Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725156

Subject: "Gerald's Game (Flanagan, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 11:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Gerald's Game (Flanagan, 2017)"

This was pretty darn good. Very impressive adaptation. I actually thought the more serious themes meshed really well with the story and made it a better movie. Maybe what was most surprising was that it wasn't just disturbing--it actually packed some solid scares, too, which made it more fun than I was expecting. Didn't love the very end, but even that was weird enough that I was kind of fascinated.

Great performance by Gugino in a very demanding role.

Anyway, one of the better Stephen King adaptations. I'd rank it above It, actually, just because it scores some major difficulty points for what it tried to pull off.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yeah, this was pretty entertaining
Oct 04th 2017
SPOILERS
Oct 04th 2017

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Oct-04-17 06:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yeah, this was pretty entertaining"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't sure how a movie with such a simple premise would be able to sustain itself for 90+ mins, but this does a good job of keeping you interested/invested.

I can also say I didn't see the twist at the end at all. I'm not sure it was totally necessary, but (No spoier) it was a fun reveal for a story that has you constantly wondering what's real and what's imagined.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Wed Oct-04-17 01:07 PM

2. "SPOILERS"
In response to Reply # 1

I think I liked the explanation I had in my head better than what they did. The idea of this demon that haunts people who are isolated and on the verge of death is really cool. I thought it tied in to "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon," and since he's all about his shared universe, I thought it was another cool layer to the story. Sad to see it explained away.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725156 Previous topic | Next topic