Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735635

Subject: "The Righteous Gemstones (McBride/Hill, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 07:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Righteous Gemstones (McBride/Hill, 2019)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqJRIQO7sqw

First episode was great. I question Adam Devine's stardom every single time I see him but he works here. Edi Patterson is doing the most once again. I can already tell Keefe is going to be gold. Can't wait for Goggins to show up.

So many great little line readings/moments/touches

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Walton Goggins is a national goddam treasure
Sep 01st 2019
Yeah, he was amazing this last episode.
Sep 03rd 2019
Season two started up last night, folks.
Jan 10th 2022
Eric Roberts is spectacular so far
Jan 10th 2022
Looks as if the show
Jan 24th 2022
Season 2 but somehow feels like season 7
Feb 23rd 2022
I think they're trying to speed up stuff
Feb 25th 2022
      not enough Baby Billy either
Feb 25th 2022
           Baby Billy is the the low key star
Feb 25th 2022
           Definitely needs more Baby Billy
Feb 25th 2022
                We were wrong
Feb 28th 2022
Finale knocked it out the park
Feb 28th 2022
I wished that was the series finale.
Feb 28th 2022
See, I told you
Feb 28th 2022
That wasn't the Gemstones on the snowmobiles. (spoiler)
Feb 28th 2022
RE: That wasn't the Gemstones on the snowmobiles. (spoiler)
Feb 28th 2022
      Yeah, I'd say with certainty it wasn't the Gemstones
Feb 28th 2022
Keefe is the JarJar of this show to me
Feb 28th 2022
Yeah, as luke-warm as I was on everything non-Baby Billy and Eli...
Feb 28th 2022
According to an article I accidentaly browsed on AVclub.com
Aug 04th 2023
I very much enjoyed the third season
Aug 04th 2023
yeah, i tapped out on season 2 early
Aug 04th 2023
Baby Billy Bible Bonkers !!!
Aug 05th 2023
The third season was better than the second season
Aug 06th 2023

navajo joe
6569 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 08:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Walton Goggins is a national goddam treasure "
In response to Reply # 0

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yeah, he was amazing this last episode."
In response to Reply # 1

Dude killed it in every scene.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Mon Jan-10-22 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Season two started up last night, folks."
In response to Reply # 0

I noticed the first two episodes were available last night on HBO Now. I only watched the first episode. I wonder how off the wall Eric Andre's character will be this season.

I hope Walton Goggins' character is as unleashed as he was in the first season. Dude put on a comedic tour de force in that first season. Pretty impressive given that he's mostly known for his dramatic roles from The Shield and Justified.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Mon Jan-10-22 09:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Eric Roberts is spectacular so far"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jan-10-22 09:37 PM by Roadblock

Roberts and John Goodman killed their scenes

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Mon Jan-24-22 11:17 AM

5. "Looks as if the show"
In response to Reply # 0

is going the same route the second and third seasons of Eastbound and Down went in terms of establishing more dramatic themes. There weren't that many laugh out loud moments in the last two episodes IMO. The storyline resolution for Baby Billy was quite quite dark.

I wonder how many seasons this show will run for.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 02:55 AM

6. "Season 2 but somehow feels like season 7"
In response to Reply # 0

it still has its moments and a some laughs but the storylines this season all play like a show that has pretty much run out ideas.

the only character who consistently cracks me up is Judy, and they'v hardly given her anything this season. Instead we get 10 minutes a week of Kelvin and that corny muscleman shit.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 09:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I think they're trying to speed up stuff"
In response to Reply # 6

It's getting more serious and into the heartfelt parts. Looks like their trying to bring the Gemstone clan together to face whomever ordered the hit on Eli.

At first I thought it was Eric Andre and his wife, but something gave a hint that it could be Jesse's wife. She's too ambitious and they way she was going at Jesse about taking over and the talk with Edi and Baby Billy's wife seems like she's had ambitions of taking over for some time.

My only other suspect is that group of pastors from Ep 1 that wanted to start that G.O.D.D. thing, maybe they are trying to take Eli out so they can start up that project, but I'm doubtful.

The Kelvin and muscle men stuff went on too long but I did like they finally wrapped it up.

I figure by this Sunday we get all the answers and Eli is going to probably die on the stage during church.

The shit with Baby Billy and his son was great. Perfect stunt casting to play the adult version of his son too.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 02:50 PM

8. "not enough Baby Billy either"
In response to Reply # 7

the whole Harmon thing is perfect, especially this last ep

Judy and her husband started out hilarious this season but they've been sidelined to babysitting Billy's baby mama

It was weird the whole Eric Andre thing just went away. I suspected Jesse's wife briefly too but i dunno.

but damn this show as a whole feels stale to me and there's no reason it should

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 03:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Baby Billy is the the low key star"
In response to Reply # 8

Walt Goggins is a fucking national treasure, dude just brings it every time as Baby Billy.

I'm glad they moved away from Judy and her husband a bit, I wanted the storyline to have her husband stand up to her but he's still her bitch. Judy's loud and crazy needs to be contained some and I love Edi Patterson (like risk it all love)

I mean it has to be Eric Andre, it's the only thing that makes sense. I would assume that he killed his father to take over the church and now is trying to do the same so Jesse can take over and they can get that Timeshare money.

I don't know if it's stale, I just think it's taking a slower pace to set the stage for the future of the series since it's getting a third season.

@SituationPodemy

mrhood75
44713 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 07:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Definitely needs more Baby Billy"
In response to Reply # 8

He was the best thing about the last two episode. Everything involving him shilling the lotion is great. Plus interacting with the eldest Culkin as his son.

>It was weird the whole Eric Andre thing just went away. I
>suspected Jesse's wife briefly too but i dunno.

Seems like they're brining it back this final episode. I do think it's the wife with Eric Andre who tried to kill Eli. And I think it's Jesse's son who killed Jason Swartzman. There's a whole lotta weird shit there that hasn't been explained.

The dark horse candidate for trying to kill Eli is the guy who shattered his leg trying to kill himself in the first episode.

>but damn this show as a whole feels stale to me and there's no
>reason it should

I think there's so little active plot. And too much time with the closetted son and his strongmen.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 01:56 AM

11. "We were wrong"
In response to Reply # 10

Eric Andre and his wife were crazy. They did it all and the Jason SWartzman thing was just too damn funny.

The Young Gun shit was funny as hell to me for some reason.

Shouts for John Amos though, it’s always good to see James Senior.

@SituationPodemy

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 03:24 AM

12. "Finale knocked it out the park"
In response to Reply # 0

i was definitely starting to sour and this pulled me back in

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 11:46 AM

13. "I wished that was the series finale."
In response to Reply # 12

Hopefully the next season with either be the last one or the story telling will get better because some of the jokes and storylines are starting to get stale IMO.

I suppose Baby Billy being a father to his son will be a good storyline to delve into next season. Beyond that, I dunno what else there is to tell that'll be interesting.

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 12:15 PM

14. "See, I told you"

They ended everything great. Eric Andre and his wife doing the Young Guns thing was too funny. The Gemstone family rolling in as snowmobile ninjas was a funny touch.

Schwartzman coming out with the Glock yelling "I'm from Brooklyn motherfucker was great." It was nice seeing that Lisson was basically Jesse but much much ambitious and much more dumber.

I've never been a Jonas brother person but the Joe Jonas and Kief at the port a potty was pretty funny. Actually the whole port a potty thing was fucking great.

At this point I need a Baby Billy spinoff. I'm sure the net season will be the last and will probably end with the Gemstones facing off against the other pastors after Eli dies, but damnit give me a Baby Billy spinoff!

@SituationPodemy

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 05:45 PM

15. "That wasn't the Gemstones on the snowmobiles. (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 14

At least, they didn't indicate it was. I think it was pretty clearly Eli sending in the motorcycle ninjas to finish off their former father figure. But maybe I missed something.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 06:23 PM

16. "RE: That wasn't the Gemstones on the snowmobiles. (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Feb-28-22 06:28 PM by JiggysMyDayJob

>At least, they didn't indicate it was. I think it was pretty
>clearly Eli sending in the motorcycle ninjas to finish off
>their former father figure. But maybe I missed something.

All white snowmobiles, which is the Gemstone motif, coupled with Martin was on look out it appeared to be them. Also the one shooter had a sniper rifle and I saw a peak of red hair behind the helmet leads me to think that was Amber.

I'm more than likely wrong, but why wouldn't the Gemstones do it themselves? It would make more sense than paying the motorcycle ninjas to do it. I feel like Eli wouldn't want to leave a liability like that out there in the world, just like he buried Glendon under the rollercoaster. Gotta protect the family.

It would've been more gangster if they did it though

@SituationPodemy

mrhood75
44713 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 07:11 PM

18. "Yeah, I'd say with certainty it wasn't the Gemstones"
In response to Reply # 16

And that it was motorcycle ninjas, who were pissed at him for stiffing them on the money, and whatever he did to them earlier (which Schwartzman alluded to).

The Gemstones aren't going to Alaska to kill them. Most can barely drive cars, much less snowmobiles. And, aside from Ali, don't have the experience/constitution to get into a gun fight.

It was the biker kids.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 07:08 PM

17. "Keefe is the JarJar of this show to me"
In response to Reply # 14

i can't staaand that dude's whole presence
but damn if him and Kelvin didn't dial up that creep meter in that last scene with the workout kids lol

like Longo, i assumed it was the moto kids that took out Andre and his wife. if it was the gemstones, there's no real reason not to show it.

mrhood75
44713 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 07:14 PM

19. "Yeah, as luke-warm as I was on everything non-Baby Billy and Eli..."
Mon Feb-28-22 07:19 PM by mrhood75

...this season, that finale made up for a whole helluva lot.

Eric Andre was great and it made me really wish there was a lot more of him this season. Like, maybe they could have shown him and his wife watching "Young Guns" at some point.

And yeah, the final Alaska shoot-out was great, as was Lyle's fate.

I forget, did Lyle or his wife mention the motorcycle kids at in those first couple episodes during their conversations with Jesse and Amber?

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Fri Aug-04-23 11:47 AM

20. "According to an article I accidentaly browsed on AVclub.com"
In response to Reply # 0

the third season for this already aired.

Since I don't have HBO/Max/whatever-the-service-is-called-these-days, I haven't seen a single second of the third season. Is this third season better than the sub standard second season?

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Fri Aug-04-23 12:27 PM

21. "I very much enjoyed the third season"
In response to Reply # 20

Honestly if this was the final season, I'd be happy.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

navajo joe
6569 posts
Fri Aug-04-23 01:33 PM

22. "yeah, i tapped out on season 2 early "
In response to Reply # 20

because I thought it'd fallen off pretty dramatically but season 3 has been great

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Sat Aug-05-23 03:51 PM

23. "Baby Billy Bible Bonkers !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I want a spin-off show about Baby Billy.

@SituationPodemy

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Sun Aug-06-23 05:32 PM

24. "The third season was better than the second season"
In response to Reply # 0

and there were decent laugh out loud moments, but this still didn't feel as good as the first season. My main problem with this season was that Baby Billy felt like an after thought, which I suppose was the point with him acting out in desperation this season, but Walton Goggins felt like he was wasted given how well he's done comedically in the past.

I'm not that happy the next season will seemingly pick up some of the conflict from this season, but hopefully season four will be the last.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735635 Previous topic | Next topic