Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737317

Subject: "Free Next Day Shipping to 1300 Worlds - The Expanse Season 4 (2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Dec-17-19 08:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Free Next Day Shipping to 1300 Worlds - The Expanse Season 4 (2019)"

Thanks Bezos. You're horrible on many counts, but good looking out for saving The Expanse.

Season 4 Now available on Amazon Prime Video, after Seasons 1 - 3 were on SyFy.

If you've never seen the series, this is a good place to hop on, as this planet colonizing saga is kind of a standalone even in the books.

Production values are up (and they were good on SyFy), but this is gorgeous to look at. If you liked GoT (before they bammed it up), this is similar in structure as it tells multiple, complex and interwoven stories. The primary factions are Earthers, Martians and Belters. Earth runs the OG solar system. Mars is a colony that has been around for years and rivals Earth in military power, and the Belt refers to the people who have lived for generations in near zero gee, doing the grunt work of maintaining a nascent extra-planetary civilization, via mining in the asteroid belt on on the moons of planets.

In the end of Season 3, a long dormant bit of ancient alien biological technology (referred to as the protomolecule) awakens and builds a gate to multiple (1300 or so) other solar systems.

So humankind gets a boost, upending hundreds of years of politics and planning. (Martians live underground with a single minded focus on terraforming the next available planet into something habitable and prosperous, but now there are hundreds of habitable planets within reach, where none of that is necessary.

very well done both in writing and translation to the small screen. some cool characters, too.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Do yourself a favor and watch the 4K version if possible.
Dec 17th 2019
good looks. didn't realize that.
Dec 18th 2019
Thank you for the simple synopsis
Dec 18th 2019
yeah. they actually have had a good amount of exposition in the 1st
Dec 19th 2019
3 episodes in, thoughts:
Dec 20th 2019
it keeps bobbie in the mix, though. i don't remember specifically, but
Dec 21st 2019
How does this compare to Battlestar Galactica?
Dec 20th 2019
i never watched it so i can't call it. nm
Dec 21st 2019
better imo and I loved first few seasons of bsg
Dec 21st 2019
we rescued a pit mix mutt a few years ago and named him Amos
Dec 20th 2019
he's my favorite character, too, by far. if you fool w/ Amos you should
Dec 21st 2019
      thanks for the rec
Jan 04th 2020
Finally finished, good, not great
Dec 28th 2019
Yup I felt the same
Dec 28th 2019

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Tue Dec-17-19 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Do yourself a favor and watch the 4K version if possible."
In response to Reply # 0

For some stupid reason Prime has it listed separately from the SD/HD edition. I got like 1/4 the new season before figuring this out.

---
Love,
Nopayne

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Dec-18-19 01:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "good looks. didn't realize that. "
In response to Reply # 1

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Wed Dec-18-19 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Thank you for the simple synopsis "
In response to Reply # 0

I was interested in the show when it first aired on Syfy but never watched and when I tried to jump in it was too complex for me to stick with. If you're saying this season is the place to dive in I'll get it a try.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Dec-19-19 12:08 AM

4. "yeah. they actually have had a good amount of exposition in the 1st "
In response to Reply # 3

couple of eps this season. maybe for folks who are starting here. here's more of a primer of the key factions:

earth / UN - world government. 10b + ppl. half the population is on basic (income). Avasarala is the leader of that. they need the resources and products manufactured in the belt.

mars - rivals earth in military power. best tech. working on multi-generational plan to terraform mars, so they have a militaristic, collective driven consciousness to get things done and leave a legacy of open skies (instead of subterranean living) for their granchildren.

belt - the workers of the solar system. taken for granted. consequent chips on their shoulders. they've adapted over generations to near zero gee (in the books they are almost 7 ft tall). the OPA (Outer Planets Alliance) is kind of their PLO. sometimes political. will get busy if they need to. shit has calmed down recently but many still remember when they would harass UN and mars ships, and whatnot. b/c of the events of the previous seasons, a 'legitimized' faction of the OPA is in charge of Medina station, which sits in the ring space, a kind of null space between the 1300 rings (portals to other systems). it's the first really official recognition they've gotten from the Inners (derisive term for inner planets - earth and mars).

rings were just discovered a few years ago, and ppl are trying to run blockades and traverse the rings to colonize the new planets.

this season starts with some squatters on one of the new worlds - belters who came to mine and try to come up (gold rush) and tension with a corporation which has laid claim to the planet and it's resources.

the only other stuff is that the crew of the roci (rocinante) are a group that came together through the previous books. they introduce themselves through the early episodes as they encounter the two factions on the new planet. so you should learn who they are fairly quickly.

if you dig it, it'd be worthwhile to backtrack and watch from season 1.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "3 episodes in, thoughts: "
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure I’m loving the changes to the Mars plot. Forget if that was in the books or one of the short stories, but didn’t go down like that. But might get to a point where the changes make sense/were needed.

Like the foreshadowing of Marco so far. Wonder if we’ll actually see him this season.

I know this isn’t probably cool to say, but can’t help but think Naiomi ( specifically actress playing her) has become significantly less attractive than in past seasons. Had to be more than just the haircut

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 01:23 PM

8. "it keeps bobbie in the mix, though. i don't remember specifically, but"
In response to Reply # 5

in the book, i recall that she and avasarala were kind of put on a shelf while the rest of the crew was off on Ilus.

>Not sure I’m loving the changes to the Mars plot. Forget
>if that was in the books or one of the short stories, but
>didn’t go down like that. But might get to a point where
>the changes make sense/were needed.

>
>Like the foreshadowing of Marco so far. Wonder if we’ll
>actually see him this season.

THAT's what i think is happening. in the books they weren't very explicit about how mars (or a sizeable faction) made that switch. they setting up the long game. and letting bobbie get her solo on. it's different, but i like it.

>
>I know this isn’t probably cool to say, but can’t help
>but think Naiomi ( specifically actress playing her) has
>become significantly less attractive than in past seasons.
>Had to be more than just the haircut

she not getting smashed out in zero g, but more importantly, she has been undergoing serious physical stress this season. and makeup and her (via acting) doing a good job of portraying that weight.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 04:13 PM

6. "How does this compare to Battlestar Galactica?"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved BSG until they got off New Caprica, and then I thought it was all downhill form there.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 07:14 PM

9. "i never watched it so i can't call it. nm"
In response to Reply # 6

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 11:12 PM

11. "better imo and I loved first few seasons of bsg"
In response to Reply # 6

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 04:52 PM

7. "we rescued a pit mix mutt a few years ago and named him Amos"
In response to Reply # 0

because of the show lol. def our favorite character

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sat Dec-21-19 07:23 PM

10. "he's my favorite character, too, by far. if you fool w/ Amos you should"
In response to Reply # 7

>because of the show lol. def our favorite character

read The Churn (one of the novellas in the Expanse series). it deals explicitly w/ Amos' background on Earth, in Baltimore, and why he is the way he is.

very cool as a standalone. it's only 2.99 on Nook. its a good bit of story telling and character development.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Sat Jan-04-20 09:57 AM

14. "thanks for the rec"
In response to Reply # 10

I haven't read any of the books (nor the novellas), but I've bought my wife the new book each year for Christmas. She'd already read the most recent book, so I got her all the novellas on Kindle to help fill that gap lol

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Sat Dec-28-19 11:25 AM

12. "Finally finished, good, not great"
In response to Reply # 0

My feelings on the source material (this particular book) caught up with it as the season went on. The hype to have it back and on Amazon carried it early, but it did slow down and lose momentum in middle. Still good, and have really high expectations for next season. Some interesting choices:

- not sure I'm down with how much they've given already on the Marco plot. I loved how or came or of almost nowhere in the book. So much foreshadowing files the impact of the event imo.

- didn't enjoy avasarsla as much this season
- bring back the mohawk! I want my cute Naomi back

Right now I’m more excited for the final book, but the next season will be fire as well

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Sat Dec-28-19 07:39 PM

13. "Yup I felt the same"
In response to Reply # 12

I haven't read the books so I don't know where this is going but it felt like a filler season to me. None the plot lines were very interesting.

It looked great though.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #737317 Previous topic | Next topic