Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #691204

Subject: "Strangers (on a Train, er, Plane) (Fincher, 20??)" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 08:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Strangers (on a Train, er, Plane) (Fincher, 20??)"

Not wild about the Hollywood angle but I think a Strangers on a Train remake could be a perfect project for Fincher. Flynn's Gone Girl script was solid enough and it was a strong adaptation of a book that I didn't think they'd be able to adapt that well.
---

Ben Affleck and David Fincher will re-team on a Warner Bros remake of the Hitchcock classic thriller Strangers On A Train. Gillian Flynn, who adapted her novel Gone Girl for Fincher and Affleck, is in talks to write the script. The film will be produced by Affleck under Pearl Street, the Warner Bros-based banner he runs with Matt Damon. WB’s Jon Berg is overseeing. They are calling it Strangers.

Though the Hitchcock remake–a Warner Bros library title and an adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith novel–will be its basis, this film will be contemporary and redefined for the times. This one might be best titled Strangers On A Plane, as Affleck will play a variation of the role played by Farley Granger of a tennis pro who is bored with his marriage and wants to get divorced, but instead gets entwined with a wealthy socialite psycho who proposes the notion of exchanging murders. The twist here is a compelling one. Affleck will play a movie star–in the middle of a campaign for an Oscar during awards season–whose private plane breaks down and is given a ride to LA on another plane by a wealthy stranger. In Fincher’s hands, who knows how that goes, but it sure does seem like fertile ground.

The idea of a remake has been kicking around for some time, with Arnold Kopelson at one point attempting it but never getting it off the ground. This is an important get for Warner Bros, and top brass is high on the project: Affleck, Fincher and Flynn’s Gone Girl was a lucrative one for Fox and New Regency, grossing $350 million worldwide on a $60 million budget.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/ben-affleck-david-fincher-gillian-flynn-strangers-on-a-train-remake-warner-bros-gone-girl-1201348983/

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
intrigued.
Jan 13th 2015
I'm okay with this, if it leads to remakes of the less famous Hitchcock
Jan 13th 2015

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 08:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "intrigued."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-13-15 08:23 PM by dula dibiasi

not a fan of remaking hitch in general, but fincher and affleck have
earned my trust at this point.

the casting of the bruno role will make or break this tho.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

BrillRick
Member since Jan 05th 2005
2479 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 08:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I'm okay with this, if it leads to remakes of the less famous Hitchcock"
In response to Reply # 0

I would love a remake of my favorite Hitchcock movie, Shadow of a Doubt. I would be fine with Affleck as Uncle Charlie, and maybe Hailee Steinfeld as Young Charlie.

twitter: lategordon

Check out my podcast Long and Late Movie Show: http://itunes.com/podcast?id=498789655

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #691204 Previous topic | Next topic