thu Feb-06-20 09:55 PM

15. "Episode 3:"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-06-20 10:14 PM by Nopayne

Am I crazy or is Dr. Jurati a plant? How did she randomly show up with a disruptor?

---
Love,
Nopayne

stravinskian
12097 posts
Fri Feb-07-20 05:27 PM

16. "That was kinda weird."
In response to Reply # 15
Fri Feb-07-20 05:35 PM by stravinskian

Maybe the idea is it was dropped by one of the guys our heroes had just handled. That wouldn't really make sense, though, because it would mean she ran in to the fracas. I assume it was just a trope for comic effect, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they engaged in misdirection with some of the characters. They certainly did that with Discovery (for that reason I kinda doubt they'd do it here; but if the whole season is gonna be about the Tal Shiar...).

Great ep, though.

Speaking of plants: this might be obvious and it might just be a stylistic device. But there are flowers, especially orchids, all over the place in this show. Dahj/Soji's dad is an orchid expert (Bruce Maddox's new profession? Or do the people who Dahj and Soji consider their parents even exist?). Dahj has a variety named after her. There were some weird moving orchids in Dahj's apartment. Picard was arranging flowers before the doctor arrived. And then in ep 3, whatsername plucked something out of an orchid and smoked it. I think there were more examples I'm forgetting. Don't know if it means anything but I'm watching for it now.

Also, after we found out that Maddox is supposedly on "Freecloud" I'm sure I wasn't the only person to look up the lyrics to the Bowie song (Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud) to see if there might be clues in it about what's ahead. I imagine the reference is intentional. It looks like they're gonna meet their swordsman friend there, but I don't remember him having particularly wild eyes.

Nopayne
52147 posts
Sat Feb-08-20 09:55 PM

17. "RE: That was kinda weird."
In response to Reply # 16

>Maybe the idea is it was dropped by one of the guys our
>heroes had just handled. That wouldn't really make sense,
>though, because it would mean she ran in to the fracas. I
>assume it was just a trope for comic effect, but I certainly
>wouldn't be surprised if they engaged in misdirection with
>some of the characters. They certainly did that with Discovery
>(for that reason I kinda doubt they'd do it here; but if the
>whole season is gonna be about the Tal Shiar...).
>
>Great ep, though.
>

They keep doing weird things and I can't decide if it's Discovery sloppiness or actual plot points lol. Another one was when Dahj got killed they made a point out of saying that there wasn't a trace of her body left iirc.

>Speaking of plants: this might be obvious and it might just be
>a stylistic device. But there are flowers, especially orchids,
>all over the place in this show. Dahj/Soji's dad is an orchid
>expert (Bruce Maddox's new profession? Or do the people who
>Dahj and Soji consider their parents even exist?). Dahj has a
>variety named after her. There were some weird moving orchids
>in Dahj's apartment. Picard was arranging flowers before the
>doctor arrived. And then in ep 3, whatsername plucked
>something out of an orchid and smoked it. I think there were
>more examples I'm forgetting. Don't know if it means anything
>but I'm watching for it now.

I haven't noticed the orchid motif but I'll definitely keep an eye out.

>
>Also, after we found out that Maddox is supposedly on
>"Freecloud" I'm sure I wasn't the only person to look up the
>lyrics to the Bowie song (Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud) to see
>if there might be clues in it about what's ahead. I imagine
>the reference is intentional. It looks like they're gonna meet
>their swordsman friend there, but I don't remember him having
>particularly wild eyes.
>

Maybe I misunderstood the preview for next week but I don't think we're going to get to see Feecloud just yet. We'll see!

---
Love,
Nopayne

stravinskian
12097 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 05:36 PM

18. "Spoiler:"
In response to Reply # 15

God dammit Aggie!

Even after you said it, I didn't see it coming. Especially after they showed us that they'd been together. Actually really strong writing. They let us (or at least me) think she was freaking out over the stress of the rescue operation, when in fact she was freaking out over what she'd have to do if the operation succeeds.

They'd put so much work into making her the "Ensign Tilly" of this show, which I guess she still might be. But the Commodore must have terrified her about something.

By the way, when they talk about the "Fenris rangers," I assume that's a reference to "Fenrir's wolf," or "the Fenris wolf," who in Norse mythology kills Odin at the end of the world. They're certainly setting up poor Soji to do something terrible. And either the rangers or the Romulans (Romulus and Remus were wolves in Roman mythology) to stop her. I hope it's not another "AI kills all the people" story, but I guess that's the assumption they intend for us to make.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737791First topic | Next topic