Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734111

Subject: "The Last Black Man in San Francisco (Talbot, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 04:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Last Black Man in San Francisco (Talbot, 2019)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=120&v=C0FnJDhY9-0

Beyond excited about this

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No Tom Hanks?
Mar 21st 2019
*robots through the post*
Mar 24th 2019
Does A24 make movies about White people? j/k
Mar 21st 2019
They’re gonna make this movie about DC in 10 years
Apr 07th 2019
"it's 'go go,' not 'cry cry'"
Apr 09th 2019
      I’ve been online over twenty years and that is...
Aug 21st 2019
           I’ve been online over twenty years and that is...
Aug 22nd 2019
                That doesn’t explain your reply at all
Sep 01st 2019
                     *sigh*
Sep 01st 2019
                          LMAO @ this ENTIRE exchange...
Jan 24th 2020
                               Did you really find that funny?
Jan 30th 2020
Saw it over the weekend. It was aiight.
Jun 17th 2019
I watched this on Saturday night
Aug 13th 2019
I also appreciated the black male friendship on display
Jan 27th 2020
      The podcast episode was called
Jan 27th 2020
           It's kind of sad that in the 21st Century ...
Jan 30th 2020
I could not get down with this
Aug 21st 2019
"bothered you"? hmmm.....I was thinking it is rough to see a clear
Aug 24th 2019
Pretty much a perfect film, imo.
Jan 14th 2020
FYI, Amazon Prime folks
Jan 14th 2020
First 10 minutes in I was thinking I wasn't going to like it.
Jan 23rd 2020
I guess I need to power through those first 10 minutes then
Jan 23rd 2020
      nope, I still couldn't fuck with this
Jan 24th 2020
           Hard to think that a movie with a 94% RT rating is a "legit catastrophe"
Jan 29th 2020
           fair enough
Jan 29th 2020
           I really liked it. Ironically I missed the first ten minutes
Jan 30th 2020
           While I really liked the movie
Jan 30th 2020
RE: The Last Black Man in San Francisco (Talbot, 2019)
Jan 23rd 2020
Beautiful stage play at odds on the big screen...
Jan 24th 2020
Describing this as a stage play is an interesting comparison
Jan 30th 2020
***SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN***
Jan 31st 2020
On the stage play critique
Feb 29th 2020

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 08:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "No Tom Hanks? "
In response to Reply # 0

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Sun Mar-24-19 11:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "*robots through the post*"
In response to Reply # 1

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 09:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Does A24 make movies about White people? j/k"
In response to Reply # 0

This looks good. I lived in San Francisco about 20 years ago and there weren't many Black people there outside of a couple a neighborhoods. A shame really.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Apr-07-19 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "They’re gonna make this movie about DC in 10 years"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 11:53 AM

5. ""it's 'go go,' not 'cry cry'""
In response to Reply # 4

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 10:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I’ve been online over twenty years and that is..."
In response to Reply # 5

....the most random reply to anything I’ve written.

Also, Last Black Man was a great film, even though (due to circumstances outside my control) I missed the first 20-30 minutes.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Aug-22-19 07:41 AM

10. "I’ve been online over twenty years and that is..."
In response to Reply # 9

far from the most random reply to anything I’ve written.

have you already forgotten what was going on in dc in april?

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 12:17 AM

12. "That doesn’t explain your reply at all"
In response to Reply # 10

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 11:00 AM

13. "*sigh*"
In response to Reply # 12

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Jan-24-20 02:17 PM

20. "LMAO @ this ENTIRE exchange..."
In response to Reply # 13

..hilarisad.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 12:13 AM

26. "Did you really find that funny?"
In response to Reply # 20

I thought it was stupid.

Dude could have easily explained whatever the fuck he was trying to say and how it related to my point about gentrification in DC, but why try to use full sentences to make a point, I guess.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 11:21 AM

6. "Saw it over the weekend. It was aiight."
In response to Reply # 0

I heard really good things so I may have set my expectations too high. The writing could've been tighter.
For the recent crop of Black Bay Films (Sorry To Bother You, Blindspotting), this sits firmly in third for me.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Tue Aug-13-19 12:53 AM

7. "I watched this on Saturday night"
In response to Reply # 0

It took some time for me to formulate my thoughts because the movie was affecting although not overpoweringly so.

Obviously, the story is about a young man's hold on family and his place in the world stripped from him over the years, mostly stemming from his immediate family's loss of their home. That story is told so well and watching Jimmy's loneliness and isolation grow throughout the movie is sad to see.

But what struck me most was the care that Black male friendships and relationships were portrayed. The tender, loving relationship that Jimmy and Mont were refreshing to see. I think I feel about their fictional relationship how many people reacted to seeing Black Panther on screen. The friendship in The Last Black Man in San Francisco was remarkable in their emotional honesty and mutual respect and love for one another. It's unfortunate that male to male relationships like this is rare to see. I'm lucky enough to have had relationships like this with my blood brothers and the movie made me that much more appreciative of them.

The contrast between Jimmy and Mont's friendship and the friendship of the 'Chorus' couldn't be more stark. While the Chorus' joneing on each other was fun at times, it was difficult to see any real reason why they were together. I didn't have friendships like that growing up. I was too sensitive and shy to go all-in on someone like that. Looking at them, now as a forty-two-year-old, I can see the fun within their barbs. But at the same time, it was clear to see how unprepared they were when tragedy struck them even though they only way they could survive in their environment was to toughen each other up (I won't spoil the twist for you.).

I liked how the script drew the character of Jimmy's father so was a tough piece of work by any stretch of the imagination. The actor playing the father communicated the cold edge of a man hardened by life. Watching the performance made me wonder what failing of life caused him to turn on everyone, including Jimmy.

The movie also is an also an ode to San Francisco, at least the San Francisco which gentrifying and the city's myth-making would rather outsiders forget. Having lived in San Francisco about twenty years ago, watching the visuals of the Tenderloin and the Fillmore and other parts of the city brought up nostalgia and the sense of possibility that the city holds for some. It also brought up the anger I felt back then watching people of unbelievable affluence walk around so blithe to the plight many people live within if only because there's so much money spread around to so few people.

It was sad to realize that the city I lived in, which was already being transformed or lost because of the influx of tech wealth became even more, now. Like other critics have mentioned, that displacement of cultural and familial heritage and identity is universal among many cities dealing with gentrification. My sister, who is a movie head, mentioned that during film screenings, folks from outside of the US were able to relate to this movie because that theme resonated with immigrants and refugees.

One last note, if you didn't hear already the director is White. I was listening to The Reel (the LA Times movie podcast) and one of the film critics mentioned that some African-American critics and movie heads are taking umbrage at Tolbert's acclaim for having told a very Black movie. Speaking only for myself, I have to say that I can see the rationale for that viewpoint. But I don't hold it for myself.

If Tolbert didn't already have a keen eye for authenticity and Black relationships, his long-time relationship with the actor who played Jimmy obviously guided his eye and filmmaking process and everything on screen seemed authentic and true to what, in my personal experience, are the type of Black relationships and conversation which happen every day but just aren't captured on film.

Would the movie have been told even better by a Black filmmaker? Possibly. I thought about that after listening to the criticism. All I can say that if a Black filmmaker had made this movie, the difference would only seem negligible. The relationships and characters are well refined.

All in all, I say I was moved more by the emotional impressions than the plot or the performances. But that's not to say that either one of them wasn't top-notch. For first-time filmmakers, this movie is a marvel and I am interested to see anything involving anyone who had their hands in this movie. From the editing and cinematography to the score to the writing and characters, this is a great movie and it wouldn't surprise me to see it get some Oscar love. The cameos were great as well. Miek Epps was dope. Danny Glover was great. But Tichina Arnold especially. I would like to see her get some love during award season because the few scenes she was in are affecting.

So, if you can definitely see this movie.

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Mon Jan-27-20 08:46 PM

22. "I also appreciated the black male friendship on display "
In response to Reply # 7

I recently listed to a podcast about adolescent boys and friendship and this reminded me of it.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Mon Jan-27-20 10:26 PM

23. "The podcast episode was called"
In response to Reply # 22

the lonely american male on Hidden Brian.

When the tough guy cried on Jimmies's shoulder I was moved. Human. He was human and they don't see us as human.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 09:12 PM

28. "It's kind of sad that in the 21st Century ..."
In response to Reply # 23

It's kind of sad that in the 21st Century 'we' are still having to prove this to anyone.

>the lonely american male on Hidden Brian.
>
>When the tough guy cried on Jimmies's shoulder I was moved.
>Human. He was human and they don't see us as human.

I think what I find more touching about this 'new' recent wave of Black indies (Ava's romances, Moonlight, Beale St., this movie, Sorry to Bother You, and others) is the emphasis on the ordinary, unremarkable tenderness and fullness of the characters. They have moments of grandness and power like many Black indies show their characters as. But also quiet, tender moments of quiet and bonding with one another with their mere presence.

But in the same light, it's odd that a movie showing two Black men having what seems to be healthy, normal platonic relationships is in some way provocative. Like you're getting at, 'Black love,' in all its forms stuns some non-Black folks.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Aug-21-19 09:56 AM

8. "I could not get down with this"
In response to Reply # 0

I like the more indy/arthouse movies, but this just bothered me. It's like it wasn't even made for a black audience. Maybe I'll try it again but this just wasn't doing it for me.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 02:04 PM

11. ""bothered you"? hmmm.....I was thinking it is rough to see a clear"
In response to Reply # 8

situation where a group can't "keep it's head above water" ("Good Times" theme song) but.....

hmm....

I didn't want to "go off" on the angle of Black people seeming being thrown out of SF but....since you brought up being bothered by this movie....I'm wondering...can anyone really tell a story about a group "losing" and it not be like a downer/failure/crying type thing?

And then....a white director directed the film.

Can there ever be a good movie about your group losing? Maybe it has to have a "sharp" (not sad/sentimental) edge to work?

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 02:14 PM

14. "Pretty much a perfect film, imo."
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful, sublime...its up there with Moonlight, for me

i will watch this again...just wow.

d

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 02:27 PM

15. "FYI, Amazon Prime folks"
In response to Reply # 0

can watch this for free via Amazon Video. I'll take sometime to watch this flick this weekend.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 08:30 AM

16. "First 10 minutes in I was thinking I wasn't going to like it. "
In response to Reply # 0

It was feeling a lot like a Spike Movie. Once it settled into a story, it was AMAZING.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 03:14 PM

17. "I guess I need to power through those first 10 minutes then "
In response to Reply # 16

Cause that's around when I turned the movie off.

I've heard so many people rave about this movie that I want to give it another shot.

But man it irked me. Right from the jump it felt like it wasn't made by a black person, and almost like it wasn't even made for black people. And the acting seemed hella amateurish. Maybe I'll try watching it again tonight. I want to drink the Kool-Aid. I do.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Jan-24-20 07:53 AM

19. "nope, I still couldn't fuck with this"
In response to Reply # 17
Fri Jan-24-20 07:56 AM by BigWorm

The acting was just awful, the plot was bad. It's like I was watching a different Last Black Man in San Francisco than everyone else.

I had a little bit of hope when Mike Epps showed up, but then he was gone. That right there is the saddest part, if you are hoping Mike Epps will say the movie then it is a legit catastrophe.

That's not even going into the soundtrack. Joni Mitchell and Jefferson Airplane. The fuck out of here.

I like the idea of a movie talking about gentrification and being an awkward black dude in America, but this was "film student's first low budget movie" level bad. It was free on Amazon and I still wanted money back.

I'm glad y'all loved it though. I'm happy to see more arthouse movies with black characters at the forefront. I just want good ones.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed Jan-29-20 09:47 AM

24. "Hard to think that a movie with a 94% RT rating is a "legit catastrophe""
In response to Reply # 19

It just might not be your thing, but ALOT of other people loved this film.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Jan-29-20 12:08 PM

25. "fair enough"
In response to Reply # 24

Again I really tried. But I can't think of the last time I was so turned off by a movie that's won such critical acclaim. It's like I was watching a different movie.

But you're right it's just my opinion. I thought it was bad but yeah it's not Cats level bad.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 12:17 AM

27. "I really liked it. Ironically I missed the first ten minutes"

Probably even the first twenty. I went to the theater to see a different movie and wound going into Last Black Man as a last minute second choice when I couldn’t get in the film I wanted to see. I didn’t even realize it was in theaters until I saw the poster.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 09:21 PM

30. "While I really liked the movie"

I do wish the filmmaker had a movie or two under their belt because there were some amateurish elements to the movie.

And you're right that the first ten minutes or so almost steal your motivation to invest your attention in the movie. But I thought the novelty and depth of the main characters' relationships and the social commentary made getting through some of the pacing issues and the group of friends outside of the home worthwhile.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Thu Jan-23-20 09:50 PM

18. "RE: The Last Black Man in San Francisco (Talbot, 2019)"
In response to Reply # 0

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=120&v=C0FnJDhY9-0
>
>Beyond excited about this

I watched it and I’d say this is a great film.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Jan-24-20 02:46 PM

21. "Beautiful stage play at odds on the big screen..."
In response to Reply # 0

..an innocent perspective on trauma & illness.

That appears to be the case for this film.

While the approach might be indirect (like the leads), the message couldn't be clearer: unappreciated abstract art.

Oddly enough, I understand the praise and criticism. More importantly, I understand why.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 09:17 PM

29. "Describing this as a stage play is an interesting comparison"
In response to Reply # 21

Now that you mention this, the story might work even better as a play. Without the filmmaking conventions the heart of the story, the relationships between the main characters wouldn't have any elements obscuring them.

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 09:41 AM

31. "***SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN***"
In response to Reply # 0

I held off on watching this for a while, but decided to dive in last week and was glad I waited. I really enjoyed this shit.

When Jordan stepped up to Jimmie like he was about to box and then just started crying....man that shit folded me the fuck up. I felt that shit in my chest.

I really enjoyed Montgomery. It was just the little shit...running beside the skateboard...the stage direction of the niggaz on the corner...the climax between him and Jimmie at the stage play...I just identified with him being unapologetically awkward and genuine as fuck.

Really good film. More stageplay than film, as mentioned above...but right in my fucking wheelhouse.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Feb-29-20 10:16 PM

32. "On the stage play critique"
In response to Reply # 31

Some of the more epic shots skateboarding down the hill couldn’t be captured onstage.
But yeah obviously the budget was limited

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734111 Previous topic | Next topic