Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #717805

Subject: "No TBS "Search Party" Post (2016)?!?!" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 12:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"No TBS "Search Party" Post (2016)?!?!"

I thought I was done with shows about White Girls in Brooklyn but the mystery format is definitely a different take.

And I guess I still love Maybe Funke.

It was fun to Binge during the Holiday. Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.tbs.com/shows/search-party.html

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i half watched the first 2 eps....
Nov 28th 2016
Watched the first 2
Nov 28th 2016
I hate Girls so much I get angry when the trailer plays before
Nov 29th 2016
I hate Girls so much I get angry when the trailer plays before
Nov 29th 2016
I got to the last episode ( Slight Spoilers)
Dec 02nd 2016
RE: I got to the last episode ( Slight Spoilers)
Dec 06th 2016
this show is so damn good
Dec 05th 2016
The air-head actress girl and shallow gay friend are likeable in a
Dec 05th 2016
Finally caught up on this and Woah!
Dec 27th 2017
Second Season was super dope.
Jan 19th 2018
I been trynna tell people about this show for a minute
Jan 19th 2018
This is currently on HBOMax
Jan 30th 2021
Tapped out 3 eps into Season 4
Jan 30th 2021
You made the right call.
Feb 02nd 2021
I've never seen a show go so far off the rails ever.
Feb 01st 2022
Here's a link for an interview with the show runners
Feb 01st 2022
im pretty sure the idea was...
Feb 23rd 2022
      By the end, I gave into it and just rolled with it.
Feb 25th 2022

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i half watched the first 2 eps...."
In response to Reply # 0

...looked funny, but I have to rewatch when I have time to focus....

the "sex" scene in the first ep tripped me out

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 07:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Watched the first 2"
In response to Reply # 0

As someone who despise HBO's Girls, I was ready to drop it but by the end of 2nd episode I realized it was a completely different animal. I'll stick with it a little longer. I like it so far.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Tue Nov-29-16 12:31 PM

3. "I hate Girls so much I get angry when the trailer plays before"
In response to Reply # 2

Insecure.

But this show is different.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Tue Nov-29-16 12:31 PM

4. "I hate Girls so much I get angry when the trailer plays before"
In response to Reply # 2

Insecure.

But this show is different.

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Fri Dec-02-16 05:46 PM

5. "I got to the last episode ( Slight Spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

It's kinda funny that it ended almost the same way Insecure did. What does it say about me that I wanted Andrew to give the crazy neighbor the bidness? LOL at that last scene. I wonder what a second season will be like.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 01:04 AM

8. "RE: I got to the last episode ( Slight Spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 5

The last episode went too dark. I guess it really brought out just how shallow and narcissistic these people are, but not worth it to me.

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 01:34 PM

6. "this show is so damn good"
In response to Reply # 0

i have absolutely no idea how TBS pulled this off.

perfectly cast, perfectly written, perfectly filmed.

i love how it subverts a lot of preconceived notions about yet another Brooklyn hipster show. and characters that feel eye-rollingly one-dimensional in the pilot become fully fleshed out people by the end of the season.

can't recommend it highly enough.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Mon Dec-05-16 03:38 PM

7. "The air-head actress girl and shallow gay friend are likeable in a "
In response to Reply # 6

way that those two types of characters are incapable of on Girls.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Dec-27-17 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Finally caught up on this and Woah!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-27-17 12:57 PM by BigReg

You guys were right; I watched the first few episodes just to clown/laugh at the pretentious characters but over time they become three dimensional and endearing (while still funny to laugh at)

First season's ending closed one of the best plot arcs I have seen on television as far as the sudden genre switch; I loved what they pulled off.

Second season couldn't pull off a similar surprise but it was as good, hopefully it gets renewed for a third.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 10:43 AM

10. "Second Season was super dope. "
In response to Reply # 0

I think slightly better than the first season.

Much slept on show.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I been trynna tell people about this show for a minute"
In response to Reply # 0

Its only me and my boy who watch this shit.

These people are so entertaining.

I love watching them flounder and try to figure it out.

It really is a fantastic show.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Sat Jan-30-21 06:31 PM

12. "This is currently on HBOMax"
In response to Reply # 0

And it appears an additional third and fourth season were completed after this was booted from Turner.

I started this show fresh this morning as I avoided it during its initial Turner run. I'm up to the third season now. Pretty cool how entertaining the show is given how unredeaming the main characters are for the most part.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Sat Jan-30-21 07:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Tapped out 3 eps into Season 4"
In response to Reply # 0

First season is amazing.

Second had things I liked about it. Third season was a chore and I found the fourth to be unwatchable.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Feb-02-21 01:49 PM

14. "You made the right call."
In response to Reply # 13

The last two seasons got way too campy and trashy for their own good. I mainly finished the show to get a sense of resolution. There were about three or four times when I was binging during the last two seasons that I had to pause the show because the premises got too outlandish.

Pretty wild that the show got so much worse when it moved to HBOMax.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Tue Feb-01-22 01:18 PM

15. "I've never seen a show go so far off the rails ever. "
In response to Reply # 0

Like I don't even know what the show is any more. I feel like its an experiment to see how long will people keep watching a show that makes no sense in the world. Definitely more a social experiment than a show.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Feb-01-22 01:34 PM

16. "Here's a link for an interview with the show runners"
In response to Reply # 15

I'm assuming you binged to whole season as the interview apparently discusses the show in full. I didn't watch a single second of this last season because of how disgusted I was while binging the third and fourth seasons.

I stopped reading the interview when there was mention of a zombie apocalypse as that seemed way too silly for me to want to process in my head.

Here's the link in case you are interested: https://www.polygon.com/22882372/search-party-finale-spoilers

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35254 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 11:58 PM

17. "im pretty sure the idea was..."
In response to Reply # 15

that no matter how insane and dangerous their world got, and no matter how much self-destruction they caused, they were still as self-absorbed and delusional on the last episode as they were on the first

im also pretty sure they were making fun of the general trend in heavily serialized television that each season has to get crazier and crazier to keep its momentum. the "Sons of Anarchy Effect" if you will

i thought it was hilarious all the way thru, and i loved that each season was entirely different

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 08:19 AM

18. "By the end, I gave into it and just rolled with it. "
In response to Reply # 17

I wasn't digging it when I couldn't tell whether they were trying to be serious or not (which happened a lot with the Misery season) but towards the end of this finale season it was clear they were going all-in bananas and that made it easier to enjoy.

Absolutely one of the wildest rides of any series.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #717805 Previous topic | Next topic