Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735470

Subject: "'Coming 2 America' Cast Grows a Few Stars Stronger... (OKP swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Sun Aug-11-19 10:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"'Coming 2 America' Cast Grows a Few Stars Stronger... (OKP swipe)"

I'm keeping my expectations low until I get a reason to get excited.

One thing which grabbed my attention is that Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow) is directing the movie. One, and I know it shouldn't matter but, he's White. Like there aren't any Black directors who couldn't direct this. And two, has he made a straight comedy before? I'll see it regardless but these were just some thoughts.

'Coming 2 America' Cast Grows a Few Stars Stronger, Adds Teyana Taylor, Leslie Jones and Louie Anderson

POSTED BY ZO 7 MINS AGO

Coming 2 America's roster is expanding by the day.
In case you haven't been keeping up, pre-production on a Coming To America sequel is well underway.

Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones, and Paul Bates, are already locked in to reprise their roles from the beloved 1988 buddy comedy. Kiki Layne (If Beale Street Could Talk) has been cast as Prince Akeem's daughter and Wesley Snipes as the leader of a neighboring nation. Rick Ross is somehow somewhere in the picture as well.

But according to a report from Collider, the cast is once again a few stars stronger. The latest additions to the roster include Teyana Taylor, Leslie Jones, Michael Blackson, and Louie Anderson returning as Maurice.

An early synopsis of the film (per The Hollywood Reporter) finds Akeem returning to the states in search of a newly-discovered son (Jermaine Fowler) living in Queens with his mother (Leslie Jones.) With his father on the outs and the throne to inherit, Akeem heads back to America to deliver the King a new prince to groom.

Production begins this month with Craig Brewer in the director's chair and a script from black-ish creator, Kenya Barris, eyeing a December 18, 2020 release date.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Is Shari Headley not signed on for this yet?
Aug 12th 2019
Brewer just did Dolemite is My Name w/ Murphy/Snipes
Aug 12th 2019
I just read the post about that movie
Aug 13th 2019
It's Kind Of Overdue But Now It's Not Really Wanted
Aug 16th 2019
some of the casting choices scream potential flop
Aug 21st 2019

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Is Shari Headley not signed on for this yet? "
In response to Reply # 0

Because she isn't mentioned, and I don't see how they could do this without her...

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6564 posts
Mon Aug-12-19 12:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Brewer just did Dolemite is My Name w/ Murphy/Snipes"
In response to Reply # 0

so that probably has a lot to do w/ that choice

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Aug-13-19 12:18 AM

3. "I just read the post about that movie"
In response to Reply # 2

And what you said makes sense since Brewer and Eddie now have shared some moviemaking experience. The shorthand they developed probably will make this sequel that much easier on both of them.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Aug-16-19 02:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's Kind Of Overdue But Now It's Not Really Wanted"
In response to Reply # 0

>I'm keeping my expectations low until I
>get a reason to get excited.

A few years ago Eddie & Arsenio explained why they didn't do a sequel for mad years cause of false lawsuits, so I was fine with that, now it's talks of them doing one.

I agree with the main poster, I'm keeping my expectations very very low until I see it in theater; cause I doubt they have been plotting, writing, & rewriting this story all this time, I bet they just started writing one a few years ago.

These days movies have been more about well-known casting rather than good writing, I rather have a bunch of unheard of actors doing a part well, than having A-List-ers all up in the movie doing the same thing they do in every movie they have been in.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 10:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "some of the casting choices scream potential flop"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of broad comedy cats in there. Brewer isn’t a comedy director. I can’t remember the last movie I’ve seen with the classic Eddie comedic spark. My expectations are low and I wish them well.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735470 Previous topic | Next topic