Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719228

Subject: "Tim Burton's track record since Sweeney Todd is traaaaaaash. " Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Mon Jan-23-17 11:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tim Burton's track record since Sweeney Todd is traaaaaaash. "
Tue Jan-24-17 12:00 AM by Basaglia

Watched Big Eyes the the other day and just shook my head at my TV, looking at Waltz make a damn fool of himself. That performance was a director saying "I don't care."

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children...awful.

Dark Shadows? One of the worst films of that year.

Alice in Wonderland was terrible, too.

SMH...he's burned all the capital he had with me.

Never saw that Franken dog shit, but it don't matter. He is in a rut.

Oh well.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Even Sweeney Todd was a shadow of what it should've been.
Jan 24th 2017
Who's living off past accomplishments the longest?
Jan 24th 2017
*sets self on fire at the altar of Prometheus*
Jan 24th 2017
Ey young I was waiting on this one and I almost typed this too
Jan 25th 2017
      right? like, I know I can't take them with me
Jan 31st 2017
Came in to say this
Jan 31st 2017
Big Fish was the last movie of his I really liked
Jan 24th 2017
Miss Peregrine is one of the worst fucking movies i have ever seen.
Jan 24th 2017
On the other hand, he's dating Eva Green so it's a win in life.
Jan 24th 2017
Dude's got his fucking type down
Jan 24th 2017
Dupe post.
Jan 24th 2017
This is a good read and sums up my feelings:
Jan 24th 2017
fwiw i loved frankeweenie, haven't seen any of the newer ones though
Jan 24th 2017
This is not a remotely controversial opinion...
Jan 25th 2017
My goal here was to enjoy a pile-on, not be met with resistence
Jan 25th 2017
      Again, most OKP "pile ons" require someone defending them.
Jan 25th 2017
           No true. People were posting all those "M. Night is Done" pieces here
Jan 25th 2017
                Chicken - Egg. I think they get posted because of your agenda.
Jan 25th 2017
                     chickens come first...and so did the M. Night pile-ons on this board
Jan 25th 2017
                          You asked a question, I answered.
Jan 26th 2017
                               Look, people call Deathproof everything but "BAD"
Jan 26th 2017
                                    That wasn't deserved?
Jan 26th 2017
                                    sure, it was "deserved"....my problem was with the vitriol and length
Jan 26th 2017
                                         RE: sure, it was "deserved"....my problem was with the vitriol and lengt...
Jan 26th 2017
                                              read the reviews
Jan 26th 2017
                                                   Links?
Jan 26th 2017
                                                        RE: Links?
Jan 26th 2017
                                                             I just wanted proof
Jan 26th 2017
                                                                  they're movies reviews, not federal court filings...easy to find
Jan 26th 2017
                                                                       Nigga you are relentless with your M. Night love
Jan 27th 2017
                                                                            i wasn't pissed at all.
Jan 27th 2017
                                                                                 in fairness to you...
Jan 27th 2017
                                    RE: Look, people call Deathproof everything but "BAD"
Feb 03rd 2017
you're being kind
Jan 31st 2017
He's been washed for a long time.
Feb 03rd 2017

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86639 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 01:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Even Sweeney Todd was a shadow of what it should've been."
In response to Reply # 0

One of the best musicals ever, an operetta, and your two leads can *barely* sing. It had a couple good moments, but... yeah. Disappointing.

Corpse Bride before that was fine, though I hardly remember any of it. And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was outright terrible.

Big Fish. 2003. The last movie he made that was really good.

Usually here is where I'd shit on Ridley Scott for living off of decades-old successes, but The Martian was pretty damn good (his best in over a decade at least), so I'll lay off him for a spell.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 01:41 AM

2. "Who's living off past accomplishments the longest?"
In response to Reply # 1

If you're talking live action, it's been almost 14 years for Burton. He might be the current leader.

I agree that Ridley would have been up there but The Martian resets the clock for him.

Coppola's started working more but he just does his own indie stuff so not sure that counts.

Oliver Stone is the closest competition I can think of.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "*sets self on fire at the altar of Prometheus*"
In response to Reply # 1

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Ey young I was waiting on this one and I almost typed this too"
In response to Reply # 3

straight up

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Tue Jan-31-17 02:05 PM

32. "right? like, I know I can't take them with me"
In response to Reply # 11

but I will die this death over and over again.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Jan-31-17 12:49 AM

30. "Came in to say this"
In response to Reply # 1

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 10:30 AM

4. "Big Fish was the last movie of his I really liked"
In response to Reply # 0

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6506 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:08 PM

5. "Miss Peregrine is one of the worst fucking movies i have ever seen."
In response to Reply # 0

but i liked big eyes and the first alice quite a bit.

either way i don't care. he'll probably never deliver another classic

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:17 PM

"On the other hand, he's dating Eva Green so it's a win in life."

I'd damn myself to a life of producing lackluster product if it meant landing her.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 04:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Dude's got his fucking type down"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-17 04:47 PM by BigReg

>I'd damn myself to a life of producing lackluster product if
>it meant landing her.

Pretty gothy looking brunettes.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:17 PM

6. "Dupe post."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-17 03:17 PM by SoulHonky

Eva got me double clicking shit.

----

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12488 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 04:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "This is a good read and sums up my feelings:"
In response to Reply # 0

I hate to accuse anyone in the arts of "not caring" but it certainly feels like he's been mailing it in for a while. Here are the paragraphs about him and not the movie, although the whole piece is good.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/why-batman-returns-deserves-its-cult-following/

"This may come as a shock to younger readers, but there was a time when the promise of a new Tim Burton movie was greeted, by critics and audiences alike, with excitement and feverish anticipation instead of eye-rolling and dread. I should know. As a child, Burton was one of my favorite filmmakers, if not my favorite.

Speaking of which, Burton would release The Nightmare Before Christmas — which he produced but didn’t direct — the very next year; for all its morbid charms, it marks the beginning of the filmmaker’s long, slow descent into fruitless self-parody. He’s done good work since then: Ed Wood is a masterpiece, Mars Attacks is a snarky, subversive delight, and I like Big Fish and Sweeney Todd more than most. But when a project looks Tim Burtony these days I almost invariably see it as a negative, particularly if Burton is actually involved."

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 09:35 PM

9. "fwiw i loved frankeweenie, haven't seen any of the newer ones though"
In response to Reply # 0

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 10:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "This is not a remotely controversial opinion..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think you're going to get many people who want to ride for late-period Burton...

----

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 02:01 PM

12. "My goal here was to enjoy a pile-on, not be met with resistence"
In response to Reply # 10

we agree. there's no defending how bad he's been in recent years.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 02:52 PM

13. "Again, most OKP "pile ons" require someone defending them."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Jan-25-17 02:52 PM by SoulHonky

Posts usually have 15 - 20 snarky comments and then die unless a) it's a movie people just saw and people come in to comment on their thoughts or b) someone defends the film, replies to all the comments, takes it from wood to gold.

----

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 04:08 PM

14. "No true. People were posting all those "M. Night is Done" pieces here"
In response to Reply # 13

and it was during tarantino's slump, which is why i became incredulous about the whole thing. one was "done" and the other was just "experimenting"

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 05:11 PM

15. "Chicken - Egg. I think they get posted because of your agenda."
In response to Reply # 14

Nobody really gives a shit about Zach LaVine, Devin Booker or even Andrew Wiggins like OKS does. And we only care because of the agendas on the board.
Agendas drive a majority of posts over there and I think it drove the Night posts here. It's one of the only agendas here outside of Marvel vs. DC.
Without you championing him, I think the Night hate would have died down like the Apatow hate.
---

The QT / Night comparison is kind of silly.

Tarantino was coming off of Jackie Brown and the Kill Bill movies and teamed up with his buddy to make a double-feature with jokey trailers as an homage to the grindhouse movies he loved. In interviews, he'd gush about the films from the past that inspired him.

Night was coming off of The Village and Lady in the Water and declared that The Happening was "the greatest b-movie ever made."

It's really not hard to see why one film was tossed off as a failed experiment and the other was portrayed as the death rattle of a career.

----

Basaglia
49463 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 11:07 PM

16. "chickens come first...and so did the M. Night pile-ons on this board"
In response to Reply # 15

I didn't give a damn about the guy, other than "yeah, I like his movies" until he started getting a level a criticism I found to be unwarranted and groupthinky. So I took it the other way and started calling him a genius just to piss people off. And it worked. Pointing out the glaring failures of other filmmakers has worked. I don't know why you've convinced yourself that I just came to PTP cysing Night Dogg out the clear blue, but that is not what happened.

And it's crazy that a decade later you STILL giving Deathproof the ol' Brett Favre "he's having fun out there" in the face of 4 big ass interceptions routine. It was BAD, so stop tryna contextualize it. Shit, Lady in the Water was bad and I ain't got anything else to offer other than it was BAD.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 12:33 AM

17. "You asked a question, I answered."
In response to Reply # 16

You didn't get why people called Death Proof an experiment while hating on Night's The Happening. I explained to you the obvious answer. Nowhere did I say the movie was good. Nowhere did I give him a pass. I'm one of the biggest Tarantino critics on this board.

When do you think the pile-ons started?

----

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:50 AM

18. "Look, people call Deathproof everything but "BAD""
In response to Reply # 17

that's what i wanna hear. Not "missed its mark"....not "too esoteric"...not "an homage"....just "BAD" because that's what it was.

the pile-ons started after lady in the water. that's when we kept hearing about his "ego"

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 11:30 AM

19. "That wasn't deserved?"
In response to Reply # 18

I mean, dude clashed with Disney over the script and, in response, hired someone to document the making of his soon-to-be-classic to shove it in their face but instead he fell on his. After which he moved on to making "the greatest b-movie ever" and delivered The Happening.

People go through slumps. People let success go to their heads. The now-beloved Bill Murray was a complete asshole for a good span of his life (and still refuses to bury some of the hatchets from that time.) I don't think it's unfair to say Night got a big head and proceeded to dump four poorly received, if not just objectively bad movies.

Some of the hate was extra but not sure it's reasonable to act like Night didn't have some hate coming. Although I would agree that Night was never the critics' darling like Burton or QT so people were quicker to pull the trigger on the hate. Also, Burton was saved from some of the hate because his worst stretch featured Johnny Depp, who bore the brunt of the blowback.

----

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 12:45 PM

20. "sure, it was "deserved"....my problem was with the vitriol and length"
In response to Reply # 19

it's STILL going on. some critics are legit salty split is so successful, and now all the haters are couching their criticisms in mental illness sensitivity, as if most of them don't have fight club on their fave 50 films. look at affleck's accountant. did any of these people whining about how night dogg portrays DID bitch and moan about how the accountant portrays autism? did ANYONE whine about some austisic kid growing up to be a damned stone cold killer? no, they didn't. that kinda stuff is so wack to me. i'm predicting this will be the new thing with night dogg. SOME GROUP will be "triggered" by whatever he does next and hater critics, who just can't let go, gonna run with the story like they have with the DID stuff.

it became trendy to hate on him. not like michael bay trendy either. this was real blind hatred. then people started going back and saying signs was trash and that sixth sense was overrated...all of that.

The Analyst
4621 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 03:13 PM

21. "RE: sure, it was "deserved"....my problem was with the vitriol and lengt..."
In response to Reply # 20

>some critics are legit salty split is so
>successful

Is this true or is this just some shit you're making up tho?

----

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 04:05 PM

22. "read the reviews"
In response to Reply # 21

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 05:37 PM

23. "Links?"
In response to Reply # 22

Cause all I see are reviews saying it's a return to form

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 07:26 PM

24. "RE: Links?"
In response to Reply # 23

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/movie-review-split-m-night-shyamalan.html

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/split/MovieTimes?oid=24987623

http://observer.com/2017/01/split-review-m-night-shyamalan-twist-ending/

I doubt rex reed even saw the movie the way that shit reads.

there are more. just got to RT if you actually care. i shouldn't have to do it for you.

and notice all the negative reviews come AFTER the influx of overwhelming positive review and BO success. it's CLEAR these people have a fucking axe to grind. he ain't got one positive review since the film's opening weekend. why is that?

it ain't just me, dogg.

bwood
8597 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:19 PM

25. "I just wanted proof"
In response to Reply # 24

No need to get fucking snippy with me nigga. You making claims I couldn't see, so all I asked for were receipts. No need for the fucking attitude.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:32 PM

26. "they're movies reviews, not federal court filings...easy to find"
In response to Reply # 25

"i shouldn't have to do it for you"

bwood
8597 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 09:15 AM

27. "Nigga you are relentless with your M. Night love"
In response to Reply # 26

So much that you made another post to bash a different director to lift your boy up. Fine, I could give a shit either way. But when you start making accusations that I couldn't find I ask you for proof and you get an attitude. If your gonna be relentless like that you gotta back up what you say and not get pissed. Shit you should be chomping at the bit to show niggas are at M. Night's head when asked.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 09:22 AM

28. "i wasn't pissed at all. "
In response to Reply # 27

juat said you wanted links to something easy to find.

The Analyst
4621 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 01:22 PM

29. "in fairness to you..."
In response to Reply # 28

that rex reed one is some bullshit and really does read like he's got an agenda.

and this coming from a dude (me) who honestly doesn't give a shit about m. night one way or the other

----

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 03:55 PM

34. "RE: Look, people call Deathproof everything but "BAD""
In response to Reply # 18

>
>that's what i wanna hear. Not "missed its mark"....not "too
>esoteric"...not "an homage"....just "BAD" because that's what
>it was.
>
>the pile-ons started after lady in the water. that's when we
>kept hearing about his "ego"

that's because he cast himself as such an important figure/writer that he would change the world

he did it to himself ding dong lol

I mean damn..who does that?

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Jan-31-17 01:15 PM

31. "you're being kind"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't liked a Tim Burton film since Mars Attacks. And even that one took me two viewings to appreciate. Previously I had liked just about all his films, even and especially Batman Returns.

I didn't like Big Fish (though I know a lot of people did), and everything that I've seen since that one has been just plain bad. It's especially disappointing because each new project SEEMS like it would be good...but it's like I don't want Tim Burton to direct Alice's Adventures in Wonderland--I want the 90s Tim Burton to direct it. Same with Willy Wonka.

I can't say if his version of Sweeny Todd was good or not, because in general I don't find the story of Sweeny Todd enjoyable to watch.

I can't think of another director that made such an abrupt shift in the quality of his films. Some had a misstep here or there, but Burton just went from great director to bad director almost as soon as the 90s became the 2000s.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43715 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 12:17 PM

33. "He's been washed for a long time."
In response to Reply # 0

That said, Ed Wood is one of my fav movies so I have a soft spot for him but I haven't seen anything I've loved from him since Big Fish.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719228 Previous topic | Next topic