Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #707215

Subject: "Punisher Netflix series in the works *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Sat Jan-16-16 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Punisher Netflix series in the works *swipe*"

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-punisher-netflix-jon-bernthal-marvel-spinoff-series-1201681525/

Netflix is eyeing yet another Marvel series, as the streaming giant is prepping to spin off Jon Bernthal’s “Daredevil” vigilante Punisher for a series of his own.

Though Bernthal’s character, also known as Frank Castle, has yet to make his debut on the current Netflix series, he will debut in “Daredevil’s” second season, which launches March 18.

Netflix and Marvel declined to comment on “The Punisher” spinoff, first reported by Variety‘s sister site TV Line.

“The Punisher” would mark Netflix’s sixth Marvel show, following Daredevil” and “Jessica Jones” and the upcoming “Luke Cage,” “Iron Fist” and “The Defenders.”

Netflix does not release usage numbers, but according to data revealed last year by Variety, “Daredevil” is one of the platform’s most popular shows with an estimated 10.7% of subscribers having watched at least one episode in its first 11 days on the streaming service. According to NBC’s presentation of Netflix numbers this past week, “Jessica Jones” averaged 4.8 million viewers in adults 18-49 during a 35-day viewing cycle, ranking as the most-viewed show for that time period.

Though Netflix declines to comment on numbers, the sources of data showcase Marvel’s success for the streaming service, making “The Punisher” a seamless addition to their programming slate.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*prayers answered*
Jan 17th 2016
Yes, Barracuda please.
Jan 17th 2016
      HA The GAWD Bokeem back in action n/m
May 02nd 2016
Looks like it's a go!!!
Apr 29th 2016
hmm
Apr 29th 2016
Apparently, Microchip has been cast. Gunning for 2017 release
Aug 17th 2016
Micro and two others announced
Oct 06th 2016
Gotta admit Karen Page co-starring in this not a huge selling point
Oct 08th 2016
^^^^^
Aug 21st 2017
Dropping in November apparently.
Jun 09th 2017
Teaser
Aug 18th 2017
Marvel's The Punisher | Official Trailer
Sep 20th 2017
ONE!
Sep 20th 2017
as much as I like Jon Bernthal as an actor
Sep 20th 2017
2nd trailer! Drops November 17th!!!
Oct 19th 2017
First two episodes are solid
Nov 17th 2017
You can tell that whoever wrote this
Nov 18th 2017
My full review. I wish the rest of the Marvel Neflix shows were this goo...
Nov 18th 2017
Reading the subject was enough
Nov 18th 2017
good review
Nov 20th 2017
This review is everything I wanted to say after watching
Nov 20th 2017
yeah this is pretty good
Nov 20th 2017
**SPOILER WARNING** I suppose
Nov 27th 2017
I mean there kind of was
Nov 27th 2017
RE: **SPOILER WARNING** I suppose
Nov 27th 2017
So good! Best marvel Netflix joint for me
Nov 28th 2017
Every Episode Pure Intensity.
Nov 28th 2017
It's hard not to call this the best Marvel/Netflix joint yet.
Nov 29th 2017
definitely the best Punisher
Nov 29th 2017
      Absolutely agree.
Nov 29th 2017
Loved it. Couldve been 9 eps tho.
Nov 30th 2017
Loved it. Couldve been 9 eps tho.
Nov 30th 2017
Disagree. At no point did it drag for me
Dec 02nd 2017
      i'm with this
Dec 03rd 2017
      Didn't say it dragged
Dec 03rd 2017
4 more episodes to go
Dec 04th 2017
Fantastic. One of the best series of 2017 period
Dec 04th 2017
Very good point. Completely agree
Dec 05th 2017
This was great...
Dec 05th 2017
Renewed for Season 2
Dec 13th 2017
Fantastic! Seems on Netflix too
Dec 13th 2017
the friendship b/w Micro and Frank was amazing
Dec 15th 2017
well, I'm glad at lest 1 person liked Iron Fist &The Defenders
Dec 18th 2017
      lol...seems that way anyways
Dec 18th 2017
Started a rewatch on this.
Mar 25th 2018
Punisher was a lot better than I expected
Mar 25th 2018
      The car chase and heist at the end of episode 4
Mar 25th 2018
By far my favorite Marvel series.
Mar 31st 2018
What a show - Best that Marvel's got
Jul 23rd 2018

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sun Jan-17-16 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "*prayers answered*"
In response to Reply # 0

Please just make it 5-8 episodes.
Please do Frank Castle Justice.
Please do Barracuda.

>http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-punisher-netflix-jon-bernthal-marvel-spinoff-series-1201681525/
>
>Netflix is eyeing yet another Marvel series, as the streaming
>giant is prepping to spin off Jon Bernthal’s “Daredevil”
>vigilante Punisher for a series of his own.
>
>Though Bernthal’s character, also known as Frank Castle, has
>yet to make his debut on the current Netflix series, he will
>debut in “Daredevil’s” second season, which launches
>March 18.
>
>Netflix and Marvel declined to comment on “The Punisher”
>spinoff, first reported by Variety‘s sister site TV Line.
>
>“The Punisher” would mark Netflix’s sixth Marvel show,
>following Daredevil” and “Jessica Jones” and the
>upcoming “Luke Cage,” “Iron Fist” and “The
>Defenders.”
>
>Netflix does not release usage numbers, but according to data
>revealed last year by Variety, “Daredevil” is one of the
>platform’s most popular shows with an estimated 10.7% of
>subscribers having watched at least one episode in its first
>11 days on the streaming service. According to NBC’s
>presentation of Netflix numbers this past week, “Jessica
>Jones” averaged 4.8 million viewers in adults 18-49 during a
>35-day viewing cycle, ranking as the most-viewed show for that
>time period.
>
>Though Netflix declines to comment on numbers, the sources of
>data showcase Marvel’s success for the streaming service,
>making “The Punisher” a seamless addition to their
>programming slate.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Sun Jan-17-16 08:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yes, Barracuda please."
In response to Reply # 1

I won't accept anyone but Michael Jai White or Bokeem Woodbine as him.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon May-02-16 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "HA The GAWD Bokeem back in action n/m"
In response to Reply # 2

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Apr-29-16 12:22 PM

3. "Looks like it's a go!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/29/its-official-jon-bernthals-punisher-is-getting-his-very-own-netflix-series

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Fri Apr-29-16 01:54 PM

4. "hmm"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-29-16 01:55 PM by Options

Big Pun was absolutely the best part of DD season 2, but I wonder how a show focusing on him will turn out; he works so well as a foil for other characters.

in agreement with Mgmt: I think a 5-6 ep. mini series could be great. all killer, no filler.

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 02:38 PM

6. "Apparently, Microchip has been cast. Gunning for 2017 release"
In response to Reply # 0

If that date on the Netflix series page is true, Netflix is gonna have 3 series next year confirming that the rumor they're expanding to 3 Marvel shows a year.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Oct-06-16 01:42 PM

7. "Micro and two others announced"
In response to Reply # 6

Moss-Bachrach is a surprise for Microchip.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26831/netflix_original_series_marvels_the_punisher_announces_three_new_cast_members

Ben Barnes (“The Chronicles of Narnia“) joins the cast as Billy Russo, Frank’s Castle’s best friend from his days in the Special Forces. He runs a successful private military corporation called “Anvil.”’

Ebon Moss-Bachrach (“Girls”) will play Micro, a former NSA analyst whose secrets may be of great value to Frank Castle and everyone around them.

And Amber Rose Revah (“Indian Summers,” “Son of God”) joins as Dinah Madani, a highly-trained sophisticated Homeland Security agent who is vexed by the Punisher.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/26831/netflix_original_series_marvels_the_punisher_announces_three_new_cast_members#ixzz4MKeLKNlM

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Oct-08-16 07:00 PM

8. "Gotta admit Karen Page co-starring in this not a huge selling point"
In response to Reply # 0

for me.

Confirmed at New York Comic Con. Deborah Ann Will to co-star as Karen.

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 10:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "^^^^^ "
In response to Reply # 8

Back again for the first time.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Jun-09-17 07:20 PM

9. "Dropping in November apparently."
In response to Reply # 0

NM

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 11:21 AM

10. "Teaser"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/iFfBd-Oyhug

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 10:27 AM

12. "Marvel's The Punisher | Official Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

Marvel's The Punisher | Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 11:50 AM

13. "ONE!"
In response to Reply # 12

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 01:14 PM

14. "as much as I like Jon Bernthal as an actor"
In response to Reply # 0

After The Defenders I am skeptical of these Marvel Netflix shows in general.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 09:41 AM

15. "2nd trailer! Drops November 17th!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-19-17 10:00 AM by bwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMW_dPtm7Bo

Shit looks so lit!!! I really hope this is like Daredevil and Jessica Jones' first seasons.

Just realized that date is the same day JUSTICE LEAGUE drops 😂😂😂

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Nov-17-17 08:37 AM

16. "First two episodes are solid"
In response to Reply # 0

Love the slow burn of this shit.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sat Nov-18-17 10:24 AM

17. "You can tell that whoever wrote this"
In response to Reply # 16

Actually READ the comics

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Nov-18-17 02:36 PM

18. "My full review. I wish the rest of the Marvel Neflix shows were this goo..."
In response to Reply # 0

We live in very dangerous times. There’s now a mass shooting every week with some even flying under the radar at how common they are becoming. I have seen many people decry The Punisher as the wrong show at the wrong time. Some have even said that show will never be appropriate. Well, true believers, I can say that they are all one hundred percent wrong. The Punisher is timely and more important urgent take on Marvel’s ultimate anti-hero.

Frank Castle (Jon Bernthal) is a walking zombie working overtime and laying low after retiring his Punisher persona. When a mysterious hacker with the code name Mirco (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) seeks Castle out to right a wrong done to the both them. The two, however, uncover a much bigger conspiracy that will have bigger consequences than either of them could’ve imagined.

Look, first and foremost this is a character drama first, action show second. I’ve seen nothing but complaints from audiences and critics alike that it’s too slow and you know what? I would take this slow pace building characters for me to be invested in than a non-stop CG extravaganza.

That character work is what makes The Punisher so great. There’s stuff that in the early episodes are gonna test everyone’s patience but right off the bat, I knew that everything was gonna come back around and tie back into Frank. Which it does in ways that are very well written making the payoff that much better.

When this show was first announced, I was very excited that Steve Lightfoot was the showrunner. For those unfamiliar, Lightfoot was co-showrunner on the excellent (and canceled way too soon) Hannibal with series creator Bryan Fuller. Lightfoot has written some of the best episodes of television on that show and here even if he has assembled a team of capable writers of crafting the best incarnation of The Punisher yet. One of the things that always bothered me (and there are many) about the best version we had until this point which was the 2004 movie. Director and co-writer Jonathan Hensleigh, who noted, “There are a couple of years where I didn’t want to go; Microchip, the battle van, all that stuff where it got really high-tech; we’re not going there at all. I deemed that too complicated, too lacking of the spirit of the sort of urban vigilante”. This proves simply that he didn’t get as both the battle van and Micro have been outfitted to fit the “urban vigilante” feel of the character. Plus, we get the comics accurate base of operations that Microchip and Frank work out of.

In fact, Mirco has been made into a real character providing much of the heart and hope for this show. In the comics, he was just a goofy sidekick and comic relief who recently got turned into something unrecognizable as they had him make a lasting heel turn that just doesn’t work. Here he’s still an ancillary character, but with more importance. His arc of wrestling with guilt over doing the right thing versus doing the easy thing is well done as well.

Deborah Ann Woll is back as Karen Page and this is the best she’s ever been written. There’s a maturity to her character and for the first time in her now fourth season of television, she does smart things. With the character being either previously a victim or just annoying, it’s good that she now has found a way to be a fully functioning character in her own right. Also returning from previous shows are Royce Johnson as Detective Brett Mahoney and in a cameo Rob Morgan as Turk Barrett.

Ben Barnes continues his run of playing the charming slimy asshole antagonist (like he does on Westworld) with Billy Russo, a name that should be familiar for Punisher fans. Amber Rose Revah is incredible as Dinah Madani, the Homeland Security agent who has an incredible arc. She kicks off an investigation that’s vital to the show with not only her being a woman, but the character’s Iranian-American heritage comes into play. Even Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Marion Jones turns up and her character is layered as well in her brief time onscreen.

So, the thing I want to point out is the politics of this show. It does not glorify gun use and makes the gun control debate a big part of the story. This show seems frustrated that essentially money comes into play for not providing the incentive for better gun control. That political debate even continues with the American society’s treatment of vets and how they become disenfranchised partially blaming us on breeding homegrown terrorists.

As far as the violence, it’s done to not make it look cool. Sure, we want Castle to win, everyone agrees that not only is Castle a destructive man, he’s a necessary evil. The show weighs the pros and cons of vigilantism as well as abuse of power from various government agencies from the local police all the way to the CIA. In fact, Castle himself is conflicted when it comes time to complete a mission as he doesn’t want to kill soldiers who are just doing their jobs. Jon Bernthal makes Castle a worthwhile protagonist who by the end of the show has a very powerful last scene bringing his character to a worthwhile conclusion. It’s not easy, but people do see the good in Frank while recognizing the evil he’s done. Like I said in my review for Daredevil Season 2, Bernthal provides the definitive take on Frank Castle.

Tyler Bates has composed a score worthy of the work done in Luke Cage by Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge. With an acoustic country blues guitar engrained in the score as well as the show’s impressive opening credits, it’s ingrained in the score as well as the show’s DNA. As Castle plays his guitar as well as Micro’s it fits within the urban environment in New York while staying true to the character. As with Bates’ other work he uses a Marilyn Manson song in an episode that he co-composed. The Bruce Springsteen reference is a well-done character moment as well as another Wu-Tang reference that not only acts as another unifier for the Netflix side of the MCU but proves as a fan just how universally loved that group is.

Is this show perfect? No. The pacing lags at times proving the problem that all these shows desperately need to be shorter with about eight or ten episodes max. And because of that some scenes of suspense come off as wheel spinning especially when Frank gets captured, you wonder why don’t the bad guys just kill him, but hey that’s a minor complaint when a show makes great use of the tired Marvel Netflix trope of the hero fugitive wrongly framed and on the run. Even characters saying “welcome back Frank” had me giddy as a reference to the title of one of the most acclaimed storylines in Punisher history.

Despite Daredevil season one being better paced, to me, this first season of The Punisher is the best thing that has come out of the Marvel Netflix side. Part of that is due to the truly standalone nature of the show despite some returning characters. By the season’s end, things are wrapped up so well that if this was it, I would be happy with it. But seeing as they’ve managed to brilliantly set-up The Punisher’s arch-nemesis. Steve Lightfoot desperately wants to do a second season. Since the rights to streaming are up in the air now with all Disney related properties, I say Disney greenlight it ASAP.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Sat Nov-18-17 08:48 PM

19. "Reading the subject was enough"
In response to Reply # 18

for me to delve into the show. I skipped reading the rest of your review so I could get into the show with fresh eyes. I was skittish with this show because I still had a bad taste in my mouth with how the Punisher was used in the second season of Daredevil. The infamous diner scene with him giving the reporter relationship advice still rubs me the wrong way. I just watched the first two episodes and it appears this show is almost divorced from the Defenders universe, which is probably a good thing at this point.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 10:53 AM

21. "good review"

I can't say that I would put this over Jessica Jones, because IMO there was just way more to enjoy in that show. But this is a close second.

And in general The Punisher rekindled a small bit of the hope for Marvel Netflix shows that The Defenders mini-series snuffed out.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 03:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "This review is everything I wanted to say after watching"

I'm in no shape or form a good writer and lord knows my grammar is for shit. But you summed up everything I felt about this show. I hope it stays as a standalone and doesn't go into the other shows that much.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 10:51 AM

20. "yeah this is pretty good"
In response to Reply # 0

Like what's been said it's a slow burn.

I was only half-invested in most of the season, but then the last few episodes hit pretty hard and effectively.

Small gripe is that Bernthal doesn't get anything that like the cemetery scene in Daredevil season 2 that really goes deep into the complexity of a severely bruised vigilante. The best we get are the dreams and memories of tender moments with his wife and kids that haunts him. Which is kind of tired and cliché but not terrible.

I liked dude that plays Micro.

Part of me wants this to stay separate from the Defenders stuff from now on. The other part just wants them to bring the quality of all the other shows to this level so that if the Defenders gets another mini-series, it's actually worth watching next time around.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 11:42 AM

23. "**SPOILER WARNING** I suppose"
In response to Reply # 0

but there wasn't a hallway scene in the entire season, right? I could be wrong, but I don't remember one.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 12:07 PM

24. "I mean there kind of was"
In response to Reply # 23

I'm pretty sure there was at least one scene of dude walking down a hallway gunning guys down.

But as for what you probably mean no there was no one-take Oldboy style hallway fight. If you ask me they were smart not to have one. Thankfully it wasn't that kind of show.

Wise 7
Member since Nov 27th 2006
237 posts
Mon Nov-27-17 12:32 PM

25. "RE: **SPOILER WARNING** I suppose"
In response to Reply # 23

The closest thing may have been the "hostage to elevator" situation...

www.facebook.com/DivineExistence1
www.instagram.com/divine_existence
www.youtube.com/@DivineExistence/videos

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "So good! Best marvel Netflix joint for me"
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 10:03 PM

27. "Every Episode Pure Intensity. "
In response to Reply # 0

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Wed Nov-29-17 09:19 AM

28. "It's hard not to call this the best Marvel/Netflix joint yet."
In response to Reply # 0

Super intense, R-rated, Marvel action, matched with a great selection to play the character (and easily the best Punisher yet), plenty of room to grow (Jigsaw getting his face glassed FTW!)... I really hope they keep this up.

I can't help but imagine Luke Cage and Iron Fist if they were consistently this good.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Nov-29-17 09:59 AM

29. "definitely the best Punisher"
In response to Reply # 28

Throughout the show Bernthal does this thing sometimes when the Punisher kills or hurts someone brutally, where he has this kind of guttural shout/roar. I can't really describe it well but it makes him seem less like a hero/vigilante and more like a psychopath. IMO this is the first time The Punisher has been portrayed like that, really teetering the line.

The show never really loses sight of the fact that Frank Castle is one messed up dude. That's part of what made it so good.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Wed Nov-29-17 10:09 AM

30. "Absolutely agree."
In response to Reply # 29

It was... Logan-ish in tone as a whole, and Bernthal's performance was as well.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 03:26 PM

"Loved it. Couldve been 9 eps tho."

Shouldve been shorter to help me want more. Tad too long when it didnt need to be. Love it tho. Amazing character development in it.

----------

IG @h_n_z

Heinz
20759 posts
Thu Nov-30-17 03:26 PM

31. "Loved it. Couldve been 9 eps tho."
In response to Reply # 0

Shouldve been shorter to help me want more. Tad too long when it didnt need to be. Love it tho. Amazing character development in it.

----------

IG @h_n_z

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Sat Dec-02-17 09:58 AM

32. "Disagree. At no point did it drag for me"
In response to Reply # 31

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Dec-03-17 01:38 AM

33. "i'm with this"
In response to Reply # 32

and i don't understand why it's not better reviewed

i don't really like the bloody action films or guns or even crime dramas, but this was just good.

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Dec-03-17 06:17 PM

34. "Didn't say it dragged"
In response to Reply # 32

It felt like it couldve been shortened where you save some of it for season 2

----------

IG @h_n_z

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 09:39 AM

35. "4 more episodes to go"
In response to Reply # 0

this is so good. a couple of hiccups but, it's shaping up to be a great first season.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Dec-04-17 10:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "Fantastic. One of the best series of 2017 period"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-04-17 10:33 AM by BigReg

What's fascinating is that its absolutely NOT a comic book show, you could put this on HBO with a different name and no one could tell the difference.

While the show had the same episode padding that the other netflix shows suffer from, here they turned it into a strength focusing on the psychological and mental damage of PTSD. The run time felt right

And the crazy thing is as violent as Punisher is this fucker has heart, more so then the other Marvel shows. Like Bwood said Microchip was a revelation of a character when even in the comic his formerly chubby ass is there just for the lulz.

People waxing about the violence didn't get the point, and imho the unexpected last scene nails it home. Not sure how you can watch this and think loves the violence its showing.

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 10:19 AM

38. "Very good point. Completely agree"
In response to Reply # 36

>What's fascinating is that its absolutely NOT a comic book
>show, you could put this on HBO with a different name and no
>one could tell the difference.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Dec-05-17 09:56 AM

37. "This was great..."
In response to Reply # 0

i wonder how it will proceed (if it does). I hope Disney's plans to pull content doesn't impact these shows for a few seasons...I'm assuming they have the rights locked up for a little bit but who knows

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 11:36 AM

39. "Renewed for Season 2"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/940687788072058881

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 01:50 PM

40. "Fantastic! Seems on Netflix too"
In response to Reply # 39

Frank will live to grunt again!

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 09:56 PM

41. "the friendship b/w Micro and Frank was amazing"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-15-17 10:01 PM by araQual

to see Frank actually pal around with someone new, open up his heart, live with another human being and be somewhat normal was so cool to watch. especially knowing the whole time in the back of my mind, at some point, the fucking Punisher will be forced to re-emerge and wreck shop.
very happy Curtis survived.
i'm not a comic book reader so i only know his backstory from the previous films. so the whole arc with Billy was new to me (even tho i KIIINDA suspected he was playing Frank from jump).
overall the heavy focus on ptsd and the often corrupt complexities of war (some of which lead to domestic terrorism) elevate this shit to greatness.

i know the narrative around here is that the Marvel Netflix shows are bloated, some of em outright sucking, but here's the thing. i was way behind, right. so i pretty much binged Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders and this show all within the last 3-4 weeks...and i dunno WHAT the fuck everyone's complaining about.
they've created a dark corner of the Marvel universe here that is utterly fascinating. so much of these shows revolve around hidden power players moving pieces in an eternal game of chess. lots of highborn, rich as fuck figures dwelling in the shadows of the New York skyline, fucking with the little people.
reminds me of shit like "Profit" (in the aesthetics & look of these shows), and even "Angel" (in the willingness to show you who the power players are pulling the strings).

i think 13 eps is a great length. makes everything seem 'realer', if that makes sense. cos the shit of it is, comic book fans cry when their favourite property doesn't get ENOUGH screen time when it's a film, then they complain they're getting TOO much time when it's a tv series. these shits are just right. Big Pun was an intense, highly emotional experience. but even this show required some periods of slowing down, of real human to human interaction and conversation (or in Frank's case, lots of eye-darting and grunting, & all the scenes with Micro's fam). this isn't bloat. we're actually being spoiled here with the amount of extra time we get to spend with our favourite characters.
or are we against character building too now?

(for the record, Iron Fist & Defenders didn't suck at ALL, yet the internet narrative talks about it being a cancerous blight on the good name of Marvel Netflix shows lol. i rarely trusted critical pile-ons before Iron Fist/Defenders, now i don't trust any of okps critiques either. the whole thing stunk of sheeple-like thinking where i'm pretty sure ppl were saying it sucked before they even saw any of it).

Karen Page, however? it's not so much the character itself, but it's Woll's over-acting that kinda grates on my nerves. it's the whole "always breathing heavily in or out, stuttery way of talking that sounds like she's about to burst into tears all.the.damn.time" kinda shit. Karen came into her own a lot in this series, but Woll's got a lot of work to do in terms of figuring out how to speak AS Karen w/out a permanent wobble in her voice. my one and only gripe, really.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 10:31 AM

42. "well, I'm glad at lest 1 person liked Iron Fist &The Defenders"
In response to Reply # 41

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 08:57 PM

43. "lol...seems that way anyways"
In response to Reply # 42

they were nowhere near as bad as the popular reviews, and ptpers, made them out to be. they weren't bad at ALL, actually. but i'm thinkn the way i watched em maybe helped? as in i binged the 5 more recent shows all in one hit, and they played beautifully together (as it should be in an extended shared universe).

Finn Jones got a bad rap too.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Mar-25-18 06:43 PM

44. "Started a rewatch on this."
In response to Reply # 0

Doing two episodes a day.

I noticed how much of the set-up is paid off including dialogue that pops up in both the early episodes and later episode s (Frank calling Micro an asshole).

Also noticing how well Midani's investigation is set-up in order to tie into Frank's time and mystery of Kandhar. Shit everything tying back to Kandhar is so well done.

I took these first 4 episodes for granted the first time around.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Mar-25-18 07:50 PM

45. "Punisher was a lot better than I expected"
In response to Reply # 44

Of all the Netflix shows, it actually had more of a story (enough to fill 13 episodes) than the others. I did get annoyed with Tortured Frank and his dead family. I simply got tired of hearing about it. But overall, the season was solid.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Mar-25-18 08:55 PM

46. "The car chase and heist at the end of episode 4"
In response to Reply # 45

Is just so good.

Even in movies you don't get heists like that. And when Micro rams into Midani...holy shit that's a violent car crash.

Watching these first four episodes again made me appreciate Sam Stein more. Dude was good cop. I'll be sad to see him go.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Sat Mar-31-18 02:39 PM

47. "By far my favorite Marvel series."
In response to Reply # 0

Bernthal is perfect as The Punisher. I cruised to rottentomatoes and saw it had a 60ish rating. Critics must be purposefully trying to pretend as if they hate violence now because this series is damn near perfect.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Mon Jul-23-18 01:52 PM

48. "What a show - Best that Marvel's got"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-23-18 02:02 PM by Beamer6178

Hit on so many strong themes but did not feel overstuffed or that it skipped over anyone.

Great pacing, character development, and gritty action.

Loved the relationships between Micro and Frank, Midani and Frank, and Curtis and him.

Liked how his final conversation with his wife included a different part of their convo and more insight into why he went so far down a dark hole (he was getting out of the game for good).

Great commentary on the complex notion of justice.

Fantastic season. Hoping they can avoid the sophomore slump.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #707215 Previous topic | Next topic