Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733479

Subject: "Russian Doll (Amy Poehler, Netflix, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Tue Feb-05-19 10:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Russian Doll (Amy Poehler, Netflix, 2019)"

This is the shit. That is all.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's really good
Feb 06th 2019
2 eps in
Feb 08th 2019
Caught about four episodes over the past week with my sister
Feb 06th 2019
Yes this was great. Binged last weekend.
Feb 07th 2019
check your spoilers yo
Feb 08th 2019
      Ha nah my post is all about the real life of the main actress, not ...
Feb 08th 2019
           lol my bad
Feb 08th 2019
                Haha all good - it was a mistake in pursuit of a worthy cause.
Feb 08th 2019
Who Love Drugs more than me? 'Nobody.'
Feb 09th 2019
Fascinating theory on the underlying meaning of the show SPOILERS
Feb 12th 2019
That ending kinda got to me. They really wrapped it up beautifully.
Feb 13th 2019
this was cool
Feb 18th 2019
I enjoyed it. And now that Gotta Get Up song is stuck in my head.
Feb 18th 2019
maybe because I was nodding off, but I didn't get the last ep
Feb 19th 2019
There's a good recap I read after seeing the last ep that helped.
Feb 19th 2019

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 08:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's really good"
In response to Reply # 0

And has a lot in common with "The Good Place" in that explores relationships, what it's like to be a good person, and other philosophical and existential questions. I enjoyed it a lot, despite me not quit getting the ending.

https://uproxx.com/tv/russian-doll-the-good-place-comparison/

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 08:53 AM

5. "2 eps in"
In response to Reply # 1

I like it so far. I didn't know that o' girl from Orange is the New Black was the star (one of my fav characters from the show, next to Tasty).

At first the humor in it wasn't really my thing. But once it got going I was into it.

They aren't overdoing it with the Groundhog Day thing (yet), so pacing it out and changing her actions is at least keeping it from retreading that same ground of being pretty much all-knowing after living out every possible scenario of that day.

Plus I'm happy with the in-and-out 8 episode count. I'll make short work of it.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 10:54 PM

2. "Caught about four episodes over the past week with my sister"
In response to Reply # 0

On one hand, I can't say anything bad about it. The premise is interesting, the acting is good. It's well-written both in terms of continuity and humor.

But I can't get past the perception that the show is just a modern retelling of Groundhog Day. Like my sister can't keep raving about it and all I think of is, 'This is just derivative of Groundhog Day.'

It could be because the show starts centered on the woman and I don't feel (or an comfortable admitting) that I'm much like her. I think if the series focused on the guy, I'd be more into it. Not that the show can't be centered on a woman for me to relate, but I think its that, like the guy-reincanter, her personality is on the opposite spectrum from his (and mine).

That being said, Natasha is funny and the side characters are interesting as well. Maybe after watching the rest of the season, it'll grow on me.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24375 posts
Thu Feb-07-19 09:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yes this was great. Binged last weekend."
In response to Reply # 0

Ended up in a rabbit hole about Natasha Lyonne's struggles w/drugs in the mid-2000s and was shocked. I'm sure I'd heard about all of it in passing at the time but I obviously completely forgot about it. She's fortunate (a) to have survived, but (b) that it all took place just before iPhones/social media. Cause from what I was reading she was legit in like the courtyard of her housing complex all strung out when fans ran into her and shit. Sad stuff. Glad she made it thru.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 08:46 AM

4. "check your spoilers yo"
In response to Reply # 3

At least just type *Spoilers* in the subject, mayne.

Brew
24375 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Ha nah my post is all about the real life of the main actress, not ..."
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Feb-08-19 10:33 AM by Brew

... a storyline of the show. Haha.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 10:51 AM

7. "lol my bad"
In response to Reply # 6

Brew
24375 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 12:08 PM

8. "Haha all good - it was a mistake in pursuit of a worthy cause."
In response to Reply # 7

I've played spoiler before on a college friend email chain I'm on, pertaining to The Sopranos and subsequently Breaking Bad ... so when I first saw your post I was certain that I'd screwed up again, and was pissed at myself.

Was glad to see I hadn't haha but I still support your efforts, better safe than sorry.

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 11:17 PM

9. "Who Love Drugs more than me? 'Nobody.'"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Brew
24375 posts
Tue Feb-12-19 03:29 PM

10. "Fascinating theory on the underlying meaning of the show SPOILERS"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-12-19 03:41 PM by Brew

Lyonne even seemingly co-signs it in the comments. I was saying to my buddy earlier that I subconsciously knew there was something to the 80s/early 90s aesthetic, and all the seemingly random things like the homeless dude/his shoes, the parade a the end, etc. And I had kind of been hoping someone would put it all together for me at some point lol.

https://twitter.com/zinoman/status/1092448220482101248

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Wed Feb-13-19 10:52 AM

11. "That ending kinda got to me. They really wrapped it up beautifully. "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm still kinda choked up thinking about it. That last thing that Nadia tells Alan about not being alone.... fuck man, I'm ready to cry right now thinking about it lol

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 10:33 AM

12. "this was cool"
In response to Reply # 0

not great but pretty good. shot episodes, only 8 episodes long. worth watching. it took me a few episodes to really get into it. i couldnt see where they were going with it until 3/4 episodes in.

Quas
Member since Oct 29th 2008
312 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 11:47 AM

13. "I enjoyed it. And now that Gotta Get Up song is stuck in my head."
In response to Reply # 0

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Feb-19-19 03:11 PM

14. "maybe because I was nodding off, but I didn't get the last ep"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't know if it was supposed to be open ended or what. I couldn't tell if they gave it an abstract ending in case it was greenlit for a second season or what.

I liked that last montage with the Carnivale stuff and the split screen. And I definitely like that song by Love. But I didn't really get that as an ending to the story.

Maybe I need to rewatch it. I was half asleep and just took pain meds so maybe it wasn't the right time to watch some of that thinking man shit.

Brew
24375 posts
Tue Feb-19-19 10:23 PM

15. "There's a good recap I read after seeing the last ep that helped."
In response to Reply # 14

Cause originally I didn't fully grasp the final ep either, despite liking it for the most part. I couldn't really figure out what the message was.

I'll have to look back and find it but if/when I do I'll post it up for you. It definitely helped me tie up the loose ends/misunderstandings I had.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733479 Previous topic | Next topic