Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735562

Subject: "The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Thu Aug-15-19 03:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers, 2019)"

Man, I've been waiting for a new Eggers movie ever since The Witch dropped.

Glad we're finally getting one.

Is the lighthouse haunted or is Robbie and Dafoe losing their minds?

Can't wait to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wait to see this at home if you can
Oct 25th 2019
Agreed on all points...
Oct 25th 2019
good to know
Oct 27th 2019
Counterpoint: the cinematography and composition deserve a big screen
Oct 27th 2019
      agreed. I also think the laughter was warranted and part of the experien...
Nov 05th 2019
Really liked this shit.
Oct 27th 2019
have heard and expect nothing but good things
Nov 01st 2019
An aesthetic masterpiece, YMMV re: the overall plot
Nov 04th 2019

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wait to see this at home if you can"
In response to Reply # 0

1) Similar to the Witch, the dialogue/accents are hard to understand without subtitles. Lots will go over your head, trust me.

2) The old aspect ratio the film is shot in makes it pretty pointless to see on a widescreen.

3) This is sooo not the kind of film you want to see with a room full of people munching on popcorn, candy, and laughing obnoxiously. Watch this joint alone, in a dark room, with subtitles on.

Luckily, this is also the kind of film that would reward a 2nd viewing.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Fri Oct-25-19 03:29 PM

2. "Agreed on all points..."
In response to Reply # 1

I probably could make out only about 50% max of the words.
I left thinking it would have even worked as a silent film based on how little I understood.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Sun Oct-27-19 08:01 AM

3. "good to know"
In response to Reply # 1

>

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8433 posts
Sun Oct-27-19 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Counterpoint: the cinematography and composition deserve a big screen"
In response to Reply # 1

Maybe I got lucky with my audience (even though I went to my local AMC, not really known for respectful audiences usually), but everyone was fully engrossed in the matinee I went to. Didn’t find the accents that tough to understand, and I really dug the theatricality of the monologues, which granted is something I enjoy when done well.
You definitely have to buy into it very quickly, or you’ll likely roll your eyes a lot, between the salt-drenched gruffness of the two leads (who are both great, what a year for Pattinson) and some of the magical realism aspects.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 02:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "agreed. I also think the laughter was warranted and part of the experien..."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Nov-05-19 02:21 PM by Nodima

A friend of mine saw it in a micro-cinema, about 25 seats, and lamented that the one part of his experience that was a little sour was his desire to laugh, stifled by the fact no one else was laughing.

During the 2nd act, when Pattinson turns to drink and the drama cedes to comedy for a moment, I was relieved that I could laugh at his Poseidon's curse or the splatter of shit on his face once I heard the majority of people behind me (I was 4th row in a larger cinema) laughing out loud. I felt like I was in a room of people that immediately got this movie, and it was cathartic/communal. And gnashing of popcorn? That's always been movie-going, it's a bummer home theater systems have led people to not be able to block that out.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Sun Oct-27-19 04:48 PM

5. "Really liked this shit."
In response to Reply # 0

Wish I saw this at a Drafthouse but both of the ones near me don't have it.

I need to see this again at a good theater.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 11:44 AM

6. "have heard and expect nothing but good things"
In response to Reply # 0

really looking forward to catching this sometime... maybe soon.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Nov-04-19 10:25 PM

7. "An aesthetic masterpiece, YMMV re: the overall plot"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-04-19 10:30 PM by Nodima

Highly, highly recommended! I still haven't seen The Witch, but I doubt that'll be true much longer unless it falls off of Netflix while I'm not looking. Eggers has such a masterful hold on these characters and this setting, and what little story there is to latch on to rushes by like a gale force wind. Dafoe's Wake is a Shakespearean presence translated through a Melville fetish, and Pattinson perfectly balances his blustering poetry with a blunt, cold performance that cracks in all the right places at all the right times. The latter's rightfully been compared to Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in There Will Be Blood, and not just because he's got the moustache and the accent. He truly transforms, while Dafoe seems to be channeling his Norman Osborne into a freer, more human space.

Some could argue the Lovecraftian aspects are a bit tacked on, and those who've seen Annihilation (or actually read his most famous works, I guess) could probably see the ending coming as soon as the title card hits, but that just makes Eggers' insistence on ignoring the coherence of the story in favor of the, ahem, ever growing and expanding insight the characters build into each other and the insanity derived from their lonely, mismatched cohabitation all the better. The moment I fully gave myself to this movie was when it took a break from all the dourness to become one of the funniest movies I've seen all year; the deftness with which Eggers transmutes from a period drama to a comedy to a psychological horror is stunningly subtle and steady-handed.

It's also hard to overstate how much the 4:3 aspect ratio suits this film; it'd be hard for widescreen home televisions to ruin anything about this particular movie, but there is something very intentional about that claustrophobic aspect ratio that'll be lost as the movie transitions to streaming services, I'd think. When your eyes are filled with nothing but the screen, it lends an intensity and a closeness to every scene that I think will be lost when you're also seeing an entertainment center, a video game console, an end table or whatever in your periphery rather than an ominous lack of imagery. Anybody with an interest in the phenomenal and the psychological owes it to themselves to get to a theater and see this instant classic for themselves.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735562 Previous topic | Next topic