Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737393

Subject: "TV: What's your top 10 of the decade?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 04:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"TV: What's your top 10 of the decade?"

Only one rule. Had to start 2010 or after (no Mad Men or Breaking Bad). Mini-series are ok though.

Mine below:

10. Louie - Obviously overshadowed by real life events but this show was damn brilliant.

9. Gomorrah - I have only seen 2 seasons, and have to figure out where to find the rest. No show has pulled me in more tho.

8. Fargo - Season 1 = so good. Season 3 = decent. Season 2 = maybe the best season of anything all decade.

7. Better Call Saul - Gets better as it goes on, and as good as Mckean was I’m glad the Chuck stuff is out of the way. I dunno of it’s a knock on BCS if the more it just becomes Breaking Bad the better it is.

6. Succession - Best show of the year imo, and I think it could take the crown at some point. On the other hand, I have no idea how this show goes beyond 3 seasons.

5. Black Mirror - Brilliant at its best, and even at its worst it’s damn near always interesting.

4. The Americans - Imagine if Game of Thrones stuck the landing as flawlessly as The Americans. Quality shit all around.

3. Justified - This show only ever got better.

2. Game of Thrones - i think the painful fall off in the last couple (especially last) seasons has made a lot of people forget just how amazing GoT was for 4 seasons (and the end of 5), but for me unlike LOST, the end didn’t at all ruin what came before.

1. Atlanta - There’s really nothing like it.

a few honorable mentions
Mr Robot - I'm behind
The Night Of - Aside from Atlanta my favorite thing of 2016. dunno how it would hold up on a repeat viewing.
True Detective - This is really only based on 95% of the first season which was incredible. I thought all three endings were underwhelming tho.
Narcos - This is just my shit.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
shit, i forgot the Deuce
Dec 20th 2019
Twin Peaks takes multiple spots on my list.
Dec 20th 2019
RE: TV: What's your top 10 of the decade?
Dec 20th 2019
man, Better Things is a gem
Dec 20th 2019
      I really enjoyed the last season
Dec 24th 2019
i know The Knick is on there for sure
Dec 21st 2019
Mr Robot, Atlanta, GOT, The Americans, Watchmen
Dec 21st 2019
Terriers, Adventure Time, Atlanta, You're the Worst
Dec 21st 2019
Terriers. I just realized half my list is FX shows.
Dec 21st 2019
      Its ratings were clearly intolerable
Dec 21st 2019
           GET STUMPED
Dec 23rd 2019
                Are we saying STUMPED? (also, yes!)
Dec 23rd 2019
                     it's so much better than I ever expected it could be
Dec 23rd 2019
fuck. i also forgot Ozark
Dec 21st 2019
I didn't watch much TV.
Dec 22nd 2019
shit, just realized The Pacific makes it.
Dec 22nd 2019
My take
Dec 23rd 2019
let me try this
Dec 23rd 2019
My favorites. Not in order.
Dec 23rd 2019
REPLACE THIS IS US WITH WHEN THEY SEE US
Dec 23rd 2019
Boardwalk Empire should have been the best show of the decade
Dec 23rd 2019
      I checked out at the end of S2
Dec 23rd 2019
      yeah they kinda followed the Sopranos/Mad Men model
Dec 24th 2019
      that might be the worst season of the show
Jan 03rd 2020
      I’ve been meaning to rewatch the series. I wonder if it’s aged well...
Dec 23rd 2019
three more FX shows that should get some love
Dec 23rd 2019
The Bridge is another show i felt never lived up to its potential
Dec 23rd 2019
I'm late on everything. but uh... Rick & Morty and Always Sunny lead my...
Dec 23rd 2019
Dexter doesn't count, but i got into it a few years ago as well
Dec 24th 2019
      RE: Dexter doesn't count, but i got into it a few years ago as well
Dec 26th 2019
Dec 23rd 2019
Sponge, you're the king of good stuff I've never heard of
Dec 24th 2019
      You're just gonna pretend like "Red Shoe Diaries" didn't exist?
Dec 24th 2019
           lol. last few years of Shameless have really done a number on my opinion
Dec 24th 2019
idk if I have a list, but I think Man Seeking Woman
Dec 23rd 2019
That was a weird little delight
Dec 23rd 2019
yup. so many folks popped up during its run
Dec 26th 2019
also Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was consistently as good as anything else
Dec 23rd 2019
I haven't finished The Knick, gotta shout out Rubicon for pra'verbs
Dec 23rd 2019
Fam... when I was thinking of my list, this definitely came to mind.
Dec 26th 2019
      it was really. good.
Dec 26th 2019
Dec 23rd 2019
list:
Dec 23rd 2019
I just wanna give a little love to Black-ish
Dec 25th 2019
Mines
Dec 26th 2019
lol Blue Bloods
Dec 26th 2019
I forgot some
Dec 27th 2019
      "Mom" is such a throwback
Dec 27th 2019
Dec 26th 2019
Cobra Kai has no business being that good.
Dec 26th 2019
      Cobra Kai is "things I never knew I needed" status
Jan 07th 2020
I may come back to this post later
Dec 26th 2019
c'mon, bro
Dec 26th 2019
      The first rule of OKP is...
Dec 26th 2019
           Lol all good, man
Dec 26th 2019
Regular Show and Rick and Morty get a nod
Dec 27th 2019
My show watching dropped dramatically after 2 kids
Jan 03rd 2020
Snowfall is starting to exceed my expectations
Jan 03rd 2020
solid list. Nice to see Justified so high!
Jan 03rd 2020
thanks. funny thing is i nearly omitted it
Jan 03rd 2020
mine
Jan 03rd 2020
Question: Aren't ALL of these about bad people?
Jan 03rd 2020
have you seen the later seasons of Gomorrah?
Jan 03rd 2020
      i watched most of season 3 and then it stopped working
Jan 10th 2020
Some shows I haven't seen mentioned yet.
Jan 03rd 2020
since you mentioned Happy Endings I'll raise you with New Girl
Jan 03rd 2020
Parts Unknown
Jan 03rd 2020
does succession get a lot better after the 1st season?
Jan 06th 2020
nvm i got my answer.
Jan 07th 2020
      yep. it could go either way during the middle of S1
Jan 07th 2020
           great end to season 2.
Jan 08th 2020
Off the top... plus some overrateds...
Jan 07th 2020
Definitely forgot about The Leftovers...
Jan 08th 2020
Upon evaluation and reflection, here's my real list: (definitely screwed...
Jan 11th 2020
      Impractical Jokers is so good
Jan 17th 2020

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 05:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "shit, i forgot the Deuce"
In response to Reply # 0

might bump 9 or 10 for that.

The Deuce was amazing

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12692 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 05:32 PM

2. "Twin Peaks takes multiple spots on my list."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-20-19 05:34 PM by stravinskian

(It might not fit the rules if we consider it a "third season," but officially it was a "limited event series.")

I'd echo a bunch of the shows you listed. The only ones I wouldn't are things I STILL haven't gotten around to watching yet. It's been a fantastic decade for TV.

But Twin Peaks was like an entirely new art form. Easily the greatest film David Lynch has ever made, and it's eighteen hours long, with very few moments out of place.

I fully understand that a lot of people couldn't get into it. But for me, there's never been a more satisfying thing on TV. I can only hope Showtime (against all reason and logic) throws another mountain of money at him for the story of Carrie Page.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21495 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 07:08 PM

3. "RE: TV: What's your top 10 of the decade?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-20-19 07:09 PM by Mgmt

You have an excellent list.

Succession
The Deuce
Mr Robot
Gomorrah
Fleabag
Watchmen (slides in before the close)
Fargo
Louie (and Better Things and Horace and Pete)

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 10:20 PM

4. "man, Better Things is a gem"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Dec-20-19 10:20 PM by Mynoriti

I haven't seen the new season so I'm curious if there's any notable difference in the writing

Horace and Pete is incredible

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5288 posts
Tue Dec-24-19 03:40 AM

33. "I really enjoyed the last season"
In response to Reply # 4

I think her writing was more prevalent in the show than Louis so it did not fall off too bad.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 08:19 AM

5. "i know The Knick is on there for sure"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-21-19 08:20 AM by Madvillain 626

i haven't seen The Americans or Justified, and i stopped watching Fargo halfway through season 1 and never caught up. Plan to get going on those over the holidays.

Twin Peaks might be my number 1, can't believe Lynch pulled that off. Rectify doesn't get enough love either, that one is top 5 for me and damn near nobody mentions it.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 11:34 AM

6. "Mr Robot, Atlanta, GOT, The Americans, Watchmen"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 12:01 PM

7. "Terriers, Adventure Time, Atlanta, You're the Worst"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-21-19 12:04 PM by Walleye

Beyond Veronica Mars, Terriers is the only show that I've seen that understands the moral universe of the hardboiled fiction tradition. And it's last couple episodes finish was... whoo. Just a beautiful show. The only upside of it getting canceled so brutally was that it never got a chance to have an imperfect episode.

I love Adventure Time because so much popular fiction gets its die hard fan support from building detailed and well-integrated worlds, but I think Adventure Time did it more courageously and weirdly than any of those. The finale was probably the best example of this, showing an astonishing comfort in messing with the boundaries it'd drawn while simultaneously affirming them.

Atlanta doesn't need me to bat for it. And neither does this forum because somebody's going to do it better.

You're the Worst hit me just right at just the right time. I doubt a lot of folks are going to remember it a decade from now, but the sitcom is a pretty important part of American art and I really appreciated the degree to which the folks who worked on this seemed to believe that the form could be something important and meaningful.

*disappointed that "Community" misses this cut-off by a couple of months. It arrived fully formed but wouldn't have likely made many "best of 00's" lists and it's best two seasons 2 and 3 both occurred in this decade and were better than pretty much anything else I watched during the period in question. But rules are rules.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 01:11 PM

8. "Terriers. I just realized half my list is FX shows."
In response to Reply # 7

I'm surprised they didn't give this one more of a shot. Then again I didn't watch either until 2 years after it got canceled

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 01:27 PM

9. "Its ratings were clearly intolerable"
In response to Reply # 8

I don't know a lot about how those things work, but I watched the show during it's original run and remember its outrageously bad numbers showing up pretty regularly in reviews as it neared the end of its run and critics started waiting on a season two decision. The narrative eventually became "this is going to be the truest test of how much a network can commit to quality because everybody who watches it loves it but that's, like, a dozen people."

Lot of recriminations about the title too. I don't think that people were passing on it because they thought it was a show about dogs, but it definitely didn't help. Mostly, I think that a bit of hardboiled fiction as traditional and pure as Terriers is tough to sell as a TV show because it's not, in itself morally ambiguous so much as it crashes a detective's hard-earned moral clarity against ambiguous outcomes. Plus, working in the Raymond Chandler lane means that it shouldn't look gritty. These are stories about ugly truth in a beautiful, sunny setting. That seems hard to market without looking like Nash Bridges.

I realized the FX thing as I was writing too, and your list was even more thorough on that front. Good for those guys. It's a network that seems really committed to quality programming that isn't guaranteed to be popular. I remember Alan Sepinwall pointing out that this is actually what doomed Terriers - FX had a really deep bench, so they didn't have to chose between "popular" and "critically" acclaimed. They could easily have both. True in 2010. Truer as we head into 2020.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 03:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "GET STUMPED"
In response to Reply # 9

Stumptown is literally network TV terriers.

Donal Logue even shows up literally playing his role from terriers

literally

GET STUMPED

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 04:56 PM

23. "Are we saying STUMPED? (also, yes!)"
In response to Reply # 20

It's really fun. If you'd pitched me "Cobie Smulders as Raymond Chandler" I'd have been a hesitant "okay" but they're nailing it. I was in even before Donal Logue showed up, but now I'm good for some delighted hooting and hollering whenever he's onscreen.

Good call. Stumptown is a worthy successor, and even if it doesn't end up as good, it scratches my hardboiled itch magnificently.

--Walleye's Dad

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "it's so much better than I ever expected it could be"
In response to Reply # 23

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 03:23 PM

10. "fuck. i also forgot Ozark"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-21-19 03:25 PM by Mynoriti

probably still in honorable mentions because I don't know what i'd bump. I'd probably feel differently if I was just coming off watching.

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Sun Dec-22-19 06:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I didn't watch much TV."
In response to Reply # 0

True Detective (Season 1) was the best thing I've seen since The Sopranos were on, however. rewatched it twice and it holds up beautifully.

just finished Watchmen and it's up there as well.

Game of Thrones (Season 1 and Season 6). Parks and Recreation (Season 3) was a Seinfeld (Season 4) or The Office (US Season 2) type run: just back-to-back-to-back episodes of perfect comedy.

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Sun Dec-22-19 10:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "shit, just realized The Pacific makes it."
In response to Reply # 11

switch it out for the disqualified Parks and Rec. I like my war movies with a good bit of nihilism, so I prefer The Pacific's bleakness to Band of Brothers.

--------

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 12:42 PM

13. "My take"
In response to Reply # 0

This was tough. There are plenty of “great” shows I genuinely respect, but for whatever reason, just can’t get myself to finish (Mr.Robot, Americans) that I obviously couldn’t put on my list. Even then, 10 is tough. But this is what I settled on:

Leftovers
Atlanta
Succession
The Expanse
Mindhunter
Black mirror
Fargo
The good place
GOT

Legend of Korra standout on the list, tm but fully stand behind that. Great world building, incredible creativity, and imo better than the original.

barely Missing the cut:
Veep
The crown
Stranger things
Watchmen. ( I’ve been saving the finale, and actually planning a rewatch as most of the episodes so far I’ve watched distracted, so this could easily be in the top 10)

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 01:55 PM

14. "let me try this"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Mr. Robot
2. Ozark
3. Black Mirror
4. Good Omens
5. The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt
6. Atlanta
7. Key and Peele
8. Orphan Black
9. The End of the F***ing World
10. Barry

Game of Thrones should be number 1, but the last season ruined it. And Stranger Things would have been on the list two if only seasons 2 and 3 had lived up to the first season.

And I want to put Silicon Valley on there but it doesn't quite beat out any of the other shows on the list.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 02:34 PM

15. "My favorites. Not in order. "
In response to Reply # 0

- Luther
- Top Boy
- Black Mirror
- David Makes Man
- This is Us
- The Good Place
- Barry
- Bojack Horseman
- Atlanta
- Boardwalk Empire

I also have Big Mouth & Billions...and I REALLY liked Season 1 of Russian Doll. This is harder than I thought. First couple seasons of Queen Sugar were amazing too.

CherNic
37156 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 03:20 PM

17. "REPLACE THIS IS US WITH WHEN THEY SEE US"
In response to Reply # 15

How DARE I?!?!

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 04:56 PM

22. "Boardwalk Empire should have been the best show of the decade"
In response to Reply # 15

and maybe of all time.
it was a really really good show filled with unbelievable talent, but for some reason it just never quite turned that corner. I'm not sure why it didn't get there. Maybe it just meandered too much.

>I also have Big Mouth & Billions...and I REALLY liked Season 1
>of Russian Doll.

Everyone i know loves this show but i couldn't get past 2 or 3. I have an irrational aversion to Natasha Lyonne. I probably need to give it another shot at some point.

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 05:12 PM

25. "I checked out at the end of S2"
In response to Reply # 22

>and maybe of all time.
>it was a really really good show filled with unbelievable
>talent, but for some reason it just never quite turned that
>corner. I'm not sure why it didn't get there. Maybe it just
>meandered too much.

but I felt like Boardwalk never knew where it wanted to go, ultimately. all the great shows seem to have that part figured out.

--------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Tue Dec-24-19 01:06 PM

34. "yeah they kinda followed the Sopranos/Mad Men model"
In response to Reply # 25

unfocused story-wise. but as good as Buscemi was, Nucky wasn't nearly as engaging as Tony Soprano or Don Draper.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 08:35 AM

57. "that might be the worst season of the show"
In response to Reply # 25

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

CherNic
37156 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 06:17 PM

29. " I’ve been meaning to rewatch the series. I wonder if it’s aged well..."
In response to Reply # 22

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 02:40 PM

16. "three more FX shows that should get some love"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-23-19 03:08 PM by Numba_33

are The Bridge and Legion. While I wouldn't rank it as top tier television, I remember The Bridge doing a stellar job with it's story telling and the acting didn't take me out of the show too much from what I remember. Also, the last two seasons for Legion might have been subpar, but outside of the last five minutes of the season finale, that first season of Legion was pretty magical. The first season did a great job in creating captivating television for a comic book character that appeared to be pretty nebulous and hard to pin down. Another FX show that deserves some mention is Taboo. Total shame FX gave up on this show after one season. Tom Hardy is a fairly big name, so I'm somewhat surprised this had low ratings.

One final show that deserves some love if Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. One of a kind show that I'm sure had dismal ratings and was run and created by a dude that was caught up in some #metoo accusations as well.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 07:13 PM

31. "The Bridge is another show i felt never lived up to its potential"
In response to Reply # 16

it had all the pieces but somehow i felt like it always fell kinda short

Taboo is an interesting one. Worth seeing just for Hardy. It was a bit too bleak for me but i liked it enough and expected it to come back. I think BBC is still supposed to release season 2

I never saw Legion

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 03:37 PM

18. "I'm late on everything. but uh... Rick & Morty and Always Sunny lead my..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-23-19 03:49 PM by Cold Truth

I just got up on both shows during this summer, and I'm blown away by how fantastic they both are.

Rick and Morty is a unique show, adding a quality sci-fi bent to what could easily have been just another good adult-oriented animated show. Instead, we have something much, much more. Sure, we get great parody, good jokes, etc.

But there's an ever-growing mythology around Rick, peppering us with his nihilistic tendencies and posing some very real, relatable existential questions. We get interesting, nuanced family dynamics, etc, all wrapped inside some of the best sci-fi adventuring on TV.

Always Sunny just plain gold, and is in many ways the opposite of Rick and Morty.

No thoughtful introspection. Just awful, awful, awful. Just terrible, horrible, no good, very bad people, all with the goal of reminding you that they have no redeeming qualities, whatsoever. It's got every ounce of awful present in Shameless, and absolutely none of the heart, and somehow they've managed to find the funny in that premise for 13 seasons.

I've got a few more serious joints on my list, such as GOT, but I'm not sure I've watched enough new material during that time to get a real list going.

I just got put on to Dexter last year, and I found that to be a very compelling show from a moral standpoint."The Code", in and of itself, gives Dexter a lot to chew on for the duration. Still haven't caught the last 5 episodes or so though but I'm intrigued by how that ends.

After that.... Succession, Watchmen, The Punisher, Better Call Saul, F Is for Family.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Tue Dec-24-19 03:29 PM

35. "Dexter doesn't count, but i got into it a few years ago as well"
In response to Reply # 18

Really enjoyed the first couple seasons, then it started to fall, then the Lithgow season was stellar, then it started falling off again. I think i tapped out one or two eps into season 6.

>I just got put on to Dexter last year, and I found that to be
>a very compelling show from a moral standpoint."The Code", in
>and of itself, gives Dexter a lot to chew on for the
>duration. Still haven't caught the last 5 episodes or so
>though but I'm intrigued by how that ends.

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 11:45 AM

44. "RE: Dexter doesn't count, but i got into it a few years ago as well"
In response to Reply # 35

>>and of itself, gives Dexter a lot to chew on for the
>>duration. Still haven't caught the last 5 episodes or so
>>though but I'm intrigued by how that ends.
>

I'd advise you to stop watching now. lol last season was a complete disaster and finale one of the worst of all time.

Sponge
Charter member
6673 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 03:49 PM

19. "RE: TV: What's your top 10 of the decade?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-23-19 03:56 PM by Sponge

The le Carre joints The Little Drummer Girl and The Night Manager are some great stuff. Especially the former. Park Chan-wook and Kim Woo-Hyung brought the goods. IMHO, one of the most impressive cinematographic works I've ever seen. The camera movement, shot selection, framing, color palette, etc. Fuckin' wow. And Florence fuckin' Pugh.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Penance is probably top 10.

Top 4 probably: Mr. Robot, Atlanta, Better Things (s1 and s2, haven't seen s3 yet), and The Good Place (haven't seen final season yet).

Greatest season of the decade: True Detective season 1

I wanna show some love for I'm Sorry season 1 (s2 on my dvr unwatched; s3 about to start in January). Andrea Savage kinda breaks character too much (smirking, laughing ala Seinfeld acting in Seinfeld) but she's still great. Great cast: Greer, Mantzoukas, Kathy Baker, et al.

Entertaining stuff: Billions, House of Lies, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Tue Dec-24-19 03:47 PM

36. "Sponge, you're the king of good stuff I've never heard of "
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Dec-24-19 03:50 PM by Mynoriti

have to look into some of that lol.

>Greatest season of the decade: True Detective season 1

Was excellent, though i remember being disappointed in the ending. I don't even remember what happened. Just that I was underwhelmed. The other 2 seasons had Scooby Doo endings.

>Entertaining stuff: Billions, House of Lies,

Has Showtime ever had a truly great show? Whenever it seems like they got there, it never holds. Early Homeland was so good. Billions peaked in S2, Ray Donovan never really turned the corner. Their shows all seem to hit a ceiling early then spin their wheels. Those 3 are at least still watchable for me, but The Affair, Shameless, Dexter, are all shows that were once good but got so bad I tapped out. The Chi has potential but I started losing interest in that one too last season. Couldn't get through S1 of City on a Hill. Buncha recycled Boston tropes. I guess the Twin Peaks crowd will say it's that but that's not really a Showtime original.

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Tue Dec-24-19 04:13 PM

37. "You're just gonna pretend like "Red Shoe Diaries" didn't exist?"
In response to Reply # 36

Or is it that you don't think David Duchovny reading soft core pornography to his dog is good television?

I actually think that Shameless' peak was as good and as long as any great show of the last decade. It just held on so long that the bad seasons are really piling up.

--Walleye's Dad

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Tue Dec-24-19 05:11 PM

38. "lol. last few years of Shameless have really done a number on my opinion"
In response to Reply # 37

of it as a whole

which is a bummer, but i wish i'd have quit around 6 or so.

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 04:01 PM

21. "idk if I have a list, but I think Man Seeking Woman"
In response to Reply # 0

is going to be a completely forgotten FX show, and it was really good

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 04:58 PM

24. "That was a weird little delight"
In response to Reply # 21

I really enjoyed that. Good cast too. Beyond the stars, just top to bottom "hey it's that guy/woman!" of excellent comedic actors whose name I cannot remember.

--Walleye's Dad

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 04:19 AM

42. "yup. so many folks popped up during its run"
In response to Reply # 24

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 06:02 PM

27. "also Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was consistently as good as anything else"

on TV

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 06:08 PM

28. "I haven't finished The Knick, gotta shout out Rubicon for pra'verbs"
Mon Dec-23-19 06:10 PM by Rjcc

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 03:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
40. "Fam... when I was thinking of my list, this definitely came to mind. "

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 04:18 AM

41. "it was really. good."
In response to Reply # 40
Thu Dec-26-19 04:19 AM by Rjcc

and it's no one's fault that there's so many other good FX shows, but I really think it stands up with all of them

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 06:17 PM

30. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-23-19 06:18 PM by RobOne4

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10114 posts
Mon Dec-23-19 07:24 PM

32. "list:"
In response to Reply # 0

gomorra
better call saul
the knick
ozark
luther
peaky blinders
fleabag
atlanta
true detective
taboo
happy valley

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16833 posts
Wed Dec-25-19 09:00 PM

39. "I just wanna give a little love to Black-ish"
In response to Reply # 0

it's not a sexy pick or a critical darling but it genuinely makes me laugh and the Obama episode and the one about how Diane is darker than the rest of the family were 2 of the best episodes of TV in a long time.

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 11:36 AM

43. "Mines"
In response to Reply # 0

Stuff I liked:
(Tie) - Adventure Time and Rick and Morty - These are the same show - one's just written by an alcoholic (well 2 alcoholics.)

Bob's Burgers - Very comforting and very funny. But I do think the first 4 seasons are funnier than the current seasons.

CW superhero stuff (Flash, Arrow, DC Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Batwoman, Black Lightning.) Some is lighthearted and fun - some are over dramatic violent soap operas - but the crossover episodes are excellent.

BoJack Horseman - This show is funny and somehow makes you liek watching these very flawed (and sometimes jsut bad) people.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - A comedy news show that actually spends more than 10 minutes on a single subject. Maybe it's training people how to pay attention for a little longer.

Limitless - Spin off from a stupid movie - and the first 3-4 episodes were dreck. But they leaned into having fun with it and by the end it was fun. I predict this would have been a hit if it was on Showtime and could curse and have more sex.

Atlanta - Brought a new tone and color to TV comedy.

Legion - The first episode could have been lengthened by 30 minutes and this would have been a hit movie.

Watchmen - Very Satisfying - we've talked this one to death.

--

Shows that capture how bad the U.S. is -
Louie - Even before the #metoo revelation Louie was a miserable fucking person. I honestly though he was going to commit suicide.

American Pickers - Two dues buy garbage from the mentally ill and resell it for huge profits.

GOT - Sex and Violence, Sex and Violence, Sex and Violence me Can't Take It

2 Broke girls - Sure they are very attractive laddies - but these jokes were all short and brutish.

The Voice, et. al - several episodes a season making fun of people with hope and dreams but not raw talent - then dozens of episodes of soulless karaoke.

The Blacklist - A very pretty lady and a very talented James Spader is pure dreck.

Blue Bloods - Tom Seleck has played this conservative wet dream fantasy Police Commissioner of new York longer than he played Magnum. If your family member voted for Trump they likely watched this. Typical episode: The police do something wrong or awful. There's good discussion between the peopel who call them out for it and the police. The police are judged to be 100% correct.

Scorpion - Nerds with severe mental issues save the world each episode. Pretty lady in it tho.

God Friended Me - There's always a GOD show on - but the premise that God uses Facebook is just pure shit.

--
Pure shit
All reality shows.

All competition shows EXCEPT Penn and Teller's Fool Us - which is more of a showcase than a competition.

Fox news.

All shows about serial killers.

All true-crime podcasts.

The politically correct people (20%) and the pushback from assholes (80%.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 06:03 PM

48. "lol Blue Bloods"
In response to Reply # 43

Seems to be considered a great show by boomers. Pretty much everyone i know who watch are family members and extended family members. Most of them don't like Trump, but they're all of a certain age group.

Pretty accurate assessment of the show though. It's more of a a show for the Mitt Romney/David Frum type republicans than the hardcore Trumpers. There's always a lesson of the day, and it's usually that liberal side of this, though understandable at times is at best misguided, over-emotional, and at worst, dangerous, and this is why the police are right and unfairly chastised.

>Blue Bloods - Tom Seleck has played this conservative wet
>dream fantasy Police Commissioner of new York longer than he
>played Magnum. If your family member voted for Trump they
>likely watched this. Typical episode: The police do something
>wrong or awful. There's good discussion between the peopel who
>call them out for it and the police. The police are judged to
>be 100% correct.

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 02:42 PM

53. "I forgot some"
In response to Reply # 43

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Season 1 is ESPECIALLY good. You WILL be confused for 8 episodes, then delighted for the remaining when it all somehow makes sense.

Doom Patrol - Another weird but wonderful 'sueprhero" show that will go mostly unseen because it was streaming on DC's service only. Jane is a great character, as is Rita, as is Robotman, as is Mr Nobody as is Danny the Street.

Mom - A TV show about recovering alcoholics and drug addicts - and while it may not be great - it certainly shows a cast of people that this decade wasn't great at showing - people with real problem who are broke trying to cope.

Unforgettable - A procedural TV show about a detective with "hyperthymesia" which is the ability to remember almost everything. The weird part is that the actress Marilu Henner has this extremely rare condition and was a consultant on the show. Just weird.

The Tick - Fun adaption of The Tick on amazon. Season 1 only really.

------------

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 02:49 PM

54. ""Mom" is such a throwback"
In response to Reply # 53

I absolutely couldn't watch more than ten minutes of it at a time because of how uncomfortable it made me. And you nailed the reason: broke people struggling through real problems (on top of being broke)

though I'd add that doing that in a sitcom format is the edgiest move on the show's part, because it reveals something troubling about us (and by "us" I mean "me" since this is my problem I'm describing - though I suspect I'm not alone) and a built-in cultural distaste for the idea of poor people enjoying themselves ever.

It says nothing good about me and a bunch of good stuff about the show that I can't watch it, but I still can't.

--Walleye's Dad

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 12:02 PM

45. "RE: TV: What's your top 10 of the decade?"
In response to Reply # 0

no order, these are ones I watched all of or still watching consistently.

Mr Robot

Twin Peaks The Return

Game of Thrones

The 100 (lol this is my cheesy addiction)

The Mandelorian

Cobra Kai

Stranger Things

Rick and Morty

Justified

Legion

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 06:28 PM

49. "Cobra Kai has no business being that good. "
In response to Reply # 45

I kept thinking there's no way this show won't be terrible. it's such a great time though.

Part of it is the the original KK is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, but that would only have made me hate Cobra Kai that much more had they fucked it up.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Tue Jan-07-20 09:59 PM

68. "Cobra Kai is "things I never knew I needed" status"
In response to Reply # 49

Such a pleasant surprise.

I think I'd have been happy with even a mediocre show, but the fact that it turned out to be as good as it is made it an absolute treat.

I do have one misgiving though: I can't stand the generic ass actor the got for Johnny's kid.

That dude looks like they plucked him from the mid-nineties, at a casting call for Shawn from Boy Meets World, or the Home Improvement kids.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 02:42 PM

46. "I may come back to this post later"
In response to Reply # 0

But was Mad Men not thought well of in this group? Also what about Breaking Bad? I guess both crossed over more than a lot of the shows listed and maybe are overlooked (as, us, media hipsters can do at times.)

I wasn't a big Breaking Bad fan but Mad Men was my joint. Loved watching that show.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 03:04 PM

47. "c'mon, bro"
In response to Reply # 46

It's literally the first line in this post lol

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 06:56 PM

50. "The first rule of OKP is..."
In response to Reply # 47

As we used to say in the day, 'RIF'.

What's funny is that I always dislike when make comments which don't mind the basic idea for a post.

Obviously not ending 2019 on a good note here.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Thu Dec-26-19 07:14 PM

51. "Lol all good, man"
In response to Reply # 50

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 11:28 AM

52. "Regular Show and Rick and Morty get a nod"
In response to Reply # 0

I almost prefer the former over the latter. R&M is quite funny and well written, but comes with more baggage from its fans that, while not specifically it's fault, can make it hard to recommend without turning some people off. Regular show just dropped you in a weird cast of characters with mundane jobs that got in unreal situations that still managed to be based on growing up. The last season was a little out there, but I still loved every minute of it. The Laserdics episode was sooo damn funny

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6375 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 01:39 AM

55. "My show watching dropped dramatically after 2 kids "
In response to Reply # 0

I have binge watched the majority of these programs so I have a very tight grasp of the plot and story but once I leave, it's like coming out of a cave. I probably have forgotten some just due to how long ago I binged through them. I also recognize I've committed to so few series that even many of those I've stuck with have dropped off precipitously so I will highlight their best season(s). Not a strict order:

Snowfall

The Deuce

Arrow, Season One: Really fucking hard to be this good for 20+ episodes.

The Boys

Black-ish - We watch it as a family and there is plenty of relevant and relatable content

House of Lies

Atlanta

Daredevil - Seasons 1 and 3

Punisher - Season 1

Power, Seasons 1-4

Watchmen - Not finished yet, but looks to be rounding out the list

Honorable Mention: Blacklist, Agents of Shield, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones Season 1

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 04:32 PM

62. "Snowfall is starting to exceed my expectations"
In response to Reply # 55

i mostly watched because it's LA shit. the first 2 seasons were good but kind of a mid level quality show by today's standards. I enjoyed it but figured that's as good as it's gonna get. S3 has it starting to break into that next tier though.

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 08:31 AM

56. "solid list. Nice to see Justified so high!"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 04:28 PM

61. "thanks. funny thing is i nearly omitted it"
In response to Reply # 56

because i thought it started in 2008 lol

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 08:45 AM

58. "mine"
In response to Reply # 0

1-GOT
2-Gomorrah
3-Homeland
4-Boardwalk Empire
5-Breaking Bad
6-Ozark
7-Narcos
8-Fargo
9-Better Call Saul
10-Rick and Morty

Others: Season 1 of True Detective, first two seasons of Bloodline, Shameless for the first few seasons before it went downhill, True Blood was highly entertaining before it went downhill, mini series Show Me a Hero is great, and the Deuce.

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 01:53 PM

59. "Question: Aren't ALL of these about bad people?"
In response to Reply # 58

>1-GOT
>2-Gomorrah
>3-Homeland
>4-Boardwalk Empire
>5-Breaking Bad
>6-Ozark
>7-Narcos
>8-Fargo
>9-Better Call Saul
>10-Rick and Morty
>
>Others: Season 1 of True Detective, first two seasons of
>Bloodline, Shameless for the first few seasons before it went
>downhill, True Blood was highly entertaining before it went
>downhill, mini series Show Me a Hero is great, and the Deuce.

Decade of the anti-hero?

------------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 04:34 PM

63. "have you seen the later seasons of Gomorrah?"
In response to Reply # 58

if so, how?

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:48 AM

73. "i watched most of season 3 and then it stopped working"
In response to Reply # 63

i was watching on firestick. This was like a year ago, I need to try again. The hold up of the American release is so annoying.

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 04:05 PM

60. "Some shows I haven't seen mentioned yet."
In response to Reply # 0

My picks would likely just repeat others already discussed, so instead I'll recognize some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Chef's Table and Parts Unknown - Two shows with so much more depth than you would expect from typical food TV. Both beautiful to look at, and - for me, at least - worthy of many a rewatch.

Hell on Wheels - The first season was pretty boring, but after that it really took off. Unfortunately by then, it was too late, and the show never really got the recognition it deserved. If I'm honest with myself, I probably enjoyed this more than Deadwood.

Wallander - Another beautifully shot show. Among the many, many European mystery shows I watched in the 10s, this was my favorite. (I just looked this up and it started in '08, but I'll leave it as it didn't end until '16.)

Parks and Recreation - Another show where the first season wasn't very good, but once it found its footing, it was perfect. Some truly memorable characters.

The Leftovers - I've said this here recently, but the second and third seasons of this show are two of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen. A show where I truly didn't know what to expect every week.

Hannibal - Far exceeds the move franchise. An amazing show that deserved to keep going, even though I have no idea how this was on network TV. When I think of Hannibal Lecter now, I don't think of Anthony Hopkins.

Happy Endings - This show was fucking hilarious and the cast had such great chemistry. I can only recall disliking one episode of the entire series.

The Fall - Probably my second favorite Euro mystery of the decade. I can't believe this guy went on to do those 50 Shades movies after this. Gillian Anderson was remarkable.

The Haunting of Hill House and Sex Education - Two that I wanted to mention, despite only having a season apiece right now. Two of my favorites from recent memory.

I'll stop there. I'm realizing I watched way too much TV this past decade...

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16833 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 06:17 PM

64. "since you mentioned Happy Endings I'll raise you with New Girl"
In response to Reply # 60

>Happy Endings - This show was fucking hilarious and the cast
>had such great chemistry. I can only recall disliking one
>episode of the entire series.

another great show to me, started off slow but when they hit their stride it was on. and those 2 seasons coach came by were fire. just wish they could have did something with Winston, they just couldn't figure out what to do with him

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Jan-03-20 10:52 PM

65. "Parts Unknown"
In response to Reply # 60

should definitely be in my top ten. I loved his previous shows, but he took It to another level with Parts Unknown. I think everyone should watch it. I miss him.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Jan-06-20 07:23 PM

66. "does succession get a lot better after the 1st season?"
In response to Reply # 0

cuz im a few episodes away from the finale and the dialog is just brutally contrived. most of these characters dont seem natural at all.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jan-07-20 04:27 AM

67. "nvm i got my answer."
In response to Reply # 66

it got good towards the end of season 1 and def a lot better in season 2.

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Tue Jan-07-20 11:19 PM

70. "yep. it could go either way during the middle of S1"
In response to Reply # 67

but the characters get really good (in a deformed way) over the last few episodes, and that finale is great

S2 is even better

--------

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Jan-08-20 12:53 AM

71. "great end to season 2."
In response to Reply # 70

the post crash transformation of kendall was one of the better character arcs in recent memory. he was kinda cheesy before that. then he really went in his bag after that. he played the humbled role a lot better. made the finale 'twist' all the more dramatic.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Tue Jan-07-20 10:14 PM

69. "Off the top... plus some overrateds... "
In response to Reply # 0

(in no particular order)
Game of Thrones - outside of the last season, this was outstanding
Better Call Saul - knee jerk says this is on course to rival BB
Rick and Morty - I really hope this can maintain the quality
Black Mirror - I LOVE this show, very rare missteps are even good
Watchmen - it only just started, but damn if this isn't a masterpiece already
This Is Us - can't help it, this is great
Mindhunter - love the characters, love the subject matter
Ozark - very similar to BB, but I find myself wanting to watch the next season yesterday
Stranger Things - doesn't everyone love this?
Agents of SHIELD - no, it hasn't always been good, but when it is good, it's absolutely fantastic (watch S4 and tell me it isn't great)

Just missed it...
True Detective - I even liked S2, still haven't seen S3, but S1 is awesome
The Mandalorian - brand new, but the best Star Wars has been in a very long time

As for the overrated...
Westworld - I don't hate it, but it is NOT the 2nd coming of GoT like HBO hoped
Stranger Things - yep, it's on both lists... it's good of course, but people salivate over this like it's among the best ever... I'm not going that far

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Wed Jan-08-20 11:59 PM

72. "Definitely forgot about The Leftovers..."
In response to Reply # 69

Wow, big misstep on my part... LOVE that show.

Get Out the Room

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Sat Jan-11-20 10:29 AM

74. "Upon evaluation and reflection, here's my real list: (definitely screwed..."
In response to Reply # 69

I'll chalk it up to not being posting for a long time...

The Top 10 (in no particular order):

Game of Thrones... Before S8, this was slated to be my favorite all-time. Now it sits just outside the Top 5 of that list. But up until S8, this is the most entertaining and engaging TV show I've ever seen (even including S7, some of the show's best moments fall into that season). With such a deep history and cast of characters, constant jaw-dropping moments, world-building... I can only imagine what would have been had they nailed the ending, but I cannot forget the path in getting there in the first place.

Black Mirror... When even the weaker episodes are good fun, you know something special is afoot. The best episodes are some of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen, period (my favorites are The National Anthem, San Junipero, USS Callister, Nosedive, and Striking Vipers). I think this might already be a Top 10 all-timer.

Better Call Saul... I once said that this show was on a trajectory to be better than BB; whether that is true or not remains to be seen, but this show is so much better than I thought it would be, and I look forward to each and every episode. One of the few I go out of my way to catch right away with each new release.

The Leftovers... Damon Lindelof's masterpiece as of right now until Watchmen catches up, however long that runs until. S1 was good, S2 and S3 were out-fucking-standing.

This Is Us... Not my normal TV show watching, but I'll be damned if this isn't one of the most consistently entertaining shows of all-time much less the last 10 years.

The Good Place... How could I forget this?? Great concept, great cast, great characters, with every episode changing things up, post-credits scenes that actually play into the next episode's story, I love this.

Mindhunter... The character building is nearly unmatched. I binged this all just recently and instantly fell in love with it. I cannot wait to see what else this show (apparently 5 seasons total are planned) has up it's sleeve.

Watchmen... Even after just one season, this is simply astounding comic book TV at the height of live-action comic book entertainment. I was left stunned throughout, and adding the legacy characters only made the show better.

Rick and Morty... I really hope this can maintain top-notch episodes as the show approaches the future. So far, it's been incredibly well-written and entertaining.

Daredevil... I suspect that these Marvel Netflix shows will get overlooked as time goes on, which is a shame, b/c regularly released R-rated MCU content was overall pretty good, especially Daredevil.

Honorable Mentions:

Impractical Jokers... It's a guilty pleasure to watch these guys crack each other up. And it came out in 2011!

Stranger Things... I'm not as big on this as other people, and I do believe it is slightly overrated, but that does not change the fact that the show is also awesome.

Agents of SHIELD... Not always great, but I've stuck it out, and S4 is outstanding.

Ozark... Very similar to BB, but still entertaining nonetheless.

The Mandalorian... This might be the best SW has been since the OG trilogy.

True Detective... Can't say enough about S1; I even liked S2 more than most did. STILL haven't caught S3 yet though :-/

Get Out the Room

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Jan-17-20 12:52 PM

75. "Impractical Jokers is so good"
In response to Reply # 74

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737393 Previous topic | Next topic