Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725755

Subject: "All the Money in the World (Ridley Scott, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"All the Money in the World (Ridley Scott, 2017)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x62O8A8qHw

Dope trailer right?

LOLOLOL too bad Kevin Spacey got fired by Ridley and then later told Sony he fired that perv. All of his scenes are going to be reshot with Christopher Plummer as Getty.

Still gunning for the 12/22 release date.

Cop a poster cause it's gonna be worth some shit.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I get the stand but it seems a bit extra lol
Nov 09th 2017
Shit is wild b
Nov 09th 2017
      RE: Shit is wild b
Nov 09th 2017
           You could be right.
Nov 09th 2017
here's what I don't get
Nov 09th 2017
You're absolutely right.
Nov 09th 2017
Not that this *should* matter... but there's the number of allegations.
Nov 09th 2017
fuck Roman Polanski
Nov 09th 2017
homophobia.
Nov 09th 2017
he's not
Nov 09th 2017
no. i mean the 'erasing' stuff.
Nov 09th 2017
I'm sure homophobia plays a part
Nov 13th 2017
Homophobia literally has nothing to do with this at all...
Nov 13th 2017
Feel stupid yet? You should.
Jan 11th 2018
Replacing Kevin Spacey on ‘All the Money in the World’ Will Cost Mil...
Nov 12th 2017
this whole thing seems like an overreaction at first.
Nov 13th 2017
      It's REALLY hard to disassociate Spacey from his art now.
Jan 11th 2018
This shit is fucking gangster!!!!!
Dec 26th 2017
poor ridley
Jan 11th 2018
Title sounds like a Mike Epps and Brian Hooks buddy heist movie
Jan 11th 2018
I thought this was just ok
Jan 16th 2018

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I get the stand but it seems a bit extra lol"
In response to Reply # 0

The film DONE done, Spacey ain't the lead, apparently he's playing an asshole, and he's wearing so much prosthetics you can't tell its him off the bat.

I get the 'Fuck you!' to Spacey tho, LOL.

bwood
8613 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Shit is wild b"
In response to Reply # 1

Don't be a scumbag.

Also, that's so gangster that Ridley fired him and then told the studio later.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Shit is wild b"
In response to Reply # 2

don't you think this shit is much more self-serving than just firing spacey because he's a piece of shit though?

As in, the movie was going to fucking tank with toxic ass spacey in it, they had already cancelled the red carpet premier, were pulling the oscar campaign, probably weren't going to market it at all. feels to me like they're just trying to mitigate the financial loss (not to mention the big PR hit) they would have taken releasing as is, as opposed to doing it because it's "the right thing."

Now they can make a big awards push with the extra benefit of appearing to be crusading against piece of shit spacey.

I am a cynical asshole though, so maybe I can't help but reading it that way.

----

bwood
8613 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:09 AM

4. "You could be right."
In response to Reply # 3

My thing is this shit has never been done before. Ever.

As MovieBob said "Getting "problem" actors out of movies after the fact could end up being the necessity/invention mega-leap we didn't see coming for Synthespian Animation."

Marinate on that shit.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:09 AM

5. "here's what I don't get"
In response to Reply # 0

Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey - a bunch of sudden sexual allegations come up and it makes such a big wave that it ruins their careers.

Woody Allen? Roman Polanski? Still doing fine. Woody's new movie comes out soon.

I'm glad a new era is coming in of awful celebrities being called on their shit. But there also seems like politics going on as to who gets put on the chopping block.

bwood
8613 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:20 AM

6. "You're absolutely right."
In response to Reply # 5

It's bullshit that those two have gotten away with (Roman literally fled the country and is still evading justice behind his rape charges).

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 12:04 PM

7. "Not that this *should* matter... but there's the number of allegations."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Nov-09-17 12:05 PM by Frank Longo

I've always said Woody's been fine because there's always been only one allegation ever. It's a lot easier for the public to dismiss one allegation as just a disgruntled former worker/family member/jilted ex/whatever. Not saying it's right, but it's true.

Spacey could've gotten the Woody treatment if it was *only* Anthony Rapp-- but the number of allegations is easily.double figures now. Same for Weinstein, same for Cosby.

I think Polanski will have a lot more trouble going forward, because he'd only had one or two accusers until this year, when at least three more have come forward. I'm sure it helps him that he's removed from the Hollywood world at this point and hasn't worked with a real Hollywood celebrity since 2011, but if he's already got five or six accusations, I'd bet more may be around the corner.

Again, not that one *should* condone or dismiss one accusation-- especially when, like Polanski, a motherfucker pleads guilty in court lol. But I'm sure that's why some guys now are getting hammered and others aren't. Nobody's blacklisted some of the actors accused yet who've only faced one accuser-- Johnny Depp's new movie, out this week! Mel Gibson's new movie, out this week!-- it's the accused with myriad accusers who are rightfully finding themselves pariahs for the foreseeable future.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "fuck Roman Polanski"
In response to Reply # 5

I'll never find a reason to watch The Pianist or Rosemary's Baby (although I did see Chinatown in HS film class).

Woody Allen is creepy as fuck, at minimum. Manhattan is all sorts of suspect when you take in the entirety of the person who made it.

--------

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 02:13 PM

8. "homophobia."
In response to Reply # 0

i'll say it.

i'm watching.

Spacey had better not be the only actor who gets this kind of treatment. b/c, really.

fuck you.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 03:03 PM

9. "he's not"
In response to Reply # 8

Allegations against Jeffrey Tambour just came up. And there was the exec from Amazon who had to resign. And a few others.

On the one hand, this was all probably a long time coming and awful celebrities are finally getting their comeuppance.

On the other hand it's starting to feel kind of like a witch hunt.

Allegations come out and BOOM. Career. Over.

I think for a little while at least we're going to see several more cases like these.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 05:06 PM

10. "no. i mean the 'erasing' stuff."
In response to Reply # 9

he's being cut out of a major motion picture set for release in about 5 weeks. his role has been recast and his scenes are being re-shot. that basically never happens except when an actor has died. it's not happened b/c the actor was involved in an off-screen scandal. https://www.salon.com/2017/11/09/hollywood-is-erasing-kevin-spaceys-future/

so why w/Spacey?

fuck you.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 02:37 AM

13. "I'm sure homophobia plays a part"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm not sensitive enough to read the tea leaves but society is immensely homophobic and while Spacey had no power to begin with, it's definitely easier to dismiss him altogether given the public knowledge of his sexuality.

That being said, erasing him from the movie seems to be a bit much. Ridley firing him seems to be somewhat principled, but commerce is still the most significant factor in this case.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 09:08 AM

15. "Homophobia literally has nothing to do with this at all..."
In response to Reply # 13

It's the fact that he's being accused of several instances of trying to fuck 14 year old children, several other instance of serious sexual assault (grabbing people's genitals in public then following them into bathrooms), several more instances of creating a toxic work environment including forcing people into inappropriate touching, and then yet more allegations involving liquoring up an 18-year-old just a year ago on Nantucket and uninvitedly shoving his hand down his pants in the middle of a restaurant.

Point is, these allegations demonstrate a long pattern of truly predatory behavior and would have sunken him regardless of whether they involved men (or boys) or women (or girls).

----

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 08:56 PM

19. "Feel stupid yet? You should."
In response to Reply # 8

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

bwood
8613 posts
Sun Nov-12-17 01:10 PM

12. "Replacing Kevin Spacey on ‘All the Money in the World’ Will Cost Mil..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/kevin-spacey-christopher-plummer-all-the-money-in-the-world-1202611975/

By Brent Lang and Justin Kroll

Ridley Scott’s decision to fire embattled actor Kevin Spacey and replace him with Christopher Plummer comes at a financial risk and carries a significant price tag, as the director races to finish the “All the Money in the World” ahead of its planned Dec. 22 release date.

It’s an unprecedented move, one that’s full of logistical challenges, as well as added, unexpected costs for reshoots, post-production, and the creation of new marketing materials. Some marketers estimate that the creation of new trailers, posters, in-theater standees, and additional advertising campaigns could total millions once rush fees and take-down costs are added up.

Despite the headaches and hit to the wallet, it’s a step that Scott and the film’s financiers Imperative Entertainment deemed necessary in the wake of several sexual assault and harassment allegations against Spacey, who plays billionaire J. Paul Getty in the picture. They felt that continuing on the project with Spacey’s name above the title would cloud its Oscar hopes and doom its commercial prospects.

As it is, “All the Money in the World,” which centers on the kidnapping of Getty’s grandson, is a difficult sell and a film that needs critical goodwill if it’s going to to succeed. Though Sony and Imperative toyed with moving the picture to 2018, they are eager to have it debut in advance of Danny Boyle’s “Trust,” an FX series that also revolves around the Getty kidnapping and airs in January.

Imperative will shoulder the additional costs of reshoots. Reshooting Spacey’s work as Getty is expected to take eight to 10 days, according to insiders close to the project, and will likely be north of $10 million to the film’s budget. It also requires bringing back stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams. Both actors were scheduled to have two weeks worth of reshoots written into their contracts, but they may have exceeded that amount of time already. If so, they will be paid their pro-rated weekly rate, according to agency sources and producers who have handled similar situations.

A character actor of Plummer’s caliber, boasting an Oscar and a long list of credits, can typically command between $250,000 and $400,000 for a supporting turn, according to knowledgeable insiders. Wahlberg and Williams both signed off on the decision to recast Spacey, and their schedules are relatively flexible. Williams is shooting “Venom,” a superhero movie being produced by Sony, the distributor of “All the Money in the World.” It’s in the studio’s interest to make Williams available, which it is doing. Wahlberg is not currently filming a project. He’s on the press tour for “Daddy’s Home 2,” which also makes it easier to slot him into the production.

One option not currently on the table, according to insiders, is to have Plummer do much of his work in front of a green screen and then work with visual effects firms to splice him into pre-existing footage. Most of Spacey’s scenes involve him interacting with only a few other actors or featured solo shots, so Scott and the producers believe that it would be more economical and effective to simply recreate the scenes with Plummer. Digitally inserting actors into footage can be tricky — it’s particularly challenging to make the lighting sync up, sources say. Filming will take place within the next two weeks and the goal is to have the picture locked by Dec. 15, according to insiders.

Scott and his producers are moving into uncharted territory. In the past, filmmakers have had to scramble to complete a picture when a key actor has died — Scott was forced to do this on “Gladitor” when Oliver Reed had a fatal heart attack before he had finished filming. Here, digital trickery was heavily employed. There have also been a few instances in which reams of footage have been scrapped and shot with new cast members, as was the case with Stanley Kubrick’s “Eyes Wide Shut” and Woody Allen’s “September.” Nor is it the first time that high-profile actors have been shuffled mid-production. Robert Zemeckis recast Eric Stoltz with Michael J. Fox five weeks into shooting “Back to the Future” after determining he had the wrong actor in the role.

However, this appears to be the first time an actor’s off-screen scandal has so threatened to overshadow a project that it needed to be retooled and completed under such a tight deadline. As sexual harassment allegations involving everyone from Louis C.K. to Dustin Hoffman to Brett Ratner continue to roil Hollywood, studios, networks, and producers are viewing the “All the Money in the World” case intently. It could, after all, set an important precedent. There’s already been major fallout from having a radioactive star attached to upcoming films or TV shows — Spacey was dropped from “House of Cards,” while the Nov. 17 release date of C.K.’s movie “I Love You, Daddy” was scrapped by the Orchard at the last minute.

It is highly unlikely that the cost of the reshoots on “All the Money in the World” will be covered by insurance, according to two experts on the subject. A typical cast insurance policy covers cost overruns arising from death, illness, or injury to any of the major actors. Spacey’s situation does not match any of those circumstances.

“This would be an out-of-pocket decision,” says Angela Plasschaert, an expert in entertainment risk management. “The cost will be a lot, and I think it will be 100% the production’s cost.”

Some insurers do offer what is called “disgrace coverage,” according to Christie Mattull, managing director of the entertainment division at Hub International Insurance Services. Such policies came into vogue with the advent of reality television, and would cover situations such as the cancellation of a show due to a leading figure’s arrest. However, such policies are rare and are only bought by major studios. A smaller production company like Imperative Entertainment would almost certainly not obtain a policy of that sort, she said.

The reshoot will also complicate “All the Money in the World’s” awards chances. In order for the film to be seen by voters for Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and other key early plaudits, screeners usually have to be pressed and ready to ship by early November. However, Sony believes that a Dec. 15 finish can still allow some voters the chance to screen the finished film.

The film will also need to be re-watched by the Motion Picture Association of America, so the group can assign a rating. The MPAA typically asks for 28 days to review a film, but the ratings board has assured the studio that it will expedite its review.

Sony and Imperative are ultimately are trusting that Scott, a veteran with classic films such as “Blade Runner” and “Alien” on his resume, has the ability to shoot what he needs quickly and economically. In recent years, he’s built a reputation for bringing in pictures on time and on budget. Finishing “All the Money in the World” so it can debut on Dec. 22 will take all those skills and more. It will require him to do something that many people consider nearly impossible.

Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas of Imperative are producing.

Gene Maddaus and Peter Debruge contributed to this report.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 05:31 AM

14. "this whole thing seems like an overreaction at first."
In response to Reply # 12

but they prolly assume people would boycott the film simply because spacey was in it. and that could cost them a lot more than the reshoots.

and they are prolly right.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 08:58 PM

20. "It's REALLY hard to disassociate Spacey from his art now."
In response to Reply # 14

Watching Baby Driver after all this shit came out really tainted that role - this dude who exercises his power over a young kid was a tough watch. They're better off spending the money and hoping for the best - which is what they did. It can't be any worse than the movie straight up bombing.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

bwood
8613 posts
Tue Dec-26-17 07:13 PM

16. "This shit is fucking gangster!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Keep Ridley in mid-budget territory from here on out.

Everyone is putting in work here. No one is slouching.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 10:24 AM

17. "poor ridley"
In response to Reply # 0

he might as well have kept spacey in this, and i hope more footage if not an alternate cut gets released with his performance intact even if plummer ends up better

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 12:47 PM

18. "Title sounds like a Mike Epps and Brian Hooks buddy heist movie"
In response to Reply # 0

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Jan-16-18 10:44 PM

21. "I thought this was just ok"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

__

fairweather

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725755 Previous topic | Next topic