Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736831

Subject: "A Hidden Life (Malick, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"A Hidden Life (Malick, 2019)"

after the tedium that was Knight of Cups I took his next one off, but this is absolutely a return to form, his best movie since The Tree of Life or perhaps even The Thin Red Line (although I really like TTOL myself). It's shot in his idiosyncratic evanescent style and makes great use of the beautiful Alps scenery.
The film stays focused on the two main characters, giving it a sturdy base that really helps the story land. Those actors (August Diehl, Valerie Pachner) are really good, but the decision to have the main parts speak English while background stuff is in German is an astounding head-scratcher, especially since the vast majority of the actors are German speakers. I'm fairly certain the audience for a Malick movie wouldn't have an issue with reading subtitles, but maybe he wanted it to be in English to make things on the shoot easier? Or maybe Matthias Schoenaerts, who shows up for a bit, didn't feel like German lessons.

Anyway, I thought the story was very topical and thoughtfully handled, and the cinematography (Jorg Widmer) alone is reason to see it but I guess that's always somewhat true of a Malick movie.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This was a long movie. It was moving, but very long.
Sep 07th 2020
probably his most beautifully shot movie.
Oct 01st 2020

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Mon Sep-07-20 10:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This was a long movie. It was moving, but very long."
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Thu Oct-01-20 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "probably his most beautifully shot movie."
In response to Reply # 0

>Anyway, I thought the story was very topical and thoughtfully
>handled

extremely relevant today (really every day). despite the long length, the narrative is super direct, and paced for meditation.

>the cinematography (Jorg Widmer) alone is reason
>to see it

I'm a Malick stan, but he really outdid himself here. the way every scene is framed is gorgeous. when Franz gets called to duty and he's talking to his mother outside, with the perfectly overcast and slightly windy weather? so much of that throughout the entire film.

>after the tedium that was Knight of Cups

I liked Knight of Cups. more so than Song to Song, for whatever that's worth. did not care for To The Wonder (which is the only Malick film I really don't like).

--------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736831 Previous topic | Next topic