Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714724

Subject: "Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8609 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016)"
Tue Aug-09-16 11:52 AM by bwood

My nigga Denis is back bitches!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwqSi_ToNPs

Should've kept the OG title The Story of Your Life though.

Disgusting that the Oscars are gonna snub him again.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
can't wait. he gets better with every film.
Aug 10th 2016
Full trailer
Aug 16th 2016
First reviews out of Venice are glowing!
Sep 01st 2016
Just saw this!!!
Nov 01st 2016
dope. your ranking of Villeneuve's films?
Nov 02nd 2016
      His last four:
Nov 11th 2016
           I've rewatched Sicario probably a half-dozen times now
Nov 11th 2016
I re-read the short story and am dying to find out how they've managed.....
Nov 02nd 2016
Really good. Thoughtful. Well-structured.
Nov 11th 2016
Dug the graffiti artist aliens but dozed off at some point
Nov 11th 2016
Easily the best film I've seen all year
Nov 11th 2016
does any one in here wanna talk about the narrative
Nov 12th 2016
I was confused, too
Nov 13th 2016
      that's clearer
Nov 13th 2016
           RE: that's clearer
Nov 14th 2016
                RE: that's clearer
Nov 14th 2016
what a fantastic movie, give Adams her Oscar right now
Nov 13th 2016
Saw it last night
Nov 14th 2016
The aliens didn't show anything to her other than the language
Nov 14th 2016
      indeed. that was their inherent altriusm
Nov 16th 2016
Very well made film; didn't love the story
Nov 14th 2016
probably my fav this year
Nov 16th 2016
beautiful film. Villeneuve stays undefeated.
Nov 17th 2016
Very disappointing payoff.
Nov 18th 2016
just... UTTERLY FANTASTIC
Nov 24th 2016
FINALLY!!!! What a beautiful adaptation.
Dec 10th 2016
Underwhelmed. Visually beautiful but that's about it
Dec 11th 2016
I'll get in this line
Dec 11th 2016
I'm finally catching up on Denis Villeneuve, period, and...
Dec 12th 2016
I was really disappointed by Young's
Dec 13th 2016
RE: I was really disappointed by Young's
Dec 14th 2016
that flat look is standard for Sci-Fi drama.
Dec 16th 2016
Was interesting
Dec 24th 2016
I really enjoyed it.
Feb 07th 2017
It shouldn't have started with the future visions
Feb 13th 2017
If they did that then it would have been clear they were future visions
Feb 27th 2017
      ^^^^^
Feb 27th 2017
Beautiful...bravo
Mar 09th 2017
I am an idiot. On rewatch this movie might be in my top 5 sci-fi.
Jan 04th 2022
This resonates with me more and more.
Jan 26th 2023
RE: This resonates with me more and more.
Jan 31st 2023

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 01:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "can't wait. he gets better with every film."
In response to Reply # 0

--------

bwood
8609 posts
Tue Aug-16-16 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Full trailer "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g

bwood
8609 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 09:21 AM

3. "First reviews out of Venice are glowing!"
In response to Reply # 0

My nigga Denis did it again!

bwood
8609 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 04:21 PM

4. "Just saw this!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

So I just saw this and it's really, really good. I need to see it again cause it's so heady, I wasn't able to fully wrap my mind around everything. As with Denis Villeneuve's other films I'm afraid this will get looked over as well. But cotdamn if this shit wasn't one of the best films I've seen this year.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Wed Nov-02-16 12:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "dope. your ranking of Villeneuve's films?"
In response to Reply # 4

--------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Fri Nov-11-16 01:13 AM

7. "His last four:"
In response to Reply # 5

1. Sicario
2. Arrival
3. Enemy
4. Prisoners

That's for me, anyhow.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Fri Nov-11-16 01:47 AM

9. "I've rewatched Sicario probably a half-dozen times now"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Nov-11-16 01:47 AM by will_5198

filmmaking as pure entertainment. and that's not to be flippant about any deeper essays to be written about it, but at a basic level the cinematography, acting, editing, music and dialogue are all candy to me.

Blunt acted her ass off. and Brolin plays one of the best sideways/anti-hero characters ever. that smirk in the mirror when Alejandro is doing his backseat torture routine? gets me every time.

--------

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Wed Nov-02-16 08:24 AM

6. "I re-read the short story and am dying to find out how they've managed....."
In response to Reply # 0

...to stretch out such a complex yet brilliantly concise idea into a feature length film.

Can't wait.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Fri Nov-11-16 01:15 AM

8. "Really good. Thoughtful. Well-structured."
In response to Reply # 0

Beautifully shot by Bradford Young, obviously. Amy Adams may get some Oscar love here-- I wouldn't be mad. Loved the depictions of alien life/attempts at alien communication-- unlike most of what we usually see in these flicks.

Denis stays rollin', man. Doesn't really top Sicario for me, but that script was so fucking aces. This is really strong too.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Nov-11-16 10:50 AM

10. "Dug the graffiti artist aliens but dozed off at some point "
In response to Reply # 0

Started gettin some Interstellar vibes when I woke up but couldn't put it altogether

I'll give it another shot but those daughter scenes might've messed up the pacing too much for me

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Fri Nov-11-16 04:35 PM

11. "Easily the best film I've seen all year"
In response to Reply # 0

Complete mindfuck and this is with me already having read the source material. I was still blown away.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Nov-12-16 01:15 AM

12. "does any one in here wanna talk about the narrative"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Nov-12-16 01:34 AM by astralblak

???

i mean the pacing and look was great

but the story really doesn't work IMO, and the intent of the aliens was really strange, not to add i hated their look/design

EDIT: read up on the story it's based off of... anyone wanna break down the theory of it. i'm still a bit confused

yet, it is an original approach to sci-fi story telling

Enemy is still his best flick IMO

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Sun Nov-13-16 09:15 AM

13. "I was confused, too "
In response to Reply # 12
Sun Nov-13-16 09:36 AM by ternary_star

did some reading and realize the main question of the film is, if you could foresee a great trauma in your life, would you negate it, if that also meant that you would never experience the greatest love and joy in your life (and, secondarily, would we even have the ability to change our actions in this world of circular/parallel time, or is our fate pre-determined?)

I know this is obvious to most, but I was confused about the order of events at first, so I was missing a lot of that message.

I think most of the logic of the movie checks out. what specifically was bugging you?

the only thing that really bugs me is how similar this played out to Contact. it's almost beat-for-beat the same.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Nov-13-16 12:41 PM

14. "that's clearer"
In response to Reply # 13

it still makes me wonder what the Aliens gained from this...

they said in 3 thousands years the humans would help them, but was Amy Adams character the only human able to see/understand them, or was that field of language and perception of time opened up to every one?

it's also an odd exploration of free will that is as equally convoluted as it is simple?

even with that little nagging it was so well paced, and the tension was tight, and the tone of the film so clear. DV really is near the top of the directors class IMO, right now

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Mon Nov-14-16 08:12 AM

16. "RE: that's clearer"
In response to Reply # 14

>it still makes me wonder what the Aliens gained from this...
>
>
>they said in 3 thousands years the humans would help them, but
>was Amy Adams character the only human able to see/understand
>them, or was that field of language and perception of time
>opened up to every one?

They were, I think, intentionally vague about what help the aliens would need (could be natural resources unique to earth, could be the thought process of a species that thinks about time linearly...). But teaching us their language and ability to hop around time will make it much easier to communicate (and maybe help ensure that we haven't exterminated ourselves through nuclear war) when they return in 3000 years.

humans can only "time travel" when they've fully understood the heptapod language... that is, when they've started to dream in it and are fully immersed in it. Adams was obviously the most well-versed but I get the feeling that her knowledge was even further advanced when she boarded the ship and could actually touch the ink.

and it looks like she becomes the leading expert on the language in the near future but obviously not everyone gets the time-hopping ability because her husband is surprised by the daughter getting sick.

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Mon Nov-14-16 08:51 AM

17. "RE: that's clearer"
In response to Reply # 16

Yeah, I think her touching the ink shows us that the communication and understanding the language is a lot more subconscious than we might think.

I also think the bigger message of the story is about life itself. We ALREADY KNOW our lives and those around us will all lead to death. Yet we continue. We create children that (hopefully) live on after us. We understand time in a different way. Yes we are tethered to it, but it also gives everything a meaning and value.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sun Nov-13-16 11:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "what a fantastic movie, give Adams her Oscar right now"
In response to Reply # 0

a lot of scenes depended on her showing revelation, fear, confusion, sadness and countless emotions and she really knocked it out of the park I thought. Renner was good too, in a more self-effaced role.

I think I got the gist of the narrative but I'm wondering if I should read the novella it's based on.

Great cinematography (though not as good as Sicario)

Could have possibly done without the Jina ((c) the Prez) and Russia subplot, but the scene where Louise talks to General Shang was a high point of the movie to me.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Mon Nov-14-16 09:09 AM

18. "Saw it last night"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a little confused.

So the aliens came and their whole things is that they can see time a non-linear. Awesome! I get that.

So why was it only about Louise and her daughter for the most part?

I thought the danger was 3 thousand years in the future, ok so did the little girl die from that disease? Why didn't the aliens show that to her? Is it limited to how long you're alive, if so do the alien's live for thousands of years?

I was with it up until the ending.

My girl cried and I blew raspberries.

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Nov-14-16 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "The aliens didn't show anything to her other than the language"
In response to Reply # 18

Once she started to understand the language her perception of time changed and she saw her life events before they happened in pieces. Through that understanding she was able to make the important decision and action in this time. My boy that I saw the film with figured it out about halfway through the film. They did a good job of being consistent with the core idea.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Wed Nov-16-16 12:36 PM

22. "indeed. that was their inherent altriusm"
In response to Reply # 19

>Once she started to understand the language her perception of
>time changed and she saw her life events before they happened
>in pieces. Through that understanding she was able to make the
>important decision and action in this time.

this makes sense when i look back on the scene where louise and ian are talking about how learning another language can change your cognition.

very good movie overall. loved the establishing shot that circles/descends upon the montana basecamp.

*spoiler*

i ain't gonna front --- i cut a little onions when louise realized that ian was da baby daddy.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Nov-14-16 03:33 PM

20. "Very well made film; didn't love the story"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not a fan of time travel paradoxes like How did the guy know he had to tell her his phone number? although in this case I was a little bit more forgiving. But I kind of called the "Daughter is the future" angle early and was kind of bummed that that was going to be the solution to the overall question.

Ultimately, I enjoyed the film but nothing really stuck with me. I know a lot of people are moved by it because of how it relates to today with helping others/refugees but I didn't really feel like it played with that angle enough to make it resonate. Also, I feel like the solution being knowing what happened in the future kind of short-circuits that. (And I think the Sicario lesson was more important for what's happening today.)

Still, one of the better movies of the year so far.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Wed Nov-16-16 08:56 AM

21. "probably my fav this year"
In response to Reply # 0

i really enjoyed this. Villeneuve's films are very engaging, my type of movie.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Thu Nov-17-16 05:14 PM

23. "beautiful film. Villeneuve stays undefeated."
In response to Reply # 0

Doctor Manhattan vibes, the obvious Contact parallel, and even a bit of Nolan to the third act, but it all comes together extremely well.

I was surprisingly moved, and reminded of the words from another director:

"As if Japan weren't small enough to begin with, I fail to understand why it is necessary to think of it in even smaller units. No matter where I go in the world, although I can't speak any foreign language, I don't feel out of place. I think of the earth as my home. If everyone thought this way, people might notice just how foolish international friction is, and they would put an end to it. We are, after all, at a point where it is almost narrow-minded to think merely in geocentric terms. Human beings have launched satellites into outer space, and yet they still grovel on earth looking at their own feet like wild dogs. What is to become of our planet?" (c) Akira Kurosawa

--------

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Fri Nov-18-16 02:05 AM

24. "Very disappointing payoff."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-18-16 02:12 AM by denny

And philosophically, an extremely unsophisticated understanding of language underlies a movie that's supposed to espouse the beauty of communication. Words are symbols for meanings which pre-supposes the existence of those meanings before words are used to symbolize them. It's about the most unromantic understanding of language possible and is used here as an attempt for romantic effect.

A very dull and unimaginative understanding of language that can only retreat into magic territory in an attempt to make poetry out of a very small-minded and overly-mechanical framework of assumptions.

Ex-Machina might be the greatest sci-fi film of the millenium and raised the bar on the philosophy of language in sci-fi to great heights.....this film falls embarrasingly low on that bar.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Thu Nov-24-16 10:43 PM

25. "just... UTTERLY FANTASTIC"
In response to Reply # 0

i was also very happy to read in this thread this was the same director as Sicario (my favorite movie from last year)

this was by far my favorite movie this year, and to be honest, best ive seen since Sicario

i was really moved by this movie man. powerful fucking shit right there. think they dominated every aspect of this film, enjoyed how the aliens looked and presented themselves.

question, she asks her future baby daddy that if you knew your entire future ahead of you, what would you do, he says be more truthful about how i feel... when she is drinking wine later on in their house, that must be when she tells him about their kid. surprised he leaves her even still.

again, i left the theater very happy with the experience. LOVED IT.

-----------------------------------------

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Sat Dec-10-16 12:12 AM

26. "FINALLY!!!! What a beautiful adaptation."
In response to Reply # 0

They did the story justice on the screen. Villeneuve and Bradford Young kept me hooked.

Deft touches with dialogue and cinematography.

------------------
One Hundred.

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Sun Dec-11-16 12:02 PM

27. "Underwhelmed. Visually beautiful but that's about it"
In response to Reply # 0

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sun Dec-11-16 07:32 PM

28. "I'll get in this line"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun Dec-11-16 07:36 PM by Nodima

it became too sentimental and focused on the primary character's story

I had the same issue with Interstellar's third act but at least they made it clear it was always going to be about this guy saving the galaxy from the beginning

the introduction of Renner's character had me all set up for a straight up hour and a half of problem solving and figuring out what the aliens want and then all of a sudden it's another kind of movie.

that said, I had a similar problem with how Sicario snuck an entirely different movie into what it spent most of its time attempting to be and I enjoyed that far more on a second viewing recently than I did in theaters.

but I'm not necessarily in the "I really gotta have a kid no matter what may befall that kid because I want to raise a successor and feel that level of affection for something" subset of humanity so it didn't hit me the way it would likely hit parents or wanna-be parents.

I got most excited when her dreams and reality began becoming a bit of a blur near the mid-section but they didn't stick with that idea enough; this movie would've been a great Inception-style thriller if they'd have played with that idea more.

I will add that in addition to the scenery and general aesthetic of the movie (look, score, atmosphere) being masterful I also thought it had a perfect pace to it; I just take issue with the beats and overall message, which I also think the movie undermined a bit with a couple specific pieces of dialogue and plot points that didn't necessarily seem satirical though they may have been intended to be.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Dec-12-16 08:55 AM

29. "I'm finally catching up on Denis Villeneuve, period, and..."
In response to Reply # 0

Arrival was good, not great. The hype around it was too great to really deliver the movie I wanted it to be.

Also just watched Prisoners which was very good (and better than Arrival).

Sicario up next.

Sue me, I'm late.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Tue Dec-13-16 09:05 PM

30. "I was really disappointed by Young's"
In response to Reply # 0

Visual

I hated how flat the color grading was. The shots were good but I just was not wowed with the choice they made in color grading

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Dec-14-16 11:49 PM

31. "RE: I was really disappointed by Young's"
In response to Reply # 30

That's fair.

>Visual
>
>I hated how flat the color grading was. The shots were good
>but I just was not wowed with the choice they made in color
>grading

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Fri Dec-16-16 12:49 PM

32. "that flat look is standard for Sci-Fi drama. "
In response to Reply # 30

What he did playing with focus and perspective was dope.

------------------
One Hundred.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Dec-24-16 12:38 PM

33. "Was interesting"
In response to Reply # 0

Amy Adams played herself...again
But it worked this time
Usually she's annoying as hell
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

KnowOne
Charter member
39942 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 09:01 AM

34. "I really enjoyed it."
In response to Reply # 0

I can see why some did not though.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 08:07 AM

35. "It shouldn't have started with the future visions"
In response to Reply # 0

That really fucked the story up for me. Otherwise it was pretty awesome. If they had saved the future visions for when she actually started understanding the language it would have been completely solid.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49392 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:12 AM

36. "If they did that then it would have been clear they were future visions"
In response to Reply # 35

the point was to mislead the audience into thinking it was scenes from the past.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:16 AM

37. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 36

------------------
One Hundred.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Thu Mar-09-17 09:13 AM

38. "Beautiful...bravo"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-09-17 09:13 AM by LA2Philly

For whatever reason (and I had no idea about the plot of the movie other than the basic concept), my viewing intersected during a time where the major themes are so salient to me personally.

Back to that in a second..technically, well done in all regards. The leads, the framing, the pacing, the handling of the always difficult time dimension. Villanueve handled the latter aspect like Nolan wishes he could have in Interstellar...complex without being convoluted, shows rather than tells using the natural flow and mechanisms of the plot.

The final 10 minutes had me in tears. The major theme of enjoying the process/moments regardless the outcome is one I have carried throughout my life yet have forgotten recently due to certain frustrations with constraints. Renner's final line floored me "all my life I looked up to the stars...and what surprised me most, wasn't meeting them, it was meeting you." Goosebumps while just typing that line...get so caught up in the future and where we want to go or do, and I'm extremely guilty of this, that we forget those things most impactful are often times right in front of us.

Bravo. The power of film...this is the film I needed to see at this moment in my life and so thankful I did.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49392 posts
Tue Jan-04-22 05:52 PM

39. "I am an idiot. On rewatch this movie might be in my top 5 sci-fi. "
In response to Reply # 0

I saw it years ago (but not when it came out) and I think I enjoyed it good enough but I think I had some of the complaints people stated in here, namely I was looking for a deep dive movie on what first contact would be like and it isn't that type of movie.

I also thought it was somewhat hokey in an interstellar type of way thinking it was one of those sci-fi movies where the main theme is love conquers sciences. I thought the story of Louise Family Life was too narrow a focus of a film about First Contact.

I rewatched it recently and it was one of those rewatches where I kinda of mostly forgotten what the story was about and every scene was familiar but I was still captivated like I was watching it for the first time. And I was in a sense because my focus this time was totally different. This time I totally got caught up with the idea of The "tool/weapon" of the Aliens language. To me that's the most interesting aspect of the movie. The idea that if we had the ability to experience time in a non-linear fashion, it could lead the way to all sorts of breakthroughs including something like world peace (which I think the movie was suggesting was the direction earth was going, from the brink of war to international cooperation because we now have the ability to stop seeing everything as a zero sum competition and finally see the bigger picture.

Looking at the movie this way, it no longer seemed like a small narrow scoped movie but a movie with a broad global message.

I don't know, it just hit differently watching it again. Something that I am finding happens a lot on rewatches of Denis Villeneuve movies. In the past few months I rewatched the Prisonor, Sicaro and Arrival and I think on first pass I thought they were all well made genre movies on second watching I see a lot more is going on in the films. Denis Villeneuve is somebody who I have seen many of his films without knowing the director by name to becoming one of my top 5 working directors simply by rewatching his films. Dude is a slow burn director in a time when everything else seems surface deep and based on speed.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Thu Jan-26-23 01:21 AM

40. "This resonates with me more and more. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Birdzeye
Member since Feb 29th 2008
433 posts
Tue Jan-31-23 02:51 PM

41. "RE: This resonates with me more and more. "
In response to Reply # 40

I’ve seen it twice since it’s release, and it had a deep impact on me in both viewings. One of the best sci do’s I’ve watched.

Lurk everyday.. Post once a month..

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714724 Previous topic | Next topic