Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734037

Subject: "Free Solo" Previous topic | Next topic
Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Free Solo"

There was never a thread? Incredible documentary. It's not all about the ending either...the buildup is very interesting and engaging. In addition to being a natural thriller, it's a very quality character study with cool insights into rock climbing craft & culture. Inspiring AF. Bonkers camera shots.

And about the ending...even though you know he makes it, you will still feel all of the tension and nerves from the sheer awesomeness of the task and the stakes. Trust me.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So well done.
Mar 18th 2019
the relationship stuff was so well done too.
Mar 18th 2019
Loved it
Mar 18th 2019
seconded
Mar 18th 2019
      Imagine not only memorizing every inch of a 3,000 ft wall
Mar 18th 2019
I've watched it 4 times since watching it a few weeks ago
Mar 18th 2019
Tjhey showed it in IMAX too right? I wish i saw it there
Mar 19th 2019

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So well done. "
In response to Reply # 0

It actually depressed the SHIT out of me because there's literally nothing in life I am even remotely that passionate about.

Really masterful to be that gripping given you know the outcome. Akin to knowing how a magic trick works and still being blown away by it. Masterful filmmaking

Also, they did an excellent job humanizing but not lionizing Honnold

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Deebot
26762 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the relationship stuff was so well done too."
In response to Reply # 1

the dynamics of doubt & blame, the fear of dating someone like that, maximizing lifespan vs attempting incredible feats, etc.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 01:31 PM

3. "Loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved it because it showed how much preparation goes into feats like this. Too often people want to label someone like Honnold as a freak or as someone almost superhuman. All they are doing is making an excuse to why they don't have the guts or determination to accomplish something in their own lives. This movie shows that with preparation, practice, time, knowledge, patience, determination, and the right amount of fuck it attitude you can accomplish anything.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "seconded"
In response to Reply # 3

that montage of him journaling and talking through the problem was masterful

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Deebot
26762 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 03:07 PM

5. "Imagine not only memorizing every inch of a 3,000 ft wall"
In response to Reply # 4

But also memorizing how you need to move on it...pretty unfathomable.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 03:26 PM

6. "I've watched it 4 times since watching it a few weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-18-19 03:34 PM by Oak27

Quite frankly, I'm obsessed with Alex as both a climber and human. I'd estimate about 80% of the visual content I've consumed since my first time watching Free Solo has been about Alex or rock climbing in general. I also ended up reading his book, with the updated version including chapters leading up to and climbing El Cap. The book gave me a better understanding of Alex as a "normal" human, such as what he wants in a relationship and his pursuit of girls (it goes into detail in his meeting of and initial "courting" of Sanni).

It's not hyperbole when people say the free solo climb of El Cap was both one of the biggest physical and mental achievements in human history, and yet every interview with him about it he passes it off as no big deal, but not in a cocky, passive way, but in a genuine "please don't make a big deal out of this, there are more important things in life" way. Like, this dude risks his life for 4 hours, does the most impressive climb in human history, and all he can say to his gf walking down the wall is that he's "delighted."

Also, I couldn't help but respect how real this dude is when it comes to priorities and what he values. The scene in the front of the van where Sanni was asking him what it would take for him to put other people in his decision making regarding these free solo climbs and he's like "Are you asking me if I would stop for you, where we are, right now? The answer is no" had me dying. It seemed like every step of the way she was there to be like "you don't have to do this" and he'd just be like "I know, but I like really want to".

He mentioned in some interview (I think his most recent Joe Rogan pod appearance) that most free solo deaths occur not on extreme, bar raising climbs, but on the easier routes, mostly due to the frequency of these kinds of climbs compared to the former, but I can't help but think a lot of falls are the result of taking it too easy and slipping on something cause you weren't 110% engaged. While I trust in his abilities, it sucks to feel that there's a really high chance I'm gonna log onto Twitter one day and see the news that he took his last climb.

Beyond Alex, beautiful documentary and makes me even madder that Yosemite was on fire when I stopped by on my road trip last summer. I'm definitely heading there sometime in the next 6 months for a proper trip.

Also, low key MVP is the camera man Mike at the base of the wall who can't even watch. That dude is ALL OF US. Fuck it, shout out to ALL those guys who had to film their friend risking their life and keeping it all together. The amount of relief all those guys must have felt that night is immeasurable.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Tue Mar-19-19 01:27 PM

7. "Tjhey showed it in IMAX too right? I wish i saw it there"
In response to Reply # 0

----------

IG @h_n_z

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734037 Previous topic | Next topic