Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #717543

Subject: "American Honey (Arnold, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Nov-16-16 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"American Honey (Arnold, 2016)"

Surprised I couldn't find a post about this, as I'm fairly certain Andrea Arnold's previous movies have been discussed here. Anyway, saw this a few weeks ago and it's stayed with me more than I expected. This is her first film shot in America and she apparently decided to go with a semi-gonzo outlook, using many non-professional actors (insert joke about Shia LaBeouf here) and filming them as though the camera is part of a documentary crew embedded with the characters.

The movie follows a young girl (Sasha Lane) who's recruited by Shia's character to join a rag-tag team of marginals kids, who sell magazine subscriptions across America, while travelling in a van and sleeping in cheap motels. Nothing much really happens in the movie, and it is not short at 163mins but I thought this reflected the kids' lifestyle well. The acting definitely feels as reality-based as you'd expect from such a cast, and you can tell how gifted Arnold is at drawing out good work from them. Shia does a focused, simmering performance as Jake, and Lane's eyes are a wonder of expression, but the real star is Riley Keough as their hyper-capitalist leader Krystal.

Gorgeously shot by Robbie Ryan (who also put in great work in Slow West earlier this year), who makes great use of natural light. The soundtrack was perfectly picked as well, and is central to many of the scenes in the van in a very organic way.

I thought this movie seemed to capture what life can be on these kids' side of America, right at the edge of the mainstream. It's not devoid of flaws and I would've been interested by the racial and social aspects being explored more, but the movie gives you enough to chew on.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Shit was alright.
Nov 16th 2016
i think that was the point lol.
Mar 16th 2017
      *yawns*
Mar 16th 2017
i really enjoyed it. longer than it needed to be though
Mar 16th 2017
thanks.
Mar 16th 2017

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Nov-16-16 01:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Shit was alright."
In response to Reply # 0

It was a long road trip to nowhere.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i think that was the point lol."
In response to Reply # 1

>It was a long road trip to nowhere.

i thought it was brilliant

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 06:19 PM

4. "*yawns*"
In response to Reply # 3

To each their own. Shit was nothing to me.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 04:07 PM

2. "i really enjoyed it. longer than it needed to be though"
In response to Reply # 0

slightly larry clarkish (but not as overtly pervy) in the doc feel, and a window into their little world. i thought everyone was good. loved how it looked and sounded. plus I'm a fan of surrogate family themes.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 08:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "thanks. "
In response to Reply # 0

big fan of Fish Tank.

--------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #717543 Previous topic | Next topic