Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727967

Subject: "Umm, “Lucky” is the best film I’ve seen in years" Previous topic | Next topic
Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Umm, “Lucky” is the best film I’ve seen in years"

I’m not emotional at all, and I cried multiple times. The humor is on point too. One of Harry Deans best performances. David Lynch has a good acting role in this as well. I’m just sitting here in awe...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It was REALLY good. I don't know why it didn't get more attention.
Feb 18th 2018
man...the scene when he chats with the marine...
Feb 19th 2018
It was good. I didn't love it.
Feb 19th 2018

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 04:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It was REALLY good. I don't know why it didn't get more attention."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think it even got a theatrical run in my city. But every review I saw was overwhelmingly positive, and I loved it when I finally got to see it.

I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if it hadn't been for the Twin Peaks connection. It really bears no connection to TP at all, though, apart from the fact that Stanton and Lynch are in it. It gets at existential questions, but not in a way that bears any resemblance to Twin Peaks.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 08:47 PM

3. "man...the scene when he chats with the marine..."
In response to Reply # 1

I couldn't handle that. So haunting, sad, and beautiful. And the dialogue and acting was just so natural and flawless between the two. Probably one of my single favorite scenes ever.

Also loved the phonecall he makes in the dark to one of his friends about shooting the bird when he was a kid.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 08:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It was good. I didn't love it. "
In response to Reply # 0

The hype was little high for me, with Matt Zoller Sietz naming it #1 of 2017.

It's definitely more substantive than your run-of-the-mill "quirky" indie but I still thought the tone was a little odd. Maybe just a dash too unserious at times. I don't know. HDS is great, of course. David Lynch is somehow not a good actor but always interesting at the same time, probably but not definitely because he's David Lynch.

Maybe I'd need to see it again for it *really* resonate, but otherwise not quite in my Top 10 of the year.

----

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727967 Previous topic | Next topic