Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #726086

Subject: "Anyone still watching Shameless? (S8)" Previous topic | Next topic
Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone still watching Shameless? (S8)"

Still can be fun, but think it's time to hang it up

Frank will fuck up in another two episodes

It always cracks me up to watch women through themselves at Lip like he's some handsome ass dude and not funny looking

I love me some Emmy Rossum, but the last couple seasons Fiona droppinnn her "g"s sounds really unnatural.

Liam as a recruitment prop thing is pretty funny. I'm not used to the new kid though. That's not Liam

Ian and his new dude... don't care much

Carl is still carl but another running out of shit to do situation

Kev's real fam was pretty fun i suppose

Debs the last 3 seasons has easily been my least favorite part of the show

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
very obviously spinning it's wheels
Nov 27th 2017
Just decided to stop recording it...
Dec 02nd 2017
Was one of my favorites S1-S5 but then of course got Showtimed
Dec 04th 2017
this season blows major. Ended it so neatly last year
Dec 04th 2017
You're not missing anything. I'm not watching any other shows right now
Dec 04th 2017
I quit back around the time Carl quit selling guns
Dec 05th 2017
they've legit run out of shit to do with every character
Jan 08th 2018
Last ep felt like The Shameless of old
Jan 23rd 2018
yes.. it's been an age since they took it there... but they did.
Jan 24th 2018
i liked the last 3 episodes
Feb 05th 2018
Guess I'm the outlier here. Nearly everyone has an interesting arc IMO
Sep 15th 2018
aside from Lip, most of those strories fell flat to me
Sep 15th 2018
Binged season 8 a couple weeks back on Netflix.
Sep 16th 2018
It's gotten so stupid
Sep 17th 2018
right now. Carl, Frank and Liam are barely keepin me in it
Sep 24th 2018
I still watch
Sep 24th 2018
Oh I thought Season 7 was essential, but could've ended there.
Sep 25th 2018
S9, they're getting more and more annoyingly political
Oct 01st 2018
I gave up this year. After last season, I lost interest.
Oct 02nd 2018
Anyone still watch this? I gave up
Dec 12th 2019
RE: Anyone still watching Shameless? (S8)
Dec 13th 2019

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "very obviously spinning it's wheels"
In response to Reply # 0

Season 7 ended neatly, and there was no need for a Season 8 really

the tone of this season changes from scene-to-scene

Every conflict is resolved within the hour

just not all that special

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Sat Dec-02-17 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Just decided to stop recording it..."
In response to Reply # 0

This season is putting the nail in the coffin. Shortly before reading this, I cancelled the scheduled recordings because my interest is now gone.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 04:36 PM

3. "Was one of my favorites S1-S5 but then of course got Showtimed"
In response to Reply # 0

To me it ended last season, it was a decent ending and there was no need for S8 (or S7 for that matter)

This is why I hate Showtime, they did the same damm thing with Californication

Series start out good to great, run their course, but they just milk them until they get pointless

Don't care to watch this season

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 04:42 PM

4. "this season blows major. Ended it so neatly last year"
In response to Reply # 3

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 06:50 PM

5. "You're not missing anything. I'm not watching any other shows right now"
In response to Reply # 3

so I'm still watching

TigerWood's spinning its wheels description is dead on

There's nothing new or interesting going on, and it's at the point where they map everything so obviously that you know exactly what's gonna happen, even though they treat it like it's gonna be an "Oh Shit!" moment. Last night's episode was especially glaring in that respect.

but i'm still watching.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 07:21 PM

6. "I quit back around the time Carl quit selling guns "
In response to Reply # 0

I couldn’t do it anymore...was hoping it got better but doesn’t sound like it

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Jan-08-18 04:43 AM

7. "they've legit run out of shit to do with every character"
In response to Reply # 0

None of these storylines are interesting

Both the Ian and Frank stuff feels mad preachy

Kev and Vee.. she's still fine and all, but i can barely force a chuckle

Debs.. blech

Carl and his crazy girl.. eh

What was the point of replacing Liam again?

Fiona and this hipster scottish dude? what is that

Lip might have the best storyline, but that's only because the others are so bad

and it sucks because i like all these people. This is painful

yet i keep watching.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Tue Jan-23-18 03:48 AM

8. "Last ep felt like The Shameless of old"
In response to Reply # 0

To little to late but damn @ 'toes'

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 02:45 PM

9. "yes.. it's been an age since they took it there... but they did."
In response to Reply # 8

*snaps pruning shears*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Feb-05-18 07:23 PM

10. "i liked the last 3 episodes"
In response to Reply # 0

the show started to feel like its old self

most of the season has been pretty weak. aside from just running out of material, it seemed like they felt they had an obligation to push some themes and stories that countered trumpism. that's fine and all, but it felt forced. I think by season's end they settled into their old self.

since they'll undoubtedly go at least another season, we'll see if they can carry over some of that momentum.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Sat Sep-15-18 02:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Guess I'm the outlier here. Nearly everyone has an interesting arc IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

-Lip's AA involvement, the shit with his sponsor, his professor, the sponsor(s), his unconventional new "relationship".

Everything about that is interesting to me, though I don't care for Sierra. I like the subtle, yet glaring sexual tension between him and Cammy.

His unexpected loss, and the coldness with whoch he was greeted in the aftermath.

This is by far the most interesting he has ever been. His arc is among the very best executed of any character, in any season of the show.

He's worth watching this season, all by himself.

-Deb's clearly in development hell, but not as a character. As a person. She's having a hard time in her role as a mother trying to navigate adult whose emotional and intellectual development has clearly stalled out. This definitely isn't her season the way it is Lip's or Ian's, but she's fine.

-Ian actually has a solid arc that doesn't deal with him being bipolar. The religion angle makes perfect sense, and being faced with having to serve multiple masters with incident with that preist was, IMO, a highlight. His dude is whatever. They'll never be able to return to the highs of his relationship with Mickey, but giving him an actual purpose has been refreshing IMO.

He could have easily been turned into a caricature, but I'd say they treated him with a rather deft hand.

-Fiona has her own life, is still scraping by, but doing so with much more responsibility. She's not really developing any nuances and her relationships have become trite. Ford is an absolute bore.

Also, her new friends are entirely uninteresting to me. Her business ventures took an unfortunate back seat.

-Carl has a Carl arc, not in a great way, not really in a horrible way, but in a way that definitely teeters interesting and just plain annoying. He's provided some good moments of levity. I've known and, unfortunately, had real experience with Cassidy, and she makes my stomach churn.

-Kev, Vee and Svetlana have had a decently entertaining arc with some emotional weight. I look forward to every scene they're in.

Everything isn't a home run, but i can't recall any season that is. JimmySteve was a pretty bad element of the entire show IMO.

There are certain things that are missing, like the warmth of Shiela's entire character, particularly when she'd interact with Liam.

Frank was actually interesting in his newfound uprightness, and it was, IMO, a lowlight to so quickly return him to his baser self.

Liam hasn't been given nearly enough to do, and that's disappointing. His initial story had a promising direction, but they allowed Frank to overshadow him.

All in all, most of the characters showcased real character growth. Lip and Ian are fantastic anchors. Lip in particular is as interesting as he's ever been.

I would like a bit more of that quintessentially Shameless brand sardonic humor. Aside from Carl's brief impersonation of Eric Cartman and the Kev & Vee show, that well had been a tad too dry.

Im on ep 10, but honestly, I think there's plenty of story left to tell with these characters.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Sat Sep-15-18 03:17 PM

12. "aside from Lip, most of those strories fell flat to me"
In response to Reply # 11

>Everything about that is interesting to me, though I don't
>care for Sierra. I like the subtle, yet glaring sexual tension
>between him and Cammy.

Man, I have a thing for Sierra. Who's Cammy?

I think one of the things that's bugging me about this show recently (even going into the new season since i can't stop watching) is aside from them running out of things to do, they seem to feel an obligation to push progressive messages, while still trying to maintain their Shameless edge. Like, here's an anti-trump group of poor/working class whites. And that would be perfectly fine if it didn't come off so obvious. A counter example is i occasionally will watch Blue Bloods (not a good show but..), and aside from them always tyying to mimic current events to counter what they feel is an anti-cop sentiment, they'll run really blatant "liberals-are-clueless" type themes. The daughter will be in class and the professer will be talking FDR, with her Che Guevara poster on the wall and of course she's a horrible human being who can't be reasoned with. I'm not saying Shameless is being THAT corny with it, but I'm getting the same "forced" vibe.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24373 posts
Sun Sep-16-18 08:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Binged season 8 a couple weeks back on Netflix."
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely the worst season IMO. I don't have Showtime so I'm not watching S9 live and don't know if I ever will.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 02:33 PM

14. "It's gotten so stupid"
In response to Reply # 0

I still find myself mindlessly watching the new episodes out of obligation. It's always been one of our shows. I'm going to stop though. I don't really care about any of these people anymore.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 11:23 AM

15. "right now. Carl, Frank and Liam are barely keepin me in it"
In response to Reply # 0

all the other storylines are gawdawful and hold no appeal... I don't know how long those 3 will last either because it's not as if they are providing thrills.... shame how things get played out this show was fire for a while.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 11:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I still watch"
In response to Reply # 0

... I totally agree that they should have ended the show after season 6... I didn't hate season 7, but it was a let down after 6...

I wish that Fiona had stayed single longer, but I like that Ford is really straightforward with her as a voice of reason....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24373 posts
Tue Sep-25-18 08:50 AM

17. "Oh I thought Season 7 was essential, but could've ended there."
In response to Reply # 16

>... I totally agree that they should have ended the show
>after season 6... I didn't hate season 7, but it was a let
>down after 6...

I think the Monica story was powerful and important to the show as a whole. I loved season 7. But I'd agree that season 6 was better and maybe even the best.

Season 8 was awful.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Mon Oct-01-18 03:25 PM

18. "S9, they're getting more and more annoyingly political"
In response to Reply # 0

i guess they think it's a clever way to address issues shameless style, but scenes are starting to feel like PSAs

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Oct-02-18 01:45 PM

19. "I gave up this year. After last season, I lost interest. "
In response to Reply # 0

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Thu Dec-12-19 05:17 PM

20. "Anyone still watch this? I gave up"
In response to Reply # 0

I literally got as far as the opening credits of this season. When Debs hopped on the toilet to replace Fiona, i was like yeah I'm not doing this again lol.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Dec-13-19 03:46 PM

21. "RE: Anyone still watching Shameless? (S8)"
In response to Reply # 0

Lost interest about halfway through Season 5 or 6? IDK.. Then, Showtime got turned off.

Being seeing it on my Netflix menu for some time now..

Perhaps I will try to get caught up with it if I ever get that bored, but I can't say I really miss these characters too much. After a while, it felt like a lot more of the same.

Reading this thread makes me think maybe there has been some interesting stuff in the last few seasons, maybe.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #726086 Previous topic | Next topic