Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734971

Subject: "Chris Rock Rebooting ‘Saw’ Franchise With Lionsgate" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Thu May-16-19 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Chris Rock Rebooting ‘Saw’ Franchise With Lionsgate"

WTF??????

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/chris-rock-saw-spinoff-1203216731/

Chris Rock and Lionsgate are collaborating on a “Saw” spinoff.

“I’ve been a fan of ‘Saw’ since the first film in 2004,” Rock said. “I am excited by the opportunity to take this to a really intense and twisted new place.”

The franchise revolves around the fictional character John Kramer, also called the “Jigsaw Killer” or “Jigsaw,” who traps victims in situations that test their will to live. Tobin Bell has portrayed Jigsaw in all eight films. The low-cost titles have been highly profitable for Lionsgate, grossing nearly $1 billion worldwide. Mark Burg, Oren Koules and Gregg Hoffman produced all the “Saw” movies.

Joe Drake, chairman of Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group, made the announcement on Thursday. The new movie will be released on Oct. 23, 2020.

“When Chris Rock came to us and described in chilling detail his fantastic vision that reimagines and spins off the world of the notorious Jigsaw Killer, we were all-in,” said Drake. “‘Saw’ is one of the highest-grossing horror franchises of all time and it’s one of Lionsgate’s most successful film series. This upcoming film will still be as mind bending and intense as all the previous ‘Saw’ films. Chris conceived this idea and it will be completely reverential to the legacy of the material while reinvigorating the brand with his wit, creative vision and passion for this classic horror franchise.”

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hoo-ray, just what we need, more Saw movies
May 16th 2019
Considering these are spinoffs and not Saw movies
May 16th 2019
      I didn't see where it said spinoff
May 17th 2019
           Both terms are used and the article is pretty clear
May 17th 2019
Tryna get that Jordan Peele money
May 16th 2019
Yeah
May 16th 2019
Really interested to see how this goes
May 16th 2019

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu May-16-19 02:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "hoo-ray, just what we need, more Saw movies"
In response to Reply # 0

All the respect I had for Chris Rock the filmmaker thanks to Top Five just went right down the toilet.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Thu May-16-19 06:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Considering these are spinoffs and not Saw movies"
In response to Reply # 1

plus the fact that we have absolutely no other information about what these stories will be about, other than they will have some foundation within that world....

Your reaction makes perfect sense.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri May-17-19 08:22 AM

6. "I didn't see where it said spinoff"
In response to Reply # 3

I did see where it said reboot.

I like Chris Rock's comedy and like I said I liked Top Five, but I can't get behind rebooting a franchise that was just about watching people who don't even stand a chance get slaughtered in the worst ways by increasingly awful and gruesome traps. The jive ass movies are all kind of the same. I wanna say I only saw the first three and then just read about the others.

It's just disappointing that this is the franchise Rock wants to bring back. To me.

But ultimately yeah I can just not watch it when it comes out, and keep on keepin' on. Right on to everyone who likes that shit.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Fri May-17-19 10:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Both terms are used and the article is pretty clear "
In response to Reply # 6

That this is not a continuation of the main Saw story.

rdhull
Charter member
33131 posts
Thu May-16-19 03:55 PM

2. "Tryna get that Jordan Peele money"
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu May-16-19 06:39 PM

4. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 2

I kinda wonder if Chris' takes are based on Peele's 'social horror' concept.

But I can't be mad at a Black man or woman getting credit as a producer in Hollywood.

I won't see them because I don't like horror movies but props to him regardless.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu May-16-19 09:01 PM

5. "Really interested to see how this goes"
In response to Reply # 0

Danny McBride and David Gordon Green killed it with Halloween.

And Jordan Peele is at the top of his game making horror joints.

Can't see why Chris can't deliver something solid.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734971 Previous topic | Next topic