Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727431

Subject: "Pusher trilogy (I - 1996, II - 2004, III - 2005) - Nicolas Winding Refn" Previous topic | Next topic
PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pusher trilogy (I - 1996, II - 2004, III - 2005) - Nicolas Winding Refn"

1996 Pusher
2004 With Blood on My Hands: Pusher II
2005 I'm the Angel of Death: Pusher III

This series of films are among my all time favorites... Mads Mikkelsen is great in the first 2 of them but there is one performance I really loved the most is in all three and that is Zlatko Buric as Milo...... really really loved the job he did in all three of these excellent films.

I like Refn's stuff but this series is head and shoulders above most of his other stuff imo...

Anybody ever seen Zlatko in anything else? I'm going to track down some of his other performances because I dig this guy.

Anybody else see these films? what'd you think? want to discuss?

Have I made this poast before already?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i liked pusher
Jan 24th 2018
hmm I didn't know that but imo #3 is the best of the series
Jan 26th 2018
i may watch them eventually
Jan 26th 2018
      cool. I'll check that out. thanks.
Jan 26th 2018
I really liked valhalla rising myself
Jan 26th 2018
I'm interested
Jan 25th 2018
This series is much more coherent than his recent stuff
Jan 26th 2018

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 09:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i liked pusher"
In response to Reply # 0

i didn't love it, but i respected its audacity. i watched the documentary on refn and the making of the sequels, and that was interesting, but it made it seem like the two sequels were just concocted to dig him out of a financial hole, which made me not want to watch them. mads is a great actor so it's no knock against him; i'm choosy about sequels, and when they seem motivated more by commercial than artistic reasons it's easy for me to skip them unless they are blatantly commercial franchises and everyone knows what they signed up for with them.

i did see valhalla rising last year finally, and, again, not great but respectable for being so bold.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Jan-26-18 12:08 PM

3. "hmm I didn't know that but imo #3 is the best of the series"
In response to Reply # 1

I enjoyed them all but in order of how good they were I'd say 3 is the best, then 1 and then 2.. they're worth checking out don't let that doc talk you out of it.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Jan-26-18 12:34 PM

6. "i may watch them eventually"
In response to Reply # 3

if you like documentaries, you'd probably enjoy the one i mentioned, which is called gambler:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832348/
it was on the pusher dvd i rented. i was more interested in some of the movies he cited as his favorites and influences than these sequels.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Jan-26-18 12:36 PM

7. "cool. I'll check that out. thanks."
In response to Reply # 6

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Jan-26-18 12:17 PM

5. "I really liked valhalla rising myself"
In response to Reply # 1

as an old DnD head I was feeling it.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 01:03 PM

2. "I'm interested"
In response to Reply # 0

Like everyone else I loved Drive, but he lost me with Only God Forgives, and from what I read Neon Demon sounds just plain terrible.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Jan-26-18 12:14 PM

4. "This series is much more coherent than his recent stuff"
In response to Reply # 2

granted they're subtitled but if you liked Drive more than Only God Forgives and Neon Demon then you'll like these I bet..

I like all of them but Only God Forgives and Neon Demon are definitely more surreal and art film ish than the Pusher series/... the pusher series is gritty realistic character driven crime flick material and doesn't bother to get all wild with lighting, metaphor and gratuitous bizarre ish which Only God Forgives and Neon Demon certainly do.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727431 Previous topic | Next topic