Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #699028

Subject: "Love & Mercy (Pohlad, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 09:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Love & Mercy (Pohlad, 2015)"

Really good. Much better than most biopics, due to the unconventional structure, the sharp dialogue, the sound mixing (this better get an Oscar nom), and the simply outstanding work done by Dano and Cusack.

If you're looking for something outside of the usual summer studio fare, this is a great choice.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is a damn near must-see for anyone who loves Pet Sounds...
Jun 08th 2015
That stuff all actually happened tho
Mar 11th 2016
RE: Love & Mercy (Pohlad, 2015)
Jun 19th 2015
Awesome movie. Dano and Cusack were amazing.
Mar 11th 2016

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 07:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is a damn near must-see for anyone who loves Pet Sounds..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-08-15 08:01 AM by The Analyst

because a fairly significant amount of Dano's screen time involves him writing and recording Pet Sounds and parts of what would have been SMiLE, including "Good Vibrations." I found all of those scenes to be extremely watchable.

With that said, I thought that it had an almost excessive reverence for Brian Wilson, which I guess isn't uncommon for biopics but it was still a little overboard in places. (For example, there's a title card at the end saying something like 'Pet Sounds is now regarded as one of the best albums of all time and Wilson has finally claimed his place in history as one of the true geniuses of pop music.') There are snatches of dialog like "Paul McCartney said 'God Only Knows' is the greatest song ever written!" and scenes of musicians from The Wrecking Crew telling Wilson how much of a genius he is ("Phil Spector's got NOTHING on you, kid").

The other byproduct of that is that the malevolent doctor/guardian character played by Paul Giamatti is very one-dimensional as the villain.

But, overall I agree with Frank that Dano and Cusasck are both really good and the music scenes are great. If you don't catch it in theaters, definitely worth a watch when it gets to Netflix/HBO.

----

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "That stuff all actually happened tho"
In response to Reply # 1

>(For
>example, there's a title card at the end saying something like
>'Pet Sounds is now regarded as one of the best albums of all
>time and Wilson has finally claimed his place in history as
>one of the true geniuses of pop music.') There are snatches of
>dialog like "Paul McCartney said 'God Only Knows' is the
>greatest song ever written!" and scenes of musicians from The
>Wrecking Crew telling Wilson how much of a genius he is ("Phil
>Spector's got NOTHING on you, kid").

Macca really did say that and the conversation with Hal Blaine (WC drummer) actually occurred as depicted, confirmed by Blaine himself

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Travis Holden
Member since Feb 15th 2007
240 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Love & Mercy (Pohlad, 2015)"
In response to Reply # 0

Saw this the other night and found it excellent; Dano especially killed it.

I think the one writer (Overman, I believe) took the structure of his Dylan pic, I'm Not There, and improved on it and made it lucid for the average viewer, but still provided these great reflections of two distinct periods in Brian Wilson's life. It bypassed the cradle to the grave cliche, and it worked well in my opinion.

I also found it interesting that during Dr. Eugene Landy's tenure, Wilson released his first solo album featuring the song from which the film's title derives. Throughout his life (though not exclusively) the guy was pressured/bullied into making brilliant music, first by his father, then this controversial doctor.

---
"Every Golden Age is as much an act of disregard as it is of felicity."

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Awesome movie. Dano and Cusack were amazing."
In response to Reply # 0

And the actors were somehow able to reproduce the playfulness and cohesion of the band in studio

So good.

Cusack's tardive dyskinesia was spot on too.

So fucking good.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #699028 Previous topic | Next topic