Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #697150

Subject: "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (my nigga Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon May-04-15 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (my nigga Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2015)"

Yo when this shit was announced last year I was hyped. Two film niggas befriend a girl with cancer and turn her out into film geek too. And then to hear this shit was the Sundance darling made me happy.

I'm seeing this Wednesday night. I'm not linking the trailer and I haven't seen it. I just hope my nigga Alfonso brought his A game cause his visuals always blow me away.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm in
May 04th 2015
This might get a bunch of nominations this Awards Season.
May 07th 2015
Also, Earl is the realest nigga I've seen in a movie in a while.
May 07th 2015
that trailer DOES NOT do anything for me
May 07th 2015
Saw it again with a Q&A this time.
May 28th 2015
Cliche riddled, stylistically obnoxious. A "Sundance movie."
Jun 14th 2015
damn, i usually like your reviews and opinion
Jun 14th 2015
      I'd still check it out. Those who love it seem to really love it.
Jun 15th 2015
The title reminds me that I never saw
Jun 14th 2015
Loved it
Sep 22nd 2015
first movie in a while that made me ... somebody cut onions
Sep 23rd 2015
two motherfuckin' thumbs up!
Sep 24th 2015

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon May-04-15 11:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm in"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:18 PM

2. "This might get a bunch of nominations this Awards Season. "
In response to Reply # 0

NNNNNNIIIIIIIIGGGGGGAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish more movies were like this. Real characters going through life doing real shit without the film being emotional manipulative or cloying. This has an all star cast and everyone brings there A game.

My nigga Alfonso brought his unique visual style here as well. Every frame in this film could be taken and put in an art museum. If this is a hit which I think it will be, the world is gonna be his oyster. Seriously.

If you get sick of watching shit blow up this summer then go peep this when it drops in June 12 and expands throughout the month. This is top notch shit right here.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:20 PM

3. "Also, Earl is the realest nigga I've seen in a movie in a while."
In response to Reply # 2

Not only did he have the best lines, but the kid who plays him makes his understated. He steals this movie and I hope the character gets a spin-off.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:33 PM

4. "that trailer DOES NOT do anything for me"
In response to Reply # 0

but I will watch it

bwood
8614 posts
Thu May-28-15 09:15 AM

5. "Saw it again with a Q&A this time."
In response to Reply # 0

Yo! Nick Offerman lost mad weight b. And Jesse Andrews is hilarious as well. Dude seems to have ADD.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 08:45 PM

6. "Cliche riddled, stylistically obnoxious. A "Sundance movie.""
In response to Reply # 0

With all the negative connotations that label in quotes brings. Constant cuts and obnoxious camera angle switches take away from the story, and when you combine that with the cliches and manipulation... look, I can take cliche and manipulation just fine (I dug A Fault In Our Stars), but the stylistic obnoxiousness reeeeeeally pushes it over the edge.

On top of that, it's a classic "white kid learns how to live from poor oversexed fight-ready drug-savvy black guy, endlessly patient and giving and pixie-ish cancer girl, and name actors as teachers/parents who act like themselves and dole out wisdom and the occasional laugh" story. We've seen these elements a ton, and while the acting is fine (mostly from Earl and the dying girl, as Thomas Mann is fairly charisma-less), the story's self-awareness doesn't make up for the fact that the characters don't ever really transcend their foundation in cliche. Movies like this rely on the characters really breathing, and the movie doesn't give us enough time fleshing out Earl or the dying girl-- we just get the occasional factoids our main character spouts. Any amount of appeal they generate is rooted in the performers doing good work.

Sorry, bwood. Definitely not for me, and objectively I really struggle to see this generating any sort of awards buzz outside of maybe the Spirits. It'll be divided heavily between the people who buy in to what it's selling and the people who violently reject it. My gut reaction puts me closer to the latter camp.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 10:40 PM

8. "damn, i usually like your reviews and opinion"
In response to Reply # 6

but i am hoping you are wrong on this. Didn't get a chance to see it this weekend, but will give it a shot next weekend.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 12:20 AM

9. "I'd still check it out. Those who love it seem to really love it."
In response to Reply # 8

And I'm sure multiple people will come into this post and tell you that my opinion is objectively wrong, lol.

Just know that there's a chance you'll end up on my side of the fence.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 09:44 PM

7. "The title reminds me that I never saw"
In response to Reply # 0

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 12:16 PM

10. "Loved it"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-22-15 12:19 PM by Nappy Soul

It's a sweet flick with a lot of heart. It's presented as a comedy but has part of the movie play out as a drama where characters feel real. Yes there is manipulation but storytelling is always manipulated to guide the narrative. The style fits with the teenage angst of the characters hobbies. I really enjoyed it. Made me feel a lot of different emotions ,it was funny and witsy and above all it stuck to what it wanted to say without too much bullshit on the side. Within that universe Earl and the history teacher would have been fun to explore.

PS : Even my girl who like more "Conventional comedies ( Ted , Kathryn Heigl, Kevin Hart, Mellisa McCartrhy) dug it.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 03:58 PM

11. "first movie in a while that made me ... somebody cut onions"
In response to Reply # 0

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Thu Sep-24-15 11:15 AM

12. "two motherfuckin' thumbs up!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #697150 Previous topic | Next topic