Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714193

Subject: "Star Trek Discovery" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Thu Jul-21-16 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Star Trek Discovery"

Word is that's what the new film will be called. Or so I'm told.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/21/star-trek-4-jj-abrams-comments-sequel

J.J. Abrams says next Star Trek story is his favorite of the franchise thus far

by Christopher Rosen • @chrisjrosen

J.J. Abrams is very excited about the next Star Trek film.

Speaking to EW at the premiere of Star Trek Beyond at San Diego Comic-Con on Wednesday night, Abrams said the story for the franchise’s fourth feature is his “favorite Star Trek story that we’ve had.”

“So one of the reasons that I’m hoping does well is so that we can, without question, get that movie made,” Abrams added. “It really is an amazing story. It’s really the reason we made the deal with Chris Hemsworth as soon as we could because we really wanted that story to be told, so fingers crossed.”

Paramount announced Monday that Hemsworth would return to the franchise. The Thor star appeared in the opening minutes of 2009’s Star Trek as George Kirk, father of James T. Kirk, before being killed off. In a press release on Monday, the studio added Star Trek 4 would allow the living Captain Kirk (played by Chris Pine) to “cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father.”

But while Abrams is pretty set on Trek 4, the film’s cast is still in the dark. “I have no idea, I have no idea,” Pine said when asked what to expect from the film. “J.J. hasn’t really told me anything. But I’m looking forward to it, I love Chris, I think he’s fantastically talented. We had a great time on the first one. … It’ll be a blast.”

Added Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock, “The great thing about Star Trek is there are limitless possibilities and combinations of story and I think proves that in a lot of ways and I can’t wait to see where all of us go to from here.”

Star Trek Beyond is out on Friday.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Please no time travel.
Jul 21st 2016
J.J. won't recast Anton
Jul 21st 2016
If they're playing with time travel, they should call Walter Koenig.
Jul 21st 2016
Damn shame....
Jul 21st 2016
The show premiered this Sunday. Anybody watch?
Sep 25th 2017
loved Episode 1
Sep 25th 2017
Love it.....
Sep 26th 2017
I'm hopeful, but not fully convinced.
Sep 26th 2017
On second viewing...
Sep 26th 2017
Well
Sep 27th 2017
      Hey, it's Nopayne!
Sep 27th 2017
      another NERL
Sep 28th 2017
           Haha I never left, really
Sep 28th 2017
                lol.. better man than I... or something rather
Sep 28th 2017
RE: I'm hopeful, but not fully convinced.
Oct 08th 2017
Not even a ST fan, but I enjoyed the first episode...
Sep 27th 2017
I liked it! I get the gripes tho
Sep 27th 2017
I took her switch
Sep 27th 2017
wait wait wait wait....
Sep 27th 2017
Watch on Netflix, gonna hip ya'll on how to do it
Sep 28th 2017
RE: Watch on Netflix, gonna hip ya'll on how to do it
Sep 28th 2017
same here.
Oct 08th 2017
Can you do this on your phone?
Oct 06th 2017
RE: Star Trek Discovery
Oct 01st 2017
that's a very good point about first episodes
Oct 01st 2017
      RE: that's a very good point about first episodes
Oct 01st 2017
           The advanced tech doesn't really bother me
Oct 02nd 2017
                Yup
Oct 04th 2017
                     another reason TNG i think really nailed some of the tech
Oct 08th 2017
                          communications tech people can usually invent as they imagine it
Oct 09th 2017
Episode 3 still flames.
Oct 04th 2017
Some of it fits in nicely with canon
Oct 04th 2017
i'm digging this show
Oct 09th 2017
Episode 4
Oct 09th 2017
yeah
Oct 09th 2017
      RE: yeah
Oct 10th 2017
Still good. Really liked the last episode. Y'all still watching?
Oct 29th 2017
I'm still watching
Oct 29th 2017
      I applaud CBS for trying to find a balance....
Oct 30th 2017
Anybody Still Watching?
Nov 09th 2017
Still watching.. and enjoying it.
Nov 10th 2017
I'm frequently doing the Comic Book Guy thing, but still into it.
Nov 10th 2017
I'm deeply entrenched into this series
Nov 14th 2017
Ep 10 -- Ugh.
Jan 09th 2018
Then stop watching it
Jan 09th 2018
There's more to it than that, though.
Jan 09th 2018
      RE: There's more to it than that, though.
Jan 09th 2018
      I mean if we're being real the first three seasons of TOS sucked
Jan 11th 2018
           Yeah, I really don't care for any of TOS,
Jan 11th 2018
lost interest 15 minutes in
Jan 13th 2018
This show is fire
Jan 21st 2018
I'm looking forward to it.
Jan 22nd 2018
I hope you like it I thought it was awesome
Jan 22nd 2018
      I still can't get over this mirror universe thing.
Jan 25th 2018
Ep 12 OMG!!!!
Jan 23rd 2018
This episode was great. SMG and the rest of the crew are brining it.
Jan 28th 2018
Show is straight flames
Jan 23rd 2018
RE: This show is fire
Jan 25th 2018
LOL at "Make the Empire Glorious Again."
Jan 28th 2018
Yeah, it's not perfect
Jan 28th 2018
I'm not criticizing (anymore).
Jan 29th 2018
      RE: I'm not criticizing (anymore).
Jan 29th 2018
I like it alot, but my only beef is that its consistently good
Feb 05th 2018
      you're not wrong...good points...I don't disagree with any of this...
Oct 09th 2018
Two episodes left
Feb 02nd 2018
Idcidcidc I love this series
Feb 06th 2018
It's a good show
Feb 06th 2018
      So.Gud.
Feb 06th 2018
Apparently Discovery is the most talked about show on TV
Feb 06th 2018
what a shit finale
Sep 06th 2018
watching series on free trial...LOVE it so far!
Sep 14th 2018
finished season 1...we're hooked!
Oct 09th 2018
So, it's back. 2epis into season 2... Very meh
Jan 26th 2019
yeah I enjoyed ep 1, but ep 2 was kinda blah.
Jan 29th 2019
Lol now that others are 'meh,' I'm loving it!
Jan 29th 2019
I'm still liking it but they went hard Star Trek on it.
Jan 29th 2019
I'm still in...
Apr 15th 2019
me too, this season has been GREAT...
Apr 16th 2019
waiting, so I can binge, but I am all in.
Apr 16th 2019
Meh, started out strong.
Apr 16th 2019
I grade anything trek on a huge curve... But man
Apr 19th 2019
Pretty much
Apr 19th 2019
I give zero fuchs about canon, this show is just fun to watch.
Apr 19th 2019
this is pretty much where im at too
Apr 20th 2019
The show is REALLY good
Apr 22nd 2019
Love this show and enjoyed the finale....
Apr 22nd 2019
I thought it was great.
Apr 22nd 2019
First ~1/2 of the season was really great.
Apr 23rd 2019
I just watched Season 1
Jun 14th 2021
All in for another season. Loved the Black Love in Space with Book.
Jun 17th 2021
I like Book - not sure about the di-lithium kid though
Jun 29th 2021
      I don't mind them checking multiculti boxes as long as Michael
Jun 29th 2021
Season four starts this week!
Nov 14th 2021
Damn that episode was actually pretty good.
Nov 18th 2021

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Jul-21-16 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Please no time travel."
In response to Reply # 0

Just have them go explore cool places! Not loving this.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Thu Jul-21-16 05:12 PM

2. "J.J. won't recast Anton"
In response to Reply # 0

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jj-abrams-re-cast-anton-yelchin-character-star-trek-1201817719/

Producer J.J. Abrams has decided that Anton Yelchin’s Pavel Chekov character will not be re-cast for future “Star Trek” movies.

“I would say there’s no replacing him,” Abrams told the Toronto Sun. “There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”

Yelchin, who died June 19 in a freak accident, had played the Chekov character in the three reboots. “Star Trek Beond,” the third film in the revamped franchise premieres on Wednesday at Comic-Con in San Diego and opens in theaters on Friday.

Abrams told the newspaper he could not disclose if the next “Star Trek” film would include the death of Chekov’s character. “I have thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk about it,” he said.

Paramount Pictures, Skydance and Bad Robot announced on Monday that they were going ahead with the fourth film in the rebooted “Star Trek” series, starring Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth. They disclosed that Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with his father, described as “a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born.”

Hemsworth, who appeared in 2009’s “Star Trek,” will return to the space saga in the father role as George Kirk. The remaining cast — which includes Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho and Simon Pegg — is expected to return.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will write the screenplay. J.J. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance will executive produce.

The announcement did not indicate who will direct. Justin Lin directed “Star Trek Beyond” from a script by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12692 posts
Thu Jul-21-16 10:26 PM

4. "If they're playing with time travel, they should call Walter Koenig."
In response to Reply # 2

Kinda joking, but I wouldn't put it past them.

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Thu Jul-21-16 07:34 PM

3. "Damn shame...."
In response to Reply # 0

Star Trek is fucked beyond recognition at this point....

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Sep-25-17 06:40 PM

5. "The show premiered this Sunday. Anybody watch?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-25-17 06:41 PM by nipsey

Episode 1 premiered on CBS. With Episode 2 available the same night via CBS All Access. The show was surprisingly good. Really good. CBS obviously put a lot of money into this show. You can see it in the effects, cinematography, makeup and set design. The production values were very high.

I like where they are going with the story. It does (at first glance) appear to not be the same ole Trek. My biggest issue (and I'm sure other fans probably feel the same) is with the Klingons. Yet again they redesigned the look of the Klingons. They also made them more "primitive" and "animalistic". I wasn't a fan of that.

I don't really want to spoil anything, but some characters behaved in ways "un-Trek like" and there is a major twist (if you haven't been paying attention to the previews). And that is a good thing.

I had some trepidation when this project was announced, but after watching the first two episodes, I am all in.

I am still not a fan of the the whole concept of CBS All Access. It costs $5.99/month for limited commercials and $9.99 for commercial free content. And CBS will release one episode per week. It sucks because it's a way for them to keep viewers on the teat and to milk that money. But it's a smart business decision for them, no matter how much we hate it.

In any event, I give the first two episodes a B+ with the potential of this being an "A" show by the time the season is done.

I did a podcast review of the show. If you're interested check out the links below for a spoiler free discussion of the first two episodes.

Available on iTunes, Google Play, ACast, PlayerFM, TuneIn, Stitcher, SoundCloud and Podbean!

Listen at the following links:

Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-Facebook

iTunes: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-iTunes

Soundcloud: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-SoundCloud

TuneIn: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-TuneIn

Google Play: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-GooglePlay

Podbean: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-Podbean

PlayerFM: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-PlayerFM

Acast: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-ACast

Stitcher: http://tinyurl.com/JTTOU-34-Stitcher

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Sep-25-17 10:22 PM

6. "loved Episode 1"
In response to Reply # 0

haven't seen the 2nd yet, will prpb stream it tomorrow. But yeah, i thought ep 1 was very well done....Production was excellent, it was really gorgeous looking...everything from the opening theme into graphics to the special effects in the actual episode. It looked really really top shelf. And also thought the story so far was strong and is pulling me in, so i'm intrigued and all-in at this point.

plus, my boy Doug Jones is in it (we're big fans of his) so yep, consider is on board!

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 08:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Love it....."
In response to Reply # 0

Ep 1 was great! Ep 2 was a little predictable but still entertaining. And the preview for the rest of the season def goes in a direction I was not expecting! Pissed they going this streaming service route. And even more disappointed that even if it does get renewed, the 2nd season would not be ready until 2019.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

stravinskian
12692 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 10:58 AM

8. "I'm hopeful, but not fully convinced."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-26-17 11:16 AM by stravinskian

I hate it when people complain about too much CGI, but I think they got a little silly with it here. There were whole sets (like the captain's ready room) that appeared to be completely green-screen and CGI. In retrospect I guess I see why they wouldn't have invested in sets for some of the rooms, but I think they could have been more convincing with what they did.

I also hate it when people complain about too much lens flare. But Jesus Christ, they must have just decided that Star Trek is about lens flare now.

Also, the acting felt odd to me, not very self assured, especially from such strong actors. It could have been in my mind, it could have been because there were so many other things going on, could have been the dialogue, could have been the sometimes-weird CGI or the overdramatic camera angles. I dunno. I'm not worried about that long-term -- if it's the actors they'll adjust, if it's me, I'll adjust.

I'm not a fan of what they've done with the Klingons, but I've never liked the Klingons. I like that they're speaking their own language, but it doesn't really count as realism when they're still obsessed with fighting with swords in the 23rd century.

I hope not every episode will involve a big battle scene. If they're looking for ratings, that hope is probably in vain. But the reason the Trekkies have been so hungry for a new series is so that the television medium will allow them to get into something deeper than that.

All that said, though, I did REALLY enjoy the first two episodes. I will let them go where they want to go with it before I jump to conclusions. I prejudged Enterprise and gave up on it almost immediately, only realizing years later that it was in many ways the best of all the series. I definitely trust Nicholas Meyer, even if he's only consulting. I'm paying for CBS All Access, and will continue to do so for some time after the show ends even if I don't end up liking it, just to support the idea of Star Trek on TV.

stravinskian
12692 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 11:32 PM

9. "On second viewing..."
In response to Reply # 8

I don't know why I thought whole indoor sets were CGI. It's pretty clear they're not. Maybe I was thrown by the short depth of field, the wacky camera angles, and the omnipresent lens flare.

Still, it feels like the director was trying REALLY hard. I'll get used to it.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52620 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 12:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Well"
In response to Reply # 9

There were one or two interior shots that had a weird blur to them that made them look green screen.

A lot of the stuff is definitely being built for real though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMheN7IUNE

---
Love,
Nopayne

stravinskian
12692 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 12:42 PM

14. "Hey, it's Nopayne!"
In response to Reply # 10

Haven't seen you around here in a while.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 01:23 PM

17. "another NERL"
In response to Reply # 10

just came back myself... figures you would too.

Nopayne
52620 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 03:35 PM

18. "Haha I never left, really"
In response to Reply # 17

I've just been in lurk mode.

---
Love,
Nopayne

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 03:40 PM

19. "lol.. better man than I... or something rather"
In response to Reply # 18

good to see you mang!

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Sun Oct-08-17 08:09 AM

29. "RE: I'm hopeful, but not fully convinced."
In response to Reply # 8

>Also, the acting felt odd to me, not very self assured,
>especially from such strong actors. It could have been in my
>mind, it could have been because there were so many other
>things going on, could have been the dialogue, could have been
>the sometimes-weird CGI or the overdramatic camera angles. I
>dunno. I'm not worried about that long-term -- if it's the
>actors they'll adjust, if it's me, I'll adjust.

So I totally get this, especially for the lead actress. But I softened some after discovering her Vulcan rooots. She felt awkward and stilted, but I realized that was her attempt at displaying the Vulcan logic/unemotional thing but not all the way. Don't think she really made it work but I became much more forgiving. Had no issues with other actors, except maybe the captain?

>I'm not a fan of what they've done with the Klingons, but I've
>never liked the Klingons. I like that they're speaking their
>own language, but it doesn't really count as realism when
>they're still obsessed with fighting with swords in the 23rd
>century.

I wish homie didn't die, he could have been a cool antagonist and the started to build a good back sorry

Three episodes in, I'm all in

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 06:42 AM

11. "Not even a ST fan, but I enjoyed the first episode..."
In response to Reply # 0

Looked great, acted well... Won't get me to sign up to CBS All Access, but I liked the effort.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 08:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "I liked it! I get the gripes tho"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-27-17 08:25 AM by BigReg

It does seem odd to see the Klingon's regress even if its supposed to be a prequel (even though they were pretty cool). The Klingon's have been painted as generic alien badguys since the movie reboots and I guess Discovery is continuing the tradition (I do wish they were a little more bad ass though to match their look)

And I thought that the insane emotional twist the main character pulled at the end of episode one while fun+gripping television, made no sense from what we knew about her. It was exacerbated by the fact all the flashbacks in the episode hinted how unlikely she was to make that kind of decision considering how tied to Vulcan society she was raised.

That said, it was better then the last movie and it's going to be interesting to see Star Trek boldly go where it hasn't gone before; premier serialized television. Since it seems like interpersonal and political dynamics are going to be a big part of the series they might go a Deep Space 9 route in the long term and I ain't mad at that at all.

Master Thespian
Member since Mar 25th 2003
622 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 09:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "I took her switch"
In response to Reply # 12

to be indicative that maybe the Vulcans aren't particularly skilled with helping human children deal with PTSD. You saw Burnham's reaction when she was offered a kind word about her skills from Georgiou. Then she later says to Sarek that he was never one to bolster her self esteem. That kind of cold upbringing can make a kid smart but I don't think it would help one recover from the kind of trauma Burnham's been through.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 11:29 PM

15. "wait wait wait wait...."
In response to Reply # 0

is the ONLY way i'll be able to watch upcoming episodes of Star Trek: Discovery by paying for CBS All access?? Will it not be airing on just regular ol' CBS on a weekly basis???

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 08:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "Watch on Netflix, gonna hip ya'll on how to do it"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-28-17 08:48 AM by Paps_Smear

Using google chrome download the extension called Hola Unlimited Free VPN.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Click the Hola icon to turn it on and select United Kingdom for the country.

Profit

UK has it on their netflix free with episodes released weekly. LOL @ CBS thinking I'm spending money on yet another streaming service.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 04:26 PM

20. "RE: Watch on Netflix, gonna hip ya'll on how to do it"
In response to Reply # 16

I got a proxy message from Netflix...

------------------
One Hundred.

x49
Member since Nov 04th 2009
1716 posts
Sun Oct-08-17 07:16 PM

30. "same here."
In response to Reply # 20

>I got a proxy message from Netflix...

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Fri Oct-06-17 06:56 PM

28. "Can you do this on your phone? "
In response to Reply # 16

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Oct-01-17 10:53 AM

21. "RE: Star Trek Discovery"
In response to Reply # 0

I rewatched the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery and the show plays better the second time around. I was even more impressed with the effects as I had time to concentrate on them more. Also, *some* of the things with the Klingons made more sense.

I still have issues with the depiction of the Klingons. Also, I don't like how continuity is all messed up with the advanced technology displayed on a show that is supposed to take place pre-Kirk, but I will deal with it.

In any event, this was the best first two hours of ANY Trek series. It’s not even close. It’s better than Encounter at Farpoint, Emissary, Caretaker and Broken Bow.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Oct-01-17 12:39 PM

22. "that's a very good point about first episodes"
In response to Reply # 21

i pretty much agree with everything except the advanced technology

i really wish there was any thing else on cbs all-access that could convince me to pay for this though.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Oct-01-17 08:40 PM

23. "RE: that's a very good point about first episodes"
In response to Reply # 22

>i pretty much agree with everything except the advanced
>technology

It's annoying with them messing with canon, but I am just going to accept it. I can't be mad at a show that is actually turning out to be good over something like them changing canon. I don't care *that* much about such things.

>
>i really wish there was any thing else on cbs all-access that
>could convince me to pay for this though.

I know how you feel. I wasn't going to sign up myself. But I know it would kill me to not be able to watch while I read folks talk about the show online.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Mon Oct-02-17 09:19 AM

24. "The advanced tech doesn't really bother me"
In response to Reply # 23

I mean I get it. Also have to look at when those were made they were seriously limited as far as what they could get away with. I'd much rather have a better looking show visually than one that has to handicap itself.

If you sign up for the free trial for cbs access and then cancel before its up they offer you a free month.

This show is good man, really digging it and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Hopefully they keep it up.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Oct-04-17 12:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Oct-04-17 12:25 PM by BigReg

>I mean I get it. Also have to look at when those were made
>they were seriously limited as far as what they could get away
>with. I'd much rather have a better looking show visually
>than one that has to handicap itself.

Ive had some time on my hands and ive been binging some older 80's to 90's sci fi and it's funny seeing computers supposedly 200 years from today still using monochrome fat monitors and a shitload of big ass brightly colored buttons.

To keep it 'authentic would be more jarring to me. Imagine homegirl making a run for the captain's desk in that first scene and the camera pans to controls that look like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51GXu2j-UbL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

LOL.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun Oct-08-17 08:59 PM

31. "another reason TNG i think really nailed some of the tech"
In response to Reply # 25

they were using tablets and shit in the 90's all touch screen

their little terminals looked like 90's laptops reskinned which is probably what they were

but still compared to what alot of other shows did i was always impressed with the entire gui they seemingly made for the show

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 07:04 PM

34. "communications tech people can usually invent as they imagine it"
In response to Reply # 31

uis are all about what we can imagine

though in terms of raw computational power and kinds of circuitry we haven't gotten there. always impressive imagining how much digital oomph it would take to have a teleporter or a holodeck.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Oct-04-17 12:24 PM

26. "Episode 3 still flames."
In response to Reply # 0

I still don't buy all the character beats of the main character (WHY THE BLACK WOMAN GOTTA BE THE FIRST INSUBORDINATE MOTHERFUCKER IN STAR FLEET) but you can't deny the plot is going into interesting places with the introduction of the new ship + secret purpose.

Any hardcore star trek geeks; is the shit going down canon that was referenced on past shows or shit they are making up as they go along

Nopayne
52620 posts
Wed Oct-04-17 02:20 PM

27. "Some of it fits in nicely with canon"
In response to Reply # 26

The whole black badge thing looks like it fits in nicely with a reoccurring theme in the universe.

There are other parts of ep three that they can make work but it's gonna be a stretch.

I don't want to spoil anything for the non-nerds so I'll leave it at that.

---
Love,
Nopayne

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 11:16 AM

32. "i'm digging this show"
In response to Reply # 0

really loving the overall look, effects, etc...

the storyline thus far is interesting and actors are playing the characters well. i'm in for the duration of this season at least.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 04:47 PM

33. "Episode 4"
In response to Reply # 0

LOL@that death. That was quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever witnessed on TV, up there with NCIS stupidity. I guess the fact its a CBS show had to show up eventually.

That said, I do love the similar arcs between the Klingon 'torchbearer' and the main character as far as being better then their contemporaries but being forced to rebuild

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 10:10 PM

35. "yeah "
In response to Reply # 33

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>LOL@that death. That was quite possibly one of the dumbest
>things I have ever witnessed on TV, up there with NCIS
>stupidity. I guess the fact its a CBS show had to show up
>eventually.
>
>That said, I do love the similar arcs between the Klingon
>'torchbearer' and the main character as far as being better
>then their contemporaries but being forced to rebuild

that death was definitely so dumb. all that starfleet training and that was the idiotic idea you came up with? smh.

the other part of the episode that i was shaking my head at was the ship battle. made no fucking sense at all. so they teleport in with the ship, take out 2 klingon warbirds immediately like it was nothing. 2 birds left and instead of just blasting them like the others they wait till they are almost destroyed just to pull off that juke move that might not have even presented itself anyway? what fucking terrible writing.

Master Thespian
Member since Mar 25th 2003
622 posts
Tue Oct-10-17 08:10 PM

36. "RE: yeah "
In response to Reply # 35

Discovery DASH'd in, caught two BoP with their shields down, then dropped the charges on the other three ships because they were too maneuverable to take take them a fair fight, as the simulation showed.

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 11:28 AM

37. "Still good. Really liked the last episode. Y'all still watching?"
In response to Reply # 0

Always been a fan of Actor playing Sarek.

Don't know why I forgot that means she's Spock's "sister" until they explicitly said it

I hope the admiral survives, she's milfy cute

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 07:43 PM

38. "I'm still watching"
In response to Reply # 37

The show is good. As long as the viewer doesn't go all Comic Book Guy and dissect every contradiction with established canon and enjoy the show for what it is. If you don't think of it as a "Star Trek" show and just a sci fi show, you would enjoy it a lot more.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 12:15 AM

39. "I applaud CBS for trying to find a balance...."
In response to Reply # 38

between the feel of the Star Trek movies and the old shows. I think it works mostly. I still hate that Michelle Yeoh was only a guest but at least the show isn't a drag because it's trying to appease the hardcore Trekkies out there.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:49 PM

40. "Anybody Still Watching?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am and I still enjoy it. Although I did not like the episode where Harry Mudd returned. It was a rip off of TNG's "Cause and Effect" and had too many holes for my liking. But outside of that, the show has still been good to me.

Especially now that I've heard about the fan theory involving Lt. Tyler. Has anyone else heard it? I don't want to discuss it and spoil it for folks who aren't aware.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:31 AM

41. "Still watching.. and enjoying it."
In response to Reply # 40

nm

stravinskian
12692 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 12:32 PM

42. "I'm frequently doing the Comic Book Guy thing, but still into it."
Fri Nov-10-17 12:50 PM by stravinskian

It's still Star Trek, and it's still good in its own way.

But it's making me hope we someday get a show produced by people who really loved Star Trek. Particularly TNG-era Star Trek. I've seen more than enough fucking Tribbles at this point in my life.

Ever since Abrams came along, they've been trying to merge the campy TOS-era sensibilities with the gritty action that the studios think the people want (and which DS9 did better than they're doing now, anyway).

TNG wasn't generally great, cerebral sci-fi, but at least it aspired to it and reached it surprisingly often, as did DS9, Enterprise, and (kinda) Voyager. There's gotta be a place for that kind of thing in the modern, atomized world of streaming television.

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 12:08 PM

43. "I'm deeply entrenched into this series"

I do not like the LT Tyler theory at all.
The show really doesn't need that kind of plot twist,
it's unsustainable especially if we eventually
move beyond the Klingons as the primary enemy.
I would rather see L'Rell become torn between
pushing the T'Kuvma agenda
or just taking the whole shit for herself.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

stravinskian
12692 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 01:11 AM

44. "Ep 10 -- Ugh."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-09-18 01:28 AM by stravinskian

So by now we've had tribbles, Harry Mudd, goofy Klingon mythology, and today we're treated to the goddamn mirror universe.

This isn't fan service, it's just a cartoon. It's like the producers asked random people on the street what they know about Star Trek and forced the writers to shoehorn it all in.

I really want to support this show. And sometimes it's been great. But it's really trying my patience.

When they transport down to the Nazi planet I'll be done.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 07:39 PM

45. "Then stop watching it"
In response to Reply # 44

I'm not saying that to be snarky. I'm truly not, but it's clear you don't like any of the creative decisions they've made. 10 episodes in and you're not feeling it. And it's clear the mirror universe stuff is going to go on for a few more episodes if not the rest of the season. There is no need to waste your time because I don't see it getting better for you.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

stravinskian
12692 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 08:16 PM

46. "There's more to it than that, though."
In response to Reply # 45
Tue Jan-09-18 08:20 PM by stravinskian

Like I said, a few episodes have been absolutely great. The general idea of modernizing the storytelling in the Star Trek universe is great. Some of the characters (Burnam, Saru, Tilly, maybe Lorca), are among the best Star Trek has ever had.

My problem is just with the gimmicky references to campy aspects of the original series. I never liked those aspects of the original show, but even if I did, they seem completely out of place in a show that's otherwise trying to build compelling characterizations and "gritty" drama.

It feels like many of the creators really care about enriching the Star Trek universe, but others (including CBS suits maybe?) have been pushing to keep it broad. And it just doesn't mesh.

There's also the issue that this is just where Star Trek is right now. If the fans don't support it, it'll die. I will say, it's been a lot easier as a Star Trek fan to be excited about Discovery than it was for the Abrams movies.

All that said, though, everyone keeps saying (and it's generally true) that Star Trek series usually need a season to find their legs. The first season of TNG was just as uneven, if not more. Despite all my complaints, I'm confident the show will get better. I'm just ranting because I'm a nerd, and I wish they'd done better. (And I'm fully aware that I wouldn't have been able to do better.)

I'm also curious if anyone will come in and say they like the mirror universe. Because it's never seemed anything other than silly to me, in any of the series.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 11:51 PM

47. "RE: There's more to it than that, though."
In response to Reply # 46

>It feels like many of the creators really care about enriching
>the Star Trek universe, but others (including CBS suits
>maybe?) have been pushing to keep it broad. And it just
>doesn't mesh.
>

I can see that. It's always going to be a battle when you're dealing with the big four networks. They want to be as broad as possible. Hopefully the creatives will win this battle.

>
>All that said, though, everyone keeps saying (and it's
>generally true) that Star Trek series usually need a season to
>find their legs. The first season of TNG was just as uneven,
>if not more. Despite all my complaints, I'm confident the show
>will get better. I'm just ranting because I'm a nerd, and I
>wish they'd done better. (And I'm fully aware that I wouldn't
>have been able to do better.)

I was 11 when TNG started so I didn't notice, but looking back, that first year was pretty bad. I've watched all of the series (save TOS) multiple times. I would say that generally, none of the shows started to pull it together until season 3 and season 4 is where they really took off. Even "Enterprise". That said, Discovery easily has had the best first season of any of those shows. That's not to say it is better than those shows or will end up being better, but it is definitely off to a better start than the other shows IMO.

>
>I'm also curious if anyone will come in and say they like the
>mirror universe. Because it's never seemed anything other than
>silly to me, in any of the series.

For me, the mirror universe stuff is a case by case situation. I mostly didn't care for the mirror universe in DS9 other than we got to see Sisko's wife. The mirror universe episodes on Enterprise was actually more entertaining than expected. Hoshi's character was awesome. Unfortunately those episodes had nothing to do with the main narrative of the show, so they felt inconsequential.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Nopayne
52620 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 05:17 PM

48. "I mean if we're being real the first three seasons of TOS sucked"
In response to Reply # 46

It didn't even start to get good until the second movie.

Discovery isn't great but I think it's ahead of the curve (aside from maybe DS9).

---
Love,
Nopayne

stravinskian
12692 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 06:12 PM

49. "Yeah, I really don't care for any of TOS,"
In response to Reply # 48

apart from the movies (and I actually liked all of the TOS movies except 5).

That's part of why I'm so not into the Abrams reboot.

For me DS9 was the only series that really hit the ground running. Actually I also liked early Enterprise, once I overcame my Voyager fatigue enough to watch it.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sat Jan-13-18 04:33 PM

50. "lost interest 15 minutes in"
In response to Reply # 44

just wasn't holding my attention. also, that announcement that they might be in a different universe at the beginning was hilarious the way they cut to every single crew member, even the ones that don't do shit.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Jan-21-18 10:46 PM

51. "This show is fire"
In response to Reply # 0

If you don't like this show, you are just a hater. Don't get caught up on "It's not canon" or it's not like the Star Trek you know. The show is its own thing and it is very good. They obviously spent a LOT of money on production and they've thought out the narrative. It seemed a little sketchy at first, but as the season progressed, you can see things starting to tie together. This week's episode probably being the best one so far.

Anybody else still watching?

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

stravinskian
12692 posts
Mon Jan-22-18 12:01 AM

52. "I'm looking forward to it."
In response to Reply # 51

I haven't had a chance to see ep 12 yet, but #11 largely won me back after my rant against #10.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jan-22-18 09:40 AM

53. "I hope you like it I thought it was awesome "
In response to Reply # 52

>I haven't had a chance to see ep 12 yet, but #11 largely won
>me back after my rant against #10.
>

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

stravinskian
12692 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 05:28 PM

57. "I still can't get over this mirror universe thing. "
In response to Reply # 53
Thu Jan-25-18 05:29 PM by stravinskian

It's clearly not as big a problem for others as it is for me, so I don't pretend my opinion matters on this (though I do wonder if it might have turned non-trekkies away, if the CBS streaming requirement hadn't already done that).

But it just feels ridiculous that the whole series now seems to be structured around a plot device that's become the second most prominent example of how silly the original series got (Spock's goatee ranks just behind "Spock's Brain" in the public consciousness, I mean).

I'm sticking with it because I've loved Star Trek since I was like 5 years old. And most everything other than the plot arc is very compelling to me. But I really hope they find something both new and non-silly to structure the next season around. I would definitely NOT say this first season is stronger than the first seasons of Enterprise, DS9, or possibly even TOS.

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Tue Jan-23-18 11:10 AM

54. "Ep 12 OMG!!!!"

Yeah I love this show.

Duc999
Member since Jun 05th 2009
1551 posts
Sun Jan-28-18 01:12 AM

58. "This episode was great. SMG and the rest of the crew are brining it."
In response to Reply # 54

I'm loving how the Klingon plot keeps getting more intricate.

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Tue Jan-23-18 06:51 PM

55. "Show is straight flames"

The long term story telling so far this season has been amazing. I look back on the episodes that I thought was a one off and now I'm like nope that episode meant something and it's showing now.

It's at the top of my must watch list each week and I hope they continue with the momentum.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 03:37 PM

56. "RE: This show is fire"

I LOVE IT! And I love where they're taking it.

My boyfriend never watched DS9, so i was excited to have him watch with me. Turned out DS9 at least the pilot is soooooo shITE! Will try harder because it DOES get better, but like you said earlier Discovery's first seas is way better than the other ST shows.

stravinskian
12692 posts
Sun Jan-28-18 10:32 PM

59. "LOL at "Make the Empire Glorious Again.""
In response to Reply # 0

As much as I'm quibbling with things in this show, it definitely has its moments.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Jan-28-18 11:54 PM

60. "Yeah, it's not perfect"
In response to Reply # 59

but really, what show is? Considering the weight of 50 years of Star Trek lore it has to bear, I think the writers have done a fine job. I'm really excited to see where they go next season. I know there are two episodes left, but I'm already looking forward to next season.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

stravinskian
12692 posts
Mon Jan-29-18 01:32 AM

61. "I'm not criticizing (anymore)."
In response to Reply # 60

I wouldn't be making so many posts about it if I wasn't into it.

I was just saying the Trump reference was fun.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jan-29-18 11:26 AM

62. "RE: I'm not criticizing (anymore)."
In response to Reply # 61

Sorry. I didn’t mean to come off as arguing with you. I had been thinking about some of the problems of the show myself and I came to the conclusion, that no show is really perfect and that I really appreciate what they are doing.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-05-18 01:22 PM

64. "I like it alot, but my only beef is that its consistently good"
In response to Reply # 59

when it can be consistently great. Like my man Lorca...

**SPOILERS**

Lorca was a great character concept that theywasted. Someone above mentioned in Star Trek lore in the fleet there was a heavy war hawk contingent and tackling it as a theme (in a property that at times was a little too optimistic) would have been a good angle since the current golden age of television favors it’s anti-heroes.

The thing is that whole mirror storyline which was perfectly set up was squandered. Here you had a civilization that zinged where they should have zagged and as opposed to seeing what happens when ‘good’ ideals get corrupted; everyone was the badguys. And don’t get me wrong; it was entertaining as hell, the entire season has been entertaining as hell. But it could have also been smart at the same time too.

For some reason I think if we were in DS9 the Lorca universe would have been a great story about how power corrupts and that taken to the extreme even ‘good’ guys can be bad (which other Trek shows have played around with). But here they were so cartoonishly villainous that I felt like they squandered the opportunity.

Now that Michelle Yeoh’s character is in their main continuity there is still a chance to explore some of those themes in a time of war. But considering how she was literally snacking on alien people only two episodes ago I don’t see that moral discussion lasting long.

It reminds me of another entertaining show that had a great idea eventually ran out of stunts to cover themselves, Walking Dead, and what they did with the Shane character.

While Shane was a ‘bad guy’ what made his legacy great was ultimately his amorality was right; his pro-active ‘Survival first, morals second’ was adopted to a certain extent by almost all the characters in the show since his death particularly the main leads. The Klingon’s winning the war is the moment where Lorca could be proven ‘right’ and having a less psychopathic version of him there would be great for the show. But now? He’s was just a looney dude that’s trying to date his ex’s twin sister, lol.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 09:11 PM

72. "you're not wrong...good points...I don't disagree with any of this..."
In response to Reply # 64
Tue Oct-09-18 09:12 PM by Voodoochilde

>when it can be consistently great. Like my man Lorca...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>**SPOILERS**
>
>Lorca was a great character concept that theywasted. Someone
>above mentioned in Star Trek lore in the fleet there was a
>heavy war hawk contingent and tackling it as a theme (in a
>property that at times was a little too optimistic) would have
>been a good angle since the current golden age of television
>favors it’s anti-heroes.
>
>
>
>The thing is that whole mirror storyline which was perfectly
>set up was squandered. Here you had a civilization that
>zinged where they should have zagged and as opposed to seeing
>what happens when ‘good’ ideals get corrupted; everyone
>was the badguys. And don’t get me wrong; it was
>entertaining as hell, the entire season has been entertaining
>as hell. But it could have also been smart at the same time
>too.
>
>
>
>For some reason I think if we were in DS9 the Lorca universe
>would have been a great story about how power corrupts and
>that taken to the extreme even ‘good’ guys can be bad
>(which other Trek shows have played around with). But here
>they were so cartoonishly villainous that I felt like they
>squandered the opportunity.
>
>Now that Michelle Yeoh’s character is in their main
>continuity there is still a chance to explore some of those
>themes in a time of war. But considering how she was
>literally snacking on alien people only two episodes ago I
>don’t see that moral discussion lasting long.
>
>It reminds me of another entertaining show that had a great
>idea eventually ran out of stunts to cover themselves, Walking
>Dead, and what they did with the Shane character.
>
>While Shane was a ‘bad guy’ what made his legacy great was
>ultimately his amorality was right; his pro-active ‘Survival
>first, morals second’ was adopted to a certain extent by
>almost all the characters in the show since his death
>particularly the main leads. The Klingon’s winning the war
>is the moment where Lorca could be proven ‘right’ and
>having a less psychopathic version of him there would be great
>for the show. But now? He’s was just a looney dude that’s
>trying to date his ex’s twin sister, lol.
>
>

yeah. I'm one who dug this 1st season a lot (see posts below), but yeah...your points above are true and intriguing...there was much ( a whole lot of potential) to be explored there (with Lorca character helming this Discovery starfleet crew but blurring the lines of the starfleet principles), and I honestly initially thought that THAT was what this entire series was going to explore (and I was indeed excited to see what that could bring, especially since this series seemed willing to take some chances)...like you said, that had the potential for GREATness....

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Feb-02-18 11:10 PM

63. "Two episodes left"
In response to Reply # 0

Discovery is back in the Prime Universe but it's 9 months later and the Federation is getting ran by the Klingons. It's about to get real.

My prediction is Saru becomes Captain and Burnham becomes first officer.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 02:07 AM

65. "Idcidcidc I love this series"
In response to Reply # 0

But...
They made her captain...are they crazy
She was an emperor
Absolute power
Etc etc
Sheesh
I love this show
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 08:19 AM

66. "It's a good show"
In response to Reply # 65

It's a better show in its first season then pretty much every other Trek (except the OG series, *throws up Capt Kirk gang sign*

But it really does throw all the trek tropes out, and them niggas be doing some dumb as shit.

Plus why they gotta vaporize Lorca, my man was entertaining as hell

>But...
>They made her captain...are they crazy
>She was an emperor
>Absolute power
>Etc etc
>Sheesh
>I love this show
>~~~~
>When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so
>that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
>~~~~
>You cannot hate people for their own good.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 10:33 PM

68. "So.Gud."
In response to Reply # 66

>It's a better show in its first season then pretty much every
>other Trek (except the OG series, *throws up Capt Kirk gang
>sign*
>
>But it really does throw all the trek tropes out, and them
>niggas be doing some dumb as shit.
>
>Plus why they gotta vaporize Lorca, my man was entertaining as
>hell
>

Lorca coming back
I don’t believe it they don’t just dump main white guys
I have suspicions
I wish Culber was coming back though *sniffle*

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Tw3nty
8466 posts
Tue Feb-06-18 01:23 PM

67. "Apparently Discovery is the most talked about show on TV"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2018/01/30/hulu-is-gaining-on-netflix-but-star-trek-discovery-is-an-unstoppable-monster/#286b2960152e

Hulu Is Gaining On Netflix, But 'Star Trek Discovery' Is An Unstoppable Monster
Ian Morris

LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 05: Jason Isaacs, Sonequa Martin-Green and Shazad Latif attend the 'Star Trek: Discovery' photocall at Millbank Tower on November 5, 2017, in London, England. (Photo by Karwai Tang/WireImage)

A couple of stories have grabbed my attention recently. Firstly, there’s the news - via Observer.com - that Hulu has had an amazing 12 months and now claims around 17 million subscribers. That’s nearly 42% growth since May 2016.

It’s not all rosy for Hulu because Netflix boasts a more global reach. Outside the US Hulu doesn’t really operate, which is part of the reason that Netflix claims 109 million worldwide customers. In the US Netflix is more than twice as big as Hulu with nearly 53 million customers.

Things get confusing when you factor in Amazon though, which has 80 million Prime subscribers. It’s not as easy to tell how many of these are using the video service, but Amazon makes nearly twice as much money on the “Prime” offering as Netflix did last year ($6.4bn vs $3.29bn). Amazon also spent $4.5bn on productions last year - less than Netflix’s annual spend of $8bn.

What’s interested me though is the Star Trek: Discovery “Demand Expressions” or, better known as the number of people talking about a show. According to Parrot Analytics - video below - Star Trek: Discovery has more than 53 million people talking about it in the US. That beats The Walking Dead which has around 46m expressions. Netflix’s Stranger Things also has a staggering 33m of these within the US.

Traditional TV is doing well, with shows like Shameless and Game of Thrones creating more hype than almost any “digital original” or show that comes from a purely online service but not one of them seems to be more discussed than Star Trek. That could, in part, be because Star Trek is the only show currently airing new episodes. Even so, impressive hype for a brand new show.

All of this should be good news for CBS All Access, but the company isn’t releasing numbers of subscribers for its streaming service. Star Trek: Discovery also airs on Netflix outside the US where it mops up a considerable number of Trek enthusiasts. It’s shows like this that I think will help boost Netflix in the long term. They might not be quite as profitable, as they’re owned by other distributors, but they have an instant reach that Netflix own shows can’t quite match.

Time will tell if the impending launch of Disney’s own streaming service and the related loss of its content from Netflix will have a long-term impact on the company. With Star Wars, Disney movies and TV shows leaving the service this year Netflix will have a gap to fill.

Update: Parrot Analytics got in touch to explain more about Demand Expressions. All sorts of interest are tracked, it told me, including legal and illegal streams as well as conversations on social media. Parrot’s methodology can be seen on its site.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 09:09 PM

69. "what a shit finale"
In response to Reply # 0

finally finished up after a long break. overall i enjoyed the show, but the finale i found to be boring as shit. and then they end with the surprise enterprise tie in? naw, fuck that.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Fri Sep-14-18 09:17 PM

70. "watching series on free trial...LOVE it so far!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-14-18 09:22 PM by Voodoochilde

saw the pilot when it aired on regular CBS a while back....loved it but just couldnt
add yet another pay channel just for one show.

fast forward a year later...wife gets a free trial of CBS all access so we jump in....about 5 or 6 eps in to Star Trek Discovery so far, and DAMN this is a really really good show. Helluva cast doing some great work here. if the quality keeps up, this has the potential to being my favorite Trek since the original.
(for the record, my faves so far have been the Original Series and a Deep Space 9)

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 08:57 PM

71. "finished season 1...we're hooked!"
In response to Reply # 0

The Star Trek Discovery IS RIGHT THERE with my favorite Trek series ( Original Series & Deep Space 9)...it mAy end up being my favorite it keeps up the quality.

On the actors performances alone, its the best by far.
(from top to bottom, and in between, this cast is really really strong...Sonequa Martin-Green is Michael is emitting the perfect balance of Vulcan raised Human, the amazing Doug Jones as Suru is showing how strong his emotive chops are by giving heartbreaking emotions EVEN through the heavy makeup/costume of his character. And special props to Michaels cute red headed roomie Sylvia Tilly played by Mary Wiseman! I have a special appreciation for her...every time she's on screen I get the giggles due to her scene stealing PERFECTly understated comic timing! Cant get enough of her)

Visually speaking, I think this series looks GLORIOUS, probably best I've seen in Trek tv too.
( I truly get my 'sci fi' fix satisfied and with the scenes & effects in Discovery.)

Character development? I think ALL of the characters are extremely well thought out and developed, I want to know more about pretty much all of em.

so yeah...I dig it...im in....and the finale has me hyped for season 2....well done!

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Sat Jan-26-19 09:51 AM

73. "So, it's back. 2epis into season 2... Very meh"
In response to Reply # 0

But I'm watching. If it's star trek I'm in regardless.

Not sure I find any of the characters likable, I guess that's why they added Pike, as basic baby face hero archetype. Maybe getting emo Spock later will help

Whatever I'll be here till the end mildly entertained.

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:30 AM

74. "yeah I enjoyed ep 1, but ep 2 was kinda blah."
In response to Reply # 73

nm

stravinskian
12692 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 12:40 PM

75. "Lol now that others are 'meh,' I'm loving it!"

I'm a sucker for the 'observe a pre-warp civilization' episodes, though.

Nopayne
52620 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 04:06 PM

76. "I'm still liking it but they went hard Star Trek on it."

I kinda appreciated that they were willing to try something new in Season 1.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Apr-15-19 11:30 PM

77. "I'm still in..."
In response to Reply # 0

we're still enjoying this over here. Anyone else still part of the crew?

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 07:46 AM

78. "me too, this season has been GREAT..."
In response to Reply # 77

and the finale should be EPIC.

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 10:54 AM

79. "waiting, so I can binge, but I am all in."

------------------
One Hundred.

Nopayne
52620 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 06:03 PM

80. "Meh, started out strong."

Then took a big dip a few episodes in. I'm really not feeling this proto-Borg storyline.

That said I'm loving Pike and Georgou steals every scene she's in. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the finale. I'm not a stickler for canon but I want to see how they "fix" it.

---
Love,
Nopayne

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 10:13 AM

81. "I grade anything trek on a huge curve... But man"
In response to Reply # 0

This was bad.

Just too many random sci-fi tropes and concepts mashed together haphazardly.

Really bad show runners. This would have been much better with 50% less story.

Still watched all of it, but got worse as it went along.

This season dropped it below Enterprise for ones I've watched. Never watched Voyager so can't speak to that one.

Nopayne
52620 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 01:10 PM

82. "Pretty much"
In response to Reply # 81

I'm not a huge stickler for canon but that finale went full Star Wars on us for no reason. The Enterprise has squadrons of fighters now?

That said, some of the visual effects were amazing. The standouts for me were the hallway gravity fight and the wormhole effect used for the time travel sequence.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Tw3nty
8466 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 01:34 PM

83. "I give zero fuchs about canon, this show is just fun to watch."
In response to Reply # 0

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 09:19 AM

84. "this is pretty much where im at too"
In response to Reply # 83

>RE: I give zero fuchs about canon, this show is just fun to watch.>

havent watched the finale yet, but from the start we've found ourselves just looking forward to this show every week. its FUN, plain and simple as that. for us, its an easy to digest (but not 'empty') hour of SciFi fun that leaves us satisfied each time. Some really good performances & characters, nice mixes of dramatic & humorous stuff, and the show is gorgeous to look at too....its solid well executed fun.

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 07:41 AM

85. "The show is REALLY good"

I really don't get the issues that some people have with it and I feel like a lot of it is fanboy nitpicking. It's a highly enjoyable sci fi show that really has me on board for Star Trek. I hope this thing continues with this quality.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 08:30 AM

86. "Love this show and enjoyed the finale...."

also like how it explains why we never heard of Discovery, the crew, and spore tech in any of the old shows. Curious to see where they take the show in season 3 though. Not sure why its getting any of the hate Ive been seeing.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 11:14 PM

87. "I thought it was great."

I’m over the shitty makeup for Abrams Klingons. Boreth and the ship designs were very cool. And the canon integrity concerns are bullshit. Star Trek played fast and loose with all kinds of things through every iteration.

Discovery has made real efforts to slot into the timeline. I think they did a real amazing job with Michael/Spock and family. Pike really helped the tone this season too. I bought the coda.

I didn’t like the second to last episode. Would have been better to have an extended final episode and cut 20 mins off the goodbyes. Tilly’s spore parasite and the histrionics around bringing Rickie back were also not the best. Stamets was moping around the whole season. Could have used more from Jett and Number One.

Those are all small things. Otherwise I have absolutely no complaints. It’s waaaay ahead of the curve of any Star Trek show after a couple dozen episodes.

This season was a lot better than the first because they weren’t trying to bullshit through the Klingon War (rip Axanar) or explain the spore drive. It will be interesting to see what this/Section 31/Picard can accomplish moving forward. People complained a lot about the time on this one but based on Voyager and recent movies I’m actually much more worried they won’t know what to do with the unestablished portions of the timeline.

stravinskian
12692 posts
Tue Apr-23-19 10:21 AM

88. "First ~1/2 of the season was really great."
In response to Reply # 0

As good as Star Trek has ever been.

It did go downhill with the boring, cliche explanation of the red angel, and the boring, cliche AI villain, and the super dumb 'time crystal' turn. And the retcon to explain why nobody's heard of Michael Burnham or the spore drive was eyeroll-inducing.

But Pike was great. Spock was (shockingly) even better. I actually hope the Pike series comes together. Cancel the Section 31 series and run Star Trek: PikeSpockNumberOne instead.

Despite the fact that I can never seem to get fully behind this show, I'm actually REALLY looking forward to season 3. I've been wanting to see Star Trek visit the FAR future for a long time. It'll allow them to really break new ground in a way that TNG did. And the way they set it up might let them improve on the Voyager idea. It'll also finally force them to avoid the cheap mindless callbacks that have held them back so far. So far they've managed canon in the worst possible way: thinking they need to explain trivial things like the lack of technology in the original Enterprise, while at the same time being willing to undermine the logistics that defined the next 100 story years (spore drive). Now that they're situated in the far future they can just make their own show, and it will probably be a lot better. (They'll still go to the fucking mirror universe at some point, though.)

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Mon Jun-14-21 12:02 PM

89. "I just watched Season 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Michael is fun to watch.

The explanation on how Lorca got into our universe didn't exactly make a lot of sense. Did he kill our Lorca and replace him after the transporter thing? Did I miss this?

So which Paul was which? When we first meet him he seems a lot closer to the mirror-universe version on that character? What explains his change? Did the Paul in this universe get swapped out with another one? I am confused? Or was the spore network his ayahuasca moment?

Why do they insist on setting these shows in the past of the other shows?

Is Ash dead? Is it's Vol's modified body that contains his personality?

BIG shout to L'Rell's white outfit - that was the perfect Klingon outfit.Fierce, yet still female. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/2b/85/f92b8564b65f2ac88a872f6bb325443f.jpg

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Thu Jun-17-21 03:43 PM

90. "All in for another season. Loved the Black Love in Space with Book."
In response to Reply # 0

Empathic swashbuckling environmentalist Brother with a Pop locking spaceship and a pet cat. I just needed them to find a way to sneak in Zapp's "Computer Love"...

------------------
One Hundred.

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Tue Jun-29-21 01:14 PM

91. "I like Book - not sure about the di-lithium kid though"
In response to Reply # 90

I'll keep watching.

Also Star Trek Strange New Worlds is goin in rotation too.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Tue Jun-29-21 01:31 PM

92. "I don't mind them checking multiculti boxes as long as Michael"
In response to Reply # 91

remains centered. She has proven to be a compelling character in the same way Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway enthralled us.

------------------
One Hundred.

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sun Nov-14-21 01:51 PM

93. "Season four starts this week!"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Nopayne
52620 posts
Thu Nov-18-21 06:38 PM

94. "Damn that episode was actually pretty good."
In response to Reply # 93

I'm happy that they are spending more time showing the crew working as a team. Really great to see Burnam actually have consequences for trying to do everything herself.

They didn't beat us over the head with The Big Threat so far either which is a nice change.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714193 Previous topic | Next topic