Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737447

Subject: "The Witcher (Netflix)" Previous topic | Next topic
josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 02:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Witcher (Netflix)"

Anyone else check this out? I did not see a post. I have not read the books and have only played 3 so i am sure there is stuff i did not get, but i am gonna watch again and also start the books. Visually i thought it was pretty dope. I can't decide about the dragon visuals but something about them looked a bit off. Acting i thought was very good and the Jenifer transformation was super dope.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought it was pretty bad.
Dec 23rd 2019
most pretty-cool-pretty-terrible ass show ive ever seen i think
Dec 30th 2019
lol.. I'm like... it's half GOT half Xena Warrior Princess...
Dec 30th 2019
oh yeah. extremely in
Dec 30th 2019
The show isn't good enough to pull off timeline fuckery
Dec 30th 2019

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 05:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I thought it was pretty bad."
In response to Reply # 0

Came into it with low expectations though, so I was entertained enough to watch all 10 episodes.

Never read the books, played games 1 & 3 for a bit, didn't have too much trouble following the story (once I figured out they were doing some clumsy converging timelines thing), but the writing was terrible. Jarring shifts in tone all the time, no world building, and weird unnecessary exposition.

It just drops new characters on you without any sort of interesting way to introduce them, and they basically stay paperboard cutouts until their supposedly dramatic deaths. They're just not memorable enough, either through writing or acting. Geralt himself has always been some slightly smarter than average teenage boy's fantasy of "Real Cool Man" and is just not going to carry anything, and there's a complete lack of high quality antagonists like Cersei or wildcards like the Hound. Yes, I'm comparing to GoT, they started it.

The action is well done and it mostly looks good, but everything else just screams "forgettable". I'll check a season 2, but I seriously doubt this series is long for this world.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Mon Dec-30-19 11:27 AM

2. "most pretty-cool-pretty-terrible ass show ive ever seen i think"
In response to Reply # 0

story was borderline impossible to follow early on. pretty cheeseball scenes but I wanted to enjoy it bc im a high fantasy fan (GoT bookreader) and Superman plays the role really well. I liked Yennefer a lot and wanted to be a fan but whew... some of it is just so bad. turned the subtitles on and that helped a bit.

and of course, nothing gets patched up or resolved bc they wanted to do a S2. Stranger Things-esque.

-----------------------------------------

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Dec-30-19 01:59 PM

3. "lol.. I'm like... it's half GOT half Xena Warrior Princess..."
In response to Reply # 2

I suspended expectation and just went with it... lol I'll probably watch season 2... it's cheese but sometimes cheese is just what's called for.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Mon Dec-30-19 05:42 PM

5. "oh yeah. extremely in"
In response to Reply # 3

that final battle reminded me of South Park psychic episode.

we still have legitimately ZERO. IDEA. what that little princess is, can do, anything. and im sure those magical lady-elves had NO CLUE who that imposter was... lets have thousands year old magic tree shade from humanity but cant figure out that isnt a human.

but anyway. im all in til the end. for sure.

-----------------------------------------

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52627 posts
Mon Dec-30-19 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "The show isn't good enough to pull off timeline fuckery"
In response to Reply # 2

It doesn't warrant enough of my attention to keep track of when we are and how it relates to the big picture. I kinda just regarded it as a series of loosely related scenes after a while.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737447 Previous topic | Next topic