Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719492

Subject: "amazon shutting down imdb message boards" Previous topic | Next topic
howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 03:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"amazon shutting down imdb message boards"

announced yesterday and effective feb. 20th:
http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

i only posted about once every couple years, but i see this as another dick move by the establishment and another nail in the coffin of message boards.

i use imdb as a regular resource. professional reviews of films and shows are cool, but i really like word of mouth and what fans think. the imdb boards were an invaluable resource for getting that kind of casual commentary and so much more. there were discussions about the most minute details and thoughtful interpretations that you just won't get anywhere else online from what i've seen, at least not organized so well. if i want to know more about a scene, line of dialog, or plot development in some old, obscure movie i just watched, i don't know where to go now. then there were d-list actors posting under aliases to defend and promote themselves and the people posting who were extras or PAs sharing stories from decades past. that's just fun to read. there were also people with really good taste and depth of knowledge who would recommend or reference something uncommon but awesome. was there trolling and flaming going on on the imdb boards, i'm sure; that wasn't what i came for or paid much attention to. it's hard not to read into amazon's decision as appeasing the powers that be, including hollywood vanity.

it's also another sad day for the message board as a communication platform. there are so many once thriving message boards i've come across that were either deleted since my last visit or are now ghost towns. when i google something and land on a message board, it is so eerie to see one still online without having had a post in years, all the more so when i take a closer look and don't see any announcement of a shutdown or migration. at least the imdb regulars have a couple weeks to do what they have to do before it's all gone, but what i got out of those boards can't be replicated by imdb's social media platforms.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wtf?
Feb 04th 2017
The trolling/racism had gotten bad the last couple of years.
Feb 04th 2017
RE: The trolling/racism had gotten bad the last couple of years.
Feb 04th 2017
      Hey man, don't shoot the messenger, lol.
Feb 04th 2017
I wish all news organization and articles shutdown their comments sectio...
Feb 04th 2017
their message boards were ass tho
Feb 05th 2017
not all of them
Feb 05th 2017
Exactly. For big name films yes the boards would be full of trolls
Feb 05th 2017
^^^^
Feb 05th 2017
this could be news if they try to do better. and they should try to do
Feb 05th 2017
i was on there everyday 10 years ago...it was a great platform
Feb 06th 2017
RE: i was on there everyday 10 years ago...it was a great platform
Feb 06th 2017
      The thing about IMDb is it wasn’t one big platform
Dec 12th 2017
they should come over here
Feb 07th 2017
cross-post
Feb 23rd 2017
RE: amazon shutting down imdb message boards
Dec 12th 2017
Dec 12th 2017
Dec 12th 2017
really gonna miss it
Dec 15th 2017

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 05:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "wtf?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 08:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The trolling/racism had gotten bad the last couple of years."
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't a big-time frequenter, but when I would peek around there, it usually wasn't hard to find something dicey. It didn't seem like they tried to keep it in check terribly effectively either. That's based on limited experience, of course... but put it this way, I know a lot of cinephiles celebrating the move, saying it was long overdue.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

howisya
39983 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 08:31 PM

3. "RE: The trolling/racism had gotten bad the last couple of years."
In response to Reply # 2

do these same cinephiles have a vested interest in driving conversation to their own social media accounts, blogs, or columns? from reading the petitions today, the rest of us cinephiles are pretty bummed about it, especially as we are big boys and girls capable of ignoring trolling. most of the boards i checked rarely if ever had any trolling or racism, but that's because i wasn't checking the boards of the latest movies and tv shows. amazon's nuclear option is absurd and such a tremendous waste. i can't understate what a loss this is. movie and tv fans who didn't make use of at least reading the boards were missing out.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 09:29 PM

4. "Hey man, don't shoot the messenger, lol."
In response to Reply # 3

>especially as we are
>big boys and girls

Like I said, I have no vested interest either way, as I rarely frequented them.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 10:46 PM

5. "I wish all news organization and articles shutdown their comments sectio..."
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing but trolls, racist, and bigots seem to post in comments sections.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 09:37 AM

6. "their message boards were ass tho"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 11:18 AM

7. "not all of them"
In response to Reply # 6

there could be a message board about just about anything so it really depended on what you were looking at. the ones that tended to be ass were the big name boards. those only made up a small fragment of the overall boards hosted on imdb.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 09:34 PM

10. "Exactly. For big name films yes the boards would be full of trolls"
In response to Reply # 7

but there would be good dialogue on smaller films or the boards for some actors.

It's a sentimental thing for me though - IMDB was the first place I participated in online discussion of film. My login for that site is an old hotmail address that I haven't even used since 2003 when gmail came out.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 07:59 PM

9. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

super ass.

There are some great user reviews tho.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 04:50 PM

8. "this could be news if they try to do better. and they should try to do "
In response to Reply # 0

better.

One way to improve would be to use real names for comments. I am not sure there is a great value to anonymous comments.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 10:59 AM

11. "i was on there everyday 10 years ago...it was a great platform"
In response to Reply # 0

to discuss movies but it turned into a shit show not too long after that. I'll miss what it used to be but it hasn't been that for a very long time.

For a while I split time between here and there...haven't been on there in ages though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 11:27 AM

12. "RE: i was on there everyday 10 years ago...it was a great platform"
In response to Reply # 11

>to discuss movies but it turned into a shit show not too long
>after that. I'll miss what it used to be but it hasn't been
>that for a very long time.

what was the turning point? where did you first notice it?

20+ years of communicating online has given me a high tolerance for tomfoolery. i'm probably more inclined to find trolling funny than be genuinely offended. most of the time it's so obvious and stupid that it's easy for me to recognize and ignore.

it really is/was a great platform. i know there have been times i've checked the boards for major new releases and hot directors and actors, but i was usually looking for something in particular or to get a general impression, not to participate in conversations and never to be a regular of any particular board. i would mostly notice it's busy and that a lot of the conversation was superficial or not particularly intelligent, but i chalked that up to the high volume and mass appeal. i noticed name calling, but i think it's been so long since i've checked one of these popular boards that the dawn of the (racist) troll era missed me, thankfully.

>For a while I split time between here and there...haven't been
>on there in ages though.

i posted sporadically from 2005 to 2010 and barely since. there was a time i would engage in discussions, but in recent years it's mostly been an indispensable resource for me in exploring old movies. that a board could only have a few posts and that they dated back over a decade wasn't a mark against it for me as long as there was quality discussion and information. i've gleaned so much from the imdb boards, i'm still in disbelief amazon is just going to delete them all in two weeks. to me it's not just a crackdown on free speech; it's like book burning.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 06:45 PM

16. "The thing about IMDb is it wasn’t one big platform"
In response to Reply # 12

People usually stuck to the movies they cared about. The ones I frequented kinda fell apart back in 2008 or so. We built a little community but it didn’t last long.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6506 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 01:44 PM

13. "they should come over here"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-07-17 01:45 PM by Hellyeah

without some new blood this place is like a closed jurassic park with the same few dinos howling at eachother

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 01:03 PM

14. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=301839&mesg_id=301839&page=

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 04:26 PM

15. "RE: amazon shutting down imdb message boards"
In response to Reply # 0

it really was a good outlet for voicing a critical opinion without needing to have one's own blog, podcast, or followers of any kind. i know this move was partially or at least ostensibly because of legacy software they didn't want to maintain, but i really do worry about media consolidation and the resulting ability to suppress divergent viewpoints by simply removing the platform.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 08:00 PM

17. "RE: amazon shutting down imdb message boards"
In response to Reply # 15

>i know this move was partially or at least
>ostensibly because of legacy software they didn't want to
>maintain, but i really do worry about media consolidation and
>the resulting ability to suppress divergent viewpoints by
>simply removing the platform.

Especially in an probably upcoming age without Net Neutrality.

But your post about the quality of the content on imdb on the other hand points to the lack of quality sources of opinions by movie fans.

You would think that someone or some company would have come up for a means of having some type of online community based around fan interest in movies, but if there's one out there it escapes me. Letterboxd is okay, but I don't think they allow for comments from other users. So you end up missing out on more elaborate discussions that used to be the case here and other places on the Web.

On another note, does anyone know of any video shows, online or cable, that feature film criticism? For some reason it's really hard for me to get into 'reading' comments on film, even here at times. Not so much because the writing isn't well done, but because discussion art through language is difficult, especially when that language is written.

I liked the TV shows because they would show clips of the film and the discussions were spontaneous and might touch on subjects that seemed tangential but had merit to the point of the discussion.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 08:23 PM

18. "RE: amazon shutting down imdb message boards"
In response to Reply # 17

>I liked the TV shows because they would show clips of the film
>and the discussions were spontaneous and might touch on
>subjects that seemed tangential but had merit to the point of
>the discussion.

i'm not able this year, but last year i watched a few episodes of the viceland guide to film. they are by design tributes to a particular director, but they do show clips to illustrate points about what makes their work distinctive and good.

i used to enjoy renting bonus discs to criterion collection films. some of the french ones had clips from cool french tv shows that combined interviews and pointed criticisms. french journalists would point out flaws to a person's face, and i really appreciated that respectful engagement. directors always seemed to have a defense of their work at the ready, making for good discussion. it's unfortunate if amazon doesn't think the productions of their studio and those they do business with stand up to scrutiny.

LES
Member since Oct 17th 2006
4533 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 07:08 PM

19. "really gonna miss it"
In response to Reply # 0

it did crap out near the end but it was great to have a central hub to pick peoples brains and vent about movies/shows in detail.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719492 Previous topic | Next topic