Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #697381

Subject: "Sense8 Series on Netflix (Wachowskis, Straczynski)" Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu May-07-15 02:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sense8 Series on Netflix (Wachowskis, Straczynski)"

Trailer is up. Looks good.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/sense8-trailer-netflix-wachowskis-1201422182/

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The synopsis sounds interesting.
May 07th 2015
speaking of, Animatrix on Netflix too
May 11th 2015
Pumped about this one.
May 11th 2015
Kinda hype for this.
Jun 03rd 2015
wachowski bro...siblings? no thx.
Jun 04th 2015
this look like some shit. like a bad anime concept.
Jun 04th 2015
has anyone watched it yet?
Jun 04th 2015
The Wachowskis’ New Netflix Drama Is Gloriously, Terribly Insane-swipe
Jun 04th 2015
Really? I gotta wade through two paragraphs of his typographic jizz
Jun 04th 2015
      I skimmed and caught these two major points....
Jun 04th 2015
Here's a slightly more optimistic review
Jun 04th 2015
Van Damn vs. Bat Van.
Jun 05th 2015
EPISODE 01 Limbic Resonance
Jun 05th 2015
The Chicago scenes remind me of BOSS.
Jun 05th 2015
I'd complain about shows in Detroit shooting this way
Jun 07th 2015
this shit fucking sucks. wachowskis fell the fuck off.
Jun 07th 2015
      RE: this shit fucking sucks. wachowskis fell the fuck off.
Jun 07th 2015
EPISODE 02 I Am Also a We
Jun 05th 2015
EPISODE 03 Smart Money Is on the Skinny Bitch
Jun 05th 2015
workthru the strangeness, sentimentality & cliches of the 1st 2eps
Jun 07th 2015
Eh.
Jun 07th 2015
It's early yet.
Jun 10th 2015
this is where it got interesting for me
Jun 09th 2015
EPISODE 04 What’s Going On?
Jun 05th 2015
Yup, shit is dope.
Jun 07th 2015
Can we agree that Felix, the safe cracker's friend
Jun 08th 2015
hated the ending.
Jun 08th 2015
Agreed. The ending didn't work for me either.
Jun 10th 2015
up to here for now
Jun 09th 2015
This didn't quite do it for me.
Jun 10th 2015
      This is how I feel.
Jun 11th 2015
EPISODE 05 Art Is Like Religion
Jun 05th 2015
EPISODE 06 Demons
Jun 05th 2015
some predictions
Jun 07th 2015
I thought I was the only one.
Jun 10th 2015
Damn I was off, lol (spoilerish)
Jun 11th 2015
RE: EPISODE 06 Demons AKA The Orgy Episode
Jun 13th 2015
      ^^^^^^^^^
Jun 18th 2015
How did The Wachowskis grow up in South Side Chicago and manage
Jun 06th 2015
uhh all the characters are bordering on cliches
Jun 07th 2015
      they speaking english cause its for america
Jun 07th 2015
           I would have preferred subtitles.
Jun 07th 2015
                Hitfix explained why everyone speaks English
Jun 07th 2015
                     Good shit.
Jun 09th 2015
                     i thought this was understood for most films
Aug 14th 2015
EP 7
Jun 07th 2015
EP 8
Jun 07th 2015
EP 9
Jun 07th 2015
It's a bit too melodramatic and sentimental at times
Jun 07th 2015
lord yes.
Jun 12th 2015
This episode was especially melodramatic
Jun 13th 2015
Hope this is as bad as it gets
Jun 21st 2015
EP 10
Jun 07th 2015
good ass episode
Jun 07th 2015
I'm just trudging along.
Jun 18th 2015
EP 11
Jun 07th 2015
Hot Fiyah
Jun 13th 2015
EP 12
Jun 07th 2015
well, in the end it's just good / enjoyable (Spoilers)
Jun 08th 2015
      lawd yes.
Jun 11th 2015
      yeah it was just okay
Jun 15th 2015
I don't konw how y'all are mainlining this.
Jun 08th 2015
I was bored as shit. Burnt out from grad school and writing
Jun 08th 2015
      I'm super impressed.
Jun 09th 2015
Can we talk about how Netflix obviously has NO faith in this show?
Jun 12th 2015
which is crazy cause it looked expensive as fuck to make
Jun 12th 2015
RE: Can we talk about how Netflix obviously has NO faith in this show?
Jun 12th 2015
Jun 16th 2015
Jun 16th 2015
OITNB is a binge show though...
Jun 18th 2015
I'm up to ep 6.So far I dig it.
Jun 13th 2015
RE: I'm up to ep 6.So far I dig it.
Jun 13th 2015
      RE: I'm up to ep 6.So far I dig it.
Jun 13th 2015
some thoughts after just finishing the season (spoiler free)
Jun 16th 2015
This
Jun 16th 2015
      Kinda like Crash.
Jun 16th 2015
           Yeah, I don't think I'm up for season 2. :/
Jun 26th 2015
For me, the show was entertaining.
Jun 16th 2015
I agree with most of this
Jun 23rd 2015
i wasn't feeling it
Aug 14th 2015
Big Shakeup in Season 2 (SWIPE)
Apr 26th 2016
Well, that sucks. He was my favorite part of the show
Apr 28th 2016
      Yep, same. This is concerning...
Apr 29th 2016
off topic but...
Apr 28th 2016

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu May-07-15 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The synopsis sounds interesting."
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "speaking of, Animatrix on Netflix too"
In response to Reply # 0

Really dug those.

https://digife.com

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Mon May-11-15 12:54 PM

3. "Pumped about this one."
In response to Reply # 0

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 10:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Kinda hype for this. "
In response to Reply # 0

tingum
Member since Apr 07th 2007
662 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 04:30 AM

5. "wachowski bro...siblings? no thx."
In response to Reply # 0

-----

god blessin all the trap niggas.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85111 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 08:01 AM

6. "this look like some shit. like a bad anime concept."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5182 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 02:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "has anyone watched it yet? "
In response to Reply # 0

it keeps poping up in my nextflix but I'm scared to take a dive and watch.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

rdhull
Charter member
33144 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 02:46 PM

8. "The Wachowskis’ New Netflix Drama Is Gloriously, Terribly Insane-swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/8-is-enough-the-wachowskis-new-netflix-drama-is-gloriously-terribly-insane/?ex_cid=GrantlandFB

‘8’ Is Enough: The Wachowskis’ New Netflix Drama Is Gloriously, Terribly Insane

Here’s something no one wants to admit: TV is safe. It risks little, it discomfits few. From the fetid swamps of TLC to the rarefied air of HBO, the budgets (and the coverage!) may have changed, but television’s eternal formula has mostly stayed the same. The best series in any era endeavor to create likable, credible characters and then dangle them like yo-yos above a deep ravine of terror and change. Sometimes the ravine looks like a chocolate factory, other times it looks like an ice zombie apocalypse. Either way, TV always returns to the same beats, promising peril while guaranteeing refuge.1 It makes sense: Television is piped directly to us. It greets us in our homes, it snuggles up beside us on the couch. Broken off into episodes to be snacked upon or massed together into binge-able seasons, TV is, by nature, digestible. Even when it unsettles, it finds a way to nourish.

This isn’t a criticism per se. Consistency and comfort have their value, in art as in life. One of the greatest things about television as a medium is that its best practitioners are able to reshuffle the deck in ways that delight and surprise. Even Mad Men, for all of its emotional BASE jumping and writerly flourish, was built upon the sturdy, accumulated bones of decades of soap operas, antihero dramas, and office comedies. It didn’t quack like a duck, but it often moved like one.

I’m as enamored of this creative sleight-of-hand as I am of the shows that result from it. I find it thrilling how the slow and languorous Rectify and the gleefully manic Better Call Saul emerge from an identical Final Draft template, how both CBS’s underrated Mom and FX’s underseen You’re the Worst are able to squeeze their dissimilar points of view into the same 22 minutes. (Perhaps this also explains my affection for Food Network’s Chopped, another high-profile example of talented people forced to make do with precious few ingredients and even less time.) TV remains as much about ingenuity as it does about invention. Knowing the trick only increases my appreciation of the magic.

But as the ruddy glow of TV’s recent Golden Age begins to fade, I can’t help but wonder — as Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner did just a few months ago — is that all there is? Many people have compared the first decade of the 21st century on the small screen to what happened on the big one in the 1970s, as idiosyncratic auteurs wrested control from their risk-averse studio masters.2 But The Godfather and The French Connection weren’t wholly original; rather, like The Sopranos and The Shield, they were radical reinventions of preexisting formats. Half of the films’ appeal came from the way they embraced our expectations; the other half came from the way they noisily subverted them. To focus only on these blockbusters ignores the less populist but no less influential work of that decade: avant-garde filmmakers like Luis Buñuel, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, and Jean-Luc Godard didn’t just challenge the way cinematic stories were told; they challenged the very nature of story itself. TV, by contrast, has had no such experimental phase. Louie, I suppose, comes close with its auteurist flights of fancy. But even that, eventually, comes back to diarrhea jokes. For the most part, television seems content to continually push the envelope but never quite tear it open. In other words, Don Draper will go see I Am Curious (Yellow). But in the nearly half-century since that movie was released, TV has shown no interest in making its own.

Sense8, which premieres this Friday on Netflix, is not that show — but, my goodness, does it aim to be. Created by the Wachowskis (The Matrix — and, deep breath — Jupiter Ascending) along with Babylon 5’s J. Michael Straczynski, it is a gargantuan feat of both creativity and capitalism: Its narrative spans eight cities and its production budget permitted travel to all of them. The story of an octet of adult telepaths linked by magical abilities and haunted by visions of Sayid from Lost, Sense8 does not look, feel, or sound like anything else on TV. In the three episodes provided to critics, the series wrestles nobly with issues ranging from transphobia to gang violence and veers madly from soggy melodrama to charlied-up wuxia. Scenes and styles bleed into each other like watercolors. Attempting to describe the scope of the story runs the risk of collapsing into gibberish. There are drug-smoking Icelandic DJs and underground Korean fight clubs. A colostomy bag is tossed onto a table. A well-lubed dildo is dropped onto the floor. Sense8 is utterly sui generis.

It is also, I’m sorry to say, almost entirely terrible. From the opening moments, in which a heroin-ravaged telepath named Angel (Daryl Hannah) “gives birth”3 to the aforementioned eight baby mentalists across the globe and then blows her brains out with a pistol to avoid the clutches of a villain named — no joke — “Mr. Whispers,” Sense8 demands utter fealty to its insanity. Which I appreciate as far as it goes. The problem is that Sense8 fails to buttress that insanity with anything remotely resembling coherence or, in fact, entertainment. The eight different locales — Chicago, San Francisco, Nairobi, Seoul, Mumbai, London, Berlin, and Mexico City — look terrific, but are little more than vivid dioramas for the Wachowskis to populate with their usual hobbyhorses: explicit lesbian sex (San Francisco), transformative raves (London), kick-punching women (Seoul), car crashes (everywhere), unexpected messiahs (everywhere). The siblings, aided and abetted by frequent collaborators James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) and Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run), are so enthralled by their personal interests that they appear to have forgotten entirely about ours. Three hours in, it’s not at all clear just what any of the eight baby brainiacs — who count a Kenyan bus driver and a German safecracker among their number — can do, other than complain about headaches and have visions of each other in awkward moments. Oh, there is one other thing: They all appear to be under surveillance by Naveen Andrews’s Jonas, a shadowy senior sensate who wanders aimlessly through the narrative like a narcoleptic in an art museum.

Worse, it’s not clear why they do anything.4 The majority of the protagonists are trapped in utterly banal circumstances — disappointed dads, sick moms — that could be addressed with basic therapy instead of advanced telepathy. Characters natter on about “limbic resonance” and “eco-biological synaptic network,” smoke copious amounts of DMT, and are threatened with lobotomy. And yet the bulk of them remain painfully slight. Jamie Clayton’s Nomi, a transgender “hacktivist” learning to love herself, has the sole emotional story line. And Miguel Ángel Silvestre, as Lito, a closeted Mexican action star, has the only truly engaging one, thanks primarily to the comic brightness supplied by his costars Alfonso Herrera (as Lito’s lover) and Eréndira Ibarra (as his eager beard). Everything else drips with the gloppy solemnity of a college stoner telling you about his righteous dream. For all of its high-flying ideas, Sense8 is remarkably leaden. It’s as if the Wachowskis passed over both the red pill and the blue pill in favor of the one marked “Ambien.”

But while I don’t come to praise Sense8 — clearly! — I have no interest in burying it. Sense8 is bad in a way that feels entirely fresh. Its untamed ego is inseparable from its wild imagination. This distinction matters. Rather than look at Netflix’s considerable investment in Sense8 as an act of arrogance (“We can make anything!”) or folly (“With anyone!”), I choose to consider it through a much more optimistic lens. If Netflix and its cash-rich peers, including Amazon and Hulu, truly want to upend 75 years of television business as usual, then why have they spent so much time slavishly re-creating it? Extending Longmire, rebooting Full House, investing money in old hands and shaky ideas — all of this may be reassuring to investors, but it’s hardly inspiring to viewers. There’s a reason why many of the biggest critical successes to emerge from television 2.0 — like Amazon’s Transparent and Vimeo’s High Maintenance — feel completely distinct from anything on broadcast or cable. And Sense8 feels completely distinct, full stop. There’s a raw, wheedling humanity just beneath the show’s demented surface that deserves our respect, if not our acclaim. It has no spoon. Consuming it is messy, but not at all familiar.

Which is to say there are far worse ways for Netflix to spend its billions. And though the already-wealthy Wachowskis are far from the ideal beneficiaries of this largesse — why not blank-check worthier weirdos like Shane Carruth, Miranda July, or Tsai Ming-liang? — their refusal to play by anyone’s rules but their own makes them strangely important figures in television’s bold, uncertain future. On a daily basis I want to watch good TV. But in the long term I want TV to aspire to greatness — and that will entail taking some wild leaps and enduring some truly spectacular falls. The worst thing you can say about the majority of television is that you can see everything coming from a million miles away. The best thing I can say about Sense8 is that I have no idea what it was I just saw.

This post has been updated to correct an error in the display that erroneously identified the Wachowskis as Larry and Lana. They are Andy and Lana.

spades
44258 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 03:01 PM

9. "Really? I gotta wade through two paragraphs of his typographic jizz"
In response to Reply # 8

JUST to get to the ACTUAL review?

Nah-b. I don't trust.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 03:22 PM

10. "I skimmed and caught these two major points...."
In response to Reply # 9

-it aims at being the next great show
-it's also almost entirely terrible

I stopped there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 03:29 PM

11. "Here's a slightly more optimistic review"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-netflixs-sense8-makes-no-sense-at-first-but-will-it-by-binges-end

Review: Netflix's 'Sense8' makes no sense at first, but will it by binge's end?

The Wachowskis and 'Babylon 5' creator J. Michael Straczynski team up for a globe-spanning... something
By Alan Sepinwall @Sepinwall | Thursday, Jun 4, 2015 12:00 PM

"Sense8" is a show that could only exist on Netflix (or another streaming service like it), because no human would have the patience to watch it weekly.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Among its originals, Netflix has some great shows ("Orange Is the New Black" and "BoJack Horseman," to name two) and some lesser ones, but good or bad, the Netflix series only occasionally seem made with the Netflix distribution model in mind. Though they have serialized elements, most of them are structured in the exact same way as their counterparts that air in a traditional pattern on cable or broadcast TV. (Ditto most of Amazon's originals.) Previous attempts to design shows explicitly for the streaming/binge world — like Mitch Hurwitz's aborted plan to make "Arrested Development" season 4 viewable in any order — haven't worked out, and I'm still waiting for someone to find a way to explicitly configure their series so it wouldn't make sense to watch them any other way.

"Sense8" (whose first season debuts tonight at midnight Pacific) isn't quite that, in part because the three episodes I've seen don't necessarily promise a great experience by the time the season's done. But it's the closest I've seen so far, if only because it seems to have been made under the assumption that people will watch it in one burst, or not at all.

The show comes from a group of creators who have experience in redefining how we view entertainment. Back in the '90s, J. Michael Straczynski created the sci-fi epic "Babylon 5," one of the very first shows to employ the Novel For Television approach, where Straczynski had most of the series already mapped out(*) before he made a single episode. Here, he's partnered with the Wachowskis, who rewrote the visual language for action and science fiction with "The Matrix," and who have tried to experiment — with mixed degrees of creative and commercial success — with form and content with most of their ensuing films.

(*) Real life ultimately interfered with these plans, as always happens ("The Wire" also isn't exactly the story David Simon would have told under perfect circumstances). "Babylon 5" was ultimately a groundbreaker without being an influencer, since it's not widely known outside its circle of fiercely devoted fans. The people who would make intensely serialized shows in the '00s tend to credit other works as inspiration, but not "B5."

Together, Straczynski and the Wachowskis have teamed up to make a show about... well, I'm not entirely sure. There are eight central characters, scattered around the world — they live in Chicago, London, Nairobi, Seoul, Mexico City, Mumbai, Berlin, and San Francisco — each with their own separate narrative and problems, each essentially existing in a different storytelling genre, but all are connected... somehow. The show opens with a scene featuring its most recognizable actors, Daryl Hannah and Naveen Andrews (Sayid from "Lost"), having a largely incomprehensible conversation about the other eight, all of whom are linked by a “biological synaptic network.” As we bounce from character to character, there are occasional moments where one suddenly finds herself in the same room with another who should be thousands of miles away, or staring into the mirror to see another's reflection, or borrowing the skills of another member of the group (whose ranks include a cop, a safecracker, a mixed martial artist and a club DJ, among other jobs; the DJ'ing has yet to come in handy for someone else, but I have faith it will).

Is the other person really there? If one fights for another, are they taking over their body, or just somehow lending their skill? None of that is clear, because very little about the larger point of the show is. When the cop tells Andrews that he fears he's losing his mind, the most concrete thing Andrews tells him is, "No, it's just expanding."

In reviewing ABC's "The Whispers" the other day (which discussed "Sense8" in passing), Fienberg referred to the phenomenon of No Breadcrumbs TV, where creators assume their audience will be watching in chunks, if not all at once, and that the show therefore doesn't have to hold its viewers' hands to keep them following the story from episode to episode. That approach is much more valid with a Netflix show than it is with an ABC show at this point, and Straczynski and the Wachowskis seem determined to test just how much they can withhold from their audience before everyone loses patience, even if people can watch the whole season in a day. In the early going, at least, the show's larger story is complete gibberish.

The smaller stories are a mixed bag, but it's fun watching the creators try to mash together so many different genres and character types into the same show, so that we can bounce from a sex farce in Mexico City to a Bollywood marriage drama to a more personal drama involving a transgender woman (Jamie Clayton) and her girlfriend (Freema Agyeman) in San Francisco. Individually, some of the mini-shows are more engaging than others — Lana Wachowski is trans herself, and has worked queer and/or trans themes into a lot of her work(**), and there's a personal stamp on those scenes that isn't necessarily present, say, when we're following the safecracker (Max Riemelt) in Berlin. And the Mexico City scenes, involving a TV star (Miguel Ángel Silvestre) with a secret, are a relief because their lightness cuts through the pretensions of a series that — with its globe-spanning design(***) and love of philosophizing — often feels a half-step away from evoking the worst of Tim Kring on "Heroes" and "Touch." (Similarly, scenes involving Aml Ameen as a Nairobi commuter van driver can approach despair given the setting, yet are leavened by the fact that the van is named after, and decorated with images of, Jean Claude Van Damme.)

(**) As I understand it, Straczynski intended to have Delenn on "Babylon 5" start the series as a male alien (albeit played by a woman) and transform into a female alien after the first season, but abandoned the idea because the technology wasn't good enough at the time to make an actress sound convincingly male at the start. Both technically and in terms of larger cultural awareness of trans issues, that would have been much simpler to pull off today.

(***) Oddly, all the characters speak English in every setting, regardless of whom they're encountering. Straczynski told Fienberg (in an interview to be published later this week) that the approach is more or less like in "The Hunt for Red October," where we will all hear English when people are alone with their countrymen, but as the characters start to have more prolonged encounters, the Berlin safecracker might speak German in front of the confused Chicago cop. I suppose we should be thankful for one less thing to complicate a show that's already hard to follow by design, but given how comfortable other current dramas like "The Americans" are with extended subtitle sequences, it's the most retrograde element in a show that's otherwise pushing a lot of boundaries.

It helps that the Wachowskis, who directed the first three episodes (other directors will include their "Cloud Atlas" collaborator Tom Tykwer) have such great eyes. Even when I had little idea what was happening, and/or why I should be caring, "Sense8" is great to look at, and its palette shifts as we move from setting to setting and genre to genre. Whether they're reluctant to explain in dialogue exactly what's linking these people together, or simply have trouble articulating it in a way that makes any sense, they have no difficulty at all drawing those lines visually. There's a fight scene late in the third episode, involving one character somehow drawing on the skills of two of the others, that's both beautiful as a bit of action choreography and far clearer in conveying the connection between these strangers. The experience makes sense, even if the story doesn't quite.

"Sense8" has a lot on its mind, as the brief encounters between its leads quickly blur boundaries of nationality, gender and sexuality, among other heady topics. It's aiming for something big, and while these three episodes give me no idea if they can ultimately hit the mark, they're also more interesting than they have any right to be considering how incoherent so much of it is.

I wouldn't call "Sense8" the platonic ideal of a Netflix show, because there will be people who understandably give up at the end of the first episode (if not sooner) and warn everyone they know not to bother. But because it will be so easy to go on to the next episode, and the one after that, all the way to the end, I imagine it will engender a lot more patience (particularly among those who revere any or all of "Babylon 5," "Cloud Atlas" or the two "Matrix" sequels) than if it was HBO's new summer Sunday night drama.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

inpulse
5891 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 07:16 PM

12. "Van Damn vs. Bat Van."
In response to Reply # 0

Watched the first episode and liked it. Good setup and left me wanting more, but I'm not going to binge this one.

Looked great and sounded great even with my mediocre setup.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 10:50 PM

13. "EPISODE 01 Limbic Resonance"
In response to Reply # 0

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 11:04 PM

19. "The Chicago scenes remind me of BOSS."
In response to Reply # 13

In fact, every TV show that shoots in Chicago kinda shoots it the same, and I hate it. Plus the cops saying "Chiraq"? I know the name has been added to the national lexicon now...I get it, but really? I kinda cringed at that.

I'm waiting to see who they do this, but based off the trailer and the fact there were 8 main characters, I was hoping they'd take their time telling their stories. Introducing them all at once? Maybe it was just a bit much for me. I'm still locked in though.

Rjcc
Charter member
94997 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "I'd complain about shows in Detroit shooting this way"
In response to Reply # 19
Sun Jun-07-15 08:54 AM by Rjcc

but oddly the stuff set here usually doesn't shoot here, and I didn't watch that one cop show that got cancelled.

so really, they're just all using the same stock footage

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

BrooklynWHAT
85111 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 09:33 AM

33. "this shit fucking sucks. wachowskis fell the fuck off."
In response to Reply # 13

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8759 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 04:30 PM

36. "RE: this shit fucking sucks. wachowskis fell the fuck off."
In response to Reply # 33

For a Wachowski's show, it's jarring that it lacks style. Outside a handful of establishing shots, it looks like a network TV show on the CW.

The basic idea seems interesting, but judging from the first episode it isn't clear what the tone of the series is. (Edgy? Dreamlike type fantasy?)

Also, some of the dialogue is just laughably bad. That scene where the couple was verbally attacked by the women from Berkeley and the woman said, 'I'm crying because no one has ever defended me'. Like are you for real??!?

And I'm not sure what the deal is with the police team. First off, it doesn't seem realistic that a black cop would be that apathetic about helping a young black kid who was shot. (I didn't think of the 'white man saves the poor, impoverished kid sterotype until now.)

Also, wouldn't they have already known before driving to that hospital that the hospital wouldn't take the patient?

But there are some good points. The main concept seems interesting and the woman from Korea and the lesbian couple seem worth watching.

Hopefully, I'll get back to the series this week.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 10:51 PM

14. "EPISODE 02 I Am Also a We"
In response to Reply # 0

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 10:51 PM

15. "EPISODE 03 Smart Money Is on the Skinny Bitch"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 12:10 AM

21. "workthru the strangeness, sentimentality & cliches of the 1st 2eps"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun Jun-07-15 12:18 AM by astralblak

Shit gets good GOOD AS FUCK HERE.

the Wachoski's have always known how to shoot action and portray righteous violence. They have few equals in that territory and the climax in this episode is flames

They def also know how to smash so much conceptual and theoretical shit into scenes and motivations.

I'm in

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 11:00 AM

34. "Eh."

So we get to see how they'd use the powers of the other 7 at the end of this episode, and I'm kinda 'eh' on it. The fight scene in Nairobi paired up with ol' girl in the boxing ring? I guess I thought they'd learn how to access the power of the others on their own. But it seems like the events of both characters have to be happening at the same time.

spades
44258 posts
Wed Jun-10-15 05:27 PM

49. "It's early yet."
In response to Reply # 34

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Jun-09-15 10:40 AM

45. "this is where it got interesting for me"

woohoo!!!!
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 10:52 PM

16. "EPISODE 04 What’s Going On?"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 12:13 AM

22. "Yup, shit is dope. "
In response to Reply # 16

the Wach's have always been able to cling to western character and plots tropes and simultaneously subvert them

I think Longo said it in the Jupiter Ascending post (still ain't seen that) but we don't deserve them.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 11:50 AM

40. "Can we agree that Felix, the safe cracker's friend"

is essentially Ziggy. Dude is gonna get people killed being all Ziggy-like.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 10:33 PM

44. "hated the ending."

all of them singing?

And when the Indian girls sister walks in her singing and says "What's wrong with you? You were singing in English." So are we supposed to hear them in English but in reality they're speaking their native tongue?

spades
44258 posts
Wed Jun-10-15 05:29 PM

51. "Agreed. The ending didn't work for me either."
In response to Reply # 44
Wed Jun-10-15 05:30 PM by spades

Also, the idea that this Indian woman is fixing to turn down the PERFECT Indian suitor for some white crook is KINDA pissing me off.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Jun-09-15 10:41 AM

46. "up to here for now"

not bad
not bad atall
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

spades
44258 posts
Wed Jun-10-15 05:28 PM

50. "This didn't quite do it for me."

Too on the nose
Too sincere
just too much.

I'm still watching, overall, tho.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 05:08 PM

55. "This is how I feel."
In response to Reply # 50

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 10:53 PM

17. "EPISODE 05 Art Is Like Religion"
In response to Reply # 0

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 10:53 PM

18. "EPISODE 06 Demons"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 03:15 AM

30. "some predictions"
In response to Reply # 18
Sun Jun-07-15 03:16 AM by astralblak

Desi breezie marries "Mr. Right" and of course he's a capitalist psychopath who begins to physically abuse her. Moment eating her father's food before she walked in after wedding gave it away, along with scene of Ganesha followers posterizing him and his scumbag pops. ohh and I hate that she's falling for the German dude #reversebigotry

Incredible wife in 3.4 seconds Korean breezy won't do much time, bitch ass bother will step up and take blame. I hope she strangles her father to death after release

Cop boy's partner will reveal his self as gay during a stake out or some shit

Fine as hell Latin@ co-star with the mediocre face will fuck Gay Actor's man and they'll live in happy threesome ever after

Kenyan Van Damm is also gay, and will get lukemia daughter killed

Obviously German diamond thieves get caught up, skinny dude ends up murked

I have no predictions for Transgender Sensaite or Persian sensaite

spades
44258 posts
Wed Jun-10-15 06:21 PM

52. "I thought I was the only one."
In response to Reply # 30

>ohh and I hate that
>she's falling for the German dude #reversebigotry
>

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 01:27 AM

53. "Damn I was off, lol (spoilerish)"
In response to Reply # 30
Thu Jun-11-15 01:28 AM by astralblak

>Desi breezie marries "Mr. Right" and of course he's a
>capitalist psychopath who begins to physically abuse her.
>Moment eating her father's food before she walked in after
>wedding gave it away, along with scene of Ganesha followers
>posterizing him and his scumbag pops. ohh and I hate that
>she's falling for the German dude #reversebigotry
>
damn wrong as hell...

>Incredible wife in 3.4 seconds Korean breezy won't do much
>time, bitch ass bother will step up and take blame. I hope she
>strangles her father to death after release

well I was close here. almost, just reverse dad and bitch ass son

>Cop boy's partner will reveal his self as gay during a stake
>out or some shit

i'll stand by this. think the gym scene

>
>Fine as hell Latin@ co-star with the mediocre face will fuck
>Gay Actor's man and they'll live in happy threesome ever
>after
>

lofl. wrong, again

>Kenyan Van Damm is also gay, and will get lukemia daughter
>killed
>
wrong. Well I do still think he gay cause he seemed to be masturbating to the Van Damn movie when he was first driving the girl

>Obviously German diamond thieves get caught up, skinny dude
>ends up murked
>

almost, yeah....

>I have no predictions for Transgender Sensaite or Persian
>sensaite
>
>

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:35 PM

61. "RE: EPISODE 06 Demons AKA The Orgy Episode"
In response to Reply # 18

I'm all for sex scenes, but this was a little too much. It really didn't serve the plot at all. It seems like every episode has at least one sex scene but doesn't serve the plot any. I guess it's a silly complaint because 99% of sex scenes are to titillate and not advance the story, but considering this narrative meanders so much, to me, it's just more wasted time.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3561 posts
Thu Jun-18-15 07:57 AM

73. "^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 61

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jun-06-15 08:34 AM

20. "How did The Wachowskis grow up in South Side Chicago and manage"
In response to Reply # 0

to write dialogue and characters that seem to indicate they've never met any black people?

Not to say their character-building has ever been a strength but a few of these folks (particularly all the black peripheral ones) exist somewhere between archetype and stereotype.

That being said, there's some cool ideas dispersed throughout this mess so far.

I have enjoyed the first five or six eps more than say, House of Cards or The Leftovers.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 12:16 AM

23. "uhh all the characters are bordering on cliches"
In response to Reply # 20

the Gay Latin lover, the gays in SF, the THIRD WORLDNESS of Nairobi.

and why the hell is everyone speaking English. that bothers me more than any of the Black shit, BUT

non of it matters cause this shit is off the chain with how it owns its own ridiculousness.

BrooklynWHAT
85111 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 09:26 AM

32. "they speaking english cause its for america"
In response to Reply # 23

niggas aint tryna read subtitles.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 11:44 AM

35. "I would have preferred subtitles."
In response to Reply # 32

Doesn't seem believable.

Mexico City
Berlin
Seoul
Mumbai
Nairobi

They speak English in what?

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 07:26 PM

38. "Hitfix explained why everyone speaks English"
In response to Reply # 35

"Oddly, all the characters speak English in every setting, regardless of whom they're encountering. Straczynski told Fienberg (in an interview to be published later this week) that the approach is more or less like in "The Hunt for Red October," where we will all hear English when people are alone with their countrymen, but as the characters start to have more prolonged encounters, the Berlin safecracker might speak German in front of the confused Chicago cop. I suppose we should be thankful for one less thing to complicate a show that's already hard to follow by design, but given how comfortable other current dramas like "The Americans" are with extended subtitle sequences, it's the most retrograde element in a show that's otherwise pushing a lot of boundaries."

I agree with their approach. Since everyone besides Will and Nomi are in America, that means 6 of the storylines would entirely be in a foreign language with subtitles. That doesn't help for ease of viewing. I can buy into the conceit that these people are actually speaking their native language with each other, but it's in English for our sake.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

spades
44258 posts
Tue Jun-09-15 12:54 PM

48. "Good shit."
In response to Reply # 38

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

jrocc
Charter member
6518 posts
Fri Aug-14-15 01:37 AM

79. "i thought this was understood for most films"
In response to Reply # 38

where people in another country are speaking english with each other.

astralblak
20029 posts

24. "EP 7"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts

25. "EP 8"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts

26. "EP 9"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 05:09 PM

37. "It's a bit too melodramatic and sentimental at times"
In response to Reply # 26

also for as plot driven as it is, all the characters make it seem like it's kinda slowed to a crawl from ep 6-9

it's not great, but I def enjoy it. the meta stuff on action movie making is cool too because the Wachowski's even seem to be winking at their aesthetics

and I don't think there is any way any of these plot lines are wrapped up in one season. Seems like this gunna need another season at least.

spades
44258 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 01:48 PM

57. "lord yes."
In response to Reply # 37

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:28 PM

60. "This episode was especially melodramatic"
In response to Reply # 37

I agree that the narrative has slowed to a crawl. Just when it looks like we're getting somewhere, they pull back and get the sensates talking to each other about their feelings.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Sun Jun-21-15 11:58 AM

76. "Hope this is as bad as it gets"
In response to Reply # 26

There were a couple moments in here, but too much shit left unsaid with the blond girl. It was frustrating and I wanted to ffwd through her, but I didn't thinking they would explain what's going on, but they didn't, which made me like it all the less.

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 12:17 AM

27. "EP 10"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 08:23 PM

39. "good ass episode"
In response to Reply # 27

spades
44258 posts
Thu Jun-18-15 01:30 PM

75. "I'm just trudging along. "
In response to Reply # 27

I really don't like this shit. It's too slow, and busy all at the same time. I really don't think they have a good grasp of the story. This is all character building and NO plot.

I'll finish it, I'm so far along I might as well - I ain't enjoying it tho. :/

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 12:17 AM

28. "EP 11"
In response to Reply # 0

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 10:49 PM

65. "Hot Fiyah"
In response to Reply # 28

The Capheus/Sun fight scene was great. And the Wolfgang/Lito scene from the previous episode was nice too. I need more of THIS in the show. No matter what, The Wachowskis know how to shoot action sequences.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

astralblak
20029 posts
Sun Jun-07-15 12:19 AM

29. "EP 12"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 07:21 PM

43. "well, in the end it's just good / enjoyable (Spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 29

I wonder how many seasons they gunna try to make of this cause there is just so many questions in terms of the plot that need explaining.

also the theme and concept needs so much analytical unpacking.

the best parts were the fight scenes

the worst was the dialogue. yikes it was really fucn bad in places

also they keep trying to pretend it's about ALL 8, but they stuck to white hero narrative in the end and really made The Cop and the DJ girl the center of the show. Black Van Damn, Korean woman, and German criminal dude are easily the most entertaining story lines of the bunch, and that's who they need to focus on IMO.

also they really bitched out not killing ANY of the core 8, since there is a possibility that each has their OWN cluster...

furthermore, they really have no idea what to do with the Indian doctor character. She's just in scenes looking good as fuck, or crying, or all naval gazing about her marriage / not marriage, or crushing on German criminal dude.

Nomi's girlfriend is fine as hell

that's all

spades
44258 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 11:57 AM

54. "lawd yes."
In response to Reply # 43

>Nomi's girlfriend is fine as hell
>
>that's all

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 08:08 PM

66. "yeah it was just okay"
In response to Reply # 43

~~~~
~~~~

spades
44258 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 12:56 PM

41. "I don't konw how y'all are mainlining this."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't do but two at a time. too dense. too much to absorb. I will say this, this is a VERY open show.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 07:12 PM

42. "I was bored as shit. Burnt out from grad school and writing"
In response to Reply # 41

this easily took me to other places and I appreciated it's reach.

At least the Wach's fucn try. Their stories take place in worlds that look like the one I inhabit and they try and handle race, class, sex, and gender like it actually exist

spades
44258 posts
Tue Jun-09-15 11:21 AM

47. "I'm super impressed."
In response to Reply # 42

The plot is necesarily messy and I'm not sure it actually suits the viewer even if it does suit the narrative.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

spades
44258 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 11:22 AM

56. "Can we talk about how Netflix obviously has NO faith in this show?"
In response to Reply # 0

How they gon release OINTB a WEEK early, while this is still in it's inception faze?

lol

I bet ain't NO one talking about this now.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 02:19 PM

58. "which is crazy cause it looked expensive as fuck to make"
In response to Reply # 56

i really don't see it's presence anywhere on line

not tumblr

not my fb timeline

no IG memes

even in here it's basically like 3-4 of us kinda talkin' a bout it

Auk_The_Blind
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
1282 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 03:24 PM

59. "RE: Can we talk about how Netflix obviously has NO faith in this show?"

Huh? Orange... had been scheduled for June 12th from all the promos I had seen.

But yeah, it's not like a convoluted sci-fi thriller that is prominently about fluidity in sexual and gender identity is the easiest thing to market. I don't think they're sweeping it under the rug, just recognizing it's a superniche show that they probably hope can build that cult status.

spades
44258 posts
Tue Jun-16-15 11:59 AM

68. "RE: Can we talk about how Netflix obviously has NO faith in this show?"
In response to Reply # 59

>Huh? Orange... had been scheduled for June 12th from all the
>promos I had seen.

Nah, they released it a week early. It even said "Out Early for good behavior."
>
>But yeah, it's not like a convoluted sci-fi thriller that is
>prominently about fluidity in sexual and gender identity is
>the easiest thing to market. I don't think they're sweeping it
>under the rug, just recognizing it's a superniche show that
>they probably hope can build that cult status.

Perhaps it was always intended to be Niche, but a sci-fi show made by the Wachowski's - what about that says "niche"?

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Auk_The_Blind
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
1282 posts
Tue Jun-16-15 09:25 PM

72. "RE: Can we talk about how Netflix obviously has NO faith in this show?"
In response to Reply # 68

>>Huh? Orange... had been scheduled for June 12th from all
>the
>>promos I had seen.
>
>Nah, they released it a week early. It even said "Out Early
>for good behavior."

It was released 3 hours early. Not joking.

>>
>>But yeah, it's not like a convoluted sci-fi thriller that is
>>prominently about fluidity in sexual and gender identity is
>>the easiest thing to market. I don't think they're sweeping
>it
>>under the rug, just recognizing it's a superniche show that
>>they probably hope can build that cult status.
>
>Perhaps it was always intended to be Niche, but a sci-fi show
>made by the Wachowski's - what about that says "niche"?

Wachowskis in collaboration with "some guy only nerds devoted to Babylon-motherfucking-Five have ever heard of".

I mean, from a consumer perspective that Wachowski tag might say "populist action epic" (or whatever), but considering what it actually is I don't think Netflix is in a position to sell it as such.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Jun-18-15 10:30 AM

74. "OITNB is a binge show though..."

people finish watching it in a week or so...that shouldn't impact this show.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:50 PM

62. "I'm up to ep 6.So far I dig it."
In response to Reply # 0

Lotta worse shows to watch at this time of the year.It's a little bit pretentious but it has something to say.

The cop character pissed me off when he was trying to arrest East Indian dude when it was becoming clear that it was a supernatural thing goin' on.Even after he was inexplicably jumping from car to car, dude didn't hit the brakes of the car.

I called that Nomi was a dude from the beginning I also thought that Mexican chick was too. The Mexican part of the show should be its own show, I'd watch a sitcom based on that.The episode where he feels Korean chick's period was funny as hell to me.

Van Damme's friend is waaay more interesting than he will ever be.I wish he was Van Damme.The way the African gangsters and police curse is so unnatural...

Up to where i'm at Blonde Brit lady is boring and is only used for filler. It's just her mopping around and smoking. The people she was hangin' with don't fit her at all.

I like it a lot though. I'm in for the long haul.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 04:16 PM

63. "RE: I'm up to ep 6.So far I dig it."
In response to Reply # 62

>Lotta worse shows to watch at this time of the year.It's a
>little bit pretentious but it has something to say.

It's too melodramatic at times. I'm on episode 9 and I really want them to start moving the main story along. I can deal with each individual's storyline if its interesting. Whether or not this show works turns on that. If all 8 stories are interesting, you don't need the main storyline to advance so quickly. But as some of the stories are on the slow side, you start getting anxious for them to move along.
>
>The cop character pissed me off when he was trying to arrest
>East Indian dude when it was becoming clear that it was a
>supernatural thing goin' on.Even after he was inexplicably
>jumping from car to car, dude didn't hit the brakes of the
>car.
>

Yeah, I don't like how nonchalant most of these characters are about what's going on with them. Kinda like, "Hey, I'm Will. Who are you? Cool. Let's stand here and talk."

>I called that Nomi was a dude from the beginning I also
>thought that Mexican chick was too. The Mexican part of the
>show should be its own show, I'd watch a sitcom based on
>that.The episode where he feels Korean chick's period was
>funny as hell to me.

That is definitely the most interesting story to me followed by Sun in Korea, Kala in India and Capheus in Nigeria. Hernando is my dude though. He really brings some levity and humanity to that storyline.

>
>Van Damme's friend is waaay more interesting than he will ever
>be.I wish he was Van Damme.The way the African gangsters and
>police curse is so unnatural...

I don't have a problem with Van Damme actually. I find it hilarious however that everyone calls him "Van Damme" like that's his name now! LOL!

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 06:22 PM

64. "RE: I'm up to ep 6.So far I dig it."
In response to Reply # 63

>Lotta worse shows to watch at this time of the year.It's a
>little bit pretentious but it has something to say.

>It's too melodramatic at times. I'm on episode 9 and I really >want them to start moving the main story along. I can deal with >each individual's storyline if its interesting. Whether or not >this show works turns on that. If all 8 stories are interesting, >you don't need the main storyline to advance so quickly. But as >some of the stories are on the slow side, you start getting >
>anxious for them to move along.

My girl feels the same, she keeps saying "Are they ever gonna advance the storyline?" I appreciate the fact that they want to introduce the characters but there's a lot of scenes of people just standing and swimming naked, and pouting in front of windows.

>The cop character pissed me off when he was trying to arrest
>East Indian dude when it was becoming clear that it was a
>supernatural thing goin' on.Even after he was inexplicably
>jumping from car to car, dude didn't hit the brakes of the
>car.
>

>Yeah, I don't like how nonchalant most of these characters are >about what's going on with them. Kinda like, "Hey, I'm Will. Who >are you? Cool. Let's stand here and talk."

>I called that Nomi was a dude from the beginning I also
>thought that Mexican chick was too. The Mexican part of the
>show should be its own show, I'd watch a sitcom based on
>that.The episode where he feels Korean chick's period was
>funny as hell to me.

>That is definitely the most interesting story to me followed by >Sun in Korea, Kala in India and Capheus in Nigeria. Hernando is >my dude though. He really brings some levity and humanity to that >storyline.

I love the Sun story line as she is finally not so one-dimensional anymore, I like her conversation with Van Damme and the scene with her giving her dog, gave her some much needed personality.The Kenyan scenes are well shot, as an fellow African, I got real sentimental at the scene where Capheus and his friends are eating street bbq meat after a long day.The little splashes of Swahili here and there makes it more authentic than both Mexico and Berlin IMO.For a while I thought that the Berlin parts were in Ireland.

>
>Van Damme's friend is waaay more interesting than he will ever
>be.I wish he was Van Damme.The way the African gangsters and
>police curse is so unnatural...

>I don't have a problem with Van Damme actually. I find it >hilarious however that everyone calls him "Van Damme" like that's >his name now! LOL!

Yeah Those minibus in Africa and their drivers are so much parts of every day's life, there. I lived in South Africa for a while and I saw a lot in those things.Those dues live and die by their buses.They always have colorful nick names based on action flicks. Every city would have a Rambo, McCoy or a Commando, don't forget Cobra and Ninja.

What I really love about the Nairobi part of the story is that it's a narrative that doesn't get to be on TV much at all even though it's been an issue for a long time. Caring for sick relatives that have contracted the HIV Virus and finding the proper medication.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Tue Jun-16-15 11:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
67. "some thoughts after just finishing the season (spoiler free)"
In response to Reply # 0

- Another case of a season having too many episodes. It started off promising, then focused too much on character development instead of moving the plot along in episodes 5-9. The last three episodes were the strongest, but this season would have been better with 10, maybe even 8, episodes.

- The greatest aspect of this show, and what I assume was one of its main goals, was to show interconnectedness of humanity; the different lives people live throughout the world, while sharing the same emotions. I loved seeing the set locations, and they did a great job at exploring the 8 different cities.

- The dialogue was bad. The Wach's need a critic in their writing room.

- The early part of the season struggled with balancing the storylines. 8 main characters is tough, and it seemed like too much to handle until the end tied it together well. They should take notes from David Simon in Treme.

- A big part of the reason the Wachowski's are so polarizing is because they blatantly inject their political and spiritual beliefs into their films/TV shows, more so than most directors. I didn't mind it for the most part, but there were a few scenes and lines that felt shoehorned in.

- For being mostly no-names, the cast was pretty impressive. All of them held their own.

- Sadly, I'd be surprised if there is a Season 2. It's been mostly poor reviews, little advertisement/hype, high piracy rates, and what looked like a costly budget. If it is renewed though...

- Sense8 should be an anthology series with each season having 8 new characters/locations. I feel like we've gone about as far as we can with this group and would enjoy seeing a new cluster, with a better leader than Jonas.

- Wachowski's have some cringeworthy moments in their films/TV shows, but they're two of the most underrated and curiously hated directors in Hollywood. As others have said in here and other threads, we take them for granted. To me, they've made 4 outstanding films, are the best in the game at shooting action sequences, and aren't afraid to take risks with the content they produce. I just hope somebody in Hollywood recognizes the greatness and gives them the budget they need to keep going.

Overall it was an entertaining and unique series, but had some shortcomings that held it back from being a top tier show. I'm still a big fan of the Wachowskis, and this was much better than Jupiter Ascending. I'd watch a second season, but if a friend asked me to recommend a good new television series, I don't think I'd say Sense8.

spades
44258 posts
Tue Jun-16-15 12:02 PM

69. "This"
In response to Reply # 67

>- A big part of the reason the Wachowski's are so polarizing
>is because they blatantly inject their political and spiritual
>beliefs into their films/TV shows, more so than most
>directors. I didn't mind it for the most part, but there were
>a few scenes and lines that felt shoehorned in.

Definitely felt a little forced, too much, what have you.
>

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36970 posts
Tue Jun-16-15 06:33 PM

70. "Kinda like Crash."
In response to Reply # 69

That's what those moments felt like to me.

spades
44258 posts
Fri Jun-26-15 03:39 PM

78. "Yeah, I don't think I'm up for season 2. :/"
In response to Reply # 70

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

inpulse
5891 posts
Tue Jun-16-15 08:51 PM

71. "For me, the show was entertaining."
In response to Reply # 0

It's got great visuals, and some cool action scenes. Most of the main 8 characters, I dug. There was plenty of corny sentiment, but I didn't mind it too much because all the action stuff these days is trying to go the dark route.

Dialogue is really bad at times, and the plot wasn't well planned. There was more than a few ridiculously unbelievable moments. Finale just kind of ended; little resolution, no kind of cliffhanger or anything.

I hope it gets a second season, and if it does, I think the Wachowskis need to bring in some new writers.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 08:42 PM

77. "I agree with most of this"
In response to Reply # 71

>It's got great visuals, and some cool action scenes. Most of
>the main 8 characters, I dug. There was plenty of corny
>sentiment, but I didn't mind it too much because all the
>action stuff these days is trying to go the dark route.
>
>Dialogue is really bad at times, and the plot wasn't well
>planned. There was more than a few ridiculously unbelievable
>moments. Finale just kind of ended; little resolution, no
>kind of cliffhanger or anything.

It did just end, but I think it's implied that they are still in danger. Whispers is still alive and still looking for them.

>
>I hope it gets a second season, and if it does, I think the
>Wachowskis need to bring in some new writers.

I think different voices would definitely do this show some good. The Wachowskis can set the tone and direction for the show, but create a writer's room where you have 4 or 5 different writers taking cracks at bringing that vision to life.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

jrocc
Charter member
6518 posts
Fri Aug-14-15 12:06 PM

80. "i wasn't feeling it"
In response to Reply # 0

didn't really seem to have a solid plot. they barely showed a few of them connecting ever. some seemed to have never met each other until the very end. i know sometimes we complain about not enough development but this seemed to have a bit too much development. a lot of their individual stories, while interesting seemed to have nothing to do with the overall story. matter of fact, was there even an overall story? i STILL have no idea who Whispers is.

i won't even get into the heavy handiness of most of the story telling. i doubt i'd watch another season.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Apr-26-16 08:57 PM

81. "Big Shakeup in Season 2 (SWIPE)"
In response to Reply # 0

The original "Van Damme" has been replaced by another actor a few episodes into taping.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/sense8-aml-ameen-toby-onwumere-recasting-wachowski-netflix-series-1201744886/

‘Sense8′: Aml Ameen Replaced By Toby Onwumere In Wachowskis’ Netflix Series

by Nellie Andreeva and Mike Fleming Jr
April 26, 2016
6:23pm

The Capheus character on the Wachowski siblings’ Netflix drama series Sense8 will look a little different in Season 2. I have learned that British actor Aml Ameen, who played the role in Season 1, has abruptly left the show, and the role has been recast with recent UC San Diego MFA acting graduate Toby Onwumere.

The circumstances behind Ameen’s exit are murky but sources indicate that there had beeAmln some sort of conflict between Ameen and Sense8 co-creator/executive producer/director Lana Wachowski that flared up at the Season 2 table read in Berlin and worsened as filming progressed in India, leading to Ameen’s exit a couple of episodes in and the recasting of the role. Creative differences may have played a role in the departure.

Capheus “Van Damme,” which now will be played by Onwumere, is one of the main characters on Sense8, a young Kenyan man living in Nairobi who is striving to earn money for his AIDS-stricken mother’s medication. He is one of eight strangers around the word suddenly linked mentally and emotionally who are at the center of the sci-fi series created, written and executive-produced by Lilly and Lana Wachowski and J. Michael Straczynski. According to updates by cast members on social media, filming on Season 2 recently moved to Italy from India.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44729 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 12:23 PM

83. "Well, that sucks. He was my favorite part of the show"
In response to Reply # 81

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Apr-29-16 09:15 AM

84. "Yep, same. This is concerning..."
In response to Reply # 83

Sense8 was only just hanging on in the rotation anyway...

))<>((
forever.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 11:35 AM

82. "off topic but..."
In response to Reply # 0

i didn't realize BOTH the wachowskis came out as transgender women.

haven't watched the show.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #697381 Previous topic | Next topic