Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736777

Subject: "American Son (Netflix)" Previous topic | Next topic
jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Sat Nov-16-19 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"American Son (Netflix)"

this was a Broadway play that Kerry Washington was in that they adapted for a film. they kept it just like it was on Broadway with the exact same cast from the play and it's set in a single location. it's about a mom who's in a police station in the middle of the night looking for her son. the entire thing takes place in a police station waiting room. here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbKZlSwAS3M

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So I did get to see this back in September, it was interesting
Nov 20th 2019

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So I did get to see this back in September, it was interesting"
In response to Reply # 0

but I'm not sure how I felt about it after it all ended.

I didn't know too much about it as a play until I was just about to see it, so I'm not sure what the takes on the original play were, or if 'okp' would have a different take than the broadway audience, but I couldn't help but feel as the credits were rolling, and they invited the whole cast, director, and writer out on stage (it was a premiere in Toronto) that it kind of made sense the writer was a white dude. Not in the most egregious way, but some of underlying meaning in the story rubs me the wrong way in a modern context. They make a point of stating it's about the moment that family is going through, and to try to see it through the lense of feeling that feeling as a mother etc., and not as much about race, but it's impossible to remove the racial lens from the story and to judge how it handles race as a result.

I don't want to say too much that might spoil it, I think it could be a worthwhile watch, there is some strong acting obviously, if you like watching dialogue filled pieces like this. It did feel pretty obvious as a filmed version of a staged play, even where they come and go from the room, I do think it could have benefitted from a broader adaptation than just this one setting but apparently it was all they could do to get the og cast together for a week at best with their schedules to shoot it.

---------------------
Obviously White

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736777 Previous topic | Next topic