Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735245

Subject: "The Dead Don't Die (Jarmusch 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 03:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Dead Don't Die (Jarmusch 2019)"

"toxic lunar waves" ~ T. Waits

went and saw this on the weekend. a lot of allusions, references, cameos and stuff going on... I will be re-watching a few times in life and seeing/catching new stuff each time I'm sure... good show solid performances nothing groundbreaking but such a huge head nod to so much like I say I will be rewatching and digesting references for time to come... probably never get them all.

anybody else see it yet?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I liked it
Jun 18th 2019
on that spoiler good point
Jun 20th 2019
      The guy dragging the guitar...
Jun 20th 2019
this was wathever...felt like a group of actors/friends messing around
Jun 30th 2019
I feel like that sums up most of Jarmusch's movies
Jul 01st 2019

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 06:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

Not quite on the level of Patterson or Only Lovers Left Alive, but still a good zombie flick where the comedy works but somehow doesn't drown the movie in camp.

Adam Driver and Tilda Swinton in particular stood out. Great performances.

I was really happy that the movie didn't pull any punches. Characters die left and right. It isn't zombieland; despite the comedic beats, the sense of dread and impending doom never goes away. You know it's "going to end badly."

*SPOILER*

My only gripe was that the subplot with the kids at the Detention Center doesn't go anywhere. They just disappear from the movie. They didn't turn, they didn't get a resolution. It felt like there were scenes that wrapped up their storyline that were all cut. Maybe because test audiences didn't want to see the kids get got. Or Jarmusch thought it was too much, even for him. Still it was weird for a movie where almost every other character takes a hard L.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 12:16 PM

2. "on that spoiler good point"
In response to Reply # 1

if it was weak in any area it was the story... but there was a fair amount of meta levels going on too.. like the whole script convos can really change the way you view the whole... as if he almost purposefully left huge holes or superfluous stuff in there (the whole selena gomez stuff went nowhere too).. maybe as an hommage to the whole trainwreck production style of B.. *shrugs* I don't know maybe a stretch.

I think it has to be about the details and there were too many to catch on any one viewing imo... like just identifying who the zombies are/were.. like who was the one dragging the guitar? nobody? somebody?
Carol Kane was so perfectly and simply hilarious.. lol.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 02:49 PM

3. "The guy dragging the guitar..."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Jun-20-19 02:49 PM by stravinskian

was Sturgill Simpson, the guy who sang the theme song. I noticed that in the credits. I'll have to watch again to see if there were any indications in the dialogue.

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Jun-30-19 03:04 AM

4. "this was wathever...felt like a group of actors/friends messing around"
In response to Reply # 0

and having some fun with a sprinkle of weak social commentary

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 06:47 AM

5. "I feel like that sums up most of Jarmusch's movies"
In response to Reply # 4

except for Patterson and Only Lovers Left Alive

I enjoyed it because I went in knowing that was what I was going to get.

I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the dialogue was improvised.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #735245 Previous topic | Next topic