Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732681

Subject: "The Lion King (Jon Favreau, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Nov-22-18 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Lion King (Jon Favreau, 2019)"

The Lion King Official Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbLXeGSDxg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
chills
Nov 22nd 2018
This is going to make so much money n/m
Nov 23rd 2018
The Lion King Official Trailer
Apr 10th 2019
*pulls out realistic CGI agenda*
Apr 10th 2019
      what's ideal to you?
Apr 10th 2019
           i don't really care if its a remake
Aug 05th 2019
                RE: i don't really care if its a remake
Aug 05th 2019
lets talk about how underwhelming this was
Aug 05th 2019

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu Nov-22-18 09:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "chills"
In response to Reply # 0

yo, dumbo doesn't do much for me, but this shit right here gave me chills. LK is all time favorite along with Aladdin. really hoping both of the remakes deliver though i'm still reserved on aladdin. LK though, i don't see how they could mess it up.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Fri Nov-23-18 03:05 PM

2. "This is going to make so much money n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 07:29 AM

3. "The Lion King Official Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

The Lion King Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TavVZMewpY

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 02:54 PM

4. "*pulls out realistic CGI agenda*"
In response to Reply # 3

it looks pretty. credit to the artists

but it just looks like a nature documentary. Photo realistic CG is synonymous with lifeless

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 04:38 PM

5. "what's ideal to you?"
In response to Reply # 4

i'm a huge fan of hand-drawn animation and (also because of my aversion to remakes and take-it-or-leave-it attitude toward modern computer animation and CGI-heavy live action) was hugely skeptical of the live-action remakes disney's been doing, but once i started watching them (TJB, pete's dragon, and B&TB) i had to give it up for the blend. the original animated movies can't be faded. i think i might be more offended if they tried to remake them in bubbly computer animation. what would you do/prefer, and do you have the same issue with all of the other remakes?

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 01:07 PM

7. "i don't really care if its a remake"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Aug-05-19 01:17 PM by hardware

i just don't like style clashing

they supposed to be singing and dancing, so you either have to stylize it or take out the singing and dancing cause its not gonna work. There's a suspension of disbelief you have to have in a musical to make it believable so it works on the stage and in a cartoon because what you're looking at is a metaphor. In a live action movie, you're looking at slightly heightened reality. Its not separated enough from actual reality so fantastical elements don't work without seeing the seams of moviemaking.

Aladdin did an ok job because they treated it more like a stage play, or at least it looked like it, they could have leaned a lot harder on it, imo.

for me its more about what serves the concept.

i think computer animation has come a long way in terms of style. Shrek looks ugly, but Trolls looks good. I remember when Kung Fu Panda came out and it actually had squash and stretch which was missing from all of Dreamworks previous work. After that CG got a lot more expressive and people got to experiment with more styles so it all doesn't look the same now. I think Spiderverse is going to end up being another turning point. That movie got a lot right. If you pick up the art book you can see how close they stayed to even the pre production sketches.

realism on the other hand has so many variables. most of the time artists will get a shot with crazy lighting and have to basically do their best to have a bunch of cg shit try and fit in on a short time or just have nothing to go on like the last fight scene in Black Panther. The same team worked on Endgame.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 05:15 PM

8. "RE: i don't really care if its a remake"
In response to Reply # 7

>i think computer animation has come a long way in terms of
>style. Shrek looks ugly, but Trolls looks good. I remember
>when Kung Fu Panda came out and it actually had squash and
>stretch which was missing from all of Dreamworks previous
>work. After that CG got a lot more expressive and people got
>to experiment with more styles so it all doesn't look the same
>now. I think Spiderverse is going to end up being another
>turning point. That movie got a lot right.

i enjoyed trolls' animation style as well. you are right about the advances, of course, but i still see most of these films that i manage to see as at least superficially similar to each other... usually a very smooth and shiny 3d look and a ton of color. it's not that i need it to be only one way, but i still like the more restrained palette and drawing style in 2d animation. that's what part of what made into the spiderverse so refreshing, and i would be thrilled if it continues to have an influence.

>If you pick up the
>art book you can see how close they stayed to even the pre
>production sketches.

i should definitely do that. i also need to pick up the movie on 4k or blu-ray and see the extras. i've only seen it once so far, when it was out.

>realism on the other hand has so many variables. most of the
>time artists will get a shot with crazy lighting and have to
>basically do their best to have a bunch of cg shit try and fit
>in on a short time or just have nothing to go on like the last
>fight scene in Black Panther. The same team worked on
>Endgame.

i forget what i saw recently where i stayed through the credits and saw all of these different effects companies listed. my understanding is they each are tasked with a specific element or maybe scene (but often an element in a scene or scenes shared with a totally different company they may not even be in communication with). i guess it's just the reality of the kind of movies being made and making the big bucks these days. it would be cool to see a movie given the proper time and resources to get all of this right, like a movie equivalent of one of those secret/surprise albums. i guess that's a pipe dream, but it's cool to dream.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Aug-05-19 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "lets talk about how underwhelming this was"
In response to Reply # 0

I was excited for this. Trailers looked good. I was fine with most of their casting choices, minus Beyonce. She cants act for shit and they keep giving her voice over roles? At least if she is on screen I can be distracted from her acting with her looks. Not happening here. But its Lion King so they got my money. Just out of curiosity. So right off the jump the animated opening. Much better. So I knew from there it was not going to be good. Visually it looked amazing. They do such an amazing job with these movies. The voice actors did a good job for the most part. But the movie was just bleh. Nothing new or different. I enjoyed Scar's new version of Be Prepared. Timon and Pumba were the clear stand outs in the movie. Billy Eichner was fantastic as Timon. I didnt mind young Simba and Nala. But Donald Glover and Beyonce were fucking terrible. Did not enjoy them at all. I had low expectation for Beyonce and she was worse than I expected. Jungle Book is not the Lion King and maybe because of that they felt they could slightly tweak the story and change things and nobody would mind. This was just Lion King with CGI. Nothing new or different. it would have probably been the same if the new cast just voiced over the original cartoon. Then put that out in theaters.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732681 Previous topic | Next topic