Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737709

Subject: "2020 Academy Award Nominations" Previous topic | Next topic
BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Jan-13-20 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2020 Academy Award Nominations"

I (or someone else) can post the entire list of nominees, but here are the highlights:

-Parasite was nominated for best picture, the first for a Korean film.
-Parasite was also nominated for best foreign film, which means it'll probably get Roma'd
-ScarJo was nominated twice, best actress for Marriage Story, supporting actress for JoJo Rabbit. Will probably lose both.
-Laura Dern FTW
-Both Pesci and Pacino nominated for The Irishman, best supporting actor. My money is on Brad Pitt, but it'd be nice to see Pesci win.
-Tarantino for best screenplay
-Endgame for visual effects, will probably lose to 1917 because the Academy hates the MCU
-Phoenix for best actor, will clearly win (though I personally hated Joker)
-Somehow Joker was nominated for best adapted screenplay. Adapted from what? Taxi Driver I guess.
-Bong Joon-ho nominated for Best director, although my guess is this will be a Scorsese or Mendes win.
-Joker for best score.
-I Lost My Body for best animated film. It *should* win. Catch it on Netflix because it's really good.
-Biggest snubs: Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler. Because the Academy hates SNL.

Mostly nothing surprising.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
joker got mad nominations.
Jan 13th 2020
Right?
Jan 13th 2020
Did ScarJo really need two noms? Bunch of boring nominations
Jan 13th 2020
think it's finally time for me to sit one out
Jan 14th 2020
Would it be a good idea for a block of Hollywood to start their own show...
Jan 14th 2020
But that's not really the point, I don't think.
Jan 15th 2020
      I agree...
Jan 15th 2020
Four movies I love and only two I hate up for Best Pic. Decent ratio!
Jan 15th 2020

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Jan-13-20 03:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "joker got mad nominations."
In response to Reply # 0

i musta watched the wrong joker.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Jan-13-20 06:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Right?"
In response to Reply # 1

I won't even say "overrated."

It was just not good.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Mon Jan-13-20 05:05 PM

2. "Did ScarJo really need two noms? Bunch of boring nominations"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8436 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "think it's finally time for me to sit one out"
In response to Reply # 0

watched about 30mins of the Golden Gloves before realizing I was putting in more effort sitting on my couch than Gervais was hosting it. Decent year for movies IMO, too bad the Academy will never reflect that

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 07:34 PM

5. "Would it be a good idea for a block of Hollywood to start their own show..."
In response to Reply # 4

On on hand the Academy rarely recognizes, either thru nominations or awards, edgier but more in-depth work. It has a horrible track record in terms of any form of inclusion. And due to its demo, those trends aren't likely to change anytime soon.

That being said, the Academy is a private organization and if that's the way they want to roll, God Bless 'em.

So, wouldn't it be a good idea for POC and a more progressive group of White artists, just decide to start their own awards show that highlights excellence besides old, White men making war movies?

There are plenty of talented folks throughout Hollywood who could put something really good I would think if they had a year or two to plan everything out.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jan-15-20 12:27 AM

6. "But that's not really the point, I don't think."
In response to Reply # 5

The point is that the Hollywood establishment, those with the power, still overlook, take for granted, and/or willfully ignore POC and female creatives. Starting their own would create another trophy but wouldn't really serve to further the discussion that OscarsSoWhite stirs up annually. That pressure led to the Academy making big changes (not big enough, but a start) and awarding more POC and female creatives than before in the last decade (not remotely enough, but again, a start). More pressure should lead to more change.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Wed Jan-15-20 02:25 AM

8. "I agree..."
In response to Reply # 6

But at some point, it causes frustration to have to shame people into being fair and paints doubt about if the motivation of the Academy is to really embrace the notion of inclusion or just stay out of the press.

I do see and think your point about the influence the Oscars and the other major awards have on the tastemakers who greenlight movies is important and one I didn't consider when making my reply. The Oscars do launch some actors and filmmakers into opportunities that were closed off to them before winning or being nominated. The more chances for underrepresented folks to get shine the better it is for art and culture.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jan-15-20 12:32 AM

7. "Four movies I love and only two I hate up for Best Pic. Decent ratio!"
In response to Reply # 4

It's usually worse! lol

Todd Phillips for Director is the most egregious miss in that category since Morten Tyldum five years ago.

Outside of the absurdly stacked Best Supporting Actor category, it's pretty light in the rest of the acting category. Very glad Pugh and Banderas made it-- two of my favorite performances of the year-- but fairly weak overall otherwise. The lack of Dolemite, Uncut Gems, and Lighthouse love overall is baffling.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737709 Previous topic | Next topic