Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #720844

Subject: "The Underground Railroad (Barry Jenkins)" Previous topic | Next topic
shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Underground Railroad (Barry Jenkins)"

Barry Jenkins’s ‘The Underground Railroad’ in the Works at Amazon
By JEREMY EGNERMARCH 27, 2017

Barry Jenkins, the writer and director of “Moonlight,” named best picture at last month’s Academy Awards, is teaming again with that film’s producers for a new television series for Amazon.

“The Underground Railroad” will be an adaptation of the acclaimed Colson Whitehead novel of the same title, winner of the 2016 National Book Award for fiction. As with “Moonlight,” adapted from an original script by the playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney, Mr. Jenkins will write and direct the limited series, which will be executive produced by Pastel, a company co-founded by Mr. Jenkins, and Brad Pitt’s Plan B Entertainment.

The project has been in the works for months but Amazon announced on Monday that it had signed on to develop the series.

“Preserving the sweep and grandeur of a story like this requires bold, innovative thinking,” Mr. Jenkins said in a statement. “In Amazon we’ve found a partner whose reverence for storytelling and freeness of form is wholly in line with our vision.”

Mr. Whitehead’s novel combines historical sweep with surreal details, tracking a young slave who escapes from bondage via an actual railroad. It was a best seller and was one of the most celebrated books of 2016.

The underground railroad already figures in one series: “Underground,” a generally well-received drama for WGN America that began its second season this month.

It is unclear when “The Underground Railroad” would debut on Amazon or how many episodes it would include. The series has not officially been given the green light, though the high-profile nature of the title and figures involved make that seem likely. If it is approved, the show would skip Amazon’s usual pilot process and go straight to series.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/arts/television/barry-jenkins-underground-railroad-colson-whitehead-amazon.html?hpw&rref=television&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Oh. Wow. Another Slave Narrative. Joy. nm
Mar 29th 2017
White folk green light slave movies with the quickness
Mar 29th 2017
Reviews are good.
May 09th 2021
Looking forward to this.
May 10th 2021
Might be the most beautifully shot show I've ever seen
May 15th 2021
Soooo, was anyone else surprised by the...
May 18th 2021
But it is like that in the book too, right?
May 18th 2021
      I have not read the book.
May 18th 2021
This was absolutely incredible. Holy sh**
May 18th 2021

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 08:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Oh. Wow. Another Slave Narrative. Joy. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 11:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "White folk green light slave movies with the quickness"
In response to Reply # 0

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Sun May-09-21 12:05 PM

3. "Reviews are good."
In response to Reply # 0

I really liked the book, didn't even realize this series was in development.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Mon May-10-21 03:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Looking forward to this."
In response to Reply # 0

Mainly because of Jenkins.

https://digife.com

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6732 posts
Sat May-15-21 11:52 PM

5. "Might be the most beautifully shot show I've ever seen"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't read the book so after the first episode, I'm very curious to see where they take this. A lot of horrific stuff in the first hour, though.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Tue May-18-21 09:37 AM

6. "Soooo, was anyone else surprised by the..."
In response to Reply # 0

**EPISODE ONE SPOILER **

...the actual underground train?
I was like..."Are those train tracks?
Oh, there's gonna be a train?"

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Tue May-18-21 04:05 PM

8. "But it is like that in the book too, right?"
In response to Reply # 6

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Tue May-18-21 04:26 PM

9. "I have not read the book."
In response to Reply # 8

I'm walking in knowing nothing.
So is this on par with the book?

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Tue May-18-21 04:04 PM

7. "This was absolutely incredible. Holy sh**"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything about this is impressive, the way its shot, the acting, the pacing, flawless

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #720844 Previous topic | Next topic