Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735626

Subject: "Spider-Man No Longer in the MCU, Disney/Sony Go Separate Ways" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spider-Man No Longer in the MCU, Disney/Sony Go Separate Ways"
Tue Aug-20-19 04:46 PM by WarriorPoet415

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Apparently, they were negotiating who gets how large a cut from Spidey flicks. Disney wanted a 50/50 split. Sony left the table and didn't even counter.

Meanwhile, Holland and Watts are under contract for two more pics. Too soon to tell if they are retained or Sony goes for another reboot.

Edit: Of course, this may just be the opening salvo in negotiations. Maybe the two parties salvage it in time for a new release date.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ugh, just saw this
Aug 20th 2019
Sony!
Aug 20th 2019
basically.
Aug 20th 2019
Sony has made six Spider-Man movies without Marvel.
Aug 21st 2019
There's only one great movie.
Aug 21st 2019
      Basically
Aug 23rd 2019
agreed
Aug 21st 2019
Disney overplayed their hand.
Aug 20th 2019
Disney put out the narrative that it was done...
Aug 23rd 2019
yeah, that's Disney being Disney
Aug 21st 2019
I love when people say good business is greed lol
Aug 23rd 2019
Sony statement implies Feige is just too damn busy for Spidey
Aug 21st 2019
I think you got this turned around.
Aug 21st 2019
      With the MCU involved, the cake is much bigger
Aug 21st 2019
They better fix this. They kinda wrote themselves into a corner too
Aug 21st 2019
agreed
Aug 21st 2019
Sony Is Just Holding Out For More Money
Aug 24th 2019
to be honest, the MCU doesn't need Spiderman anymore
Aug 26th 2019
      But Spidey needs the MCU
Aug 26th 2019
I am not a fan of Spider-man as an Avenger
Aug 29th 2019
Well, for one thing, the MCU is no longer Avengers-centric
Aug 29th 2019
back on track!
Sep 27th 2019
RE: back on track!
Sep 27th 2019
Was probably bound to happen.
Sep 27th 2019
All About the Benjamins, Baby!
Sep 27th 2019
i'm over these fuckin' cat fights...
Sep 28th 2019
glasses up for multi million $ companies tongue kissing again!
Sep 28th 2019

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Ugh, just saw this"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't like that Disney owns nearly everything now but dammit, they had a good thing going.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Sony!"
In response to Reply # 0

I get why Sony saying is saying no, but we all saw Sony on there own with this Spidey shit.

If these negotiations are for real done, then I'm good on Spider-Man movies outside of the Spider-Verse joints.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 05:21 PM

3. "basically. "
In response to Reply # 2

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 08:56 AM

5. "Sony has made six Spider-Man movies without Marvel."
In response to Reply # 2

(Yes, I'm counting Spider-Verse)

Two were classics. One was good for its time (and also a classic to some). Two were trash. One was meh.

How is that a bad record over a 17-year span?

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 10:16 AM

7. "There's only one great movie."
In response to Reply # 5

If you enjoy em, more power to you. But if you read those leaked emails from a while back as well as seen those Amazing Spider-Man movies, then you should know that they have no clue what to do with the character.

And Spider-Verse they were hands off on cause it was a cartoon

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Aug-23-19 07:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "Basically "
In response to Reply # 7

----------

IG @erichrigonan

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 09:13 AM

6. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 2

Now they're going to head straight to a Venom/Spiderman crossover and it's all going to come crashing down.

I just hope that if they can't renegotiate, then my boy Holland somehow finds his way out of that mess. Maybe then instead of rebooting yet again, they'll have no choice but to give us a live action Miles Morales. Into the Spiderverse proved that audiences are ready for it.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Aug-20-19 10:13 PM

4. "Disney overplayed their hand."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Aug-23-19 12:20 AM

15. "Disney put out the narrative that it was done..."
In response to Reply # 4

Sony came out and said they are still in talks. Sony came back with 30/70 Disney said nah. Disney still has the narrative that Sony is fucking. Well played by Disney so far IMO. Its more of a gamble for Sony than it is for Disney to not fix this deal.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 11:07 AM

8. "yeah, that's Disney being Disney"
In response to Reply # 0

seems Iger n them are only keen on buying up existing IPs and completely fucking ruining em, mostly over greed & percentage points (see: Star Wars).
the MCU as a whole is next.
but first it's gonna go ultra-woke, of course.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Aug-23-19 12:17 AM

14. "I love when people say good business is greed lol "
In response to Reply # 8

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 11:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Sony statement implies Feige is just too damn busy for Spidey"
In response to Reply # 0

"Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him—including all their newly added Marvel properties—do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue."

Seems like a real lazy way to try and spin their way out of the negative press.

Also worth mentioning that Disney wasn't just asking for 50% of the profit, they were asking for Sony to kick in 50% of the production costs, which were previously being handled mostly by Marvel in exchange for the character.

In other words, Disney did Sony a lot of favors just to get Spider-Man in Civil War and Avengers, and in an argument over billions of dollars in which everybody wins either way except the audience one of the ways, it's hard to side with Sony here.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 03:11 PM

12. "I think you got this turned around. "
In response to Reply # 9

>Also worth mentioning that Disney wasn't just asking for 50%
>of the profit, they were asking for Sony to kick in 50% of the
>production costs, which were previously being handled mostly
>by Marvel in exchange for the character.

Most of the sources I read said that Sony kicked in all the production costs on the Spidey films, and Marvel would get 5% of the profits and of course kept merchandising.

Marvel wanted to up their stakes of ownership by paying for 50% of the production costs (which means they get 50% of the profits too). But also Marvel wanted to get producer credits on some other Spidey properties, even if they weren't being used in the MCU (Venom, Mobius, etc.)

So Sony would have gone from 95% of the cake to 50% of it. Even if they would be paying less for it.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "With the MCU involved, the cake is much bigger "
In response to Reply # 12

Far From Home has the highest worldwide gross in Sony history. They were lined up to get two more of those. I would rather have half the profits from a hit than all the proceeds from a flop. And with Sony’s Spidey record, odds are 50/50 that either Spidey 3 or 4 could flop entirely. The Kraven movie has flop written all over it (the great white hunter in 2019 fam? And who wants to see a Kraven movie anyway?). They would be better off going half on everything and let MCU keep delivering the hits (and telling Sony not to do ridiculous things like Kraven movies)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 11:33 AM

10. "They better fix this. They kinda wrote themselves into a corner too"
In response to Reply # 0

The 'Fiege is too busy for Spiderman' doesn't quite make sense, unless Sony's has a vision for what they want Spidey to do that doesn't jibe with Kevin and the MCU's roadmap and they aren't budging on meshing the two. Most likely this is about money, and both sides will try and save face/pass the buck in the coming weeks.

But to have Spidey in 5 movies and set him up as an integral part of the MCU post Stark creates a huge mess for both sides that nobody wants, nor would be as profitable. Would the fans rather see Peter Parker interact with Tom Hardy or Sam Jackson and co? To see Sony (and to a degree Marvel) write Spidey out of the MCU and into his own thing is just courting disaster. And if they have to recast Holland to make it work, I refuse to see it.

I think a new deal gets done at some point. Too much money to be made and Spidey is too important an IP to screw up again. If not...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 12:00 PM

11. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 10

They are in a corner and unless Sony is asking for billions to do any more Spidey movies, they need to fix it.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 12:16 PM

17. "Sony Is Just Holding Out For More Money"
In response to Reply # 0

This is just another one of those tactics companies do to get the public involved in persuading one side to have backlash and pony up more money.

I doubt Sony gives a flying fuck about the standard, or quality of Spider-Man's brand or character, it's just all about money and how much they can get out of the deal; by the end of the year Spider-Man will be apart of the Disney/Marvel franchise, just watch.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 06:35 AM

18. "to be honest, the MCU doesn't need Spiderman anymore"
In response to Reply # 17

While it was a huge disappointment to hear about this, the fact is Feige is steering the MCU towards a more Galactic/alternate dimension arena. Spiderman doesn't seem like a good fit for the ones still set on Earth (Black Widow? Dr. Strange 2? Black Panther 2? Nah, man). Despite a noted lack of charisma, I think Captain Marvel is supposed to replace Iron Man/Cap as the central hero of the Avengers.

I don't think Sony is holding out. They scored a billion dollar hit and now they think they can take it from here.

And I'm not hopeful for where Sony will take Spiderman from here. I'm already smh at the inevitable Venom crossover. But Sony needs Disney more than Disney needs Sony, and its going to show as once again they fail at building their own shared universe.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 10:55 PM

19. "But Spidey needs the MCU"
In response to Reply # 18

Spider Verse aside, none of the Sony Spidey joints touch the MCU collaboration ones, to me.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Aug-29-19 08:57 AM

20. "I am not a fan of Spider-man as an Avenger"
In response to Reply # 0

Or a peripheral character in the Avengers universe. I would love to see Spiderman's universe built out and I am not talking about the Spiderverse.

Kevin Feige did a great job with the MCU but I can't believe he is the only dude in Holywood who can tell good superhero stories.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Aug-29-19 02:07 PM

21. "Well, for one thing, the MCU is no longer Avengers-centric"
In response to Reply # 20

It certainly seemed like that with Evans and Downey, Jr. gone, they were planning to make Holland, Cumberbatch, Boseman, and Larson the center of the MCU.

>Kevin Feige did a great job with the MCU but I can't believe
>he is the only dude in Holywood who can tell good superhero
>stories.

Clearly not, but Sony hasn't demonstrated that they can make a sustainable, long-term superhero universe. If we're not counting Spider-Verse, then all but the first two of the Spider-Man related movie they've done are trash. And they're last solo attempt to put together a Spider-Man adjacent story was also trash. So until they find someone, I'm going to go ahead and be extremely skeptical that they can pull any of this off on their own.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Fri Sep-27-19 10:54 AM

22. "back on track!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://mobile.twitter.com/Complex/status/1177604144338735104

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Fri Sep-27-19 11:30 AM

23. "RE: back on track!"
In response to Reply # 22

Nice! Good to finish up a trilogy with them anyways and then part ways if want to.

WarriorPoet415
17895 posts
Fri Sep-27-19 11:55 AM

24. "Was probably bound to happen. "

What caused the split was probably just the opening salvo in longer term negotiations. Wonder who they'll get to produce since Feige just got assigned a Star Wars movie.

That dude needs to groom a successor, stat!

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Fri Sep-27-19 12:11 PM

25. "All About the Benjamins, Baby!"

Cut the check, get it done, KIM. Both sides are still getting paid on this.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sat Sep-28-19 11:50 AM

26. "i'm over these fuckin' cat fights..."

..they're courting success, while flirting with disaster.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sat Sep-28-19 12:08 PM

27. "glasses up for multi million $ companies tongue kissing again!"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735626 Previous topic | Next topic