Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #721954

Subject: "Marvel Studios should adapt non-Marvel IP " Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Mon May-15-17 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Marvel Studios should adapt non-Marvel IP "

First:

I’d like to see them acquire some quality IP and filter it through the MS machine, though ideally in a way that plays to the MS ethos while retaining the freedom to deviate from the cookie-cutter formula enough to have an identity of its own.

Obviously you want the Marvel Studios magic, but I’d like to see them adapt a non-Marvel property without, well, “Marvelizing” it. I think if they applied the approach taken with Marvel properties to other properties, similar results could be achieved while remaining true to whatever that property might be.

So, good idea? Bad idea?

What properties would be good candidates?

Personally I think it’s a good idea and I’d like to see them tackle DBZ with my first pick.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Id like of them to go an A24 route
May 15th 2017
Marvel could do it with some of their ICON titles
May 15th 2017
That's likely their next step... though Netflix is that for them, curren...
May 15th 2017
No and Maybe.
May 15th 2017
Yeah it should definitely be limited in scope
May 15th 2017
John Bellairs' novels seem like a good fit
May 15th 2017
RE: No and Maybe.
May 15th 2017
      They might be. Box office is slowing a bit, no new franchises.
May 15th 2017
Can we call this the revamp Touchstone Pictures post
May 15th 2017
they have so much content they could work with...why bother?
May 16th 2017
At this moment in time it's kind of a albatross around their neck tho
May 16th 2017
... I don't think it's an albatross in *their* eyes, lol.
May 16th 2017
not if they keep making these Netflix style low budget joints...
May 16th 2017
The ycan literally do both though.
May 16th 2017
I would love to see my beloved DMZ on the big screen
May 16th 2017
DMZ or DBZ?
May 16th 2017
DMZ could work
May 16th 2017
They could reboot Men In Black
May 16th 2017

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon May-15-17 01:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Id like of them to go an A24 route"
In response to Reply # 0

Similar to how in the comic world the big Two (marvel/dc) would dabble and periodically release very indie-esque comics.

Obviously them niggas is now in the business of making billion-makers, but it would be nice if they could have an indie wing working in a producer type roll; if anything Marvel seems to do well is working with young talent and getting shit organized which would do well in an indie movie space.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Mon May-15-17 02:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Marvel could do it with some of their ICON titles"
In response to Reply # 1

and they've kinda done it already with MARV productions and all the stuff that Matthew Vaughn put out (Kick Ass, Kingsman), I'd like to see them adapt some of Ed Brubakers work on the ICON label.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon May-15-17 04:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "That's likely their next step... though Netflix is that for them, curren..."
In response to Reply # 1

They don't need an indie label if Netflix will foot the bill for more cheaper content.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon May-15-17 02:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "No and Maybe."
In response to Reply # 0

There are three brand names that matter in film right now: Disney, Pixar, and Marvel. Disney has seen Pixar's quality start to decline a bit and I think they should be wary of the same thing happening to their other asset, Marvel. (Although Marvel was already more in tune with Disney's approach; far more than Pixar was.) Marvel's expanding to three movies a year and I could see adding more than that stretching the people in charge a bit thin.

That being said, if Feige and Co. think they can handle it, Disney should give them an offshoot brand for a movie or two a year (for starters.) Don't mess with the Marvel brand name but give the people in charge a chance to expand their scope outside of Marvel characters. If it works, you could establish another trusted brand name. If it doesn't, you don't hurt the Marvel brand.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon May-15-17 03:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Yeah it should definitely be limited in scope"
In response to Reply # 3

One, two a year at most should be the goal.

Any ideas on properties?

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon May-15-17 04:09 PM

5. "John Bellairs' novels seem like a good fit"
In response to Reply # 4

Young Adult novels so it fits Disney. They're old enough so while some people still know them, you don't have the pressure of being a straight adaptation or needing to meet high expectations from avid fans.

Start with the Lewis Barnavelt stories: The House with a Clock in its Walls, The Figure in the Shadows, and The Letter, The Witch, and The Ring.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon May-15-17 04:42 PM

8. "RE: No and Maybe."
In response to Reply # 3

do you really think Disney is concerned about the decline in Pixar product when they are still making shit loads of money?

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon May-15-17 05:26 PM

9. "They might be. Box office is slowing a bit, no new franchises."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon May-15-17 05:26 PM by SoulHonky

Pixar and Disney are an odd fit because Disney wants franchises and Pixar prefers original content.

If you look at Pixar's 17 films' box office adjusted by inflation, the Disney Era Pixar films rank : #2, #7, #12, #15, #16, #17. And #2 was Finding Dory, building off of Nemo's success. Also, the competition is catching up. Hell, even the internal competition is heating up with Disney recently launching Moana, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, and Frozen while none of Pixar's films in the last decade seem like they'll spawn a franchise. And three of the next four films are sequels, with Coco being the lone original.

Inside Out helped stem the tide and nobody's losing sleep when the movies are still routinely near the top of the box office but I think it's something to keep an eye on.

----

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Mon May-15-17 04:31 PM

7. "Can we call this the revamp Touchstone Pictures post"
In response to Reply # 0

Cause basically thats what this is about

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue May-16-17 08:18 AM

10. "they have so much content they could work with...why bother?"
In response to Reply # 0

there are a ton of Marvel stories to tell...might as well keep it in house.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-16-17 08:36 AM

11. "At this moment in time it's kind of a albatross around their neck tho"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue May-16-17 08:41 AM by BigReg

Like one of my favorite marvel comic runs in recent memory was Matt Faction did Hawkeye indie comic style where he was just a dude owning a brownstone in bedstuy dealing with neighbors. etc...with the big plot being him balancing out a fuck buddy type relationship that leads to a breakup (for the big breakup the issue took place from the dog's perspective).

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2013/07/Hawkeye-011-002-e1372785944677.jpg

While you can play with different action/suspence genres types (Borne identify spy thriller in Winter Soldier, broad comedy in Ant-Man, I expect a marvel horror film eventually) the fact you've gotta have big action set pieces is kinda of a detriment to those kind of simpler stories.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue May-16-17 10:08 AM

13. "... I don't think it's an albatross in *their* eyes, lol."
In response to Reply # 11

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue May-16-17 01:52 PM

16. "not if they keep making these Netflix style low budget joints..."
In response to Reply # 11

they could do a one-off season of Jeremy Renner doing this (if it fit the continuity) and people would watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue May-16-17 09:45 AM

12. "The ycan literally do both though. "
In response to Reply # 10

I'm talking about creating a smaller, secondary machine to do something different. I think they've proven to be exceptionally consistent in terms of the quality of these films. I'd just like to see some of that magic rub off on something that can use it.

Even within the realm of Marvel, they can create different movies with those characters.

I mean.... if they did a buddy road trip misadventure comedy with Cap, Bucky & Sam in that VW Bug and using their superhero status mostly to awkward comic affect?

If they took Without A Paddle and remade it with those three? Hell they can add Black Widow to the mix.

Take my money NOW.

Sign me up for something like that.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue May-16-17 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I would love to see my beloved DMZ on the big screen"
In response to Reply # 0

but I don't know if I want Marvel touching it.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue May-16-17 01:22 PM

15. "DMZ or DBZ?"
In response to Reply # 14

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue May-16-17 02:29 PM

17. "DMZ could work"
In response to Reply # 14

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue May-16-17 02:30 PM

18. "They could reboot Men In Black"
In response to Reply # 0

considering it was on Malibu which Marvel bought

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #721954 Previous topic | Next topic