Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #721077

Subject: "Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa) (Makoto Shinkai, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2275 posts
Mon Apr-10-17 12:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa) (Makoto Shinkai, 2016)"

so I watched this film twice this past weekend. Downloaded the 720p rip with subtitles on Saturday, and then went to the theatre to watch it on Sunday night.

probably the most beautiful animated film I've ever seen

more people in the West need to go check this out, now that it's been released in North America

highest grossing anime of all time, and it just came out last year in Japan and the rest of Asia

i did a search to see if it was discussed before and didn't see anything, so hoping this isn't a duplicate post

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I really loved this film....
Apr 11th 2017
this New Yorker article is what piqued my interest
Apr 11th 2017
Watched it on a flight headed to Japan last year
Apr 11th 2017
the scenes towards the climax where both main characters
Apr 11th 2017

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue Apr-11-17 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I really loved this film...."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-11-17 09:28 AM by rorschach

I finally sat down to watch it since several critics/blogs hyped it up so much.

The hype was definitely justified.

I don't know exactly how I feel about most of the movie since I just watched it but I'm definitely going to give it a couple more viewings. There's a lot to the film, especially regarding the dynamics of the body swapping that I'd like to go over. I really liked that both Taki and Mitsuha (sp?) developed a level of empathy for one another that wouldn't have been possible otherwise as the film progresses.

Part of me wishes this was a limited series instead of a film because I would've loved to see a longer, deeper take on what happened especially earlier on.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

wrecknoble
2275 posts
Tue Apr-11-17 12:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "this New Yorker article is what piqued my interest"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Apr-11-17 12:46 PM by wrecknoble

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/your-name-the-most-popular-anime-of-all-time-comes-to-america

this paragraph in particular, since i'm a big Murakami fan.

"Midway through, moreover, “Your Name” takes a surprising turn. Its frivolity is interrupted by a great Something that cleaves the protagonists’ lives into “before” and “after,” in a way that anyone who has lived through a 9/11 or a Fukushima will understand. Eventually, the movie becomes a metaphysical love story steeped in Shinto cosmology—“Interstellar,” if that film had been written by Haruki Murakami, perhaps, instead of Christopher Nolan."

---

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Apr-11-17 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Watched it on a flight headed to Japan last year"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved it. Beautiful story and fun as well. I just watched it again this past weekend on the big screen and man it was lovely. That foliage was just jaw dropping. I teared up when I saw it the first time. People should definitely check this out if they can.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

wrecknoble
2275 posts
Tue Apr-11-17 12:54 PM

4. "the scenes towards the climax where both main characters"
In response to Reply # 2

begin to forget each other's names.. feels.. lol

---

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #721077 Previous topic | Next topic