Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #705391

Subject: "The Expanse (Season 1) (SyFy)" Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Dec-06-15 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Expanse (Season 1) (SyFy)"

Is anyone going to check this out? The first episode is online at syfy.com now. Debuts on SyFy December 14th. Seems pretty good so far and it looks expensive. The production values look pretty high for a SyFy show. Overall, the first episode was pretty good. It had everything I look for in a pilot. Compelling characters you want to learn more about and a story that's intriguing. Also, the episode ended in such a way, that compels you to watch the next episode. I'm all in for now. This would probably the first SyFy show I'd like since BSG.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm definitely going to check it out, looks interesting! Also going to..
Dec 06th 2015
Just watched the trailer
Dec 06th 2015
It was intriguing
Dec 07th 2015
^^^Up for Premiere
Dec 13th 2015
RE: The Expanse (Season 1) (SyFy)
Dec 17th 2015
just finished ep 3. very good so far. i read the book (the first
Dec 18th 2015
Finished all four episodes available online and on demand
Dec 19th 2015
Really good.
Dec 21st 2015
watched all 4 eps. this has been really good so far. i've also gone
Jan 02nd 2016
I'm so in
Jan 02nd 2016
been great so far.
Jan 02nd 2016
Episode 5: Back to the Butcher
Jan 05th 2016
i was liking dude when he was sonning the mormons who tried
Jan 14th 2016
Really enjoying this more than I thought
Jan 14th 2016
Episode 8: Salvage
Jan 25th 2016
One reason I like this show is the creole dialect
Jan 25th 2016
Just found this show, up to Ep 7. It's FIRE! Love it
Feb 01st 2016
renewed for a 13-episode 2nd season (swipe)
Feb 02nd 2016
No brainer renewal
Feb 02nd 2016
      and the story they have moving forward is a compelling one
Feb 02nd 2016
           i went in blind (never read the books) and it's amazing
Feb 08th 2016
Just caught the pilot this wknd...TJ will keep me watchin
Feb 08th 2016
Oh I'm okay w the first season
Feb 08th 2016

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Sun Dec-06-15 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm definitely going to check it out, looks interesting! Also going to.."
In response to Reply # 0

check out "Childhood's End" on Dec 14th as well!

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Dec-06-15 11:05 PM

2. "Just watched the trailer"
In response to Reply # 1

This looks good too.

http://www.syfy.com/childhoodsend

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-07-15 12:40 AM

3. "It was intriguing"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to watch it again because the first time I was mostly watching because it seemed just like an idea a co-worker was writing and he was nervous it was the same concept, which it wasn't. It was more like Life on Total Recall's Mars.

The storylines were solid enough and while I'm not a huge fan of Thomas Jane or Steven Strait, they held their own.

I cut the cord so I probably won't end up watching it until it hits Netflix but it was a good pilot.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Dec-13-15 07:52 PM

4. "^^^Up for Premiere"
In response to Reply # 0

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

funklectic
Member since May 04th 2005
471 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 01:16 PM

5. "RE: The Expanse (Season 1) (SyFy)"
In response to Reply # 0

Seen the first four episodes... gotta say its pretty damn good so far.
Feels good to have good Scifi back on the tube.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Fri Dec-18-15 11:15 PM

6. "just finished ep 3. very good so far. i read the book (the first "
In response to Reply # 0

book was free on the nook a couple years ago, but i forgot a lot of the plot.

this looks pretty dope. i agree that the production values are great. the no g shots in the beginning were beautiful.

lot of cool shit in this. great having a fairly hard sf show on tv. i was wondering how they were gonna pull off showing the Belters gravity-attenuated bodies.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Dec-19-15 08:52 PM

7. "Finished all four episodes available online and on demand"
In response to Reply # 0

This show is fiyah. Best SyFy show since BSG IMO. Episode 4 sets it off. Can't wait to see more.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-21-15 03:12 PM

8. "Really good. "
In response to Reply # 0

There's a lot going on and I love how they don't go out of their way to explain things (for example, the pill the Martian guy takes.)

The fourth episode flew by. Definitely in for this one.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 08:11 PM

9. "watched all 4 eps. this has been really good so far. i've also gone"
In response to Reply # 0

back and started re-reading the book, and the book was actually pretty well done. i must have been distracted when i read it the first time.

the adaption to screen has been done very well, imo.

eps 5 and 6 come out this week.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 08:29 PM

10. "I'm so in"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 10:16 PM

11. "been great so far."
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Jan-05-16 07:32 PM

12. "Episode 5: Back to the Butcher"
In response to Reply # 0

"Holden and the crew make a deal with an unlikely ally on Tycho station; at the same time, Miller’s obsession with conspiracy theories and the disappearance of Julie Mao continues to grow."

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:40 PM

13. "i was liking dude when he was sonning the mormons who tried"
In response to Reply # 12

to play him out. in ep 5, tho? not so much.

i've gone back and started rereading it. it's better than i remembered. i must have been mad busy first time around and just rushed through this.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 02:39 PM

14. "Really enjoying this more than I thought"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't too convinced at first but things started coming together on episode 3 .Caught up with episode 6 last night and with all the other shows on Holiday hiatus, The Expanse has been one of the best shows on TV. Thomas jane is fun to watch in this too.Different from what we usually see him in. I have a serious crush on Naomi.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 07:48 PM

15. "Episode 8: Salvage"
In response to Reply # 0

The crew of the Rocinante discovers a derelict vessel holding a secret that may destroy humankind. Holden and crew are led to Eros, where they finally cross paths with Miller, only to make a horrifying discovery. On Earth, Avasarala receives devastating news.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 08:56 PM

16. "One reason I like this show is the creole dialect"
In response to Reply # 0

some characters speak. It makes the world feel fully realized and "lived in". The attention to details makes this show an enjoyable watch.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/belter-creole-101

Belter Creole 101
BRYAN ENK Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:00

Boy … those Belters on The Expanse sure have a way with words, don't they?

Believe it or not, Belter slang — or, more officially, Belter Creole — isn't a completely made-up way of communicating. It's actually a mix of several Earth languages spoken by the original settlers in the Asteroid Belt colonies — very appropriate, as the Belt is a melting pot of several different races, customs and backgrounds.

Here are just a few of the Belter words and phrases that we've heard on The Expanse so far. You can find a more in-depth list of the terms created by linguist Nick Farmer at The Expanse Wikia.

"Beltalowda" - this means "us Belters," or "belonging to the Belters." For example, in Episode 1, the Gaunt Belter mentions "Owkwa beltalowda," meaning "Our water" (or, more literally, "Water belonging to the Belters").

"Beratna" - "brother," as said by the Angry Dockworker in Episode 3.

"Copeng" - "friend," as the Bouillotte Dealer refers to Miller in Episode 2.

"Ereluf" - "air," as first mentioned by the Gaunt Belter in Episode 1.

"Imbobo" - "holes," as first mentioned by the Gaunt Belter in Episode 1.

"Inyalowda" - inners/non-believers, as mentioned by the Boillotte Dealer in Episode 2.

"Ke" - this is how you form a "yes" or "no" question. For example, Paj asks "Am I smelling a wager, ke?" in Episode 1 before he loses his arm.

"Kowmang" - "everyone", as said by the Angry Dockworker in Episode 3 ("Komang gotta die sometime").

"Owkwa" - "water," as first mentioned by the Gaunt Belter in Episode 1.

"Pashang" = an expletive, from Chinese 爬上, "to mount." In Episode 5, Gia says to Miller, "Pashang fong, zakomang," to which he replies, "Yeah? How much?" Sassy!

"Sa-Sa" - "to know." There are variations of this, such as "Sabe" ("you know") and "Sabez" ("I know"). In Episode 4, the Gambler tells Miller, "He ain't dead yet, sabez."

"Towchu" - "slaves," as first mentioned by the Gaunt Belter in Episode 1.

"Welwala" - a Belter obsessed with the inner planets, or, less literally, a "traitor to your people," as the Gaunt Belter calls Miller in Episode 1.

Hand gestures are also essential to Belter communication, as they evolved from the days of wearing space suits with poor comms during the early settler days. In Episode 3, Gia incorporates very distinct and strong gestures as she teaches Havelock the phrase, "Unte kowlting gut, to pochuye ke?" ("And everything will be okay, understand?")

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 11:22 AM

17. "Just found this show, up to Ep 7. It's FIRE! Love it"
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 03:14 AM

18. "renewed for a 13-episode 2nd season (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-expanse-renewed-season-2-syfy-1201674459.

‘The Expanse’ Renewed For Season 2 By Syfy

Four episodes into its freshman run, Syfy’s space drama series The Expanse has been renewed for a second season. The network has increased the order — from 10 episodes in Season 1 to 13 in Season 2, which will air in early 2017.

The Expanse marked the first TV series from Alcon Television Group, which finances and produces it. Because of the long lead time and extensive special effects required, Alcon had commissioned scripts and had started prep work on Season 2 even before the series’ November debut.

“The Expanse is firing on all cylinders creatively, building a passionate fan base among viewers and critics alike, and delivering on Syfy’s promise of smart, provocative science fiction entertainment,” said Dave Howe, President, Syfy and Chiller.

Image (3) syfy1__130821213410.jpg for post 721977The Expanse got off to a strong multi-platform start. The premiere episode, made available on VOD, TV Everywhere and digital platforms on November 23, three weeks ahead of its linear debut on the network, has been sampled by 4.5 million viewers. The series’ linear viewership has been OK, not great — 1.6 million Live+3 viewers on average for the first three episodes. For comparison, Syfy drama Defiance averaged almost 2 million viewers (L3) for its most recent third season before being canceled.

Set 200 years in the future, The Expanse, based on the bestselling book series, follows the case of a missing young woman that brings a hardened detective (Thomas Jane) and a rogue ship’s captain (Steven Strait) together in a race across the solar system that will expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

The series, from Alcon and the Sean Daniel Co., returns with new episodes January 5. Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children Of Men, Iron Man) serve as writers, executive producers and showrunners. Executive producer Naren Shankar (Farscape) is showrunner. Alcon co-founders and co-CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson serve as executive producers along with former president of Alcon Television Sharon Hall. Alcon Television executive Ben Roberts serves as co-producer. Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company are executive producers. Ben Cook serves as a producer.
---

V.

---

DROkayplayer™

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 07:23 PM

19. "No brainer renewal"
In response to Reply # 18

Easily the best SyFy show since BSG. I love the world building and pretty much all the characters are interesting. I want to know where the story goes.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 08:24 PM

20. "and the story they have moving forward is a compelling one"
In response to Reply # 19

though even as someone who has known what was coming i've enjoyed the series incredibly because it's so well executed.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Mon Feb-08-16 03:44 AM

21. "i went in blind (never read the books) and it's amazing"
In response to Reply # 20

didn't think SyFy still had it in em but man, this shit was not only gorgeous to watch and excellently acted, but altogether disturbing. i still have no idea what the fuck is grabbing and gobbling folks up and how Julie is central to it. but holy shit i wanna find out.

V.

---

DROkayplayer™

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Feb-08-16 11:31 AM

22. "Just caught the pilot this wknd...TJ will keep me watchin"
In response to Reply # 0

Not a fan of that XO so far tho

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Feb-08-16 11:46 PM

23. "Oh I'm okay w the first season"
In response to Reply # 0

Will be watching the second

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #705391 Previous topic | Next topic