Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727237

Subject: "The Continental (John Wick spinoff) " Previous topic | Next topic
xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 10:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Continental (John Wick spinoff) "

Looks like it's officially found a home.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/keanu-reeves-john-wick-tv-series-is-officially-happenin-1822035855

GIZMODO

TELEVISION
Keanu Reeves' John Wick TV Series Is Officially Happening on Starz

We’re still more than a year away from the third entry in the John Wick franchise—starring Keanu Reeves as the titular assassin, who’s really just trying to bond with a dog—but fans of the series will be pleased to learn that the previously rumored television spinoff has found a home on Starz.

Set in the same world as the John Wick films, The Continental will tell the story of the Continental hotel, a place where the world’s deadliest assassins go to lay low when they aren’t out and about killing people. Though Reeves has not been confirmed to reprise his role as Wick on the series, he’ll serve as co-executive producer along with Basil Iwanyk and Chad Stahelski, who directed all three John Wick films. Chris Collins (The Man in the High Castle, The Wire) will serve as showrunner and writer.

Though The Continental’s home on television might make you assume that the show won’t be nearly as action-packed as the film series it’s tied to, Starz is confident that the show will be able to deliver on epic fight scenes. Said Starz CEO Chris Albrecht today at the Television Critics Association winter press tour:

“The Continental promises to include the thunderous fight sequences and intensely staged shootouts between professional assassins and their targets that fans have come to expect in the John Wick movie franchise as well as introducing some new, darkly compelling characters who inhabit this underground world.”

Given how visually stunning some of John Wick’s choreography was, The Continental has some fairly large shoes to fill. Hopefully, we can expect those shoes to be filled (with blood) when The Continental drops some time in the near future.

PLEASE DON'T KILL ANYMORE DOGS

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm excited
Jan 13th 2018
yeah Keanu HAS to pop up
Jan 13th 2018
I'll kick this old thread up.
Oct 10th 2023
I watched EP 1 and didn't finish up, but I intend to.
Oct 10th 2023
I enjoyed it, but I’m a sucker for this shit
Oct 11th 2023
      I actually have only watched half of the first John Wick
Oct 11th 2023
           Glad to hear it!
Oct 11th 2023
           The show is a bit lighter in tone compared to the movies
Oct 11th 2023

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Sat Jan-13-18 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm excited "
In response to Reply # 0

If it's good I'll definitely add a Starz subscription.

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Jan-13-18 08:24 PM

2. "yeah Keanu HAS to pop up"
In response to Reply # 0

whole thing sounds dope.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Oct-10-23 07:55 AM

3. "I'll kick this old thread up."
In response to Reply # 0

I was going to start a new one, but I figure I'll kick this one up.

Interesting to know this was going to be on Starz originally. I wonder how many folks watched this as I have no clue what kind of appeal Peacock has.

Pretty interesting decision to make this only three episodes since most streaming shows are for at least 8 episodes. I'm not complaining, but that was an interesting choice for sure.

I thought the action choreography was pretty good, although after I was done watching the season, I thought it was a bit odd how the actor that played Winston was noticeably taller than Ian McShane. I suppose that is a slight nit pick. The prequel did a great job fleshing out new characters in the short three episode duration of the season.

What did folks here think of the season?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Tue Oct-10-23 10:25 AM

4. "I watched EP 1 and didn't finish up, but I intend to."
In response to Reply # 3

It's not that ep 1 was boring, too much was happening for it to be boring, but it just didn't really grab me.

If I want a beat em up, I can watch Warrior, better fights and a more complex story too.

*shrug*

I'll finish the last 2 eps and see how I feel.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Oct-11-23 06:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I enjoyed it, but I’m a sucker for this shit"
In response to Reply # 3

This is only gonna appeal to huge John Wick Fans, but that’s a big audience, so maybe it catches on. Casting, action, and pacing were all decent, and I’m pretty much on board for any 70’s NYC based stuff. Took a while to get used to seeing Mel Gibson again. I thought he had been relegated to making direct-to-DVD movies lol.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Wed Oct-11-23 09:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I actually have only watched half of the first John Wick"
In response to Reply # 5

>This is only gonna appeal to huge John Wick Fans

and I appreciated this series; I liked the lore

--------

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Oct-11-23 01:25 PM

7. "Glad to hear it!"
In response to Reply # 6

The whole franchise has done a great job of world building, so maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Wed Oct-11-23 03:29 PM

8. "The show is a bit lighter in tone compared to the movies"
In response to Reply # 6

Dunno if that's why you might have found it harder to get into the movies, but I found the show to be a bit easier to get into, especially the new characters. I'm assuming that's because the movies are from John's POV compared to Winston's on the show; Winston is seemingly more even-keel compared to John Wick, hence why the two are different approaches to their respective stories.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727237 Previous topic | Next topic