Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #718581

Subject: "Frank Herbert's Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 20??)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8019 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 03:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Frank Herbert's Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 20??)"

Tha Gawd is coming through to make a GOOD adaptation of one of the best sci-fi stories ever.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/21/denis-villeneuve-may-direct-dune-after-blade-runner-2049

Denis Villeneuve May Direct DUNE After BLADE RUNNER 2049
This is not a drill, people.

By Scott Wampler Dec. 21, 2016

We've known for some time that Legendary was keen to get a new adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune off the ground, and recently the word 'round the campfire was that they were very close to announcing the name of the project's director.

While that has yet to happen officially, a new report over at Variety may have done the job for them: according to them, the job's been offered to Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, the upcoming Blade Runner 2049). Please take a moment to change your pants.

For those keeping score at home, this deal would have Villeneuve moving on to Dune immediately after wrapping up work (and what I suspect will be a lengthy, worldwide press junket blitzkrieg) on October's Blade Runner sequel.

For those of you unfamiliar with the source novel (or David Lynch's highly debatable 1984 adaptation of the same), here's a plot synopsis from Variety:

Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides, whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

No further updates at this time, but we'll keep you informed as the situation develops. Fingers crossed.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's like this guy is directly tapping into my own tastes
Dec 21st 2016
Yeah, that would be perfect. A movie wouldn't do it justice
Dec 22nd 2016
I never caught the sci-fi channel mini-series
Feb 03rd 2017
Confirmed!!! My nigga Denis Villeneuve is directing!!!
Feb 01st 2017
my favorite sf book of all time (well, trilogy / quadrilogy, whatever).
Feb 08th 2017
Eric Roth to write.
Apr 05th 2017
Six for six?
Oct 06th 2017
The yung prodigy Timothee Chalamet may star!
Jul 16th 2018
Look at this fucking cast b.
Jan 29th 2019
Leto though?
Jan 29th 2019
      RE: Leto though?
Jan 29th 2019
           Lol my bad 'Duke Leto Atreides' is a character in the book
Jan 30th 2019
                Same unless they age him up in makeup
Jan 30th 2019
                Yeah, same here
Jan 30th 2019
                     I've been 100% on board with everything I've heard so far
Jan 30th 2019
                lol.... had me all backing out of this for a second.
Jan 30th 2019
Javier Bardem to play Stilgar
Feb 01st 2019
Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa join the cast
Feb 14th 2019
Just watched the original Dune for the first time last night.
May 05th 2019
Up because I can only watch Arrival but so many times.
Feb 25th 2020
cant wait for this trailer to drop.
Feb 27th 2020
new promo stills released
Apr 18th 2020
Up just in case there is actually a trailer....
Sep 09th 2020
trailer:
Sep 09th 2020
fucking hell. praise Denis!
Sep 09th 2020
Just wow.
Sep 09th 2020
KULL WAHAD!
Sep 09th 2020
Sweet Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Das what I'm talking about!!!!!
Sep 09th 2020
Fuck yeah let's go!
Sep 10th 2020
I thought it looked pretty bad
Sep 10th 2020
      I mean, there was a book that covered all this
Sep 10th 2020
      How do y’all retain all that sh’t
Sep 11th 2020
           It is by the Juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed
Sep 14th 2020
Shai-Hulud
Sep 11th 2020
This might be the one that gets me back in a theater
Sep 09th 2020

will_5198
Charter member
60816 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 06:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's like this guy is directly tapping into my own tastes"
In response to Reply # 0

one of my favorite directors picking my favorite genres and projects. although I've always felt Dune should be a HBO series.

--------

calminvasion
Charter member
12298 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yeah, that would be perfect. A movie wouldn't do it justice"
In response to Reply # 1

>. although I've always felt Dune should be a HBO
>series.

The first attempt certainly didn't

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
3792 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I never caught the sci-fi channel mini-series"
In response to Reply # 1

think that was early 2000s. The David Lynch movie really wasn't too good but I'd maybe revisit it again. Look forward to see how this new one turns out tho.

bwood
8019 posts
Wed Feb-01-17 09:54 AM

3. "Confirmed!!! My nigga Denis Villeneuve is directing!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuve-confirmed-direct-dune-20170201/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

SHARES
FacebookTwitter
In December, word emerged that Denis Villeneuve was in early talks to direct “Dune,” and perhaps you were worried that something was going to gum up the works and prevent the filmmaker from tackling his dream sci-fi project. Well, you can put those fears to rest.

Brain Herbert, the son of the late author Frank Herbert, has revealed on Twitter on that Villeneuve is officially signed up to helm “Dune.” Intriguingly, Herbert describes it as a “Dune series film project” which seems to suggest there will be more than one installment, which in this world of franchises, and the sprawling nature of the source material, seems to make sense. But we’ll have to wait to find out more, and see what Villeneuve’s involvement will be beyond the first film.

Presuming this is Villeneuve’s next effort, it looks like he’ll be serving up a trilogy of sci-fi films which also includes “Arrival” and the forthcoming “Blade Runner 2049,” which is just fine by us. There’s still lots of questions to be answered — who is writing the script? who will play Paul Atreides? can Sting and Patrick Stewart still be in it? — but we can’t wait to find out what’s coming in Villeneuve’s “Dune

poetx
Charter member
58177 posts
Wed Feb-08-17 09:14 PM

5. "my favorite sf book of all time (well, trilogy / quadrilogy, whatever). "
In response to Reply # 0

and i've watched every film adaptation, from the original (w/ sting as feyd rautha) ... to the sci fi (before the y's) version.

"it is by will alone i set my mind in motion" <-- i used that in a rhyme before.

*grabs popcorn*

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

bwood
8019 posts
Wed Apr-05-17 02:09 PM

6. "Eric Roth to write."
In response to Reply # 0

Denis Villeneuve’s DUNE To Be Written By MUNICH’s Eric Roth

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/05/denis-villeneuves-dune-to-be-written-by-munichs-eric-roth

Dude's got a lot of work ahead of him.

By Scott Wampler Apr. 05, 2017

Per the folks over at Variety, Eric Roth (Munich, Forrest Gump) has been hired to write the screenplay for Denis Villeneuve's Dune, based on the novel of the same name from Frank Herbert. If you've ever read Dune (or seen Hollywood's previous attempt to adapt it to film), you know that Roth has quite the job ahead of him.

For those not in the know, Herbert's novel is a complicated sci-fi epic following...

"...Paul Atreides, whose family assumes control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, jurisdiction over Arrakis is contested among competing noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature, as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s reign."

Roth's probably best known for his work on Forrest Gump, but in addition to Munich, he's also knocked out scripts for The Insider, The Horse Whisperer, and The Postman. Denis Villeneuve, as you know, is the stone-cold badass who directed such films as last year's Oscar-nominated Arrival, Prisoners, Enemy and Sicario.

Will these two make magic together? Dune's not an easily-adapted property, but we're certainly crossing our fingers for them. Villeneuve's next risky sci-fi epic, Blade Runner 2049, arrives in October. Dune currently has no official release date, which we're choosing to take as a sign that all involved are willing to give Roth and Villeneuve the time they need to make this thing sing.

Stay tuned for more as it becomes available.

bwood
8019 posts
Fri Oct-06-17 10:23 AM

7. "Six for six?"
In response to Reply # 0

I really hope this doesn't fuck up Denis' run b. I need him to keep winning.

bwood
8019 posts
Mon Jul-16-18 04:48 PM

8. "The yung prodigy Timothee Chalamet may star!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/timothee-chalamet-legendary-denis-villeneuve-dune-1202824369/

bwood
8019 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 06:55 PM

9. "Look at this fucking cast b."
In response to Reply # 0

You niggas don't deserve this shit.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-isaac-dune-reboot-1203109822/

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52231 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 10:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Leto though?"
In response to Reply # 9

This guy seems 10 yrs too young.

---
Love,
Nopayne

bwood
8019 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:36 PM

11. "RE: Leto though?"
In response to Reply # 10

Jared Leto is not in this.

Nopayne
52231 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 12:45 AM

12. "Lol my bad 'Duke Leto Atreides' is a character in the book"
In response to Reply # 11

He's 50 years old in the story so it's hard for me to picture this casting compared to the others.

---
Love,
Nopayne

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
4777 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 03:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Same unless they age him up in makeup"
In response to Reply # 12

Or they make the starts with a much younger Paul. I'm still iffy on this as much as I loved Blade Runner, Dune is such a difficult book to tackle. I can just hope they make dope ass stillsuits and amazeball sandworms.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
7498 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 07:43 PM

15. "Yeah, same here"
In response to Reply # 13

Blade Runner 2049 is in my top 10 Scifi movies so I really like it alot. And Arrival is probably up there too if I sat and thought about it. So, Villenueve is probably the best director out there to tackle this movie.

While I saw Dune when I was really young and started to read the book when I was in high school, it became clear that there are A LOT of moving parts and intricacies to the plot.

It'll take a lot of whittling and rewrites to get the story down into something halfway workable for a movie. (although I'm sure if this movie does well, there'll be sequels setup.)

The cast looks interesting.

Issac is a really good actor, and I hope this role allows him to really display his range.

I'm not too excited about Chammalet. But that's because I couldn't stand his character in the Oscar movie from last year. But he seems to be a good actor. I'm just not won over to his camp yet. I'm sure he'll be fine tho.

I'm rooting for the project to be a success, especially after Blade Runner 2049 not connecting with people, but I'm keeping my powder dry until the teaser comes out.

Nopayne
52231 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 08:22 PM

16. "I've been 100% on board with everything I've heard so far"
In response to Reply # 15

I'm just working my way through the Dune series now so a lot of this is still fresh in my mind. Denis has been mostly killing it imo and I trust his vision.

I heard a rumor that the girl from Spiderman is playing Channi and that's another great pick. I was worried that they were going to fuck up the look of the Fremen.

---
Love,
Nopayne

PG
Charter member
42257 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 05:16 PM

14. "lol.... had me all backing out of this for a second."
In response to Reply # 12

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1571 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 06:04 PM

17. "Javier Bardem to play Stilgar"
In response to Reply # 0

This cast is awesome.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

bwood
8019 posts
Thu Feb-14-19 07:09 PM

18. "Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa join the cast"
In response to Reply # 0

Tomorrow's entertainment headline will be that every Hollywood and Broadway actor joins the cast

Castro
Charter member
48870 posts
Sun May-05-19 06:51 PM

19. "Just watched the original Dune for the first time last night."
In response to Reply # 0

So much about the original was ahead of its time, and squarely in step with the future aesthetic as its propagated now. Of course I am looking forward to Villaneuve providing a more diverse cast, but I hope that he retains the repugnant appearance of Baron Harkonnen.

------------------
One Hundred.

Castro
Charter member
48870 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 11:37 PM

20. "Up because I can only watch Arrival but so many times."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
10645 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "cant wait for this trailer to drop."
In response to Reply # 0

------

will_5198
Charter member
60816 posts
Sat Apr-18-20 02:48 PM

22. "new promo stills released"
In response to Reply # 0

my lord and savior Denis has delivered once again

can't wait

--------

Castro
Charter member
48870 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 08:11 AM

23. "Up just in case there is actually a trailer...."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
10645 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 11:51 AM

24. "trailer:"
In response to Reply # 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4&feature=emb_title

------

will_5198
Charter member
60816 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 05:29 PM

26. "fucking hell. praise Denis!"
In response to Reply # 24

this can't be as good as I hope it is. I'm gonna relax and not watch anything else.

--------

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
7498 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 06:03 PM

27. "Just wow."

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
26129 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 06:35 PM

28. "KULL WAHAD!"

<----- Long Live The King

Castro
Charter member
48870 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 08:15 PM

29. "Sweet Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Das what I'm talking about!!!!!"

------------------
One Hundred.

Nopayne
52231 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 12:20 AM

30. "Fuck yeah let's go!"

Man, they must have spent a ton on this thing.

---
Love,
Nopayne

handle
Charter member
16735 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 12:34 PM

31. "I thought it looked pretty bad"

Random thoughts:

The Duke's men in formation and the Sardaukar in formation look like anyone of a dozen sci-films. Duke's men seemed like they were in Phantom Menace - the Emperor's seems like they were in The Last Jedi.

Timothy Chamliet doesn't look like Paul to me - I never imagined Paul with an emo haircut.

The shield fighting between Paul and Gurney looked stupid - it was supposed to be about finesse - and they are WILDLY battling.

Duncan Idaho should look like Duncan Man-At-Arms from he Man and The Masters of the universe - not Aquaman.

Paul doesn't sense a crusade - he senses a jihad - did they change that for 9/11??

Zendaya doesn't look like Channi to me - she's waterfat and baby fat. I expect her to be more of a tomboy type.

Javier Bardem doesn't seem like Stilgar in my mind.I always envision a T.E. lawrence/Peter O'toole type.

Helen's voice isn't stern enough. And what's with the fat macrame face covering?

I did not care for the Pink Floyd cover. (Wonder Woman has them beat on a using a cover.)

That part where Paul and Jamis are fighting and Paul hold the knife up to kill Jamis seemed real shaky - I don't buy Timmy having the training or strenght that Paul has at that point.

Oscar Issacs seems 10 years too young to play the Duke to me.

I saw no evidence of who they'll manage the inner dialog that makes the book what the book is.

The recital of the Litany Against Fear seems like the wrong reading of it too.

The sound of the worm was stupid - it was an "Elevator Going Up" keyboard sound, then the sound of someone exhaling.

Wiki says the movie will only cover the first half of the novel??????????????????? So how does it end? he drinks the Water of Life and it says "To be Continued...???"

Oh, I'm going to watch it.

------------
My prayers have been answered!

Gone
My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

will_5198
Charter member
60816 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 08:58 PM

32. "I mean, there was a book that covered all this"
In response to Reply # 31

where we all got to use our imaginations for these characters, settings and events

a movie can only tell one of those versions

--------

calminvasion
Charter member
12298 posts
Fri Sep-11-20 09:49 PM

34. "How do y’all retain all that sh’t"
In response to Reply # 31

I read the book a few years ago, loved it. But I only retain vague general themes

Good thing too, cuz I loved that trailer

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
26129 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 07:32 PM

35. "It is by the Juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed"
In response to Reply # 34

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

<----- Long Live The King

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
4777 posts
Fri Sep-11-20 01:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "Shai-Hulud"
In response to Reply # 23

This looks huff, fuck what the nay-sayers are doing. As a hardcore Dune head since the age of 10, I'm all in.

I'm loving the interpretations of everything. Making the Ornithopter move like a dragonfly was a nice touch.

I'm all the way in for this.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2834 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 03:18 PM

25. "This might be the one that gets me back in a theater"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #718581 Previous topic | Next topic