Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #710539

Subject: "Underground" Previous topic | Next topic
naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Thu Apr-07-16 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Underground"

Are ya'll not watching this awesome show? There's a tear jerking moment every week as the runaways and the slaves on the plantation fight for their dignity and freedom in the midst of sweltering oppression.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
binge watching right now
Apr 08th 2016
I was avoiding it
Apr 09th 2016
The music is the only thing bad about it
Apr 21st 2016
      music has been hit and miss. Only time it bothered me was...
Apr 22nd 2016
           Been tryna figure the music out and can only come up with...
Apr 28th 2016
Its a crime this show is so slept on....
Apr 21st 2016
Yes and man it's good
Apr 24th 2016
don't sleep!
Apr 27th 2016
ep 9 (spoilers)
May 06th 2016
Season Finale was cool
May 12th 2016
Season 2
Jun 03rd 2017
RE: Season 2
Jun 03rd 2017

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Apr-08-16 09:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "binge watching right now"
In response to Reply # 0

this shit is awesome

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Sat Apr-09-16 02:27 AM

2. "I was avoiding it"
In response to Reply # 0

Ended up watching 4 in a row.Not your usual save us Massa snuff fest we're used to. This actually shows slaves as thinking, intelligent men and women.Feels like a heist type show,Some scenes are still difficult to digest.Shit is also surprisingly well acted. Took me a while to get used to the music on the show.Definitely watching it through the season.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 09:28 PM

4. "The music is the only thing bad about it"
In response to Reply # 2

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Fri Apr-22-16 08:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "music has been hit and miss. Only time it bothered me was..."
In response to Reply # 4

When they had some techno rave music playing during the governors ball. Im like really? Why not just have the piano music from the guy that was playing. Felt crazy outta place.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 02:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Been tryna figure the music out and can only come up with..."
In response to Reply # 5

the thought that they are using it as a device to make it relevant to current times. Otherwise, I don't get it.

I love the show though.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 09:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Its a crime this show is so slept on...."
In response to Reply # 0

I binge watched yesterday and caught up. This show is sooooo good and so well done!!!

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 09:23 PM

6. "Yes and man it's good"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Apr-27-16 12:13 PM

7. "don't sleep! "
In response to Reply # 6

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

naame
Charter member
21018 posts
Fri May-06-16 01:45 PM

9. "ep 9 (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

why they had to kill my man cato??? His inexorable will to be free against all odds, even in the face of his own selfish pride, was one of the defining aspects of this show. Now it's like the we have more clearly defined roles of good and evil, which may be a bad move.

I was totally confused by Ms. Ernestine showing up in Meloni's hallucination. I don't even recall them having a long enough conversation with him for his fantasies about her to even be that deep. Then I didn't understand why she was giving him all this primal sexual energy.

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Thu May-12-16 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Season Finale was cool"
In response to Reply # 0

Lost quite a few known names...will be interesting to see how next season plays out.

Mama is not to be played with. Surprised she spilled the beans on Boo's mama. I thought she was gonna kill the baby, but hoping she would kill the preacher, but I guess there wasn't an opportunity.

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Sat Jun-03-17 05:56 PM

11. "Season 2 "
In response to Reply # 0

Season 2 hasn't been as good a season but it had some dope scenes. I think the show has more to offer. Harriet Tubman is awesome in it. Wish she did more.They spent too much time on Ernestine getting high on that island. I enjoyed Cato's story until his girl showed up oh so conveniently when that redhead slave hunter was hunting him down. I sometimes think the show goes to fast, tries to cram too much in one episodes and it affects immersion which makes it difficult to care about some characters. I watched 8 episodes so far; if season 1 was a n 8 , season 2 is 7. It lingers in some parts and rushes in others. I wish they spent more time showing Harriet Tubman doing cool shit than Ernestine taking drugs and scheming. Rosalee and Noah were cool but Rosalee not telling him about being pregnant while jumping into danger made me so mad.

It's a shame it's getting cancelled.
Apparently the show got cancelled not because they lacked viewers but because the parent company that makes the show got sold.It was apparently one of USA's more watched shows which it is hard to believe that both BET and OWN passed on taking it over. I hope they find a new home for it.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Jun-03-17 10:42 PM

12. "RE: Season 2 "
In response to Reply # 11

>It's a shame it's getting cancelled.
>Apparently the show got cancelled not because they lacked
>viewers but because the parent company that makes the show got
>sold.It was apparently one of USA's more watched shows which
>it is hard to believe that both BET and OWN passed on taking
>it over. I hope they find a new home for it.

This isn't surprising. It's a relatively expensive show. The cast is large and it's a period piece. It's expensive because they have to do location shoots, create period costumes and props. So that would count BET and OWN out. They're not gonna pay the kind of dollars to do this show right. I personally think Netflix would be a good landing spot. They have the money and a show like this would be good to target Black viewers. They pretty much don't have any original dramas that specifically target that group other than Luke Cage.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #710539 Previous topic | Next topic