Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702641

Subject: "The Perfect Guy (Rosenthal, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 08:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Perfect Guy (Rosenthal, 2015)"

#Blackfilmsmatter

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How was it?
Sep 12th 2015
man, i aint going to see that shit.
Sep 12th 2015
      #NightDoggFilmsMatter
Sep 12th 2015
at times cheesy and predictable
Sep 12th 2015
My wife saw it (I didn't)
Sep 12th 2015
seent it
Sep 14th 2015
Very predictable but still very entertaining...
Sep 15th 2015
It's exactly what it looks like.
Sep 15th 2015
i have to agree here
Sep 15th 2015
Lol @ write what you think it's about.
Sep 16th 2015
Looks like a sequel to that idris and taraji movie
Sep 15th 2015
yeah, like the way Mac and Me is a sequel to E.T.
Sep 15th 2015
      ^^^extremely underrated reply
Sep 21st 2015
The main scene that stood out to me
Sep 16th 2015
thought it was fine
Sep 21st 2015

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "How was it?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was going to try to get to it this weekend.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 12:46 PM

2. "man, i aint going to see that shit. "
In response to Reply # 1

since the baby, i'm down to one movie a month, if i'm lucky. i'm going to see night dogg joint and that's about it.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 01:35 PM

3. "#NightDoggFilmsMatter"
In response to Reply # 2

Haha, understood.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 07:51 PM

4. "at times cheesy and predictable"
In response to Reply # 0

wasn't terrible though

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 11:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "My wife saw it (I didn't)"
In response to Reply # 0

She said it was ok, but highly predictable.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Sep-14-15 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "seent it"
In response to Reply # 0

....I thought it was VERY real with the overall theme and certain unsaid points in the film, but yeah, cheesy and predictable too....my friend thought it was really good though

I JUST realized that was "tara" from the vampire joint as her homegirl...LOL...it was nice to see the lady from Cold Case in there too

Is Sanaa getting FINER?? Is that even possible?

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 12:00 AM

7. "Very predictable but still very entertaining... "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-15-15 12:15 AM by Sarah_Bellum

Ealy was super duper fine throughout and plays a unhinged yet stone faced stalker extremely well.
This movie doesn't break any molds but I was thoroughly entertained. I had to restrain myself from yelling "girl don't go in there" at the screen twice, which is always a good sign for the genre. There could have been more sex scenes for an erotic thriller and Carter could have been even more out there as a creepy stalker but I scare easy, so it was just thrilling enough for me.
It was nice to see a black thriller.

DJTB YOMM

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 03:58 AM

8. "It's exactly what it looks like. "
In response to Reply # 0

Never watch the movie, write how you think it goes and it'll be that. You'll be right.

It's not TERRIBLE. But it's also not good or surprising or worth watching.

It's a high end Lifetime movie that you'll forget as soon as you change the channel.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 08:59 AM

9. "i have to agree here"
In response to Reply # 8

>

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 11:46 AM

12. "Lol @ write what you think it's about."
In response to Reply # 8

From the jump I figured it was a paint by numbers type of flick. It's something I'd catch on TV before I spend money at a theater to watch.

Since 1976

Neez
Member since May 02nd 2013
1083 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 11:06 AM

10. "Looks like a sequel to that idris and taraji movie"
In response to Reply # 0

_

Basaglia
49463 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 11:20 AM

11. "yeah, like the way Mac and Me is a sequel to E.T. "
In response to Reply # 10

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Mon Sep-21-15 01:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "^^^extremely underrated reply"
In response to Reply # 11

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:22 PM

13. "The main scene that stood out to me"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-16-15 04:35 PM by Sarah_Bellum

was the tooth brush and wine glass scene. Both of those made me squirm in my seat. The way Carter took such perverse pleasure in that toothbrush.... I can't. Toothbrushes are so vulnerable. They go in your mouth every day and you leave them behind trusting that no one will break the social contract by touching them. Then he sucked on that thing like a tootsie roll pop and his eyes rolled in the back of his head. It was so simple but it gave me the willies. I actually screamed at the screen "lawd, not the tooth brush!"
Ealy can't play a subtle villain, only perverse evil without any layers , a la For Colored Girls. With very little back story on how he became psycho his character lacked depth.

Also, Morris playing 35?!?! Black don't crack but let's not get ridiculous. I didn't care much about what happened to his character because they didn't build him up enough for me to care. Overall the story arch was a way too fast and there wasn't much build up between Carter as the perfect guy and him as a complete psycho. Drawing that transition out could have made the whole thing a little less hammy and more believable but maybe the sudden turn was to show he only had a teaspoon of "act right" in total, which was used up pretty fast. I wish I would have seen more of the consequences in a Leah's life. They showed a little but not enough. Sanaa did well with what she had to work with. She came off as pretty well balanced even in the face of a psycho, which is a feat for a black woman in any movie. Roc as her dad made my day! I wanted to see more of him. Love that dude.
I loved the way the movie looked. It was somewhat dark but warm and super clear, if that makes sense. I liked the house Leah lived in and how the glass ramped up the her vulnerability.

The choice for Carters apartment was weird to me. It was a cliched, like most of the movie, but not tied to the actual character of carter. My guess is budget constraints led to him living in a grungy empty warehouse. Also, Carter didn't seem like a bashment Reggae type dude to me, so I found that a little odd. It seems like someone said reggae=sexy so let's put it in there. Makes me wonder if it was filmed in the same place as Carter's apt for budget.

I'm just happy that this goes to prove my theory never trust a dude in a charger or challenger from the 60's or 70's.

The movie was 100% predictable except for the cat sitting part. Kinda Lifetime-ish but I liked it, though I'm unabashedly Ealy biased. Good date movie or girls night out movie.

DJTB YOMM

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon Sep-21-15 05:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "thought it was fine"
In response to Reply # 0

predictable, expected formula for the ending.

i liked the tough guy cop.

the only real issue i had was how *spoiler* sanaa was counter-spying on ealy in her car. she was parked on the corner right outside his lair and he ain't even notice her cadillac when he drove by? like, you know, the same car he'd been stalking and leaving roses and hallmark cards on?

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702641 Previous topic | Next topic