Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701846

Subject: "A Serious Man (The Coen Brothers, 2009)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Aug-15-15 09:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"A Serious Man (The Coen Brothers, 2009)"
Sat Aug-15-15 09:21 PM by obsidianchrysalis

If there's another post about this movie, please link to it here.

Finally caught this movie and really enjoyed it. It's a dramedy with most of the comedy coming from the characters around the main character, Larry Gopnik (Michael Stuhlbarg).

I won't spoil much of the movie, but Larry's life is falling apart all around him throughout the movie to an extreme that all you can do is laugh at the absurdity of how helpless and clueless everyone around him and Larry's lack of ability to change any of it.

If you've seen this, give your take on the ending. It was interesting, but I couldn't quite make out what was happening.

It's definitely worth watching if you have a spare hour and change to spend.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the big storm coming
Aug 16th 2015
Very Good Movie
Aug 26th 2015
the opening prologue was haunting imo
Aug 26th 2015
that flick had an aura all its own
Aug 29th 2015
Am i missing something?
Aug 30th 2015
That's what I always assumed
Aug 30th 2015
Weird little movie but I dug it
Aug 30th 2015

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Aug-16-15 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the big storm coming"
In response to Reply # 0

The whole movie, if i remember, is the big expectation of the big storm brewing, bad things coming, and in the end don't you literally see the storm coming?

This was also their most "Jewish" movie. I need to see it again, there was probably a lot that I missed and also a lot that I didn't get because there are plenty of references/allusions steeped in the culture.

I really liked it though. After "O Brother" it seemed like their movies started shifting so that they were far less about plot and more about character development, quirky moments and subtext. Very, very minimalist movies. This moreso than their others.

Having said all that, one of my favorite lines from this, and maybe one of my favorite lines from one of their movies in general was the random ass "BUT I DON'T WANT SANTANA ABRAXAS! I'VE JUST BEEN IN A HORRIBLE ACCIDENT!!!" I don't know why, but that line still cracks me up.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 07:59 PM

2. "Very Good Movie"
In response to Reply # 0

of course I am biased because I enjoy all of their movies. love sy ableman, love the Asian student and his father, the uncle. Probably in the top half of their movies for me.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 10:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "the opening prologue was haunting imo"
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Aug-29-15 10:59 PM

4. "that flick had an aura all its own"
In response to Reply # 0

felt like the impending storm was the whole world coming to an end.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sun Aug-30-15 01:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Am i missing something?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-30-15 01:14 AM by denny

Isn't the storm at the end just a continuation of the whole 'book of job' re-telling? Ie The storm is gonna kill his kid. I feel like this is so obvious that I MUST be wrong somehow. I barely know anything about the bible.....but the book of job is pretty common knowledge.

In anycase....one of my Coen faves. Perhaps the best depiction of a marijuana high ever put to film.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Aug-30-15 08:01 AM

6. "That's what I always assumed"
In response to Reply # 5

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Aug-30-15 08:03 AM

7. "Weird little movie but I dug it"
In response to Reply # 0

Michael Stuhlbarg was so damn good in this.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701846 Previous topic | Next topic