Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735713

Subject: "Soul (Docter, 2020) costarring ?uestlove" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 10:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Soul (Docter, 2020) costarring ?uestlove"

https://ew.com/movies/2019/08/24/disney-pixar-soul-cast-jamie-foxx-tina-fey/

he cast of Pixar’s next next film is overflowing with its very title.

Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey will lead the voice cast for Pixar’s upcoming animated feature Soul, an original film helmed by Pixar staple (and newly minted chief creative officer) Pete Docter, who previously directed Monsters, Inc., Up, and Inside Out for the studio.

Daveed Diggs, Phylicia Rashad, and Questlove will also lend their voices to Soul, in an announcement made by Docter, producer Dana Murray, co-director and writer Ken Powers, and writer Mike Jones at Disney’s biennial fan expo D23 on Saturday.

Soul aims to crack open the origins of our passions, dreams, and interests that make us all human, according to Docter. “I’m directing a film that asks the ultimate question that we’ve all thought about at one time or another: Why am I here? Where did I come from? And what am I here for?” Docter revealed. “But who would make a cartoon about that? Metaphysics? We’re calling it Soul.”

Soul tells the story of an unsatisfied middle school band teacher named Joe Gardner (Foxx) who believes his purpose in life is to play jazz — but life keeps getting in the way of him fulfilling that purpose. Finally, he gets the job of a lifetime, only to accidentally die (or, just, die) and find himself at the You Seminar, a celestial workshop for souls to be created and given personality traits before they move on to real humans. While Joe is at the You Seminar, he meets a new soul nicknamed 22 (Fey) who has such a loathing for humans, she’s avoided Earth altogether. However, Joe and 22 eventually work together to find a way to get Joe back to Earth, traveling along the cosmic realms along the way. “Joe’s adventure will make him think again about what it truly means to have soul,” said Docter.

Questlove will play a character named Curly, the drummer in Joe’s band; Rashad will play Joe’s mother; and Diggs will play Paul, Joe’s neighborhood nemesis.

Like Coco, Soul is a musical movie, if not exactly a movie musical. Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross are all working on the music, with Batiste penning original jazz for the film and Reznor and Ross composing an original score that traverses the realms.

“I’m so excited to be onstage with all these people and to be a part of this movie,” Fey said from the dais after receiving a standing ovation from the crowd. “Wait ’til you hear Jamie Foxx in this movie, guys. It’s really good. I think you’re going to like it. I think it’s real emotional. But also like, there’s nothing better than a Pixar movie, right?”

Soul was first announced earlier this summer accompanied by this cryptic tease of its scope: “…a journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life’s most important questions.”

Soul will mark the fourth feature Docter has directed for Pixar, and the first he’s directed since taking on his new role at the animation studio. Soul will arrive in theaters on June 19, 2020, just a few months after Pixar’s March 2020 release, Onward, another original tearjerker (from Monsters University director Dan Scanlon) which was first announced at D23 two years ago.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I Can Tell From That Synopsis, I'm Not Gonna Like It
Aug 25th 2019
Defending Your Life has long been a favorite of mine
Mar 13th 2020
Jon Batiste and Trent Reznor? Odd combo
Aug 26th 2019
Soul Official Trailer
Mar 12th 2020
Pixar is making weird movies
Mar 13th 2020
      Pixar: death, Death, DEATH!!
Mar 13th 2020
           it's kind of come full circle, no?
Mar 14th 2020
Definitely a movie-of-the-year contender in a bereft year
Dec 28th 2020
Well written
Dec 28th 2020
Not perfect but what a beautiful palate-cleanser after WW84
Dec 28th 2020
I didn't really like this
Jan 04th 2021
In this line. I appreciate some of it, but don't know if I'll watch agai...
Jan 04th 2021
it was good, enjoyable
Jan 06th 2021

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sun Aug-25-19 08:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I Can Tell From That Synopsis, I'm Not Gonna Like It"
In response to Reply # 0

I had to make myself watch "Up", which was kind of depressing from the beginning but c'mon, only anime makes good tearjerkers with a decent plot, in the U.S. cartoon movies are aimed at kids, so they will try their hardest to make this too dark probably by leaving out a lot of plot holes.

A movie about the afterlife, back in the day Hollywood use to do this with lighthearted comedy such as "Heaven Can't Wait (a personal favorite of mines)", "Here Comes Mr. Jordan", "The Devil & Max Devlin", "Oh Heavenly Dog", etc. but was Coco really that good, I didn't think it was that good at all, and Monsters Inc./Monsters University was terrible to me; so with that said I know I'm not going to like this "Soul" movie at all, especially it it has a ton of "singing montages" which I've always hated at Disney movies.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 02:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Defending Your Life has long been a favorite of mine"
In response to Reply # 1

The romcom aspect makes the concept itself more like comfort food than a thinker even though it's pretty intensely thorough in its vision of an afterlife. It's ultimately pretty tropey in its overall construction but moment to moment it's always a really refreshing vibe for me. Plus it's Meryl at her most manic-pixie, an archetype I hate to admit I fall for over and over again in movies.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 11:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Jon Batiste and Trent Reznor? Odd combo"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Mar-12-20 09:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Soul Official Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

Soul | Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsLIiBStEs

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 04:17 PM

5. "Pixar is making weird movies"
In response to Reply # 3

This and Onward are both weird.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 06:20 PM

6. "Pixar: death, Death, DEATH!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Mar-13-20 06:21 PM by stylez dainty

I think they're leaning a bit too much on making kids movies that resonate with parents. It's like they think the defining emotional journey of childhood is learning to cope with death. It's part of it, for some, but they're kind of fixated on it. I wonder if the creators are projecting on their own stage in life as they deal with being a new parent, elderly parents and what not.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 10:56 AM

7. "it's kind of come full circle, no?"
In response to Reply # 6

i feel like those Don Bluth movies were super dark and also heavily relied on those sorts of themes. i guess the folks who are writing and animating for Pixar today also grew up Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, etc.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Dec-28-20 12:12 AM

8. "Definitely a movie-of-the-year contender in a bereft year"
In response to Reply # 0

Soul cleverly inverts so many tropes and invokes so many movies I love that...

I bristle at the idea this is a children's movie kids won't love, because even if kids won't love this movie I don't think this is supposed to be that. This is Pixar doing all their usual manipulative (a word I want to use only to exploit it) tricks while making a firmly adult movie. This is Studio Ghibli reminding us that we're all in need of a little imagination sometimes, supremely talented artists reminding us that the best thing about a waking life are the dreams we have when we drift across the planes.

There's a heartwarming vision of transhumanism here - as well as more relatable transgednerism - as well as a stark refutation of nihilism, agnosticism and in many ways the opposites of all that. Soul's message traffics in unspoken idioms and triumphs over simpler philosophical understandings of the human struggle to make the argument humanity isn't constantly struggling for purpose or meaning, but a more generic love for new experiences. It's one thing to play the keys, another entirely to realize the keys will keep thudding long after you're gone.

The movie is beautiful, from its depiction of the afterlife and its bettors (and I do mean bettors) to the shadowy, lively state of its real world. At every moment one gets the impression director Pete Docter only settled on animation because the humor and imagery would have fallen slightly flat in an impressionistic piece featuring real bodies. So to might the message have been dulled by attempting to portray life and death as separate planes of animation in the true sense, of bodies interacting and experiencing.

One of my constant worries is death, and therefore one of my favorite genre of movies has always been an explanation thereof; aside from Tom Cruise fighting Henry Cavill aboard dueling helicopters, it's the one physical reality we can't truly understand. Soul wants to feel good about that, but understand we ultimately must feel bad - after all, this is just another imagined space our minds have created to soothe the eldering of all of us. If the movie does devolve into tropiness, it's for a purpose - that is all life ultimately is, and our growing rejection of tropes is indicative of our desire to feel young, to be a youth, again and again.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Mon Dec-28-20 07:03 PM

9. "Well written"
In response to Reply # 8

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Mon Dec-28-20 10:58 PM

10. "Not perfect but what a beautiful palate-cleanser after WW84"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 11:16 AM

11. "I didn't really like this"
In response to Reply # 0

It fell flat to me. My attention kept drifting. I didn't care for 22 much at all. Or the way (I interpreted) Joe sacrificed himself for her.

Might give it a rewatch but....not great :/

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 01:17 PM

12. "In this line. I appreciate some of it, but don't know if I'll watch agai..."
In response to Reply # 11

They spent to much time «up there» imo, would love it way more if it was more of a coming of age story with Joe learning stuff about «soul» while touring and playing music etc along the way

It has merit, it just didn't hold my attention

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Jan-06-21 11:32 AM

13. "it was good, enjoyable"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735713 Previous topic | Next topic