Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #731740

Subject: "Marvel Studios to create TV shows for Disney streaming service." Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Marvel Studios to create TV shows for Disney streaming service."

What the fuck is the point of Marvel TV? Outside Cloak and Dagger, Runaways, and Punisher maybe they should just fold.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/loki-scarlet-witch-tv-series-marvel-disney-streaming-service-1202947551/

Loki, Scarlet Witch, Other Marvel Heroes to Get Own TV Series on Disney Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)
By JUSTIN KROLL
Film Reporter
@krolljvar

Disney is enlisting Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the company prepares to launch its upcoming streaming service. The entertainment giant is in early development on an ambitious plan for a number of limited series centered on popular characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These series will likely include shows centered on Loki and the Scarlet Witch, along with other beloved superheroes who have yet to appear in their own standalone movies.

Marvel and Disney had no comment.

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions. Each series is expected to include six to eight episodes. Marvel Studios will produce the shows and Kevin Feige, the guru of all things MCU, is expected to take a hands-on role in their development.

The pricey gamble with one of the crown jewels of the Disney film empire is a sign of how much the company has riding on its direct-to-consumer platform. As companies such as Netflix and Amazon continue to grow their user base, Disney is trying to find a way to establish a toehold in the streaming revolution upending Hollywood. The company has kept the details of the service close to the vest, beyond saying that it will likely cost less than Netflix and will launch at some point in late 2019.

Disney has already started to unwind its licensing deals in order to put as much premium content on the platform as possible. That’s meant that the company is forfeiting billions of dollars in profit, as well as shouldering the cost of developing the technology. The company has announced a number of high-profile projects, including a Star Wars series overseen by “Jungle Book” director Jon Favreau, a show based on “High School Musical,” and a live-action “Lady and the Tramp” film. The company also plans to offer several new releases when it launches, including its live-action “Dumbo” film and “Captain Marvel.”

Many of these projects are expensive bets. The Star Wars series will reportedly cost $100 million and the movies are expected to carry budgets north of $25 million. However, Disney has to spend big to make an impression. Netflix, its main rival, has 125 million subscribers globally and has lured top talent like Ryan Murphy (“American Horror Story”), Kenya Barris (“Black-ish”), and Shonda Rhimes (“Grey’s Anatomy”) to its platform with record-setting deals.

The Marvel series are in early development and writers have yet to be attached to the projects. Marvel TV Studios and Disney have been active with shows that include ABC’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and Netflix’s “Daredevil,” but sources say those shows will stay under Marvel TV banner with these limited series set under Marvel Studios.

Storylines for each series are still being teased out, but Disney appears to be holding back some significant fire power for the big screen. Insiders stress the Avengers that have gotten their own movies like Iron Man and Captain America will not be featured in the series with the studios focusing on characters who have served as second tier characters in the MCU.

When all is said and done, the Avengers shows could be the streaming service’s most ambitious project both in terms of their scope and budget. Most important, it gives the service something that will attract comic book fans and represents the type of content Netflix would love to get its hands on.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm damn near burnt out with the Marvel shows on Netflix...
Sep 20th 2018
I agree, but it has potential
Sep 20th 2018
this wouldnt be netflix or abc bullshit. it'd be legit mcu.
Sep 20th 2018
      that actually gives me greater concern of oversaturation ...
Sep 20th 2018
           ^^^^^^ I actually like that the Netflix joints have a separate feel.
Sep 20th 2018
           oversaturation is inevitable...
Sep 20th 2018
                Haven't seen JJ S2, or Punisher, or one episode of Iron Fist
Sep 20th 2018
                     I don't blame you.
Sep 20th 2018
                          RE: I don't get this burnout talk at all
Sep 01st 2019
                          Punisher was the best of the mcu on Netflix
Sep 06th 2019
Move the Damage Control tv show to this platform
Sep 22nd 2018
Falcon-Winter Soldier Limited Series in the Works With ‘Empire’ Writ...
Oct 30th 2018
wha--at?
Oct 31st 2018
I'm slightly worried about this
Oct 31st 2018
      RE: I'm slightly worried about this
Oct 31st 2018
           RE: I'm slightly worried about this
Nov 01st 2018
I'm on board with a Falcon-Winter Soldier show
Oct 31st 2018
Just announced at D23... 3 new shows!!!
Aug 23rd 2019
She-Hulk & Moon Knight TV Shows, Wow
Aug 24th 2019
      what
Aug 24th 2019
      Nope
Aug 24th 2019
           I Hope You're Right & I'm Wrong
Aug 26th 2019
                it's not really a question
Aug 26th 2019
                     I was scratching my head too.
Aug 26th 2019
Disney + ain't fucking around
Aug 24th 2019
I'm more interested in their non-Star Wars/MCU content
Aug 26th 2019
y'all know you won't get Disney+ on the Firestick, right?
Aug 26th 2019
I don't think this is an accurate interpretation.
Aug 26th 2019
I disagree
Aug 27th 2019
Could someone provide a source either way?
Sep 01st 2019
      links:
Sep 01st 2019
           it's like I said.
Sep 01st 2019
                I still disagree, but you do you
Sep 03rd 2019
                the link you posted agrees with me *shrug*
Sep 03rd 2019
                     not really though
Sep 03rd 2019
                          maybe you can't read between the lines
Sep 03rd 2019
                               maybe you just like being a troll
Sep 03rd 2019
                                    you don't seem to know what a troll is.
Sep 03rd 2019
                what's the accurate interpretation then?
Sep 03rd 2019
                     that disney+ will eventually be on Amazon's platform.
Sep 03rd 2019
I was barely interested in their content, now i give zero fucks
Sep 01st 2019
this is a bizarre response
Sep 01st 2019
I don't blame you
Sep 03rd 2019
      holy shit you don't know anything
Sep 03rd 2019
           No one was even talking to you, troll
Sep 03rd 2019
                shit, you don't have to talk to me now.
Sep 03rd 2019
the deal is done, just like I said *months ago* that it would be
Nov 07th 2019
after a thread like this, I'd hate me too tbh
Nov 18th 2019
this is probably what im gonna switch to from netlflix
Sep 03rd 2019
this is the biggest loser of the streaming wars
Sep 04th 2019
I'm with you
Sep 05th 2019
that's why the response above was so weird
Sep 05th 2019
      especially with the Fox merger
Oct 20th 2019
           do you have links to articles about their original content?
Oct 21st 2019
                ehhh, it might not be efficient to chase people who are
Oct 21st 2019
                You hit it all on the head
Oct 22nd 2019
                this was their big originals announce in August
Oct 21st 2019
                     thanks, that's what I was looking for
Oct 22nd 2019
verizon customers get a year free
Oct 22nd 2019
The short doc up on Disney+ has me geeked for these shows.
Nov 16th 2019
I watched this as well.
Nov 19th 2019

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 08:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm damn near burnt out with the Marvel shows on Netflix..."
In response to Reply # 0

I KNOW I wouldn't watcha Loki show or anything else that they wanna do.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 08:56 AM

2. "I agree, but it has potential"
In response to Reply # 1

With it being a purely Disney/Marvel project overseen by Kevin Feige, they can make it directly related to the MCU movies. There's more room to play around.

Unlike the Netflix shows, where the connections to the MCU are very vague.

I think the Disney shows are going to be completely different from the Netflix ones. In a good way.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 09:28 AM

3. "this wouldnt be netflix or abc bullshit. it'd be legit mcu."
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

Bumaye
Member since Jul 28th 2005
800 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 11:28 AM

4. "that actually gives me greater concern of oversaturation ..."
In response to Reply # 3

and diminishing returns and shark-jumping

(it kinda feels like it has to be imminent anyway; i feat that this may be that)

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 11:43 AM

5. "^^^^^^ I actually like that the Netflix joints have a separate feel."
In response to Reply # 4

Trying to tell a cohesive story and spanning it across all the films AND the TV shows with larger connectivity would be exhausting.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 12:46 PM

6. "oversaturation is inevitable..."
In response to Reply # 4

A few friends of mine are already feeling the fatigue.

Not me, and probably not most people who grew up on Marvel comics.

It'll happen eventually. I'm just happy that they built all the way to the Infinity War/Gauntlet story arc. That's pretty impressive.

After Avengers 4 it'll all be dessert to me. I'll still watch them, but I'll be expecting diminishing returns from then on. These shows included.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 01:11 PM

7. "Haven't seen JJ S2, or Punisher, or one episode of Iron Fist"
In response to Reply # 6

And as hyped as I wanna be for DD S3, I'm just not..

I'm tired...

I really wanted to quit after IW, but then Black Panther happened, and IW made me really, really care about Dr. Strange..and now they they got Fantastic Four....shit...

I think I'm done with the TV side though. If they make the TV shit interact with the movies? I'm done for real.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Sep-20-18 02:16 PM

8. "I don't blame you. "
In response to Reply # 7

Unless you're a completest or just all-purpose fan:

JJ S2 is disappointing
Both seasons of Iron Fist are not good.
DD S2 was only ok.

But The Punisher was actually pretty good. Mostly because it tried hard to distance itself from the other shows.

It feels more like a crime drama about a dude with severe PTSD fighting his inner demons by shooting up people who just happen to be bad.

Jon Bernthal really sells it. If you can overlook the fact that it's a Marvel show, it's worth a shot. The only real connections are o' girl from Daredevil shows up for a couple episodes, and then there's the obligatory Turk cameo. That's really it though. You can watch this without having seen any of the other shows.

But yeah, if the burnout is real...eh, there's plenty of other stuff out there.

Oh, and I think the events in IW guaranteed that the Netflix shows will never directly tie into the movies. Pre-Infinity War, I bet they might have attempted a crossover if the Netflix shows had views on the level of Game of Thrones/Walking Dead right from jump. But there's no way they're going to jeopardize a billion dollar franchise with shows that have gotten lukewarm reception at best.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 12:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "RE: I don't get this burnout talk at all"
In response to Reply # 8

You don’t even have to watch all of this stuff. It’s not like you needed to watch Jessica Jones to understand Endgame.

Daredevil season two was awesome to me. Iron Fist season one wasn’t really worth my time. I think ignored its second season for a while as a result but it definitely was a step up (low bar to get over tho).

The MCU Disney+ shows will have bigger budgets than most (all?) Marvel TV shows and I’m a legit fan of cats like Falcon and Winter Soldier. I’ll tale the rest as they come. WandaVision added Monica Rambeau and the hilarious federal agent from Ant Man and The Wasp (name?) so I will be watching for them alone. They just announced a bunch of new shows at D23 which diminishes the odds that we will see news seasons of Daredevil or Punisher in Disney+ any time soon, but I am still crossing my fingers for that down the road.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Kahlema
Member since Jan 31st 2003
16850 posts
Fri Sep-06-19 02:16 PM

50. "Punisher was the best of the mcu on Netflix"
In response to Reply # 8

>But The Punisher was actually pretty good. Mostly because it
>tried hard to distance itself from the other shows.
>
>It feels more like a crime drama about a dude with severe PTSD
>fighting his inner demons by shooting up people who just
>happen to be bad.
>
>Jon Bernthal really sells it. If you can overlook the fact
>that it's a Marvel show, it's worth a shot. The only real
>connections are o' girl from Daredevil shows up for a couple
>episodes, and then there's the obligatory Turk cameo. That's
>really it though. You can watch this without having seen any
>of the other shows.

Definitely has a different feel, isn't superhero/mutant/Marvel feeling partly because the main character Frank Castle doesn't have super powers or rich like Batman. Just a dope badass. I'm glad it got two seasons...would watch it on Disney+ if they revived it and kept the same cast & writers.

-------
peace and love

that's when i tiptoed out ur inbox (c) ricky

http://instagram.com/kahlema
http://twitter.com/jazzlema

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Sep-22-18 03:51 AM

9. "Move the Damage Control tv show to this platform"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe a Moon Knight show? Since they got guap to throw around...

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 09:45 PM

10. "Falcon-Winter Soldier Limited Series in the Works With ‘Empire’ Writ..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/falcon-winter-soldier-limited-series-marvel-1203015438/

Falcon-Winter Soldier Limited Series in the Works With ‘Empire’ Writer
By JUSTIN KROLL and JOE OTTERSON
OCTOBER 30, 2018 5:30PM PT

Marvel heroes Falcon and Winter Soldier are teaming up for a potential limited series at the Disney streaming service.

Variety has learned exclusively that Malcolm Spellman has been tapped to write a series featuring the two superheroes, which is currently in development at the streamer. It is the first of the proposed Marvel limited series to find a writer.

Marvel and Disney declined to comment.

Falcon and Winter Soldier, played by Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan respectively, have both appeared in multiple Marvel films to date, including the recent blockbuster “Avengers: Infinity War.”

While Winter Soldier was a key character in the second “Captain America” film, the character who became the Winter Solider — Bucky Barnes — first appeared in the original “Captain America” film in 2011. Falcon made his first appearance in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.”

Spellman previously worked as a writer and co-executive producer on the hit Fox series “Empire” and wrote the screenplay for the feature film “Our Family Wedding.” He is repped by CAA and Industry Entertainment Partners

News of the development comes after Variety exclusively reported that Marvel and Disney were prepping multiple limited series centered on characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe who had yet to appear in their own standalone films. At that time, it was reported that characters like Loki and Scarlet Witch would also be the subject of their own limited series. The series are expected to be six to eight episodes.

Unlike other Marvel shows like “Daredevil” and “The Punisher,” the series on the Disney streaming service will be produced by Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige, who has headed up the MCU for years. The shows are also expected to have large budgets compared to other television projects.

The news also comes as Netflix canceled Marvel shows “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” which both ran for two seasons. The two street-level heroes were part of the four-hero crew that made up the limited Netflix series “The Defenders,” which included Daredevil and Jessica Jones. “Jessica Jones” has already been renewed for a third season, while “Daredevil” launched its third season earlier this month. “The Punisher” was renewed for a second season at Netflix back in December.

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 09:07 AM

11. "wha--at?"
In response to Reply # 10

I like the sound of that. The Loki and Scarlet Witch news didn't move me much, but this has me interested.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 09:23 AM

12. "I'm slightly worried about this"
In response to Reply # 11

Now we have talk of a Hawkeye show, a Loki show, a Scarlet Witch show, and now a Falcon/Winter Soldier show? On the one hand it's the potential to add more depth to the characters and their relationships with one another, and expand the universe.

On the other hand, it feels like overload. Already some people are claiming superhero fatigue, and that's just from 2-3 MCU movies a year. Add on a bunch of shows, not to mention everything already out there (Agents of Shield, The Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, the remaining Netflix Marvel shows) and it feels like too much--even for me.

Granted, if this stuff actually gets made, and with the actors from the movies, it will definitely be the push to get me to pay for the Disney streaming service. But damn I don't really need that many superhero shows. Give me like two more and I'm good.

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 08:00 PM

14. "RE: I'm slightly worried about this"
In response to Reply # 12

> Already some people are claiming superhero fatigue, and that's just from 2-3 MCU movies a year. Add on a bunch of shows, not to mention everything already out there
>(Agents of Shield, The Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, the remaining Netflix Marvel shows) and it feels like too much--even for me.

I feel you, but it's not like they're all required viewing. I've never seen The Runaways or Cloak & Dagger and I'm just fine with that. Plus I skipped S2 of Luke Cage and jumped ship on Iron Fist early — wasn't for me. If you're trying to be a super fan and soak up *everything* coming out, it could be a problem. If you're selective, tho, it should be all good — especially in this case with Feige (sp?) heading it up.

But I DO feel you on the overload. I predict that things will start thinning out in the near future (including DC + others) and only the best of the best will remain.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Nov-01-18 12:20 PM

15. "RE: I'm slightly worried about this"
In response to Reply # 14

>
>I feel you, but it's not like they're all required viewing.
>I've never seen The Runaways or Cloak & Dagger and I'm just
>fine with that. Plus I skipped S2 of Luke Cage and jumped
>ship on Iron Fist early — wasn't for me. If you're trying
>to be a super fan and soak up *everything* coming out, it
>could be a problem. If you're selective, tho, it should be
>all good — especially in this case with Feige (sp?) heading
>it up.
>
You're probably right. Although I should suggest giving Luke Cage S2. Even though it was canceled. It was way better than S1 and ends on a great, unexpected note. You made the right call on Iron Fist though.

>But I DO feel you on the overload. I predict that things will
>start thinning out in the near future (including DC + others)
>and only the best of the best will remain.

Yep. Except for Black Panther 2 and maaaaybe Spiderman 2, I expect that thinning out will happen after Avengers 4. I'll still probably go see them, but I bet the days of each movie making a billion dollars will be over.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I'm on board with a Falcon-Winter Soldier show"
In response to Reply # 10

They had a humorous chemistry in the airport scene in Civil War.

Also looking forward to the Scarlet Witch show, although I wonder who the villain would be. Perhaps she will hunt down the Hydra types who gave her powers? Or now that Disney owns Fox, she'll discover her father is Magneto?

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Aug-23-19 06:35 PM

16. "Just announced at D23... 3 new shows!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ms. Marvel

Moon Knight

She-Hulk

Cotdamn these niggas ain't fucking around!

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 02:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "She-Hulk & Moon Knight TV Shows, Wow"
In response to Reply # 16

I'm looking forward 2 out of 3 character shows, hopefully they can now get a lot of missing plots & stories out the way before going to the big screen, the only problem I know this will cause is Disney will most likely not cast the same people in the series in the movies; but that's just me guessing.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 02:17 AM

18. "what"
In response to Reply # 17

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 06:38 AM

19. "Nope"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat Aug-24-19 06:39 AM by bwood

>the only problem I know this
>will cause is Disney will most likely not cast the same people
>in the series in the movies; but that's just me guessing.
>
>
>
That's the whole reason it's Marvel Studios and not Marvel Television.

All of these shows, actors included, will tie into the films.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 03:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "I Hope You're Right & I'm Wrong"
In response to Reply # 19

>All of these shows, actors included, will tie into the films.

What I've noticed about some actors, they want to play a character but then get tired of it really quick while other actors don't mind doing a long run of playing one character.

I've seen it well too often when a big named actor does a role then gets bigger than says I'm done, let someone else do it, and it throws off the movies somewhat by having to get use to another actor living up to the past person's standards; that's why I like it when actors who haven't been in many movies get a role cause they are willing to go the long haul verses well known ones.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 08:23 PM

24. "it's not really a question"
In response to Reply # 23

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 09:39 PM

26. "I was scratching my head too."
In response to Reply # 24

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 07:32 AM

20. "Disney + ain't fucking around"
In response to Reply # 0

The Mandalorian trailer looks very promising. Rogue One prequel series announced centered around Cassian and K2S0. Season 7 of Clone Wars announced. Hell yeah on all these for Star Wars fans.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 10:09 AM

22. "I'm more interested in their non-Star Wars/MCU content"
In response to Reply # 20

They already sold me on the Star Wars and MCU stuff--although I'm starting to think that it's overload--but despite the fact that those two properties are making billions of dollars, I don't think they'll sustain the streaming service by themselves.

They're going to need some Emmy/Golden Globe level content. A Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. A Handmaid's Tale. A Stranger Things. An Orange Is the New Black.

Movies too. Roma, A Ghost Story, Manchester By the Sea.

I want to see what that material will be like, and if they are going to bring in A+ talent to drive it.

People are going to get hyped over the action/adventure content. But if that's the main content that they're offering, the fatigue is going to set in mighty quickly.

Obviously this is on their radar, but I'm just curious as to when they're going to release details.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 06:48 AM

21. "y'all know you won't get Disney+ on the Firestick, right?"
In response to Reply # 0

That was the bomb they dropped. Disney+ will be on almost every other platform except Amazon. Which could means that they're planning on taking Hulu with them.

It seems like everyone is overlooking this game changer. Unless they announce later that it'll be available on the Firestick, the fact is that not only will they be doing battle with Netflix content-wise, but they'll also try to put the hurt on Amazon, as more people will be tossing out that fire stick for a roku, or to use that Xbox, or whatever devise Disney comes out with (or buys outright).

It was just a small detail in the article I read, but I was like what the actual fuck. They're not just trying to compete with other streaming services, they're trying to get this shit on lock.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Aug-26-19 08:24 PM

25. "I don't think this is an accurate interpretation."
In response to Reply # 21

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Aug-27-19 06:10 AM

27. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 25

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 12:15 AM

29. "Could someone provide a source either way?"
In response to Reply # 25

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 07:18 AM

31. "links:"
In response to Reply # 29

https://www.multichannel.com/news/disney-plus-wont-be-available-on-amazon-fire-tv-at-launch

https://fortune.com/2019/08/19/disney-streaming-service/

The general opinion is that they'll come to an agreement, but for now--NOPE.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 11:02 AM

32. "it's like I said."
In response to Reply # 31

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 06:14 AM

34. "I still disagree, but you do you"
In response to Reply # 32

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 11:16 AM

37. "the link you posted agrees with me *shrug*"
In response to Reply # 34

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 12:47 PM

38. "not really though"
In response to Reply # 37

"Alternately, Disney may have decided it could somehow harm Amazon by withholding its content from Fire."

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 12:55 PM

39. "maybe you can't read between the lines"
In response to Reply # 38

"Update: Disney didn't comment for MCN. But an individual close to the company said it would be "misleading" to indicate that a deal won't be carved out with Amazon before November 12. "

"an individual close to the company" is someone who works there.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 12:58 PM

41. "maybe you just like being a troll"
In response to Reply # 39

That's cool, they internet always needs people who just make short wiseass comments instead of engaging in actual discussion.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 01:33 PM

43. "you don't seem to know what a troll is."
In response to Reply # 41

if you're mad that you're making bad assumptions then that's a you problem.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 06:51 AM

35. "what's the accurate interpretation then?"
In response to Reply # 32

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 11:16 AM

36. "that disney+ will eventually be on Amazon's platform."
In response to Reply # 35

I felt like that was clear?

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 06:05 AM

30. "I was barely interested in their content, now i give zero fucks"

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Sep-01-19 11:02 AM

33. "this is a bizarre response"
In response to Reply # 30

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 12:57 PM

40. "I don't blame you"
In response to Reply # 30

From what I'm seeing, original content-wise, Disney+ is riding hard on its two billion dollar franchises: the MCU and Star Wars.

Just in my opinion, if you don't care about any of that, right now Disney+ won't seem very enticing. As I said elsewhere, I'm way more interested in their other drama/comedy content and original movies.

Will they try to bring Oscar/Emmy caliber movies right at the gate? I'd like to hear that they cut a deal with del Toro, or Wes Anderson, or hell Ryan Murphy to be the showrunner for some original Disney+ show(s).

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 01:32 PM

42. "holy shit you don't know anything"
In response to Reply # 40

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 08:05 PM

45. "No one was even talking to you, troll"
In response to Reply # 42

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 11:11 PM

46. "shit, you don't have to talk to me now."
In response to Reply # 45

there is no requirement for you to reply to my bullshit

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 04:35 PM

58. "the deal is done, just like I said *months ago* that it would be"

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1192551332491800595

please ignore all clickbait and stop trying to predict what companies will do if you've never opened one of their earnings reports

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Nov-18-19 03:18 PM

60. "after a thread like this, I'd hate me too tbh"

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Sep-03-19 01:45 PM

44. "this is probably what im gonna switch to from netlflix"
In response to Reply # 0

im not interested in 90% of netflix original content. Most of it is bad programming that couldnt get picked up on tv. Or bad knock offs. Their catalogue of older movies is dwindling and getting harder to find via their interface. It shouldnt be easier to find what older movies are on the channel via a 3rd party site than their own site. Disney has the back catalogue of shit, so I think Im in on this.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Wed Sep-04-19 10:14 PM

47. "this is the biggest loser of the streaming wars"
In response to Reply # 44

>Their catalogue of older movies is dwindling
>and getting harder to find via their interface.

why is it harder than ever to find movies released before 2000? like in *any* form? I had Hulu for years solely for the fact they had a huge Criterion Collection archive available to stream.

I understand why Netflix does not put much money into licensing fees with the looming streaming wars, it's just disappointing that watching anything from the past is so difficult right now.

--------

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 01:44 AM

48. "I'm with you"

I think I could just subscribe to Netflix like 3 months a year and watch everything I'm interested in.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Sep-05-19 08:09 AM

49. "that's why the response above was so weird"

disney has been very methodical about making sure they've got pretty much everybody lined up for a "oh that's my shit right there" moment for at least some of the content

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sun Oct-20-19 03:56 AM

51. "especially with the Fox merger"
In response to Reply # 49

they have the whole family lined up. They got the disney vault to go to for the little ones. Then throw in Marvel, 20th Century, PIxar, HULU, Touchstone, and all the tv shit. Shit cant forget about Lucas film. Who is going to be able to touch them? Plus they are actually putting money into good originals unlike Netflix who is trying to get a lot of original shit out.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 07:23 AM

52. "do you have links to articles about their original content? "
In response to Reply # 51

I'm not trolling or disagreeing with you.

It's just except for The Mandalorian and the MCU shows, and I think one kids Disney joint, I haven't read anything about their original content.

Comedies? Dramas? Disney original movies?

I've said it before around here: I'm probably going to get Disney+, and I'm already sold on their MCU/Star Wars content, but I'm way more interested in the other original content for people who are sick and tired of that stuff. The Kominsky Method, Marvelous Ms. Maisel, Dead to Me, The Handmaid's Tale, even Orange is the New Black. I want to know about their content that's going up to bat against shows like that. I would assume that they have at least some content like that ready to go, I'd just like to hear more about that stuff.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 12:25 PM

53. "ehhh, it might not be efficient to chase people who are"
In response to Reply # 52
Mon Oct-21-19 12:33 PM by Rjcc

"sick and tired" of star wars and MCU stuff?

their original content rollout is scheduled over the next year or two, they're going hard on nostalgia out of the gate because that's their strength.

marvelous mrs. maisel might clean up during awards season, but that shit ain't as appealing as an MCU spinoff for most people (how many people do you know who watched daredevil vs. maisel?), and Amazon would trade it straight up for the fucking hawkeye show alone if it could.

idk man, we're as art farty as still-mainstream consumers mostly get, and they've *got* a show with rick famuyiwa and taika waititi directing episodes of it, you know?

also, I think that right now they're positioning Hulu to go after those people. maybe it will change within a couple of years (I suspect their original content mix will get wider, but right now it's basically: what works in theaters done smaller)

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 12:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
56. "You hit it all on the head"
In response to Reply # 53

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Oct-21-19 12:31 PM

54. "this was their big originals announce in August"
In response to Reply # 52

and they have only said so much since then, there was a trailer for lady & the tramp

also I think there's a lot of stuff on the list that you may not have heard of or hasn't been discussed yet

https://dtcimedia.disney.com/news/disney-plus-at-d23-expo-2019

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 07:27 AM

55. "thanks, that's what I was looking for"
In response to Reply # 54

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 12:14 PM

57. "verizon customers get a year free"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-disney-plus-12-months

i was already coming around to getting it. i was hoping i could pay for it using google play credits are i have a healthy balance due to the opinion rewards. didnt see a way to get it yet so i held off. then i saw this so yeah.

ill probably keep getting netflix for a month here and there.

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Nov-16-19 07:44 AM

59. "The short doc up on Disney+ has me geeked for these shows."
In response to Reply # 0

Man with these shows, they really aren't playing around.

Kevin said that they're going to make sure Ms. Marvel is in the films once her show wraps up.

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 05:51 PM

61. "I watched this as well. "
In response to Reply # 59

Got me curious enough to watch them.
I was pretty tired of marvel.
But got Disney plus and watched
Dr Strange & Captain Marvel, the 2 films I hadn’t seen from the universe.
I enjoyed them both and am now kind of hype to see if the characters will translate on the small screen.
:never really cared about Hawkeye but I like Renner and want to see what happened in Japan.

The Wandavision premise (a couple characters that were annoying by the end) seems cool as shit.

The what if...? animated show looks promising.

I’ll end up checking them all out I imagine lol.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #731740 Previous topic | Next topic