Scott Derrickson Returning to Direct 'Doctor Strange' Sequel by Borys Kit DECEMBER 11, 2018 2:20pm PT
When it comes to negotiations, they're in the endgame now.
Marvel is finally ready to conjure up a sequel to Doctor Strange.
Scott Derrickson, who directed and co-wrote the mystical Marvel hero's initial 2016 outing, has quietly finalized a deal to helm the new installment.
A search for a writer to pen the script is about to get underway.
Benedict Cumberbatch will return as Stephen Strange, the good doctor turned master of the mystic arts, as will Benedict Wong, who played his right-hand man, Wong. Rachel McAdams, who played Stephen Strange’s love interest, is likely to return as well.
Strange was last seen de-materializing in the $2 billion-grossing Avenger: Infinity War, where one of his lines of dialogue served as the inspiration for the title of the fourth Avengers movie, Avengers: Endgame.
Marvel has been tight-lipped about its plans for life after Endgame, which it is calling Phase Four. After all, how much can there be when half your heroes are supposed to be dead?
In any case, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the plan is for the script to be hashed out in 2019 with an eye toward a spring 2020 production start. If all goes well, the movie would be casting its spell on audiences in May 2021.
Marvel had no comment.
Derrickson carved out a résumé of horror movies such as 2005's The Exorcism of Emily Rose and 2012's Sinister before making 2016’s Doctor Strange, which grossed $677.7 million worldwide. Earlier this year, he directed the pilot for TNT’s adaptation of Snowpiercer, but parted ways with the production after the showrunner was replaced.
'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' Loses Director Scott Derrickson JANUARY 09, 2020 4:30PM by Borys Kit
The filmmaker has left over creative differences.
Marvel’s Doctor Strange sequel has lost its director.
Scott Derrickson has exited Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness due to “creative differences,” The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
"Marvel and I have mutually agreed to part ways on Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness due to creative differences," the filmmaker wrote Thursday on Twitter. "I am thankful for our collaboration and will remain on as EP."
The feature project was heading toward a May start, which is not expected to shift. Benedict Cumberbatch is reprising his role as the master of the mystic arts while Jade Bartlett is still a writer on the project. The pic's release date remains set for May 7, 2021.
Derrickson had been on the project for about a year and had, along with Marvel, said the story would be horror-tinged and be connected to the upcoming Disney+ series WandaVision. It is unclear whether where the film will end up on the scares scale was a factor in the head-butting. In December, Derrickson cryptically tweeted, "Studio release dates are the enemy of art." It is unclear if he wanted to push back the movie's release in order to have more time to work on it.
Derrickson was already making post-Strange plans and in December announced that after Multiverse of Madness, he would be tackling an R-rated horror adaptation of a Joe Hill work he had written with longtime collaborator C. Robert Cargill.
Honestly the first Dr. Strange was just okay. They can find a better director.
In the end what do I know, but articles definitely made it seem like Derrickson wanted to make the first MCU horror movie, while Feige wanted another superhero movie with a few scary parts along the way.
If that's the case, I'd lean towards Feige's side. I love horror movies and I like the MCU but I don't really need to see those worlds combine. While I do think the MCU needs to take more risks if they hope to stay on top, that route doesn't interest me personally for Dr. Strange. And yeah yeah I know the comics are more horror blah blah I don't care.
Having said that, if they made a horror Ghost Rider or Blade, I'd be ALL IN.
3. "how about Guillermo del Toro?" In response to Reply # 1
i dug the 1st Dr Strange flick and was looking forward to the 2nd leaning MORE into the Horror side of things. But if Marvel & Derrickson were having creative differences that couldn't be worked out, how about Guillermo del Toro?
Sam Raimi in Talks to Direct ‘Doctor Strange 2’ By ADAM B. VARY and JUSTIN KROLL FEBRUARY 5, 2020 4:07PM PT
Sam Raimi, who helped launch the modern superhero movie with 2002’s “Spider-Man,” is in talks to direct “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” for Marvel Studios, Variety has learned.
Raimi replaces original director Scott Derrickson, who Variety reported on Jan. 9 had officially departed the project due to creative differences. Derrickson will remain as an executive producer. Raimi, meanwhile, will need to get up to speed before the film’s scheduled production start date in May.
Marvel had no comment.
After finishing his “Spider-Man” trilogy for Sony Pictures with 2007’s “Spider-Man 3,” Raimi’s output as a director slowed considerably, with just the horror pic “Drag Me to Hell” in 2009 and Disney’s “The Wizard of Oz” prequel “Oz the Great and Powerful” in 2013. Instead, he’s been busy as a producer, helping relaunch various horror franchises like “Poltergeist” and his own classic, “Evil Dead.”
This is something of a coup for both Raimi and Marvel, given Raimi’s reputation with comic book fans — 2004’s “Spider-Man 2” is still widely regarded as one of the best superhero movies ever made. And with 15 features to his name as a director — including the beloved horror trilogy “The Evil Dead,” “Evil Dead II,” and “Army of Darkness” — Raimi is also the most established filmmaker to join the Marvel Studios fold since the earliest days of the studio, when Kenneth Branagh and Joe Johnston respectively directed the first “Thor” and “Captain America” movies in 2011.
Since then, Marvel’s m.o. has been to hire talented filmmakers who’ve made just a few (or zero) features before, and nothing at a blockbuster scale, like Joss Whedon, Anthony and Joe Russo, James Gunn, Ryan Coogler, and Taika Waititi. Raimi, by contrast, comes to “Doctor Strange 2” with his own distinctive visual style and decades of experience with making tentpole movies, especially featuring Marvel superheroes.
Benedict Cumberbatch is returning as the Sorcerer Supreme after his 2016 debut, and subsequent appearances in “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Avengers: Infinity War,” and “Avengers: Endgame.” Benedict Wong and Chiwetel Ejiofor are also expected to reprise their roles from the original film as, respectively, fellow sorcerer Wong and Strange’s compatriot-turned-nemesis Karl Mordo. And Elizabeth Olsen has been tapped to reprise her role as Scarlet Witch, aka Wanda Maximoff, for a storyline that Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has said will link up with her Disney Plus series “WandaVision,” which will debut in December.
Rachel McAdams, however, will not reprise her role as Strange’s colleague Christine Palmer.
“Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” is scheduled to open on May 7, 2021.
Marvel Studios’ next theatrical project, “Black Widow,” will open on May 1, followed by “Eternals” on Nov. 6, and “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” on Feb. 12, 2021.