Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736186

Subject: "okayplayer has a show (kinda) - hip hop: the songs that shook america" Previous topic | Next topic
howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Oct-02-19 02:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"okayplayer has a show (kinda) - hip hop: the songs that shook america"

executive produced by ?uesto, black thought, and shawn gee along with alex gibney among others, on AMC as part of its visionaries series. if you have fond memories of the musical jewels and hip-hop tales shared on thissite, this one's for you.

https://www.amc.com/shows/hip-hop-the-songs-that-shook-america

the first episode has been available at the above link and elsewhere for a few weeks now, and it's on "jesus walks." i put off watching it, somehow unable to muster the enthusiasm, but i needn't have. as might be expected from the pedigree listed above, it's brilliant. i used to be such a fan, and i still learned a lot. the well-known but still enjoyable vintage footage was put to great use alongside new talking head interviews and location shoots. it's a nostalgia trip that is more importantly well done and informative. i thought it might be stretching my interest to focus an entire episode on one song, but by the end i could have easily watched more.

honestly, AMC visionaries is some of my favorite programming on tv right now, and i devour every series. this looks to be no exception. i've seen a little preview of the season but am avoiding looking ahead to exactly what's coming up. i just know it will be good. it starts officially on the 13th.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*bookmarks*
Oct 02nd 2019
did Jesus Walks really shake America? I always skip that track
Oct 11th 2019
RE: did Jesus Walks really shake America? I always skip that track
Oct 11th 2019
not that good of a song
Oct 15th 2019
Episode one is free download from iTunes
Oct 13th 2019

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41488 posts
Wed Oct-02-19 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "*bookmarks*"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "did Jesus Walks really shake America? I always skip that track"
In response to Reply # 0

& Never Let Me Down. Not even trying to be TOKPR but why that song...why not Through The Wire?

Anyway....I'll watch the Elevators and Alright episodes for sure.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 02:15 PM

3. "RE: did Jesus Walks really shake America? I always skip that track"
In response to Reply # 2

>& Never Let Me Down. Not even trying to be TOKPR but why that
>song...why not Through The Wire?

watch the show! but i know what you mean, i was thinking the same. yes, it was a single, but it's not my favorite either. i liked it, but now i appreciate it even more. i think "through the wire" could have been interesting for a few minutes, delving into the sample and the backstory behind the song, but to fit the runtime of the episode it'd have to be a de facto early kanye bio. this episode covered that but kept it in context of the song, which has enough layers to easily fill the hour. so if you are interested in that era of kanye and the roc then this episode is worth watching regardless of its exact focus. that said, the song sounded fresh to me after not listening for a few years, and it kind of has an edge to it.

>Anyway....I'll watch the Elevators and Alright episodes for
>sure.

"elevators" should be good and i hope a nice complement to the organized noize doc of a few years back.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Tue Oct-15-19 03:28 PM

5. "not that good of a song"
In response to Reply # 2

there was never a time in my life where i really liked it.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sun Oct-13-19 11:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Episode one is free download from iTunes"
In response to Reply # 0

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/jesus-walks-2004/id1481110080?i=1481894846

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736186 Previous topic | Next topic