Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #706892

Subject: "Deadwood Movie (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 11:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Deadwood Movie (swipe)"

FINALLY!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/arts/television/hbo-eyeing-a-deadwood-return-and-game-of-thrones-extension.html

HBO Eyeing a ‘Deadwood’ Return and ‘Game of Thrones’ Extension
By JEREMY EGNER
JAN. 8, 2016

HBO is looking to bring back a gone-but-not-forgotten fan favorite and extend its current top series further than even the show’s creators originally hoped.

Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, said on Thursday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that he had approved a movie follow-up to “Deadwood,” David Milch’s poetically grimy western that ran for three seasons before ending rather suddenly in 2006. Mr. Milch will reportedly begin work on a script for the movie, which will run on HBO, when he finishes work on his current project.

“David has our commitment that we are going to do it,” Mr. Lombardo told TV Line, who first reported the movie plan. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”

Rumblings of a return to “Deadwood” have arisen periodically since the show’s end, but they gained steam in August when Garret Dillahunt, an actor on the series, tweeted that he was “hearing credible rumors about a #Deadwood movie.” One challenge would be to align schedules for “Deadwood” stars like Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Anna Gunn and Kim Dickens, who have remained busy since the show ended.

“I’m going to leave that in David’s hands,” Mr. Lombardo said. “He’s confident he will be able to” make the scheduling work.

Mr. Lombardo also told reporters that HBO was close to a finalizing a two-season extension for “Game of Thrones.” The deal would add a seventh and eighth seasons to the epic fantasy series, which returns for Season 6 on April 24.

Three more seasons would take “Game of Thrones” into at least 2018, though cable dramas, like “Mad Men” on AMC and HBO’s own “The Sopranos,” have been known to split up final seasons.

That said, Mr. Lombardo did not say whether Season 8 would be the last one, and he’s been open about his desire to keep “Game of Thrones,” the most popular show in the cable channel’s history, going for as long as possible. (He’s previously said he’d like it to go 10 seasons.) He first mentioned the likelihood of an eight-season run last summer, though Dan Weiss and David Benioff, the creators, previously said the show would go for seven seasons.

Starting with the new season in April, “Game of Thrones” will progress largely without the blueprint of the George R. R. Martin novels that inspired it — the show’s narrative has surpassed that of Mr. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” series. Any hopes that the parallel strands of the “Thrones” saga would be at least somewhat contemporaneous were dashed last week, when Mr. Martin announced that he had missed his deadline to finish “The Winds of Winter,” the long-awaited next installment, which means it will not be released before the new season of “Game of Thrones.”

“I can’t tell you when it will be done, or when it will be published,” he wrote in a blog post, adding, “I am not going to set another deadline for myself to trip over. The deadlines just stress me out.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reminds me I still need to see the show
Jan 13th 2016
Deadwood movie finally greenlit, HBO confirms at last
Jul 26th 2018
Very hopeful, very skeptical
Jul 27th 2018
‘Deadwood’ Movie Starts Shooting With 12 Returning Cast Members & On...
Nov 05th 2018
First Trailer
Mar 21st 2019
Wow.
Mar 22nd 2019
Deadwood: The Movie (2019) | Official Trailer
Apr 25th 2019
The best part of this movie is it really puts the Thrones "films" to sha...
Jun 01st 2019
I was underwhelmed, felt blocky... might be on me
Jun 04th 2019

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 11:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Reminds me I still need to see the show"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-13-16 11:13 AM by Deebot

I missed out on this during the glory days of HBO when I was focused on Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Curb, etc.

j0510
2315 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 07:49 PM

2. "Deadwood movie finally greenlit, HBO confirms at last"
In response to Reply # 0

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/25/deadwood-movie-2/

Deadwood movie finally greenlit, HBO confirms at last
JAMES HIBBERD July 25, 2018 at 12:05 PM EDT

The Deadwood movie is expected to start shooting this fall.

That’s straight from HBO’s programming president Casey Bloys, who answered a question about the long-long-long awaited follow-up and conclusion to the network’s prematurely canceled 2004 Western series.

“I can finally-finally confirm we are greenlit on Deadwood movie … it will shoot in October,” Bloys said.

Bloys announced the news at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Wednesday. The executive noted it was a “logistical nightmare” to get the ensemble cast — led by Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane — back together.

“We’ve been asked the Deadwood question for 11 consecutive years,” joked HBO corporate communications chief Quentin Schaffer.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Very hopeful, very skeptical"
In response to Reply # 0

Already lost Cy, and it's been so, so long. I suppose most of the primary actors haven't aged in obvious ways, but do they just jump to the town being fully incorporated into the state? They can't just pick up where they left off. It's also been a while since Milch had a series, or proved himself capable of making something as obnoxiously cool as Deadwood was.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

j0510
2315 posts
Mon Nov-05-18 04:25 PM

4. "‘Deadwood’ Movie Starts Shooting With 12 Returning Cast Members & On..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://deadline.com/2018/11/deadwood-movie-begins-production-hbo-david-milch-1202496154/

‘Deadwood’ Movie Starts Shooting With 12 Returning Cast Members & One New
by Patrick Hipes
November 5, 2018 9:24am

HBO Films’ long-in-the-works Deadwood movie has begun production 12 years after the end of the premium network’s Emmy-winning Western series from David Milch. Most of that original cast is returning for the film, which takes place 10 years after the events of the series that ran three seasons from 2004-2006.

Ian McShane (Al Swearengen), Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock), Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst) return from the original 36-episode run of the series from 2004-2006.

The film includes a new cast member, Jade Pettyjohn, who will play the character of Caroline. Her character info is under wraps, but the actor is next onscreen with Nicole Kidman in Karyn Kusama’s gritty cop drama Destroyer.

The plot, per HBO: The indelible characters of the series are reunited after 10 years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

Milch, the series creator, wrote the pic, which is being directed by Game of Thrones helmer Daniel Minahan. Milch, Carolyn Strauss, Minahan, Gregg Fienberg, Scott Stephens, McShane and Olyphant are executive producers.

The Deadwood series was nominated for 28 Emmys during its run, winning eight.

In July, HBO president Casey Bloys tipped an October production start for the film, and hinted at a possible spring 2019 debut. He called rustling up the original auspices for the movie “a logistical nightmare.” The network received a near-$4.2 million California Film & TV state tax credit for the production. The hardest part of getting the film up and running had been synching up the schedules of its large ensemble cast.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 04:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "First Trailer "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcftIUE6MQ

It's HAPPENING!!!!

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Fri Mar-22-19 01:23 PM

6. "Wow."
In response to Reply # 5

j0510
2315 posts
Thu Apr-25-19 07:58 PM

7. "Deadwood: The Movie (2019) | Official Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

Deadwood: The Movie (2019) | Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WrXmhvXTA

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 09:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "The best part of this movie is it really puts the Thrones "films" to sha..."
In response to Reply # 0

I couldn't think of a better way to word that, but considering all that was mounted against this thing - time, age, expectation, nostalgia and so on - Deadwood did in two hours what Thrones struggled to do in eight. It provided closure, offered fan service without sacrifice to narrative, and declined to finish a story no sane person should've ever tired of watching.

The Wire was the smartest show, Breaking Bad was the most suspenseful show, Game of Thrones was the most epic shocking show, but Deadwood was all and none of those things in equal measure from sentence to sentence. I'm a wreck, I want more. Hopefully Milch finds peace in having what likely will be his final statement on screen be a resoundingly successful and accomplished one.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 12:04 PM

9. "I was underwhelmed, felt blocky... might be on me"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll rewatch sometime but I was distracted it didn't capture me attention and it felt like they were out of stride/practice... maybe I just didn't really watch tho.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #706892 Previous topic | Next topic