Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #723695

Subject: "Who Will Finish their Epic First?" Previous topic | Next topic
Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Who Will Finish their Epic First?"

Anyone reading both Berserk and ASOIAF? I've been reading both since about 1997 and at this point it feels like neither one will be completed by their original authors. Both are older men now, both take extended breaks, so I think looking for either of them to finish is probably wishful thinking. But, if you had to pick one, who finishes first?

Poll result (2 votes)
George RR Martin (0 votes)Vote
Kentaro Miura (2 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL
Jul 26th 2017
I agre, I'm not sure either finishes.
Jul 26th 2017
The Winds of Winter is coming out
Jul 26th 2017
haha i've had this same thought before
Jul 26th 2017
GRRM: The Swords Are Drawn
Jul 26th 2017

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-26-17 10:47 AM by BrooklynWHAT

miura's never finishing berserk. he draws it too detailed.

grrm is too lazy to finish ASOIAF. i'd be shocked if another book comes out at all.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 11:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I agre, I'm not sure either finishes. "
In response to Reply # 1

I do understand Miura taking breaks though. Berserk is so detailed and so dark that it has to be draining. Martin though? No excuses.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22097 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 03:42 PM

3. "The Winds of Winter is coming out"
In response to Reply # 1

for sure.
A Dream of Spring... we'll see when. I'd imagine things will be easier for him once the show is off the air and his fame dies down.
To be shocked by TWOW would be silly though

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 07:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "haha i've had this same thought before"
In response to Reply # 0

Kentaro is only 51, he still has plenty of time to wrap things up. At least they finally reached Elf Island

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 08:51 PM

5. "GRRM: The Swords Are Drawn"
In response to Reply # 0

http://grrm.livejournal.com/544709.html

The Swords Are Drawn

Jul. 22nd, 2017 at 4:29 PM

For all you fans of sword 'n sorcery, and/ or my own 'fake histories,' the new anthology from Gardner Dozois, THE BOOK OF SWORDS, has been scheduled for release on October 10, and is now available for pre-order from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Book-Swords-Gardner-Dozois/dp/0399593764 and many other online booksellers. I imagine your favorite local bookseller is taking orders too.

This is NOT one I co-edited with Gargy (people keep getting that wrong), so I haven't read any of the other stories yet, but it looks to have a helluva lineup, with originals by Lavie Tidhar, Daniel Abraham, Scott Lynch, C.J. Cherryh, Robin Hobb, Ken Liu, Cecelia Holland, Walter Jon Williams, and many more. And of course it also includes "Sons of the Dragon," a chronicle of the reigns of Aegon the Conquerer's two sons, Aenys I Targaryen and Maegor the Cruel, for those who cannot get enough of my entirely fake histories of Westeros. That one has never been published before in any form, though I did read it at a couple of cons.

Speaking of fake history... regulars here may recall our plan to assemble an entire book of my fake histories of the Targaryen kings, a volume we called (in jest) the GRRMarillion or (more seriously) FIRE AND BLOOD. We have so much material that it's been decided to publish the book in two volumes. The first of those will cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to and through the regency of the boy king Aegon III (the Dragonbane). That one is largely written, and will include (for the first time) a complete detailed history of the Targaryen civil war, the Dance of the Dragons. My stories in DANGEROUS WOMEN ("The Princess and the Queen") and ROGUES ("The Rogue Prince") were abridged versions of the same histories.

No publication date has been set yet, but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019. The second volume, which will carry the history from Aegon III up to Robert's Rebellion, is largely unwritten, so that one will be a few more years in coming.

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

Meanwhile, you'll have Gardner's anthology to fill the time. Keep your swords sharp!

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #723695 Previous topic | Next topic